The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-07-2019, 08:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I understand Don Juan is an HE ( or Excelentísimo Señor) because he is a son of an infanta of Spain and, therefore, is given the same style of a grandee. However, if I am not mistaken, his hereditary title of viscount is not attached to a grandeeship of Spain. Does that mean that his heir ( the future viscount) will be only Ilustrísimo Señor ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Maybe his HE was acquired by marriage. Again I don’t think the title of Vuscount de La Torre is attached to a grandeeship, but I may be wrong . Does anybody know ?
I agree. Which titles are attached to grandeeships can be looked up from the Diputacion de la Grandeza's search form.
» Guía de Títulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The infantas were granted Life peerages upon marriage, meaning neither Lugo or Palma could be inherited. Their kids are don/donna as kids of infantas and that is all they will be.
In today's Spain, even commoners may be called Doña/Don. Children of Infantas/Infantes, assuming they do not enjoy royal status themselves, may be styled with the special honorific Su Excelencia Doña/Don or Excelentísima Señora Doña/Excelentísimo Señor Don.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
Wasnt the duKe of Calabria created an Infante by the King in recognition for being the heir to spain at one time? That might explain why his wife is not an infanta

By the Royal Decree 1368/1987 of King Juan Carlos, the children of the King/Queen (apart from the Prince/Princess of Asturias) and the children of the Prince/Princess of Asturias are automatically qualified as Infanta/Infante of Spain, but otherwise, new grants of the title of Infanta/Infante are to be made in "exceptional circumstances" only. (ETA: This represented a substantial change from the tradition of creating all dynastic spouses of Infantas/Infantes and dynastic grandchildren of reigning kings and queens Infanta/Infante.)

According to the Royal Decree creating HRH Carlos de Borbón-Dos Sicilias an Infante of Spain, the "exceptional circumstances" were that he was the representative of a dynastic line connected historically to the Crown of Spain. I suppose no "exceptional circumstances" were relevant to his wife, and she was not created an Infanta for that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The current Infantas of Spain (by birth). are:
  • Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo (eldest daughter of Juan Carlos and Sofía, King and Queen of Spain);
  • Infanta Cristina, Duchess of Palma de Mallorca (youngest daughter of Juan Carlos and Sofía, King and Queen of Spain);
  • Infanta Leonor of Spain (eldest daughter of Felipe and Letizia, Princes of Asturias);
  • Infanta Sofia of Spain (younger daughter of Felipe and Letizia, Princes of Asturias);
  • Infanta Pilar, Duchess of Badajoz (eldest sister of King Juan Carlos of Spain);
  • Infanta Margarita, Duchess of Soria (youngest sister of King Juan Carlos of Spain);
All of the Infantas/Infantes are "of Spain", although the territorial designation is typically unused within the country.
Los hijos del Rey que no tengan la condición de Príncipe o Princesa de Asturias y los hijos de este Príncipe o Princesa serán Infantes de España y recibirán el tratamiento de Alteza Real. Sus consortes, mientras lo sean o permanezcan viudos, tendrán el tratamiento y honores que el Rey, por vía de gracia, les conceda en uso de la facultad que le atribuye el apartado f) del artículo 62 de la Constitución.

https://www.boe.es/buscar/doc.php?id=BOE-A-1987-25284

Old 07-08-2019, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

One thing I'm not sure if if the future wife of HE Don Felipe de Marichalar can be styled HE Doña X ?

August 25th, 1270 -Death of King Louis IX of France
Old 07-08-2019, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
One thing I'm not sure if if the future wife of HE Don Felipe de Marichalar can be styled HE Doña X ?

I am not sure either, but I think she can. Normally the wife of a grandee is also entitled to the style of Excellency. The text of the Royal Decree is somewhat ambiguous because it doesn't explicitly say that the children of Infantes are grandees; instead, the text only says that the children of Infantes enjoy "the consideration of grandees". In practical terms, most legal experts I researched say there is no difference, except that the "consideration of grandee" is not hereditary. Hence, Froilán's children for example won't be HEs.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Yes, she would be. At the wedding of the Prince and Princess of Asturias in 2004, all spouses of non-royal children of Infantas were styled Excma. Señora/Excmo. Señor.

Children of Infantas:

Excma. Señora Doña Simoneta Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón [daughter of Infanta Pilar]

Excmo. Señor Don Juan Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón
Vizconde de la Torre [son of Infanta Pilar]

Excmo. Señor Don Bruno Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón [son of Infanta Pilar]

Excmo. Señor Don Fernando Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón [son of Infanta Pilar]

Excma. Señora Doña María Zurita y de Borbón [daughter of Infanta Margarita]

Excma. Señora Doña Sandra Torlonia
Condesa Lequio di Assaba [daughter of Infanta Beatriz]

Excmo. Señor Don Marco Torlonia
Príncipe de Civitella-Cesi [son of Infanta Beatriz]

Excma. Señora Doña Olimpia Torlonia [daughter of Infanta Beatriz]

Excma. Señora Doña María Teresa Marone y de Borbón [daughter of Infanta María Cristina]

Spouses of the children of Infantas:

Excmo. Señor Don José Miguel Fernández Sastrón [son-in-law of Infanta Pilar]

Excma. Señora Doña Bárbara Cano de la Plaza [daughter-in-law of Infanta Pilar]

Excma. Señora Doña Emanuela Pratolongo, Viuda de Borbón Dampierre [daughter-in-law of Infante Jaime]

Excma. Señora Blagena Svitakova [daughter-in-law of Infanta Beatriz]

Grandchildren of Infantes/Infantas:

Excmo. Señor Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón y Martínez-Bordiú [grandson of Infante Jaime]

Excmo. Señor Don Alvaro Jaime de Orleans-Borbón y Parodi Delfino [grandson of Infante Alfonso de Orleans]

Señor Don Juan de Bagration y Ulloa [grandson of Infanta Mercedes]

Spouses of the grandchildren of Infantes/Infantas:

Excma. Señora Doña Giovanna San Martino d'Aglie di San Germano [granddaughter-in-law of Infante Alfonso de Orleans]

Señora Doña Floriane del Río y Thorn [granddaughter-in-law of Infanta Mercedes]

Source: http://www.casareal.es/ES/Documents/...osCatedral.pdf

Tags
faq, grande, infanta, infante, juan carlos i, king of jerusalem, king of spain, prerogatives, spain, titles