The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-12-2004, 08:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Spanish Royals and Bull Fighting

Does the spanish royal family like bull fighting?

(I hate it, sometimes I catch a glimpse on tv and I find it upsetting)

Old 07-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Courtier

King Juan Carlos and Infanta Elena like bullfigthing (Jaime also). The late Countess of Barcelona (the King's mother) was a huge "aficionada". Queen Sofia doesn't like it, the same for Cristina (i think) and for Felipe (altough he assisted one few months ago with Letizia, but was because the Madrid's Festivities, "Fiestas de San Isidro", and the near wedding). The King and the Dukes of Lugo usualy assist to some of the races during this festivities.

Old 07-13-2004, 04:47 PM
Gentry

It is an element of the rich Spanish culture! It should be preserved as long as it lasts!!
Old 07-16-2004, 11:34 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally posted by laskaris@Jul 13th, 2004 - 8:47 pm
It is an element of the rich Spanish culture! It should be preserved as long as it lasts!!
i agree with laskaris. bullfighting is an art, yes an art, older than many modern things we take for granted. being a vegetarian i found eating meat much worse than bullfights, the slaguhter houses employ horrible techniques and nobody says anything, but everybody is against bullfighting.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:55 AM
Royal Highness

bull fighting is to Spain and Mexico and so on, what the rodeo is to the USA and Canada, what camel driving is to Arabia, cockfights to England, etc, etc, etc
Old 07-17-2004, 04:04 AM
Heir Apparent

well... imo, the fact that it's tradition isn't a good statement to support it. i think some traditions, like this one, have to be left behind...
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 07-17-2004, 05:09 AM
Gentry

Let's say that this particular tradition is left behind,now ,this minute!! From tomorrow you may see criminality indicators go to the top!! it is not that simple!
Old 07-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
laskaris  Posted: Jul 17th, 2004 - 2:09 am

From tomorrow you may see criminality indicators go to the top!! it is not that simple!
That is a good point .... there are some who write that American Football is civilized barbarism .... a public way of demonstrating violence so that the public has a public way of releasing their violent intentions. A good design therefore, for each country to maintain a "tradition" that sheds the majority of those attitudes.

And interestingly enough, why is it, that we go touristing in other countries, only to adopt the attitude of forcing "our attitudes and prejudices down the necks of the countries we are visiting" ??????????????????

For touristing in, you could also substitute learning of, reading about.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by carlota@Jul 17th, 2004 - 4:04 am
well... imo, the fact that it's tradition isn't a good statement to support it. i think some traditions, like this one, have to be left behind...
It's a strange thing, being of Spanish background I like the event but I don't like what happends. Perhaps if it was modified a bit. You know like don't kill the bull.

Maybe instead of sticking it with a spear they could just try to paste things on & see how many things they can stick & keep on?

I dunno, I'm a simple mind, silly me.
"Many of us experience daily life becoming ever more hectic. This may be a good reason to stop a bit - and think about if what one spends time on is in fact how one really wants to spend it," Crown Prince Haakon of Norway
Old 07-30-2004, 06:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel S.@Jul 29th, 2004 - 7:46 pm
Maybe instead of sticking it with a spear they could just try to paste things on & see how many things they can stick & keep on?
it would be better, surely... however, it would be also better to leave the poor bull in peace. no one deserves a public mockery, and that includes also animals...
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 06-27-2005, 08:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maca
i agree with laskaris. bullfighting is an art, yes an art, older than many modern things we take for granted. being a vegetarian i found eating meat much worse than bullfights, the slaguhter houses employ horrible techniques and nobody says anything, but everybody is against bullfighting.
I don't think every body against bullfightng otherwise it is not exist anymore. Some people think that making the death comes in quick time (such as in a slaughtered house) is less cruel than hurting the animal little bit by little bit before they completely slaughtered it:( (like what somebody told me about what normaly happened to the bull at the end of the event).
Old 06-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Have you seen the Pedro Almodovar's film "Hable con ella(Talk To Her)"? One of the main female characters is a bull fighter. Perfect Spanish movie.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:28 AM
Aristocracy

I'm curious, I saw that the running of the bulls was going on in Spain. Does the RF of Spain take part or go to watch it? Are there pictures?
Old 07-08-2005, 05:06 AM
Serene Highness

Good Morning to you all.

I have never heard of Spanish Royal Family attending to The San Fermín Fair. Participating I think is completely out of question. It is so dangerous.

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1120718417_0.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	166594  
Old 07-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks, I didn't think they would partake but thought I would ask anyways.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:59 AM
Gentry

HM VE abhorred it and when she had to go to it she had special glasses /binoculars made that were "tinted" so she would bring them to her eyes and the public wouldn't know she couldn't see anything?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
it would be better, surely... however, it would be also better to leave the poor bull in peace. no one deserves a public mockery, and that includes also animals...
I completely agree with you.

I disapprove wholeheartedly the trapping and baiting of animals to a frightened enhaustion followed by a painful death, in the same way that I disapprove of dog-fighting, bear-baiting, the stoning to death of criminals and other apparently "cultural" or "customary" exploits that are cruel, unnecessary and which show a complete lack of empathy for a creature or person who has no way of escaping the fear and degradation of being set upon unfairly and without a choice.

I wonder whether the sport of bull-fighting would be as popular nowadays if the bull were replaced with a horse, dog, cat or indeed petty thief?

Tags
spain, spanish royal family