The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

It is a question of the web in English, I do not deal because in the whole article they have not translated it and there yes. In Spain evidently the name is in Spanish, Felipe.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Aristocracy

How is Felipe related to all of Europe's royalty? When he was getting married there were several reports here in the States that Prince Felipe was related to all of Europe's royalty. Can somebody shine some light on this? Thanks.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:24 AM
Serene Highness

Saphire, that's because a lot of European royalty today are descendants of Queen Victoria of Britain via the marriage of her children to various European royal houses. Even King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia are distant relatives, as members of the Greek and Spanish houses are descendants of Queen Victoria's grandchildren (King Juan Carlos' grandmother, Queen Victoria Eugenia, is one).
Old 10-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
He was born an Infante, but when he swore the constitution he became the Prince of Asturias
Petite correction
He was born an Infante but he didn't became Prince when he swore the constitution, by then he was already Prince of Asturias he swore it because he was turning 18, he received all of his titles at age 9 on November 1st, 1977 in Asturias.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodyBrat View Post
Saphire, that's because a lot of European royalty today are descendants of Queen Victoria of Britain via the marriage of her children to various European royal houses. Even King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia are distant relatives, as members of the Greek and Spanish houses are descendants of Queen Victoria's grandchildren (King Juan Carlos' grandmother, Queen Victoria Eugenia, is one).

Thanks for the information. So indeedy he is related to all of Europes royalty.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Gentry

He is relatied to the royal of many countries not only through Queen Victoria but also due to all the inbreeding between royals.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Robijn View Post
another question.. Is Filipe also an Infante of Spain, or is that included in his title of Prince of Asturias, and if he is an Infante, does that mean that Letizia is an Infanta of Spain??
Letizia will never be an Infanta of Spain since the title Infante/a is being used by the children of the King and the children of the Crown Couple thus we have Infantas Leonor and Sofia. I asked my Spanish teacher regarding this because when I looked at the dictionary Infanta/e means son/daughter but he said that these were only used by the Familia Real. I guess this was used to consider them as ROYAL SON/DAUGHTER. I have one question though -- I looked up in Wikipedia and it says that the children of Infantas Elena and Cristina are called Grandees of Spain. What does that mean? It says -- HE Irene de Urdangarin y Borbon, Grandee of Spain. I don't know what this mean? Is it an aristocratic title like dukes/count, etc.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria View Post
Letizia will never be an Infanta of Spain since the title Infante/a is being used by the children of the King and the children of the Crown Couple thus we have Infantas Leonor and Sofia. I asked my Spanish teacher regarding this because when I looked at the dictionary Infanta/e means son/daughter but he said that these were only used by the Familia Real. I guess this was used to consider them as ROYAL SON/DAUGHTER. I have one question though -- I looked up in Wikipedia and it says that the children of Infantas Elena and Cristina are called Grandees of Spain. What does that mean? It says -- HE Irene de Urdangarin y Borbon, Grandee of Spain. I don't know what this mean? Is it an aristocratic title like dukes/count, etc.
Is a distinction link to the title, you can be counte, duke, etc... and in adittion "grande de España" if your title have this consideration. For example, Duquesa de Alba is "grande de España" is a class into a class, the aristocracy. In Spain aristocrats don't have privilegies, on the contrary, they can pay extra taxes for their titles and if they are "grandes de España", more.

For the Infantas' children, they aren't a tittle by birth but they have the distinction, utility?... who know!
Old 10-14-2007, 07:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapian View Post
Is a distinction link to the title, you can be counte, duke, etc... and in adittion "grande de España" if your title have this consideration. For example, Duquesa de Alba is "grande de España" is a class into a class, the aristocracy. In Spain aristocrats don't have privilegies, on the contrary, they can pay extra taxes for their titles and if they are "grandes de España", more.

For the Infantas' children, they aren't a tittle by birth but they have the distinction, utility?... who know!
Thanks, so the title of Grande is being used by mostly member of the RF? I'm not familiar with this title since this is the first time I've heard of it. Is this title higher than Duke/Duchess?
Old 10-14-2007, 07:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

"Grandeza de España" is the highest dignity nobility in Spain, and may or may not be associated with a noble title. In the case of the grandchildren of the Kings are "Grandes de España" but does not have a title of dukes, counts or Marquis. Today is an honorary and ceremonial dignity, without any privilege.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Gentry

I would like to make to clear east subject: only the heir of the King of Spain, has the prince title... the other children are infants or infants who are a Spanish particular form to denominate to their princess or principes... the being infant are only one Spanish particular denomination who becomes to his principes or princess. When king Juan Carlos dies or abdicates, his son Felipe will be king Felipe I SAW and Leonor will happen to be called princess Leonor. Sofía will be infant, unless her sister resigned to the rights to the crown or died... If the constitution reforms, if a son were born, this one would be infant.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Aristocracy

Letizia's title

Many people appear to refer Doña Letizia as "Princess" Letizia but her official titles are Her Royal Highness Doña Letizia, Princess of Asturias", Princess of Gerona, Princess of Viana, Duchess of Montblanc, Countess ofCervera and Lady of Balaguer.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Nobility

Yes, that's right, I already knew it
Old 04-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I would know it clearly: are they her titles which she take automaticly after said yes/si during wedding ceremony or are they her courtsey titles?
Old 04-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
I would know it clearly: are they her titles which she take automaticly after said yes/si during wedding ceremony or are they her courtsey titles?
I am not quite sure how these things are treated in Spain. All the legitimate children of the king are infante/infanta but the women who are married to the infantes are styled as Doña. Even Queen Sofia is refered as Doña Sofia, unless addressed as La Reina speciafically, in Spain. I suppose, for it is not a custom of the royal house of Spain to style the members of the king's family as princes/princesses, they automatically employ the commonly used style of Doña to the wives of the king's sons. Letizia may have automatically become the Princess (consort) of Asturias upon her marriage to the Prince of Asturias but I am not quite sure that the king granted the style of HRH or SAR to his son's wife.

In Spain, women do not change their surnames after their marriage anyway that she is not addressed as Princess Felipe, perhaps ? Had she married to a member of the British royal family who is styled as HRH Prince so & so, then, she would have been styled as Letizia, the Princess so & so with her husband's title, I suppose, but in Spain, there is no need because their customs are different from those of ours.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

About Inaki: I can't find o SRF web that he's Duke of Palam de Mallorca. He is styled as HE the Duke of PdM. (wikipedia)
Boletín Oficial del Estado. Texto del Documento
Old 04-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
Anout Inaki: I can't find o SRF web that he's Duke of Palam de Mallorca. He is styled as HE the Duke of PdM. (wikipedia)
Boletín Oficial del Estado. Texto del Documento
I understand that Iñaki Urdangarín is styled as His Excellency the Duke of Palma de Mallorca because he is married to HRH Infanta Cristina the Duchess of Parma de Mallorca. In Spain, they seem to do these things differently. Infanta Cristina's elder sister Infanta Elena was created as the Duchess of Lugo upon her marriage to Don Jaime de Marichalar y Sáenz de Tejada who is now styled as HE the Duke (consort) of Lugo.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Serene Highness

you got their styles quite right. those titles were given to them upon their marriage by the King. so, collectively, Infanta Elena and Jaime are known as the Duke and Duchess of Lugo while Iñaki and Infanta Cristina are known as the Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Majesty

does the title of Asturias with any special duty, i know there is an award what more?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
does the title of Asturias with any special duty, i know there is an award what more?
The title doesn't come with any special duty, I think. besides those of the crown prince, which aren't fixed. The Prince of Asturias Awards(and the Prince of Asturias Foundation) are a recent creation:

"The Prince of Asturias Foundation was founded in the city of Oviedo on 24th September 1980 at a formal ceremony presided over by His Royal Highness the Prince of Asturias, heir to the throne of Spain, who was accompanied by his parents, their Majesties the King and Queen of Spain.

The essential aims of the Foundation are to consolidate links between the Principality and the Prince of Asturias, and to contribute to encouraging and promoting scientific, cultural and humanistic values that form part of mankind's universal heritage."
Quote from the Prince of Asturias Foundation webpage( Introduction - The Prince of Asturias Foundation )

They have also created a Prince of Girona Foundation
Prince of Girona Foundation
and the International Prince of Viana-Navarra Prize:
:: International Prince of Viana ::

But everything is new, so until now wasn't passed with the title.

Tags
juan carlos i, king of jerusalem, king of spain, spain, titles