Titles of the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm wondering too if the granting of dukedoms upon marriage will be discontinued following the Noos scandal involving Inaki/Cristina former duchess de Palma de Mallorca.

Choosing the mother's surname first is not an exception, years ago the father's surname was the default and parents had to petition if they wanted the mother's surname first. Now parents must choose the surname order, there's no default. The law contemplates the option of a hyphenated surname but under conditions that I don't think would be met in this case.

Mbruno may have been referring to social custom, rather than law. Among children born within the first year following the amendment to the naming law, only 0.5% of parents chose for their children to bear the mother's surname first.

There's no comparison between Leonor's (hypothetical) children and Elena's and Cristina's, who are dynastically irrelevant.

When Elena's first child was born it was very possible that he would someday accede to the throne, given that Felipe was then still unmarried.

Last edited:
I'm wondering too if the granting of dukedoms upon marriage will be discontinued following the Noos scandal involving Inaki/Cristina former duchess de Palma de Mallorca.

That would be my expectation. The dukedom policy was invented for the marriages of Infantas Elena and Cristina. Previous Infantas/Infantes whose marriages were considered equal and whose spouses moved to Spain had their spouses created Infantes/Infantas of Spain, until King Juan Carlos put an end to that policy with his Royal Decree 1368/1987 which denied the status of Infanta/Infante to spouses.

As I wrote in another thread: My prediction is that unless the monarchy is considerably more secure by the time the Infanta Sofía marries, no title of nobility will be granted to the Infanta or her spouse, who will at most become an Excmo. Sr. Likewise, in contrast to Jaime de Marichalar and Iñaki Urdangarin, my guess is that a spouse of Infanta Sofía will not become even a part-time working royal. I think the King, in the present conditions, will minimize the risk of royal scandal by keeping the number of family members who are viewed as royals pared down.

Last edited:
That would be my expectation. The dukedom policy was invented for the marriages of Infantas Elena and Cristina. Previous Infantas/Infantes whose marriages were considered equal and whose spouses moved to Spain had their spouses created Infantes/Infantas of Spain, until King Juan Carlos put an end to that policy with his Royal Decree 1368/1987 which denied the status of Infanta/Infante to spouses.

The late Infanta Pilar was the 1st to receive a dukedom when she was made Duchess of Badajoz in 1967 and my guess is Juan Carlos followed his fathers example.

The late Infanta Pilar was the 1st to receive a dukedom when she was made Duchess of Badajoz in 1967 and my guess is Juan Carlos followed his fathers example.

I meant in relation to equal/dynastic marriages whose issue were included in the line of succession. In relation to unequal marriages, Infante Jaime was the first Infante/Infanta to receive a dukedom for his morganatic spouse to share. He married Emanuela de Dampierre in 1935 and she became Duchess of Segovia. However, Infante José Eugenio had received a countdom for his morganatic wife two years earlier, in 1933. The marriages of Infantas Pilar and Margarita were also considered unequal and their issue were excluded from the line of succession.

The mothers surname fiorst was also done for the present duke of Alba and i beleive one of his brothers. And i agree the for Leonor's children the mother'f forenmae will come first except iof she marries another Bourbon but the it would twice Bourbon

That's correct. Both Cayetana's eldest son (the current duke of Alba) and her third son are Fitz-James Stuart y Martínez de Irujo, while the others are Martínez de Irujo y Fitz-James Stuart.

Given that her second son is treated as the heir of his maternal great-grandfather (duke of Híjar and all the titles (in practice) attached to it) to avoid the title from fully merging with the dukedom of Alba for future generations, it makes sense that for him the Fitz-James Stuart surname wasn't put first - unlike for brother #1 and #3 (probably considered the spare for the duke of Alba title if the current duke wouldn't have had any children).

:previous: The situation the other European kingdoms is the same as in Spain: The legal title of the queen consort does not include the word Consort, but nonetheless there is a clear difference in constitutional function between a queen regnant and a queen consort.
One of my pet peeves with royal watching is the a-few-years-old tendency by some to style the wife of a king as queen consort.
Queen consort is a position not a title.

One of my pet peeves with royal watching is the a-few-years-old tendency by some to style the wife of a king as queen consort.

I don't mind queen consort but I my pet peeve is when a certain British paper refers to Letizia as the Spanish Monarch ;)

I don't mind queen consort but I my pet peeve is when a certain British paper refers to Letizia as the Spanish Monarch ;)

It seems that in their minds, a queen or king who is not styled "Consort" is necessarily a monarch. There was also talk that if the late husband of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark had been styled King without "Consort" it would have made him a monarch. Apparently it is not always understood that European monarchies do not apply the style "Consort" to those who hold the position of queen consort/king consort.

As An Ard Ri explained the heir was his father and not don Carlos. In any case it doesn't matter if he was created an Infante or if he had been born an Infante (as the King's brother, for example), his wife wouldn't be an infanta unless the King created her an infanta. Besides the title of Queen Consort, the only title shared after marriage in the Spanish Royal Family is that of Pince or Princess of Asturias.

Precisely. The Royal Decree of 1987 includes that Infanta/Infante and HRH apply to children of the King/Queen and children of the Princess/Prince of Asturias, but the provision does not apply to their spouses.

Article 3

The King's sons and daughters not possessing the Dignity of Prince or Princess of the Asturias, as well as the children of the latter Prince or Princess, shall be Infantes or Infantas of Spain, respectively, and shall be addressed as Your Royal Highness. Their spouses, whilst they continue being so or stay a widower or widow, shall be entitled to the form of address and honours The King, as a gracious decision, may grant them, pursuant to the powers vested upon Him by paragraph f) of Article 62 of the Constitution.

Likewise, The King may grant the dignity of Infante or Infanta and the form of address of Your Royal Highness to those persons he shall deem fit of such a grace given the exceptional circumstances that concur.

Except as provided in the present Article and the preceding one hereof, and save as provided in Article 5 hereof for members of the Regency, no person whatsoever may:

a) Use the title of Prince or Princess of the Asturias or employ any other title whatsoever traditionally attached to the Successor to the Crown of Spain;

b) Use the title of Infante or Infanta of Spain.

c) Receive the forms of address and honours pertaining to the Dignities mentioned in paragraphs a) and b) above.

It seems that in their minds, a queen or king who is not styled "Consort" is necessarily a monarch. There was also talk that if the late husband of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark had been styled King without "Consort" it would have made him a monarch. Apparently it is not always understood that European monarchies do not apply the style "Consort" to those who hold the position of queen consort/king consort.
That is definitely the case. From what I've seen on social media it originated in two certain English speaking nations where: 1. Someone made an announcement that he now regrets about his future wife being styled as Princess Consort and 2. People, because of some very sloppy reporting, can't seem to fathom the notion that titles aren't personal but transferable and that there have been numerous queens before the current one and that there, G*d willing, will be many after.

That is definitely the case. From what I've seen on social media it originated in two certain English speaking nations where: 1. Someone made an announcement that he now regrets about his future wife being styled as Princess Consort and 2. People, because of some very sloppy reporting, can't seem to fathom the notion that titles aren't personal but transferable and that there have been numerous queens before the current one and that there, G*d willing, will be many after.

The RD 1368/1987 says that the "consort of the King of Spain" is styled Queen, but the Spanish constitution actually uses the term "Queen consort" explicitly while not assigning any specific title to the "consort of the Queen", thus making a distinction between the two types of queens.

Artículo 58

La Reina consorte o el consorte de la Reina no podrán asumir funciones constitucionales, salvo lo dispuesto para la Regencia.
In fact, it is a matter of linguistics. "Queen" may refer to the Head of State, the wife or widow of the Head of State, or, in some countries, the wife of a Head of State upon abdication. The ambiguity is solved by adding a qualifier such as Queen consort, Queen dowager, Queen emerita, etc.

I don't see anything wrong with adding a determiner/qualifier when linguistically required.

I don’t know if this is the appropriate thread but I always wanted to ask about the current and previous dukes of Calabria discontinuing handing titles to member of the family like the Infante Alfonso, Duke of Calabria created both of his daughters as duchess’s.
Did king Juan Carlos ask them to discontinue this tradition not to conflict with Spanish nobility.
Also, there are a lot of Spanish Nobels who hold two Sicilies and Italian prince/as Nobel titles like the late duchess of Medina Sedona who was Princess of Montalbano, are those titles recognized in Spain?

In the Netherlands The King or The Regent is the legal name for the (acting) head of state, regardless any gender.

When a Queen assumes the throne, a Bill is passed through Parliament simply stating: "As long as a Queen bears the Crown, in all legal established formulas, in all titles of office, and in all official namings the word The King is replaced by The Queen with all necessary linguistics to this effect".

I don’t know if this is the appropriate thread but I always wanted to ask about the current and previous dukes of Calabria discontinuing handing titles to member of the family like the Infante Alfonso, Duke of Calabria created both of his daughters as duchess’s.
Did king Juan Carlos ask them to discontinue this tradition not to conflict with Spanish nobility.
Also, there are a lot of Spanish Nobels who hold two Sicilies and Italian prince/as Nobel titles like the late duchess of Medina Sedona who was Princess of Montalbano, are those titles recognized in Spain?

I am not sure, but I believe the Principality of Montalban was linked to the Duchy of Fernandina. If so, the title lapsed in the Kingdom of Spain in 1845 when the legal successor did not comply with the required procedure for succession under Spanish nobiliary law. The title was recognized, however, in the Kingdom of the Two Siciles and, later, in the Kingdom of Italy, but, like all titles of nobility in Italy, it was abolished by the republican constitution of 1948. From that year onwards, the title had no legal recognition, either in Spain or in Italy, until King Juan Carlos I in 1993 restored the title in favor of Doña Pilar González de Gregorio, daughter of the XXI Duchess of Medina Sidonia, to whom her mother and her brothers had agreed to cede the title. A link to the royal decree of rehabilitation of the title as published in the official State Gazette is found here .

In 2012, however, the Count of Niebla (now the current Duke of Medina Sidonia), Don Leoncio Alonso González de Gregorio y Álvarez de Toledo, on behalf of his (then underage) eldest son, Don Alonso-Enrique González de Gregorio Viñamata, won a lawsuit against his sister preventing her from using the title of Duchess of Fernandina and the rehabilitation of the title was officially revoked by the royal decree linked here with the corresponding letters patent of the title returned to the Ministry of Justice. Don Leoncio, however, failed to gain the title for his son as his petition was ruled not to comply with the requirements for rehabilitation of titles of nobility under current Spanish nobiliary law. The title officially lapsed then in Kingdom of Spain.

Nonetheless, following a favorable opinion in 2017 of the Council of State reinterpreting D, Alonso's compliance with the requirements of Spanish nobiliary law for the rehabilitation of titles, King Felipe VI restored the title of Duke of Fernandina in favor of Don Alonso-Enrique González de Gregorio by a a new Royal Decree issued on 07/28/2020.

Last edited:
Why does the King of Spain use the titles of Archduke of Austria and Count of Habsburg? He is not a member of the House of Habsburg-Lothringen...

Yes, but in what way Juan Carlos could claim the titles of Habsburgs, as he is not descended from them in male-line and the house of Habsburg is extant.

European monarchs normally transmit all their titles, titles of pretense included, to their hereditary successors, regardless of male or female line. The extant house of Habsburg(-Lorraine) is also not descended in male line from the medieval counts of Habsburg and archdukes of Austria, but from the dukes of Lorraine.

The titles Count of Habsburg and Archduke of Austria were transmitted to King Felipe I from his great-grandfather King Carlos IV, a member of the Spanish House of Austria, and to the extant house of Habsburg from their ancestor Maria Theresia, the first female head of the House of Austria.

The present monarchs of the Netherlands, Luxembourg and Monaco also bear subsidiary titles which were transmitted to them through female lines of the houses of Nassau and Grimaldi respectively.

Hopefully the press will give the family a break now that it is official.

I also find it interesting that, whereas Infanta Sofía's normal signature reads "Sofía, Infanta de España", Cristina on the other hand signed the announcement as "Cristina de Borbón" rather than "Cristina, Infanta de España".

How did she sign herself prior to her husband's corruption scandal?

A further question: Did Iñaki Urdangarin retain the form of address Excelentísimo Señor after he ceased to be the consort Duke of Palma de Mallorca? Concerning the spouses of Infantas and Infantes, the 1987 royal decree governing the titles of the Royal Family says only:

Their spouses, whilst they continue being so or stay a widower or widow, shall be entitled to the form of address and honours The King, as a gracious decision, may grant them, pursuant to the powers vested upon Him by paragraph f) of Article 62 of the Constitution.​

A further question: Did Iñaki Urdangarin retain the form of address Excelentísimo Señor after he ceased to be the consort Duke of Palma de Mallorca? Concerning the spouses of Infantas and Infantes, the 1987 royal decree governing the titles of the Royal Family says only:

Their spouses, whilst they continue being so or stay a widower or widow, shall be entitled to the form of address and honours The King, as a gracious decision, may grant them, pursuant to the powers vested upon Him by paragraph f) of Article 62 of the Constitution.​

Cristina, Infanta de España
320px-Signature_of_Infanta_Cristina%2C_Duchess_of_Palma_de_Mallorca.svg.png

I am pretty sure the Spanish royal watchers here will be able to locate a sample of Cristina's signature before 2014.

Felipe and Letizia Ortiz now sign in the same manner as Juan Carlos and Sofía de Grecia did before 2014 i.e. Felipe R. and Letizia R.

Leonor, on the other hand, now signs in the same manner as her father did when he was Prince of Asturias, ie. Leonor, Princesa de Asturias.

By implication, I assume Infanta Sofía must sign in the same manner as her aunts did, but I will leave that for the Spanish royal watchers to confirm or disprove.

As I wrote in another thread: My prediction is that unless the monarchy is considerably more secure by the time the Infanta Sofía marries, no title of nobility will be granted to the Infanta or her spouse, who will at most become an Excmo. Sr. Likewise, in contrast to Jaime de Marichalar and Iñaki Urdangarin, my guess is that a spouse of Infanta Sofía will not become even a part-time working royal. I think the King, in the present conditions, will minimize the risk of royal scandal by keeping the number of family members who are viewed as royals pared down.

It is true that Jaime de Marichalar and Iñaki Urdangarin were referred to as Duke of Lugo and Duke of Palma de Mallorca and were often cited by the prefix "Excelentísimo Señor" in Spain, even perhaps by the Royal Household itself.

However, as some legal scholars argued at the time, apparently to no avail, that was actually a misconception. When someone in Spain is given a Title of the Kingdom by royal decree, that title belongs to the grantee and can be transmitted hereditarily to his or her successors according to the terms of the concession and the Spanish nobiliary law currently in force. The use of the title also extends by courtesy to the legal spouse according to Spanish custom, which is why the husband of a Spanish duchess in her own right is addressed also as a duke.

The titles of nobility belonging to the Royal House, which are the object of the Art. 6 of the Royal Decree 1368/1987 are not, on the other hand, transferred to the grantee as an ordinary Title of the Kingdom. Instead, the King merely confers on the grantee, who must necessarily be a member of the King's family, a right to use the title, rather than the title itself. The concession of right is said in the RD to be "for life", but at the same time ex gratia, which is why the King can revoke it any time. The notion that it is the right to use the title which is being revoked, rather than the title itself, is made clear for example in the text of the RD 470/2015.

Another important aspect of Art. 6 is, furthermore, that the concession to members of the King's family of the right to use titles of nobility belonging to the Royal House is "personal", in addition to being "ex gratia" and "for life". That means, according to one interpretation, that the right of use of the title is strictly non-transferrable and does not extend, by courtesy, to the spouse, as it would be the case of an ordinary Title of the Kingdom.

Again, all that was ignored by the Spanish press (or maybe even the Royal Household) when they treated the dukedoms of Lugo and Palma as ordinary Spanish dukedoms to determine Jaime's and Iñaki's titulaire. Strictly speaking, however, if the King wanted to make sure that their sons-in-law had a title, the correct procedure would have been to bestow a hereditary peerage on each of them, which the King could have done, as the RD 1368/1987 says, under the powers granted to him by Art. 62(f) of the constitution. That would have required, however, another Royal Decree countersigned by the Prime Minister.

Could it have been the case that the Government was OK with the use for life of titles of nobility belonging to the Royal House by the Infantas Elena and Cristina, but did not agree to hereditary peerages for Jaime and Iñaki, which could then be transmitted to Felipe Froilán and Juan Valentin under the regular order of succession?

Last edited:
The signature of HRH The Infanta Sofía of Spain

292px-Sofia_spain_sig.svg.png

Last edited:
Cute. I like what Infanta Sofia did with hers. She is becoming a young lady of character.

Thank you to An Ard Ri and lula for the answers.

It is true that Jaime de Marichalar and Iñaki Urdangarin were referred to as Duke of Lugo and Duke of Palma de Mallorca and were often cited by the prefix "Excelentísimo Señor" in Spain, even perhaps by the Royal Household itself.

However, as some legal scholars argued at the time, apparently to no avail, that was actually a misconception. When someone in Spain is given a Title of the Kingdom by royal decree, that title belongs to the grantee and can be transmitted hereditarily to his or her successors according to the terms of the concession and the Spanish nobiliary law currently in force. The use of the title also extends by courtesy to the legal spouse according to Spanish custom, which is why the husband of a Spanish duchess in her own right is addressed also as a duke.

The titles of nobility belonging to the Royal House, which are the object of the Art. 6 of the Royal Decree 1368/1987 are not, on the other hand, transferred to the grantee as an ordinary Title of the Kingdom. Instead, the King merely confers on the grantee, who must necessarily be a member of the King's family, a right to use the title, rather than the title itself. The concession of right is said in the RD to be "for life", but at the same time ex gratia, which is why the King can revoke it any time. The notion that it is the right to use the title which is being revoked, rather than the title itself, is made clear for example in the text of the RD 470/2015.

Another important aspect of Art. 6 is, furthermore, that the concession to members of the King's family of the right to use titles of nobility belonging to the Royal House is "personal", in addition to being "ex gratia" and "for life". That means, according to one interpretation, that the right of use of the title is strictly non-transferrable and does not extend, by courtesy, to the spouse, as it would be the case of an ordinary Title of the Kingdom.

Again, all that was ignored by the Spanish press (or maybe even the Royal Household) when they treated the dukedoms of Lugo and Palma as ordinary Spanish dukedoms to determine Jaime's and Iñaki's titulaire. Strictly speaking, however, if the King wanted to make sure that their sons-in-law had a title, the correct procedure would have been to bestow a hereditary peerage on each of them, which the King could have done, as the RD 1368/1987 says, under the powers granted to him by Art. 62(f) of the constitution. That would have required, however, another Royal Decree countersigned by the Prime Minister.

Could it have been the case that the Government was OK with the use for life of titles of nobility belonging to the Royal House by the Infantas Elena and Cristina, but did not agree to hereditary peerages for Jaime and Iñaki, which could then be transmitted to Felipe Froilán and Juan Valentin under the regular order of succession?

Very interesting! And yes, the Royal Household did refer to the Infantas' husbands as Excelentísimo Señor and Duke (citations in the following post).

On its face it does appear inconsistent with the stipulation in Article 6 that the usage of titles conferred in that manner is "personal". However, I think it could have been a consequence of the King's decision according to Article 3 of the Royal Decree 1368/1987, which states concerning the spouses of Infantas and Infantes:

Last edited:
:previous:

Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España

Su Majestad el Rey Don Juan Carlos
Su Majestad la Reina Doña Sofía
Su Alteza Real el Príncipe de Asturias
Su Alteza Real la Princesa de Asturias
Su Alteza Real la Infanta Doña Elena
Su Alteza Real la Infanta Doña Cristina
Excmo. Señor Don Jaime de Marichalar
Excmo. Señor Don Iñaki Urdangarin

Árbol genealógico de la Familia Real
Bandera

Página oficial del enlace matrimonial de Su Alteza Real el Príncipe de Asturias con Doña Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano

- SS.AA.RR. el Infante Don Carlos y Doña Ana de Francia
- S.A.R. la Infanta Doña Margarita y el Duque de Soria
- S.A.R. la Infanta Doña Cristina y el Duque de Palma
- S.A.R. la Infanta Doña Elena y el Duque de Lugo
- S.M. el Rey y S.A.R. la Infanta Doña Pilar
- S.M. la Reina y S.A.R. el Príncipe de Asturias

Jaime de Marichalar

Jaime de Marichalar y Saenz de Tejada is the fourth of the six children of the Count of Ripalda, Amalio de Marichalar y Bruguera, who died in 1979, and Concepcion Saenz de Tejada y Fernandez de Bobadilla.
[...]
"After a number of years working in the international financial markets sector, in January 1998 he was appointed Managing Director's Senior Advisor for Credit Suisse First Boston in Madrid where the Duke and Duchess of Lugo have lived since then. He is also President of the Winterthur Foundation which promotes cultural activities.

Iñaki Urdangarin Liebaert

"Iñaki Urdangarin Liebaert is the sixth child of Juan Maria Urdangarin Berriochoa and Claire Liebaert Courtain.
"He was born in Zumárraga, Guipúzcoa, on 15 January 1968 and soon after his birth his family moved to Barcelona where he lived until the age of 16. He then moved to Vitoria where he lived for two years then returned to Barcelona, where the Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca live today."​

I think it is just a way to "upgrade" Jaime de Marichalar and Iñaki Urdangarín.

Let us say, in the same league as the late Duke of Parma creating his son's fiancée Condesa de Molina, so that his son's marriage would be dynastic.

2 Infanta's did marry into the nobility.

Jaime de Marichalar was the son of a Count and is the younger brother to the current one.
Also the late Infanta Pilar's husband was also a noble the 2nd Viscount de la Torre. Their son Don Juan Filiberto Nicolás Gómez-Acebo is the current 3rd Viscount.

2 Infanta's did marry into the nobility.

Jaime de Marichalar was the son of a Count and is the younger brother to the current one.
Also the late Infanta Pilar's husband was also a noble the 2nd Viscount de la Torre. Their son Don Juan Filiberto Nicolás Gómez-Acebo is the current 3rd Viscount.

Infanta Luisa Teresa also married into the Spanish nobility with her marriage in 1847 to the Duke of Sessa.

In Spain, the children of the infantes are "Grande de España", which is the highest title of the nobility, the rank below infante and above duke. With the title, they have the treatment of Most Excellent Sir/Madam.

For an example eventual children of Froilán de Marichalar will not be a Grande but a plain Mr/Mrs/Ms.

I am not sure whether Felipe de Marichalar's children will have a distinctive style or be plain Ms/Mr. The heirs of nonroyal Grandees also have the treatment of Most Excellent, and other legitimate children have the treatment of Most Illustrious. But I am not knowledgeable enough to say if there is a difference for the children of non-hereditary Grandees. Moreover, there is disagreement over whether "having the consideration" of Grandees implies that the children of Infantas and Infantes are properly Grandees or only have the same privileges as Grandees.

https://www.boe.es/buscar/doc.php?id=BOE-A-1987-25284

And although there are many legitimate grandchildren of Infantas and Infantes who are living, their situation is not necessarily comparable to the hypothetical future children of Felipe de Marichalar as most of them have parents who use other titles and styles. The only exceptions are the grandchildren of Infanta Pilar through her daughter and younger sons, I think.

For the wedding of the Prince and Princess of Asturias in 2004, the Royal Household referred to some, but not all, grandchildren and grandchildren-in-law of Infantas and Infantes as Excellencies:

Grandchildren of Infantes/Infantas:

Excmo. Señor Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón y Martínez-Bordiú [grandson of Infante Jaime]

Excmo. Señor Don Alvaro Jaime de Orleans-Borbón y Parodi Delfino [grandson of Infante Alfonso de Orleans]

Señor Don Juan de Bagration y Ulloa [grandson of Infanta Mercedes]

Spouses of the grandchildren of Infantes/Infantas:

Excma. Señora Doña Giovanna San Martino d'Aglie di San Germano [granddaughter-in-law of Infante Alfonso de Orleans]

Señora Doña Floriane del Río y Thorn [granddaughter-in-law of Infanta Mercedes]

Source: http://www.casareal.es/ES/Documents/boda/info/InvitadosCatedral.pdf

Last edited:
Infanta Luisa Teresa also married into the Spanish nobility with her marriage in 1847 to the Duke of Sessa.

Queen Isabella granted special permission in this case to her cousin.

Back
Top Bottom