Summer Holidays in Mallorca: 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Letizia and her daughters waited in Madrid for Felipe, who arrived yesterday from Beijing and leaves now to Paraguay. It´s only natural that he wanted to see his daughters, having not seen them for almost a week.

Letizia probably went back to Madrid to see some Ortiz Rocasolano family members but it's another step up re the non-interaction of previous years. It's a bit sad because given the parents don't seem to be keen to spend time together the children won't meet either. The other six nephews and nieces obviously have a great relationship but the Asturias girls are rarely around although Irene and Leonor are the same age. Felipe is Victoria's godfather, would have been nice to see the younger generation spend time at the beach together incl children.

Felipe, Letizia and the girls sitting on a public beach with swim wears like your neighbor Mr. and Mrs. ? You got to be kidding. I think the Infantas' outing on a public beach probably would be unthinkable a few years ago, but now it doesn't matter any more since they are no longer on the front of the media interests. Froilan and Vickie were quite close to Leonor from the old pictures. As LadyFinn just said, I also believe Letizia and the girls were in Madrid waiting for Felipe and spent some time with him before his South American trip.

Evidently the Princes cannot appear in a beach public and full of people, with luck in the discreet one and of difficult access. The Queen is in the ship in these photos, but she does not go down to the beach. Not only it is a question of press Donna, is a question of reaction of the people and of protocols of safety.

The wedding of the Prince and the birth of his daughters has supposed for the Infantas the beginning of the natural process that takes place in all the Royal Families. The Infanta Elena and Cristina are going on to a background, their official activities and their responsibilities have diminished, and now they move with more freedom. In case of the vacations this means that the Princes and their daughters are forced to form a part of the " circus of the ditches ", and only when this one finishes they have free time; and that the Infantas flee of this circus, and they enjoy Mallorca when everything is calmer.

In certain press, before same circumstances the speech changes totally.

While the Queen and the Infanta Cristina invite every year relatives or friends to Marivent or to the Fortuna ... it would be a scandal in case of the Princess, to whom already it seems that they don´t allow to go to Asturias with her family (Leonor is 3 years old and there is no photo of her in the place where her mother was born and where from her parents receive the Princes' title).

The Infanta Cristina inviting her friends and their children in the royal yacht, it is a very nice, very simple and natural image ... if the Princes sail in the Fortuna, they are spending the public money in the caprice of the yacht.

When the Princess in her first two years of marriage passed 5 days in house of her grandmother in Asturias, after having been in Mallorca, they accused her of wanting to displace the royal vacations to Mallorca and of finishing with the economy of the Balearic Islands. The Infantas can go to the Pyrenees, Lanzarote, Croatia, Hamptons or Mozambique, that nobody will accuse them of it.

If the Prince decides not to take part in a ditch it is a scandal and a tragedy that will finish with the economy of Mallorca. If the Infantas stop competing or do not appear for the nautical club ... nothing happens.

I would like to see the Princes of Asturias and their daughters with the rest of the family, but I realize that they are in a much different position than the Infantas Elena and Cristina. They really can't go out on a public beach like everyone else can. I'm sure this will also be the case in 35 years, when the heir to the throne can't do things like this, but other siblings can.

I remember a few years ago (before Felipe got married) Elena and Jaime were being heavily criticized when they spent their holidays in Hampton instead of cheering for the regatas in Mallorca. Now Felipe is married with two kids, the Infantas are more to the background, have more freedom to move around and do what they want to do. I believe that Felipe and Letizia no longer spent the summer holiday at her grandma's house after Leonor was born is strictly their own personal reason, nothing to do with any media pressure. Maybe her grandma's house is too small for them (kids + nanny + bodyguards) or other security issues.

Yes, the trips to the Hamptons, it was another epoch, then the Infantas or probably more their children had more interest, neither Letizia, nor Leonor nor Sofia existed. In any case, the critiques were never so ferocious. Curiously, this year and in spite of the separation the press does not judge where she has been or not.

On the visits to Asturias, it is true that the house of her grandmother was remaining small, and that the abuse of the press in showing this house made less safety. But in Asturias there are houses of rent, there are hotels and friends ready to lodge them. Last year Zapatero passed one week of vacations in Asturias. So there has to be something more.

Yes, the trips to the Hamptons, it was another epoch, then the Infantas or probably more their children had more interest, neither Letizia, nor Leonor nor Sofia existed. In any case, the critiques were never so ferocious. Curiously, this year and in spite of the separation the press does not judge where she has been or not.

On the visits to Asturias, it is true that the house of her grandmother was remaining small, and that the abuse of the press in showing this house made less safety. But in Asturias there are houses of rent, there are hotels and friends ready to lodge them. Last year Zapatero passed one week of vacations in Asturias. So there has to be something more.
Sure there is something more -- they are doing exactly what they want to do -- nothing more, nothing less. Good for them.

When I said "beach" I meant the whole scenario of the Infantas pictures including the yacht. I understand the security issue but they (all cousins or even the adults) could at least spend time together on the Fortuna. IMO not all is well between the siblings as the years before have shown and I see it as a personal decision of the Princes / Infantas not to spend time together and not as a result down to inconvenience or security matters.

Very different to the not-going-to-Asturias-issue, as lula said there must be more to it than only a personal decision. IMO Zarzuela want to avoid a (visible) link between Infanta Leonor and Asturias at this stage regarding her role as heiress to the throne, with the succession issue and the Asturias' family planning far from over.

This whole double standard thing build up by media pressure is really disgusting.

Sure there is something more -- they are doing exactly what they want to do -- nothing more, nothing less. Good for them.

Felipe & Letizia do exactly what Zarzuela or the King want them to do and if they are lucky it matches with their own ideas - and it seems that there is no match re vacations in Asturias ... :whistling:

:eek:Somehow, children (and some adults) seem to like that kind of footwear. It´s very popular here too. But I agree with you, it´s not very appealing.

LOL! Crocs are ugly, but my children love the comfort and the colors.

Felipe and Letizia haven't taken Leonor to Covadonga yet, that's probably the decision of Zarzuela since the sucession law hasn't been officially changed. On private holidays after the sailing, I don't think Zarzuela stopped them going to Asturias. Felipe when single usually travelled abroad with his friends after the sailing events in August, now he is married, he and Letizia likely still keep this 'tradition'. It said before both liked the exotic places, August is about the only time in the year they can travel to the places far away from Spain. Asturias is very close by, they can spend the weekends or long weekends there. The Asturian press had reported once that they were spotted at a gas station in Asturias, I also heard Laura Ponte said that the first time she met Letizia (with Felipe) was in Asturias when she was still dating Felipe. Not seeing them at her grandma's house really doesn't mean they didn't go to Asturias.

Felipe and Letizia haven't taken Leonor to Covadonga yet, that's probably the decision of Zarzuela since the sucession law hasn't been officially changed. On private holidays after the sailing, I don't think Zarzuela stopped them going to Asturias. Felipe when single usually travelled abroad with his friends after the sailing events in August, now he is married, he and Letizia likely still keep this 'tradition'. It said before both liked the exotic places, August is about the only time in the year they can travel to the places far away from Spain. Asturias is very close by, they can spend the weekends or long weekends there. The Asturian press had reported once that they were spotted at a gas station in Asturias, I also heard Laura Ponte said that the first time she met Letizia (with Felipe) was in Asturias when she was still dating Felipe. Not seeing them at her grandma's house really doesn't mean they didn't go to Asturias.
I think you are correct. They probably want to spend time the way they want to (with permission, of course) as a personal family vacation. I personally wouldn't want to spend all my vacations with my sister and brother and parents and all their gang when I see them on holidays (Christmas & Easter). As much as I love them all -- enough is enough. I need just my personal intimate family unit.

Felipe & Letizia do exactly what Zarzuela or the King want them to do and if they are lucky it matches with their own ideas - and it seems that there is no match re vacations in Asturias ... :whistling:
Oh I am sure that behind closed doors, Felipe has quite a bit to say about how he can spend a week or so with his personal family unit. He sees enough of his birth family on holidays that vacation time is probably very special to him. It would grate on most people if they HAD to have their vacation time spent at exactly the same place with exactly the same people (and siblings to boot) every year. Would make a lesser person take to the bottle.

Oh I am sure that behind closed doors, Felipe has quite a bit to say about how he can spend a week or so with his personal family unit. He sees enough of his birth family on holidays that vacation time is probably very special to him. It would grate on most people if they HAD to have their vacation time spent at exactly the same place with exactly the same people (and siblings to boot) every year. Would make a lesser person take to the bottle.

Felipe knows exactly what he can do and what he can't do - he has been groomed to become heir by his parents all his life. I believe in the beginning he had to explain a lot to Letizia who probably thought that they had more freedom of decision. Zarzuela or the King will always have the last say in everthing that could have only the slightest impact on the image of the monarchy, including going to Asturias with the kids as it has a deeper meaning. Of course all heirs will finally do what they are told by their reigning parents but the spanish have an extremely short leash as their monarchy is one of the most unstable ones.

Felipe knows exactly what he can do and what he can't do - he has been groomed to become heir by his parents all his life. I believe in the beginning he had to explain a lot to Letizia who probably thought that they had more freedom of decision. Zarzuela or the King will always have the last say in everthing that could have only the slightest impact on the image of the monarchy, including going to Asturias with the kids as it has a deeper meaning. Of course all heirs will finally do what they are told by their reigning parents but the spanish have an extremely short leash as their monarchy is one of the most unstable ones.

I think it has more to do with JC's personality (he seems to me a very controlling and dominating person) and he has a full control of the SRF's finance. If the Princes and Infantas were receiving the money directly from the State instead of from their father, I think the working relationship between the Kings and the Princes would be more like Buckingham Palace and Clarence House. On the other hand, JC even though has a final say on the official events and the SRF's 'official' vacation destination, however I do think the Princes have the freedom to decide where to spend their private holidays in August. Letizia's desire of spending summer holidays in Asturias was an exaggeration from the media. When she was single, she also travelled abroad for summer holidays, sometimes visited Telma in various countries where Telma was working, now Letizia is married, she only wants to spend summers in Asturias with her grandma LOL.

I think it has more to do with JC's personality (he seems to me a very controlling and dominating person) and he has a full control of the SRF's finance. If the Princes and Infantas were receiving the money directly from the State instead of from their father, I think the working relationship between the Kings and the Princes would be more like Buckingham Palace and Clarence House.
I agree. I think the Dutch CPs have a good solution with their own budget but without a second "household" like the British have as the existence of both BP & CH has proven difficult at times, JC is wise to avoid such a scenario. I'd like to see at least the Princes have their own budget, the Infantas are a different story.

On the other hand, JC even though has a final say on the official events and the SRF's 'official' vacation destination, however I do think the Princes have the freedom to decide where to spend their private holidays in August. Letizia's desire of spending summer holidays in Asturias was an exaggeration from the media. When she was single, she also travelled abroad for summer holidays, sometimes visited Telma in various countries where Telma was working, now Letizia is married, she only wants to spend summers in Asturias with her grandma LOL.

Also agree. I was only referring to vacation in "monarchic interest" which Majorca is without doubt. I don't think Letizia is too keen to spend some precious private time in Asturias during vacation as it wouldn't be private at all, and rather prefer a destination away from the public eye. However, in the past she has said that she is keen to take the girls to Asturias, she even mentioned it in her speech when accepting the "Favourite Daughter" honours, but JC will probably have put those plans on hold for now until the succession issue has been fully resolved (either by law or by Letizia's age).

Prince Felipe is in South America. Queen Sophia and Infanta Cristina are in Beijing for the Olipmpics. How come they'll be together soon for the photoshoot? I think it won't be a family photoshoot this summer. This will be the first time Jaime de Marichalar won't be there and Infanta Elena might feel uncomfortable.

Prince Felipe is in South America. Queen Sophia and Infanta Cristina are in Beijing for the Olipmpics. How come they'll be together soon for the photoshoot? I think it won't be a family photoshoot this summer. This will be the first time Jaime de Marichalar won't be there and Infanta Elena might feel uncomfortable.

He is in Spain now, he has come back sunday midnight and probably will travel overseas with princess Letizia and the girls, every year they do it ending august, so I think it won't be photoshoot this year, just the last official dinner in Mallorca that is a tradition to say bye to the vacations season

And so Infanta Cristina. They don't get along well with princess Letizia. Prince Felipe looked tired in Beijing with her. We may have surprises with this family soon!!

_____

Sorry Catango. I hadn't read your post when I sent mine. Yes, I agree with you that the only pictures we'll have of the SRF are going to be at the Gala Dinner for saying bye to the summer holidays in Mallorca. But the adults only will be there! Pitty, I love seeing the king and queen's grandchildren together in a large-family-picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
The yearly official photo session hasn't been a tradition for the family. They only did it 3 times after the grandchildren were born. One was the year Forilan was born (he was the first grandchild of the Kings), then the last two years with the addition of Leonor and Sofia. Cristina didn't look like she enjoyed the photo sessions the last two years, plus Elena's pending divorce, I'm not surprised at all that there was no photo session this year.

Letizia probably went back to Madrid to see some Ortiz Rocasolano family members but it's another step up re the non-interaction of previous years. It's a bit sad because given the parents don't seem to be keen to spend time together the children won't meet either. The other six nephews and nieces obviously have a great relationship but the Asturias girls are rarely around although Irene and Leonor are the same age. Felipe is Victoria's godfather, would have been nice to see the younger generation spend time at the beach together incl children.
Victoria and Froilan live in Madrid, they probably see Felipe and Letizia all the time. Moreover, why is it always assumed that if there's a rift it's on Felipe's side, Cristina is the one wh looks like thunder most of the time....

Personally I thought the reason for this being a more low-key holiday was down to Elena and Jaime's separation. Otherwise the photographers and paparrazi would have been hassling her and the children.

I don't think there's much animosity between the kids, anyway. For instance, we have seen Froilan and Victoria holding Leonor's hands at least twice, at the ice show and at last year's photoshoot. Miguel was playing with Leonor on the boat last year, and we saw Juan play with Leonor at the photoshoot and jiggle little Sofia's foot, and at Christmas he had his arm around Leo, and at Easter he kissed Sofia and patted her head. So, I would not say that the children dislike each other.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/acdc15_2007/24203296.jpg That is not a look of mutual dislike!

Last edited:
And so Infanta Cristina. They don't get along well with princess Letizia. Prince Felipe looked tired in Beijing with her. We may have surprises with this family soon!!

Well Prince Felipe looks very happy with Princess Letizia, that's a matter of feeling, he really seems very happy since he is with her.:whistling:

He never was so cheering before, he is since princess Letizia is in his life.

What kind of surprises are you talking about?

What kind of surprises are you talking about?

Surprises with Letizia's behavior. Or she gets closer with her in-laws, or she loses popularity even with her husband Felipe. Remember that the SRF offered a traditional close family imagen :wub:and since Letizia has appeared, things haven't gone well, especially with King Juan Carlos and Infantas Elena and Cristina:eek:.She can't manage yet the interest of the press and even her sister has been in the public eye for her accusations and complains against more than 50 medias in Spain!!:ermm:
And in the Olimpics some pictures showed the "happy couple" in not a happy chat. Something that wouldn't happen a year before. So, Letizia has to remember what the Spanish people expect from their princess:flowers:. I know she's intelligent but, How well prepared is she to be a princess?:cool:

I have a feeling there won't be a photoshoot this year. It seems that the relationship between Letizia and her sisters' in law, especially with Cristina, are not the greatest at this time. Cristina seems so happy and relaxed when she is alone with her family and her parents and sister, but if you see a pic of her and Letizia is near her, her face changes completely. As I stated earlier in this post, "it seems" to me. Only my opinion. I agree with Carla Rizzone's post.

carla rizzone, you pretty much can find every 'very happy' royal couple looked 'unhappy' or 'bored' or 'disappointed' in the pictures in this Olympics game. Sports competitions have ups and downs, winning moments or losing moments, it affects one's emotion. The Spainish women basketball team was losing the game against China and the team were complaining about the officiating (Felipe was wearing a shirt). Anyway, there were plenty of pictures showing happy chats in this Olympics game. A few here:

http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=8ttoys4.jpg
http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=is19863266ox1.jpg
http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=is19863264sd0.jpg

Letizia obviously has a very good relation with the Queen, who has a very significant position in Felipe's heart IMO. Prior to the Olympics, there were pictures of the Kings happily chatting with the Princes during the sailing events in Mallorca. I don't think it matters much if Letizia and Cristina are good friends or not, they don't even live in the same city. If getting along with a sister-in-law is a requirement for the success of a marriage, 99.9999% marriages will end up in divorce LOL.
Why did people always insist the problem is between Letizia and Cristina if there is any ? It could as well between Felipe and his own sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom