The Spanish Royals and Bull Fighting

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

susan alicia

Heir Presumptive
Country
Netherlands
Does the spanish royal family like bull fighting?

(I hate it, sometimes I catch a glimpse on tv and I find it upsetting)

King Juan Carlos and Infanta Elena like bullfigthing (Jaime also). The late Countess of Barcelona (the King's mother) was a huge "aficionada". Queen Sofia doesn't like it, the same for Cristina (i think) and for Felipe (altough he assisted one few months ago with Letizia, but was because the Madrid's Festivities, "Fiestas de San Isidro", and the near wedding). The King and the Dukes of Lugo usualy assist to some of the races during this festivities.

It is an element of the rich Spanish culture! It should be preserved as long as it lasts!!

Originally posted by laskaris@Jul 13th, 2004 - 8:47 pm
It is an element of the rich Spanish culture! It should be preserved as long as it lasts!!
i agree with laskaris. bullfighting is an art, yes an art, older than many modern things we take for granted. being a vegetarian i found eating meat much worse than bullfights, the slaguhter houses employ horrible techniques and nobody says anything, but everybody is against bullfighting.

bull fighting is to Spain and Mexico and so on, what the rodeo is to the USA and Canada, what camel driving is to Arabia, cockfights to England, etc, etc, etc

well... imo, the fact that it's tradition isn't a good statement to support it. i think some traditions, like this one, have to be left behind...

Let's say that this particular tradition is left behind,now ,this minute!! From tomorrow you may see criminality indicators go to the top!! it is not that simple!

laskaris  Posted: Jul 17th, 2004 - 2:09 am

From tomorrow you may see criminality indicators go to the top!! it is not that simple!
That is a good point .... there are some who write that American Football is civilized barbarism .... a public way of demonstrating violence so that the public has a public way of releasing their violent intentions. A good design therefore, for each country to maintain a "tradition" that sheds the majority of those attitudes.

And interestingly enough, why is it, that we go touristing in other countries, only to adopt the attitude of forcing "our attitudes and prejudices down the necks of the countries we are visiting" ??????????????????

For touristing in, you could also substitute learning of, reading about.

Originally posted by carlota@Jul 17th, 2004 - 4:04 am
well... imo, the fact that it's tradition isn't a good statement to support it. i think some traditions, like this one, have to be left behind...
It's a strange thing, being of Spanish background I like the event but I don't like what happends. Perhaps if it was modified a bit. You know like don't kill the bull.

Maybe instead of sticking it with a spear they could just try to paste things on & see how many things they can stick & keep on?

I dunno, I'm a simple mind, silly me. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Angel S.@Jul 29th, 2004 - 7:46 pm
Maybe instead of sticking it with a spear they could just try to paste things on & see how many things they can stick & keep on?
it would be better, surely... however, it would be also better to leave the poor bull in peace. no one deserves a public mockery, and that includes also animals...

Maca said:
i agree with laskaris. bullfighting is an art, yes an art, older than many modern things we take for granted. being a vegetarian i found eating meat much worse than bullfights, the slaguhter houses employ horrible techniques and nobody says anything, but everybody is against bullfighting.
I don't think every body against bullfightng otherwise it is not exist anymore;). Some people think that making the death comes in quick time (such as in a slaughtered house) is less cruel than hurting the animal little bit by little bit before they completely slaughtered it:( (like what somebody told me about what normaly happened to the bull at the end of the event).

Have you seen the Pedro Almodovar's film "Hable con ella(Talk To Her)"? One of the main female characters is a bull fighter. Perfect Spanish movie.

I'm curious, I saw that the running of the bulls was going on in Spain. Does the RF of Spain take part or go to watch it? Are there pictures?

Good Morning to you all.

I have never heard of Spanish Royal Family attending to The San Fermín Fair. Participating I think is completely out of question. It is so dangerous.

Regards.

Attachments

• 1120718417_0.jpg
    1120718417_0.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 590
Thanks, I didn't think they would partake but thought I would ask anyways.

HM VE abhorred it and when she had to go to it she had special glasses /binoculars made that were "tinted" so she would bring them to her eyes and the public wouldn't know she couldn't see anything?

it would be better, surely... however, it would be also better to leave the poor bull in peace. no one deserves a public mockery, and that includes also animals...

I completely agree with you.

I disapprove wholeheartedly the trapping and baiting of animals to a frightened enhaustion followed by a painful death, in the same way that I disapprove of dog-fighting, bear-baiting, the stoning to death of criminals and other apparently "cultural" or "customary" exploits that are cruel, unnecessary and which show a complete lack of empathy for a creature or person who has no way of escaping the fear and degradation of being set upon unfairly and without a choice.

I wonder whether the sport of bull-fighting would be as popular nowadays if the bull were replaced with a horse, dog, cat or indeed petty thief?

King Juan Carlos I or Felipe VI?

Being a staunch Monarchist shouldn't close your eyes to reality. I have always had a repugnant reaction to hunting practices and to bull fighting. I don't approve it and even I am loyal to the Fleur de Lis I can't be loyal to scent the flower of human error transmits. However, I keep.wondering who is a better Monarch indeed whether HM Juan Carlos I or HM Felipe VI. Who really has a golden heart with golden Crown values and who is merely history's dignitary. I see there are rather blurry lines in the midst and seems hard disclosing where true kindly values start or mere mechanistic obligations ensue.
Ich Dien! Noblesse Oblige.

I'm against hunting as a sport, and the horrid tradition of bull fighting that Portugal still has it too. So, I guess you have my answer there.

I do not like bullfighting either.
I now prefer King Philip VI. I think he's a good king. King Juan Carlos was also a good king, and has a remarkable place in the recent history of Spain.

Juan Carlos was chosen by Francisco Franco to be the sovereign. Imagine how Juan Carlos' father, Infante Juan, Count of Barcelona felt when he was bypassed as a possible successor to the throne.

Juan Carlos was chosen by Francisco Franco to be the sovereign. Imagine how Juan Carlos' father, Infante Juan, Count of Barcelona felt when he was bypassed as a possible successor to the throne.
I always found this rather odd and thought in me heart how would Germans feel.if they.had had a King chosen by Hitler...
No matter, I have found a great schism within the Bourbons and I can prophesy HM Felipe VI is the last to be Monarch.in modern Spain. I personally am too purist and can't fathom commoners as kings or queens and the virginity of Monarchy has been severed thanks to the rotten trenches of Capitalism and mass media. I say people in Spain may be stupid but they are not subnormals and shan"t accept a future young queen who was a product of discord and tensions. HM Juan Carlos I good or bad already knew of this and always opposed the nuptials, let alone Her Gracious Majesty Sofia. Don Juan de Borbon Count of Barcelona did not like Franco's bargain but as a father and also as a Nobleman he acted with humility and resignation, two.values of important message in true Aristocracy.
Ich Dien
Noblesse Oblige

I prefer more Felipe VI than Juan Carlos I at least for now. JCI did great job transferring Spain to democracy after 36 years lasted Franco's dictatorship. Unfortunately later he became ratherly problem to monarchy due his corruption connection. Felipe VI seems handled these problems very well altough he too has made some mistakes, speciality handling of Catalan separatism wasn't bit failure.

And I dislike JCI's support for bullfighting altough I don't know what is current king's opinion about that. For me Spain or then EU should prohibit such animal torutre. And I don't accept hunting for fun, speciality not endangered animals.

I think that Portugal, Spain and France are the only countries in Europe where there are bullfights. I do not even know the other countries know this tradition.

I think that Portugal, Spain and France are the only countries in Europe where there are bullfights. I do not even know the other countries know this tradition.

The bullfights in France do NOT harm the animals. The bulls are let into an arena and young unarmed men, usually dressed in white, have to try to pick a rosette from the bull's horns. No longer than 5 minutes and then the bull is back in the stables again. It is a sort of playing with the bulls, often with the bull as victor (when the daring jeune homme did not manage to pick a rosette from the horns).

It looks like this, no any cruelty and totally different from Spain: https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/camargue-france-bullfighting-tradition-53605794.jpg

I don’t know the details of Felipe VI’s position on bullfighting, but, as King of Spain, he is bound to sign into law any bill that has been passed by the Cortes. The rpolitical esponsibility lies with the President of the Government who , I believe, countersigns the bill.

I prefer more Felipe VI than Juan Carlos I at least for now. JCI did great job transferring Spain to democracy after 36 years lasted Franco's dictatorship. Unfortunately later he became ratherly problem to monarchy due his corruption connection. Felipe VI seems handled these problems very well altough he too has made some mistakes, speciality handling of Catalan separatism wasn't bit failure.

And I dislike JCI's support for bullfighting altough I don't know what is current king's opinion about that. For me Spain or then EU should prohibit such animal torutre. And I don't accept hunting for fun, speciality not endangered animals.

The bulls are no endangered animals. On the contrary: they are bred in prestigious farms, in circumstances the average cow in the bio industry can only dream of. But for the rest I agree. It is an utterly cruel "sport" which should be banned. Luckily Spain is changing and more and more states, provinces and cities have ended thid barbaric practice

Back
Top Bottom