The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-27-2017, 02:57 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Its possible that the girls stayed at the holiday destination and Letizia went back again, or was delayed travelling home with them because they cannot use the same plane, but in general their vacation was pretty much over when the attacks happened.

In Spain, there is lots of critizism in the pink press, not only the absence of Letizia in the first act (labelling it 'institutional' is a lame excuse to many), but also the old topic that the destination of the private holidays is not being disclosed, Felipe was not in Spain when the attack happened, where was he?

Then the photos in the hospital, some media thought is was pathetic because some of the people visited had foreign nationality, had no idea who was coming to comfort them with full press trailing along, some of them were children whose faces were not pixelled out, being exposed to full public attention by a woman who fights tooth and nail for the privacy of ther own daughters who are not private persons but public figures.
No, the pink press didn't like Letizia's absence because they couldn't make money out of her. Letizia sells much more than Felipe does.

I don't think you understand the full context of the controversy about the photos. It's Catalonia's politicians tried to make a political issue out of the photos. They told the press they would ask Casa Real to take down photos of those children from its website, saying it violated those children's privacy.

Casa Real immediately responded that the Royal Household's protocol staff visited the hospitals the day before Felipe and Letizia's visit. They asked for explicit permission from the hospital, the patient and the patient's parents if the patient was minor. Only when they had the consent from all parties, the photographer of the Casa Real would enter the room to take photos. The press wasn't allowed. That's why they visited 3 hospitals and only photos of two rooms were released. Casa Real said the photos would stay up because they had consent. Catalan politicians had been silent after that response.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:25 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriestess View Post
No, the pink press didn't like Letizia's absence because they couldn't make money out of her. Letizia sells much more than Felipe does.

If you want to mention the controversy about the photos in the hospital, please provide the full context. Otherwise, it's misleading. It's Catalonia's politicians tried to make a political issue out of the photos. They told the press they would ask Casa Real to take down photos of those children from its website, saying it violated those children's privacy.

Casa Real immediately responded that the Royal Household's protocol staff visited the hospitals the day before Felipe and Letizia's visit. They asked for explicit permission from the hospital, the patient and the patient's parents if the patient was minor. Only when they had the consent from all parties, the photographer of the Casa Real would enter the room to take photos. The press wasn't allowed. That's why they visited 3 hospitals and only photos of two rooms were released. Casa Real said the photos would stay up because they had consent. Catalan politicians had been silent after that response.
The political anarchist Catalan party (extreme left) called for a show of independence and booing to the King during the march against terrorism. They chose to politicize the march hoping it will get them more exposure internationally.

As to the photos, the CUP (anarchists) thought the royal house would sink to their own level - publishing pictures of kids during the Diada without permission. The whole thing deflated when royal house stated that all the photographs had the parent's consents.

https://elpais.com/ccaa/2017/08/26/c...79_930954.html

http://www.elnacional.cat/es/politic...84977_102.html

The Royal House will not remove the photos with children injured in the attacks
El Nacional
Photo: @CasaReal
Barcelona. Wednesday, August 23, 2017
2 minutes
Kings visit hospital

The Royal House has said Wednesday that it will not remove from its Twitter account or from the website the photographs of Saturday with children and adolescents injured in the Barcelona attacks as they had prior authorization to make and publish the images.

In this way, the Royal House has responded to the Department of Labor, Social Affairs and Families of the Generalitat after this conselleria issued a statement asking that the photographs in which children and adolescents appear Wounded in terrorist attacks since "the dissemination of this type of images implies an interference with the right to honor, privacy and the very image of underage victims."

For its part, Casa del Rey assures that at all times prior authorization of the wounded and their families, as well as with the knowledge and agreement of those responsible for each hospital. The day before the visit, added the note, the Protocol services of the Casa del Rey and the Generalitat de Catalunya, in the presence of the medical management of the respective hospitals, visited and requested "express" permission from each hospital, patient And family (if they were minors), to visit and make images for later distribution to the media.

Only in cases in which explicit permission was granted came chambers in the visit of King Felipe and Queen Letizia, who were accompanied by the Minister of Health, Dolors Montserrat , and by the Minister of Health, Toni Comín , as well as by the Address and medical team of the corresponding hospital. Therefore, "the use of images of minors in this visit was done with the authorization of their respective parents," adds the King's House.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:38 AM
Royal Highness

In reading and learning about the politicians in Spain that want to leave the and have their own country.......LOL, sounds like the republicans/liberals and democrats in the US. I say put them in a boat in the middle of the deepest ocean and pull the plug on all of them....worthless lots of useless brain power for all to see.

By the way, I like and admire the king and queen of Spain for they have a tough job ahead of them....and they work it with style and dignity.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:40 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondra View Post

The political anarchist Catalan party (extreme left) called for a show of independence and booing to the King during the march against terrorism. They chose to politicize the march hoping it will get them more exposure internationally.

As to the photos, the anarchists thought the royal house would sink to their own level - publishing pictures of kids during the Diada without permission. The whole thing deflated when royal house stated that all the photographs had the parent's consents.
Thanks.

The ironic thing is that all the international news reports of the demonstration I see so far have Felipe in the photos and said he "led" the demonstration, even though Barcelona mayor tried to hide him in the "second line". I even saw a local TV news report on it and the camera focused on Felipe shaking hands with the crowds the entire time. There's not one shot of Catalan politicians and no mentioning of the whistles.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Thanks.

The ironic thing is that all the international news reports of the demonstration I see so far have Felipe in the photos and said he "led" the demonstration, even though Barcelona mayor tried to hide him in the "second line". I even saw a local TV news report on it and the camera focused on Felipe shaking hands with the crowds the entire time. There's not one shot of Catalan politicians and no mentioning of the whistles.
It took a lot of guts to attend the march knowing the independence party were aiming for him. He could have remained home placing the royal house above attending a march against terrorism but chose to stand with Spain and its people. I respected him before but my respect have shot up leap and bounds.

It's easy to be a royal when everyone loves you, it's much difficult to stand up for your country when an anarchist nationalistic party is doing everything they can to push you out.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post

In reading and learning about the politicians in Spain that want to leave the and have their own country.......LOL, sounds like the republicans/liberals and democrats in the US. I say put them in a boat in the middle of the deepest ocean and pull the plug on all of them....worthless lots of useless brain power for all to see.

By the way, I like and admire the king and queen of Spain for they have a tough job ahead of them....and they work it with style and dignity.
LOL, I'd love to pull the plug on the lot. Useless waste of resources.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:38 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

This thread has been cleaned up and is re-opened. Personal attacks have been removed.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I'm a little late to the thread, but I've been in Andalusia whilst the attacks were on so I got to hear the news via Spanish press as my wifi was running slow. It was good to see all the photos of the SRF commemorating the attacks and Felipe and Letizia visiting the victims in hospital.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-27-2017, 05:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
But you are comparing apples and oranges. Maybe being an American you are so used to your President's daughter being part of institutional activities even though no one elected her that you think being a queen works in the same way. It doesn't. At least not in Spain.

Letizia is a king's consort. In real terms it means being the spouse of the head of State. Institutionally there is little difference with Melania except Letizia has the title of "queen" and much less freedom. Her institutional role is very limited as consort of the king. I understand many of you can't differentiate from the English crown and/or Queen Elizabeth to any other world crown or consort queen; however you are doing yourself no favours by always comparing how "queens behave" in different royal houses without a minimal understanding of their country history and culture.

Please, learn about Spain and its political situation before making comments that frankly, do not apply to us. Not long ago on the Danish thread about Henrik, many said that we can't compare cultures, politics and social issues among countries to make it easier to find a common denominator with royals. It applies to Spain as well.

Felipe is Spanish, not Danish, English or American. He swears the Constitution and governments of Spain. It's why he is our head of state and receives instructions from OUR government and that includes Queen Letizia, King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia about institutional representation.
I'm actually not American but because I'm familiar with countries other than my own I understand the very condescending point you were trying to make in your first paragraph.

I've asked a couple of what I thought were reasonable questions in this thread. I think it's reasonable to ask why she wasn't at the demonstration or minute of silence. I think it's reasonable to want to know what's behind the announcement that Letizia will not participate in institutional activities.

I've been very honest in the past that I don't think Letizia was an unmitigated success as Princess of Asturias and I dont think she's doing a great job as Queen. But as I've said in another thread, I'd be more than willing to change my mind. I would be truly interested in hearing why her role is so much more constrained than that of consorts in other countries, (and seemingly more so than her own mother in law's was). Assume that I'm familiar with monarchies other than the British and assume I'm familiar with Spain and have a reasonable understanding of its current political climate. Also assume that I'm not in any way threatened by or jealous of Letizia's apparent phenomenal popularity in Spain.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I've been very honest in the past that I don't think Letizia was an unmitigated success as Princess of Asturias and I dont think she's doing a great job as Queen[/B]. But as I've said in another thread, I'd be more than willing to change my mind. I would be truly interested in hearing why her role is so much more constrained than that of consorts in other countries, (and seemingly more so than her own mother in law's was). Assume that I'm familiar with monarchies other than the British and assume I'm familiar with Spain and have a reasonable understanding of its current political climate. Also assume that I'm not in any way threatened by or jealous of Letizia's apparent phenomenal popularity in Spain.
We all can like or dislike someone for no reason at all. We may dislike someone just by gut instinct alone. But job performance should be assessed against certain standards. I'm curious what standards you are judging Letizia by to reach the conclusion that she's not doing a great job as Queen.

Comparing with other royal queens/princesses:
- She has the busiest work schedule
- She has the fewest and shortest vacations
- She gets paid the least (1/6 of Maxima's)
- She represents Spain well abroad and generates lots of positive publicity for Spain and Spanish brands abroad (Kate is the only one ahead of her but that's more to do with the UK and Diana angles than Kate herself)
- She's the best public speaker
- She works in the toughest political and the most vicious tabloids environment
- Her husband and daughters adore her
- Her daughters are happy kids and better behaved than most other royal kids

Comparing with her mother in law:
- She has a much better understanding of Spain, Spanish culture and politics than Sofia (Just looking at Sofia's support for Cristina in defiance of Felipe)
- She has a better connection with Spanish society than Sofia (Sofia has no friend in Spain and spends much time overseas)
- She lives a more modest life style than Sofia does
- She's more modern and open-minded (Look up Sofia's anti-gay comments)

She's an intelligent, independent woman with strong character. She's very different from her mother-in-law and her peers. I can understand she's not everyone's cup of tea. But to say she's not doing a good job as a queen? It depends on what standards/expectations you're judging her by.

Felipe doesn't follow exactly what his father did and everyone applauds him for his "reforms". But whenever Letizia doesn't follow Sofia's exact footsteps, all the critics are out in force: "She's breaking traditions!" I'm pretty sure Sofia didn't follow Queen Ena's every footstep either. Time is changing. Royals have to change with time too. That's a good thing.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:43 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
We all can like or dislike someone for no reason at all. We may dislike someone just by gut instinct alone. But job performance should be assessed against certain standards. I'm curious what standards you are judging Letizia by to reach the conclusion that she's not doing a great job as Queen.

Comparing with other royal queens/princesses:
- She has the busiest work schedule
- She has the fewest and shortest vacations
- She gets paid the least (1/6 of Maxima's)
- She represents Spain well abroad and generates lots of positive publicity for Spain and Spanish brands abroad (Kate is the only one ahead of her but that's more to do with the UK and Diana angles than Kate herself)
- She's the best public speaker
- She works in the toughest political and the most vicious tabloids environment
- Her husband and daughters adore her
- Her daughters are happy kids and better behaved than most other royal kids

Comparing with her mother in law:
- She has a much better understanding of Spain, Spanish culture and politics than Sofia (Just looking at Sofia's support for Cristina in defiance of Felipe)
- She has a better connection with Spanish society than Sofia (Sofia has no friend in Spain and spends much time overseas)
- She lives a more modest life style than Sofia does
- She's more modern and open-minded (Look up Sofia's anti-gay comments)

She's an intelligent, independent woman with strong character. She's very different from her mother-in-law and her peers. I can understand she's not everyone's cup of tea. But to say she's not doing a good job as a queen? It depends on what standards/expectations you're judging her by.

Felipe doesn't follow exactly what his father did and everyone applauds him for his "reforms". But whenever Letizia doesn't follow Sofia's exact footsteps, all the critics are out in force: "She's breaking traditions!" I'm pretty sure Sofia didn't follow Queen Ena's every footstep either. Time is changing. Royals have to change with time too. That's a good thing.

Sorry for the long post.
You're right, it is all a matter of opinion. I started to write a detailed post responding to the opinions you gave above but then realized I could sum it all up in just one sentence: I strongly disagree with almost everything you wrote!

Thank you for taking the time to respond, though!

Regarding your last paragraph, not everyone always applauds Felipe. I think he seems decent, for the most part, but I see the so called reforms and reorganization of the royal house as mostly window dressing and, unlike many, I don't think the way he's reported to have handled the situation with his sister Cristina speaks well of his character, (I say reported because at this point I think it's impossible to separate fact from fiction in what's said about the Borbon family dynamics, so my opinion could be based on completely inaccurate info). BUT he's the monarch, not the consort, he's new and, let's not forget, he's a man. No one cares about his clothes, his body, his ability as a parent, how he ages, and a multitude of other things people are endlessly curious about when it comes to women in the public eye. When he makes a mistake people will forgive him much more easily than they would his wife, (or his mother, his sisters and soon enough his daughters). He'll be given the benefit of the doubt in situations where Letizia would be pilloried. He won't have to work so hard to make people think he's capable and accomplished. That's the nature of the beast, it's not going to change, and it's not unique to the Spanish monarchy.

And now it's late here so I'll say good night! I've appreciated reading the various view points and opinions over the last couple of days - seriously! - but this is now very off topic and I don't have anything more to say that wouldn't be rehashing the same disagreements from slightly different angles, so this will be my last post here that's not directly related to facts about the SRF and the Barcelona attack.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:13 AM
Majesty

drama regarding the presence of the king in the ceremonies conmemorating the attacks in barcelona last year. some pro-catalans have added banners saying that 'the spanish king is not welcome in catalan country' and other claiming that the deal of the king spain with saudi arabia was the catalyst of the attacks (with a picture of felipe and the saudi king and text saying 'their arms, our deaths').

Atentados Barcelona: Monárquicos intentan entrar por la fuerza en el edificio para quitar la pancarta independentista contra el Rey | Cataluña
Old 08-17-2018, 05:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Felipe and Queen Letizia attend a ceremony in Barcelona today 17 August marking first anniversary of attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils that left 16 people dead.

https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/6268205

https://www.rexfeatures.com/set/9792735
Old 08-17-2018, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Here are some more photos of the memorial ceremony:

** gettyimages gallery **

** diezminutos.es: Los Reyes homenajean a las víctimas del atentado de Barcelona **

** hola: Los Reyes asisten al acto en recuerdo de las víctimas por los atentados de Barcelona **

** casareal: Acto en recuerdo de la víctimas y solidaridad por los atentados terroristas del 17 de agosto **