The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Heir Apparent

there are a lot of good spanish designers, but seems like Letizia chose the worst (dunno why )
del Pozo and Schlesser are among the few that still use good fabric to design their creations, and they aren't as expensive as Galliano or Versace are
the point is: Letizia would be better dressed in Zara clothing than in Varela's supposedly couture, so what's the point of having a "personal" designer if you're gonna look like everybody else? the whole point of being a royal is to stand out from a crowd

Old 12-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
The same person who pays for Queen Sofia and the Infantas as they do not wear such frumpy stuff like the PoA. If there is a clothes budget at least 80% of the money should still be untouched looking at Letizia's wardrobe in 2007 and now it's becoming tricky to still make use of Jaime's fashion discout connections Regarding the skinny topic, I did not think that Letizia was especially skinny on this event but looks like this most times since she came back to work. I agree the top cannot be Caprile's and overall she looked old and skinny (I expected her to look like that in 2027 but not in 2007)

I agree that Varela is bad, worse than the designers Sofia and the Infantas have been using. But my point was that Letizia couldn't buy Caprile's clothes whenever she wanted. Caprile's gown is rather expensive, where to get 6000 Euro for a gown from Caprile ?
I always think Sofia has a larger clothing budget since she is the Queen, about the Infantas, they don't do as many events, I don't know how much money they got for their clothes. Elena's clothes always looked the most expensive. Now she and Jaime are separated, we will find out soon if her clothes were bought and paid by Jaime or not.
I saw the gala on TV. I don't think Letizia looked bad or old except her top was old fashioned. Sometimes pictures didn't turn out well, expecially the pictures from terra website, very poor quality, doesn't favor the thin women.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Aristocracy

Another thing that should always be borne in mind, is that it takes two for a magnificent appearance: a gifted and trusted designer, and the personality/figure/body structure of the "model".
One such unique combination that created perfection was the Hubert de Givenchy - Audrey Hepburn harmonious collaboration for years.

Letizia is lucky enough to have a perfect figure, slim body and a strong personality - so, she is the right "material" for a gifted designer to work on.
I feel strenuously that Letizia is in a much better physical position than even Diana, in that the latter had some physical limitations such as unusual height and coarse facial features [eg nose etc.].
If Letizia decided to focus seriously in the fashion department, she could create history.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
I agree that Varela is bad, worse than the designers Sofia and the Infantas have been using. But my point was that Letizia couldn't buy Caprile's clothes whenver she wanted. Caprile's gown is rather expensive, where to get 6000 Euro for a gown from Caprile ?
You must be joking If Zarzuela feel that they cannot afford 6.000 Euro to buy a proper gala dress for the future Queen of Spain I feel sorry for them. I mean the SRF is not exactly poor. As crisinaki said, the whole point about royals is that they stand out, eg at such gala events. It's ludicrous to wear a tiara or other jewellery worth a fortune together with a 149,99 € top by Varela. I understand the Queen is the Queen and must stand out as lady No 1 - and she does - but neither of the Infantas would ever turn up at such an event in cheap meaning low quality & badly fitted clothing as designed by Varela and worn by Letizia.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
You must be joking If Zarzuela feel that they cannot afford 6.000 Euro to buy a proper gala dress for the future Queen of Spain I feel sorry for them. I mean the SRF is not exactly poor. As crisinaki said, the whole point about royals is that they stand out, eg at such gala events. It's ludicrous to wear a tiara or other jewellery worth a fortune together with a 149,99 € top by Varela. I understand the Queen is the Queen and must stand out as lady No 1 - and she does - but neither of the Infantas would ever turn up at such an event in cheap meaning low quality & badly fitted clothing as designed by Varela and worn by Letizia.
If I were a Spaniard, I would not want the royal family to spend a lot on clothing. Their service to the country would be more important to me than who's clothes they are wearing.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Heir Apparent

one part of the service to their country is to promote their designers abroad, to look appropiate in some acts, their appareance is vital, or would you want to see Letizia wearing a suit in a gala dinner? it's a part of who they are, their work is important, but their appareance is important as well

like I said, some of Varela's creations make Letizia look like an employee or so (see el Rastrillo, where she looked like the Queen's secretary or so), and it's quite a pity, because Letizia has a lot of potential clothes-wise (I agree with Philippe Egalite' on that) but she's wasting herself with those cheap, ill-fitting and not creative Varela outfits
Old 12-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I didn't mean that Letizia absolutely couldn't afford Caprile, but what I heard was that each had their clothing budget annually, she couldn't buy expensive clothes whenever she wanted to. Of course, she might be able to spend the money more wisely, ex. recycles more her daytime clothes (although I already think she recycled quite a lot), saves money to buy more expensive gowns.
I think her top was OK, just old-fashioned, it wasn't improper either. I have seen much worse gala gowns on other royals, whether expensive or cheap. I don't like Queen's gown either and don't think she stood out. The 'queen' of the gala was Isabel Preysler, that's the type of gowns I'd like to see Letizia wearing.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Not sure about Mrs Arroyo's gown, the sleeves are ugly.
The "Maria Clara" is one of the traditional dresses in the Philippines. It was a very popular dress when the Philippines was still under the Spaniards.

Here's an old photo: http://musictimeline.net/tours/Peralta/303_nati_3.jpg

The national costume became an emblematic expression of national identity.

Nowadays, designers are modifying/modernizing the look, but the sleeves of the dress remains the same... I guess without that sleeves, the dress would loose its identity.

http://www.geocities.com/heimlich_20886/binibini44.jpg

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2...m08rinakv7.jpg

http://casadelshai.files.wordpress.c...p-ad-forum.jpg
Old 12-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatea_12 View Post
The "Maria Clara" is one of the traditional dresses in the Philippines. It was a very popular dress when the Philippines was still under the Spaniards.
i'm sorry but Gloria was wearing the terno, the Filipino dress with "butterfly" sleeves made popular by Imelda Marcos, not the "Maria Clara" which is in line with the baro't saya (literally, blouse and skirt). i guess she only accompanied her dress with a shawl similar to the manton de Manila due to the cold.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodyBrat View Post
hey, what level are you now? attend their events, you might just spot Telma; that's how i got to see her. and i believe the society mag you're referring to is the January 2007 issue of Lifestyle Asia (with Imelda Marcos on the cover) and the event was the Flavors of Spain 2006 launch.

and i'm absolutely sure they will visit Instituto Cervantes and the other agencies of the Spanish government here when they do visit.

she and her husband speak spanish at home, that's probably why. the Tuason-Arroyo clans are "old money" families who still speak spanish to this day.

yes, she does. she always does. those congressmen like to travel for free. damn them.

you tell me. DoM, if you can glean from our comments, you guys can see we don't have any love for the President. we're just here because of the SRF.
Next year I'll start level 7. I think that's the magazine. I remember reading the article of Imelda Marcos. Yep, our politicians like to travel for free!!! The president's secretary of the press even commented that the King financed the trip of other Congressmen!!!! Hello! With 30+ of them, I don't think any monarch would finance the trip. Too costly IMO and even if the host will finance the visit I don't think they will allow to finance 30+ people. I think the First Family is the only one being financed since it's a State Visit but not the whole delegation...I'm just here to see the SRF not our president! :p
Old 12-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria View Post
Next year I'll start level 7. I think that's the magazine. I remember reading the article of Imelda Marcos. Yep, our politicians like to travel for free!!! The president's secretary of the press even commented that the King financed the trip of other Congressmen!!!! Hello! With 30+ of them, I don't think any monarch would finance the trip. Too costly IMO and even if the host will finance the visit I don't think they will allow to finance 30+ people. I think the First Family is the only one being financed since it's a State Visit but not the whole delegation...I'm just here to see the SRF not our president! :p
totally agree. someone pointed out that maybe the King's royal household or the Spanish government may have spent something for this visit, but i believe they would only foot the bill for the state dinner, meetings and such. i don't think they'd ever pay for the entourage's other expenses such as airfare or accommodations.