The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Commoner

Summer in Mallorca

Thanks for al the pics of the spanish royals in this summer.
I like to see the little Leonor with her parents and other family members.
I hope to see this also by the royal family of the Netherlands.

Old 08-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas
why they don't try to show the opposite?Why they don't try to show that between the two sisters-in-law there is nothing to speak about because they are really friends?
I was so when I saw the new anti-Letizia campaign... My Godness, what this young lady has been through since her wedding and even before is enough to loose 100 pounds in a week . First it was the Queen; when everything pointed otherwise it was the King who was always serious around Letizia; when pics pointed otherwise it was that the King clearly did not loved Leonor now there's a pic dismissing it is Letizia and Cristina...

I wonder if there will be a week when a thread is not filled with nonsenses who are feeded day after day .

Whatever happened if anything happened belongs to the intimate and family atmosphere and they, like any other royal, neighbour or family of ours, don't have to try anything to please us.

Some months ago someone was wondering why we never saw Infanta Cristina cuddling Elena's sons or vice-versa... if we pay attention we have much more affectionate gestures from Letizia to her sister-in-laws' husbands and sons that between themselves...but talking bad or inventing gossips or absurds about Letizia sells more doesn't it?!

Regards,
mtbcm

Old 08-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbcm
I was so when I saw the new anti-Letizia campaign... My Godness, what this young lady has been through since her wedding and even before is enough to loose 100 pounds in a week . First it was the Queen; when everything pointed otherwise it was the King who was always serious around Letizia; when pics pointed otherwise it was that the King clearly did not loved Leonor now there's a pic dismissing it is Letizia and Cristina...

I wonder if there will be a week when a thread is not filled with nonsenses who are feeded day after day .

Whatever happened if anything happened belongs to the intimate and family atmosphere and they, like any other royal, neighbour or family of ours, don't have to try anything to please us.

Some months ago someone was wondering why we never saw Infanta Cristina cuddling Elena's sons or vice-versa... if we pay attention we have much more affectionate gestures from Letizia to her sister-in-laws' husbands and sons that between themselves...but talking bad or inventing gossips or absurds about Letizia sells more doesn't it?!
I agree with you.
But to them it likes to invent the news when there is nothing new to say.

One knows if they continue in Majorca?
Old 08-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by infanteleonor
It seems that history goes back to the baptism of Irene Urdangarín in the palace of the Zarzuela. According to the legend, at that moment Infant Cristina, who always is been much more near her brother Felipe, requested to him if she could lodge to his fathers-in-law in his house to avoid the commotion to them of transfers of hotel, etc., etc. Continuing with the legend, the heir had to consult his own Oráculo de Delfos and this one insinuated to him that he was not advisable. Like always, the urban legend is that, legend. And palaciegas? pbarrientos@elconfidencial.com
http://www.elconfidencial.com/gente/indice.asp?id=2797
This journalist is crazy. I remember Roxsteve mentioned that Letizia's family can't vacation with them in Mallorca because the public pays for their residence and the public has the right to criticize if they did. I think the same applies if Cristina's in-laws stayed at Zarzuela or Felipe's house during Irene's baptism because the Royal Family doesn't own the palaces they use and live in. What would she say if Letizia's Asturian family lodged in their house during Leonor's baptism? If her reportage is actually true I don't think it was Letizia who said "NO". As I've said in my previous post it was probably the King or the other grey men at Zarzuela.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

If the closest family can not stay in any of the residences the royal family occupies under the disguise the residences are paid for by tax money then that has to be the most silly I have heard. Even the royal family has a right to a family life and that includes all of their relatives. I would agree if someone wanted to move in permanently but to not be able to spend time during special events and or a few days during vacations that is just plain silly.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan
If the closest family can not stay in any of the residences the royal family occupies under the disguise the residences are paid for by tax money then that has to be the most silly I have heard. Even the royal family has a right to a family life and that includes all of their relatives. I would agree if someone wanted to move in permanently but to not be able to spend time during special events and or a few days during vacations that is just plain silly.
Silly? Have you seen in these years some member of the family Marichalar, Urdangarín or Ortiz-Rocasolano in Marivent? Because I not ... last year Letizia led her niece of 5 years to passing 5 days there ... and received some stupid critique. It is allowed that there should go members of the Greek Royal Family (not without any critique), and the cousin Tatiana, but the political families of the Infantas have not gone, and for the present time that of the Princess either ever. And I do not want to imagine the polemic, if the family of the Princess was establishing itself in Marivent ... probably in 10 years.

In it Letizia's family always has been intelligent enough and they have wanted to prevent them from creating polemics. They offered to Menchu to pass a time in the House of the Princes when she remained a widow, but she did not agree. When it was the baptism of Leonor, no member of the Family of the Princess established there, they all were in relatives' houses, in spite of that several were persons of advanced age, and with some problem of health.

It is clear that they should have right to be able to enjoy their families and their friends. But how they live in buildings that belong to the State, it does not stop creating mistrusts that persons who do not occupy any position also could enjoy of them with all the full expenses. Because of it it is necessary to be careful with these things.
Recently there has been some commentary, in that discreetly was criticized to the Princes because the weekends some friends were going with their children to the swimming pool of the house of the Princes. The people are very envious, and to enjoy a good swimming pool in summer in Madrid are very wished.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula
Silly? Have you seen in these years some member of the family Marichalar, Urdangarín or Ortiz-Rocasolano in Marivent? Because I not ... last year Letizia led her niece of 5 years to passing 5 days there ... and received some stupid critique. It is allowed that there should go members of the Greek Royal Family (not without any critique), and the cousin Tatiana, but the political families of the Infantas have not gone, and for the present time that of the Princess either ever. And I do not want to imagine the polemic, if the family of the Princess was establishing itself in Marivent ... probably in 10 years.

In it Letizia's family always has been intelligent enough and they have wanted to prevent them from creating polemics. They offered to Menchu to pass a time in the House of the Princes when she remained a widow, but she did not agree. When it was the baptism of Leonor, no member of the Family of the Princess established there, they all were in relatives' houses, in spite of that several were persons of advanced age, and with some problem of health.

It is clear that they should have right to be able to enjoy their families and their friends. But how they live in buildings that belong to the State, it does not stop creating mistrusts that persons who do not occupy any position also could enjoy of them with all the full expenses. Because of it it is necessary to be careful with these things.
Recently there has been some commentary, in that discreetly was criticized to the Princes because the weekends some friends were going with their children to the swimming pool of the house of the Princes. The people are very envious, and to enjoy a good swimming pool in summer in Madrid are very wished.

I don't think it is a matter of people being envious, but it is hard to understand that they have a nice swimming pool at the expense of the taxpayers when regular people in Spain cannot even afford a house much less a pool. Therefore, if the buildings are owned by the State, then they should be respected...it is almost like being loaned to them. If, on the other hand, he would own them and had bought it with his own money, then he could invite anyone he wanted. It is the taxpayer's money and therefore, it is one of the "downs" of having everything paid for. Maybe Cristina is upset with Felipe rather than Letizia, if that is the case. Who knows?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Hi, people: I think that since Spanish family do not offers scandals to the press, some people must made up them to amuse themselves a little. It seems that good people is not so appalling than scandalous one. That's speaks badly of human being in general and about some persons in particular.

Vanesa.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxsteve
I don't think it is a matter of people being envious, but it is hard to understand that they have a nice swimming pool at the expense of the taxpayers when regular people in Spain cannot even afford a house much less a pool. Therefore, if the buildings are owned by the State, then they should be respected...it is almost like being loaned to them. If, on the other hand, he would own them and had bought it with his own money, then he could invite anyone he wanted. It is the taxpayer's money and therefore, it is one of the "downs" of having everything paid for. Maybe Cristina is upset with Felipe rather than Letizia, if that is the case. Who knows?
Just curious, how do you feel about Princess Irene of Greece living in Zarzuela all these years and I assume also enjoys all the perks of the Royal Family?
Old 08-13-2006, 12:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxsteve
I agree with this. While I don't think the King and Queen or their children would abuse the privileges of the various estates and palaces they have access to, I could see how such privileges could be abused.

Very often we hear of abuses of various politicians such as how much they spend on business trips or how they use airplaines to fly to private holidays or fly with their family and friends. Sometimes politicians get re-elected or not re-elected based on such abuses and privileges. While royals can't be re-lected or booted from their jobs for such abuses, they could lose popularity points or the general favour of their countrypeople.

I do agree with the current line of discussion in the Summer Vacations in Palma Mallorca thread that it's one thing that the King, Queen with their children and grandchildren to stay at Marivent during their summer holidays, but it would be something else altogether if the de Marichalar, Urdangarin or Ortiz families also spent some time there, whether it was a day, a week or a month.

To me, staying at Marivent is a privilege that belongs to the royal family for the work they do daily in representing Spain. Their in-laws don't represent Spain in the same manner (at all) and as such, shouldn't be part of such privileges. If they want to spend some of the summer holidays with their sons or daughter and their families that is fine, but they find their own accomodations elsewhere and spend the day with their families, not board at Marivent, too.

In other royal families there have been examples of in-laws living at least nearby but it was always at the private expense of the royal. One such example is Joachim of Denmark, whose (then) in-laws, the Manleys stayed on the Shackenborg property at Joachim and Alexandra's expense, earned from his farming income.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Heir Apparent

very well said Alexandria, the public opinion wouldn't like to hear about the in-laws staying in the palaces which belong to the National Patrimony, it could become a huge drop in their popularity
Old 08-13-2006, 02:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

I certainly hope Felipe and Letizia buy their own summer residence where they can have friends and family visit and where their children can have cousins and friends staying with them. Family life is very important and being able to include ones close relatives is part of that family life.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:34 AM
Royal Highness

Alia, in Majorca

The summer stay of the Royal Family in Majorca has been having for years an inescapable appointment with the spectacle of the dolphins and the marine surroundings of Marineland. Visit, let us think that impelled to a great extent by Doña Sofía, and that him inculca to the smallest of the Real House affection towards the animals and the nature. This attendance is a classic one and finally we could catch the moment a year more.

Its Majesty, reina, it took to its grandsons to see eshow of dolphins, seals, papagayos and other animals like pingüinos, flamenco and turtles. In this occasion our surprise was to see that next to Reina, infant Cristina and Jaime de Marichalar, also princess Alia arrived at the Faisal, wife of prince Faisal of Jordan, sister-in-law of king Abdalah, who has become esguince in Palm while she walked by the center of Ciutat with Reina and the Duchess of Palm.

Therefore, a spectacular bandage causes that princess Alia to the Faisal must be days in rest and their exits are in wheelchair. Infant Cristina is the one who personally pushed this wheelchair and helped the princess. The unexpected stumble of princess Alia was taken care of in a clinic of Palm and, in spite of the spectacular thing of the bandage, it does not seem nothing burdens.

http://www.ultimahora.es/segunda.dba?-1+9+369783

Old 08-13-2006, 05:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

I imagine that prompt we will have the images of all in Marineland. It seems that this year they have gone very soon, I believe that other years were going more at the end of August, probably someone of the Infantas is going to go to some place of trip.

Poor Alia!!! That form of beginning the vacations!!!
I believe that the Prince Faisal and the Princess Alia they were in the habit of going on holidays to Marbella. But this year the political scandals of the city have done that many persons move away of there. It seems that they have changed Marbella into Majorca.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Royal Highness

londonfeature

THE SPANISH ROYAL FAMILY VISIT MARINELAND MARINE ZOO ON THE ISLAND OF MALLORCA.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Royal Highness

more londonfeature

Old 08-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Serene Highness

Thanks monica for the article. I was waiting for the photos of the anual trip to marineland (which by the way is an amazing place)!!!

The Queen looks very nice! I'm glad more of the family went this year (Cristina etc).
Old 08-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

IMAGINATION!!!
Who has a magnifying glass ?

From londonfeatures

PRINCES OF ASTURIAS ON BOARD THE ROYAL BOAT 'SOMNI' OFF THE ISLAND OF MALLORCA

Old 08-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Heir Apparent

I find it interesting how very differently the Queen dresses in her off-time. Some of the outfits she has worn this summer (aside from those unflattering T-shirts in all the colours of the rainbow that represent the sailing club), such as this one from today, this outfit with the long flowing skirt, button-up shirt with the sash-belt, or this outfit with the long beaded-trim skirt and beaded top and the belt over the top to be so very different from the very matching, perfectly tailored suits she wears during the rest of the year.

Everything is much looser and less-stuffier. During her royal duties I always find Sofia to be impeccable. And while I know it's summer and she's on holidays, I am very surprised to see untucked in shirts or simply more stylish pieces of clothing in her closet, such as those long flowing, almost hippie-like skirts which are very fashionable right now, at least here in North America, as are belts worn over your long shirts.

I've always noticed it about Letizia, how her personal style is very different and distinct from her work style, but it's also true of Sofia. I wonder if the funkier, hippie style Sofia dons in her offtime is closer to who she is in personality?
Old 08-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica821
Are they princess Aicha and princess Sarah on the picture?

It was too good to be true...

Tags
breitling regatta, cristina, elena, felipe, froilán de marichalar, harald v, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, infanta elena, infanta leonor, irene urdangarín, jaime de marichalar, juan carlos i, juan urdangarín, leonor, letizia, mallorca, miguel urdangarin, pablo urdangarín, prince of asturias, princess of asturias, queen sofia, sofia (1938 -), summer holidays, victoria de marichalar