Titles, Names, Succession & Precedence after King Felipe's Accession

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Acoording to the Royal Decree of 1987 about Royal Titles she will.
" Those children of the King other then the Prince or Princess of Asturias
and the children of said Prince or Princess are Infantes of Spain. "

See here: Infantes de España

You have to scroll down to see the Royal Decree of 1987.

Currently there's only one Infante in Spain using that title ,the king's cousin Infante Carlos,Duke of Calabria and Count of Caserta .

Infante Carlos, Duke of Calabria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Has there been any announcement on Juan Carlos & Sofia's title post abdication?

I do like HRH Don Juan Carlos,Infante de Espana.

No information yet. When the King will no longer have the title of King, then he is automatically Infante de España. Like his father:

Su Alteza Real Don Juan de Borbón y Battenberg, Infante de España, Conde de Barcelona.

I think it would be nice when Don Juan Carlos will use the same title as his father (Conde de Barcelona).

It's official.

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, keep the title of King and Queen, with treatment of Majesty.

In protocol they will receive the same honors set for the Prince or Princess of Asturias.

They will be at the events after Infanta Sofía.

Last edited:
:whistling: I can't see any potential problems with that decision. None at all.

It's official.

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, keep the title of King and Queen, with treatment of Majesty.

In protocol they will receive the same honors set for the Prince or Princess of Asturias.

So little Sofia takes precedent over the former king and queen?

A whole new meaning to 'Los Reyes' !

It's official.

To be honest...I could not see King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofa settling for anything less! After all, they have been majesties for almost 39 years!

I like the fact that Juan Carlos and Sofia will keep their titles so long as Juan Carlos doesn't do a Abert II of Belgium. Sofia I think will be a major assest and I hope she continues to appear in public and attend offical events

Last edited:
If felipe would die before Leonore becomes 18 WHO Will regent for her? The state? Elena?

If felipe would die before Leonore becomes 18 WHO Will regent for her? The state? Elena?

If you follow the Dutch and British examples, it will be Queen Letizia

Both the Infantas Elena and Cristina are no longer part of the Royal family and their profiles have been removed from the Casa Real website.

The Royal family post abdication

H.M.The King
H.M.The Queen
HRH The Princess of Asturias
HRH The Infanta Sofia
H.M.King Juan Carlos
H.M.Queen Sofia

The Kings Family
HRH Infanta Elena & children
HRH Infanta Cristina/Inaki & children
HRH Infanta Pilar
HRH INfanta Margarita & HE The Duke of Soria

If you follow the Dutch and British examples, it will be Queen Letizia

It's the same in Spain. Letizia would regent until Leonor became 18.

I also read that Elena, despite not being part of the Royal Family anymore, will be the one to take on Leonor's "official agenda" and represent the Crown in her name until she becomes 18.

Last edited:
Immunity

Here's an article about one of the reasons why Juan Carlos and Sofia will retain their titles:

Spanish king and queen to retain titles and immunity after abdication | World news | theguardian.com

A royal decree to be passed by the council of ministers on Wednesday will ensure that the royal couple maintain their immunity from civil or criminal prosecution.

Almost as soon as the king announced his abdication this month there was speculation as to whether the royals would retain their immunity. The government, caught off guard, began drawing up special legislation within 24 hours of the announcement.

It's the same in Spain. Letizia would regent until Leonor became 18.

I also read that Elena, despite not being part of the Royal Family anymore, will be the one to take on Leonor's "official agenda" and represent the Crown in her name until she becomes 18.

Which make perfect sense.

Both the Infantas Elena and Cristina are no longer part of the Royal family and their profiles have been removed from the Casa Real website.

The Royal family post abdication

H.M.The King
H.M.The Queen
HRH The Princess of Asturias
HRH The Infanta Sofia
H.M.King Juan Carlos
H.M.Queen Sofia

The Kings Family
HRH Infanta Elena & children
HRH Infanta Cristina/Inaki & children
HRH Infanta Pilar
HRH INfanta Margarita & HE The Duke of Soria

This is quite interesting, thanks for sharing. And as far as I see it this hasn't been noted much.

I checked the website on the day of the proclamation and wondered how it looked like before, who was mentioned ...

That Inaki had been "erased" when the accusations started - ok I knew that. But in the first moment I thought "Did the change it now because of a probable accusation of Cristina?"

Back
Top Bottom