Originally posted by RealGabo@Feb 7th, 2004 - 5:31 pm
there isn't a La Zarzuela Palace, it is a Madrid's Royal Palace or Palace of Oriente (western) :P
From the website of the Spanish Royal Family.
La Zarzuela Palace
During the 17th century, King Felipe IV ordered a small country palace or hunting lodge to be built in a place called La Zarzuela, in the El Pardo woods close to Madrid. Designed by the Royal architects, Gomez de Mora and Carbonell, who represented the sober, early baroque style in Madrid, it comprised a rectangular, slate-roofed building with two lateral arcades. The main feature was the Italianate garden, with fountains at different levels on three terraces, an orchard and a tree nursery.
The palace was to give its name to the Spanish zarzuela, a genre of light theatrical works including both spoken dialogue and song. The earliest works of this type, based on libretti by Calderon de la Barca, were performed between 1657 and 1660.
Carlos IV carried out alterations to the building to adapt it to late 18th century taste, and adorned it with tapestries, porcelain and lamps from the Royal factories as well as furniture and his much-loved clocks, of which he created a magnificent collection.
The palace was seriously damaged during during the Civil War (1936-1939) and required extensive re-building. While retaining the original layout, it was re-designed as the residence for Prince Juan Carlos and, for the first time, was provided with the necessary facilities and services for the life and official functions of the Heir to the Crown.
Their Majesties have lived in the palace since their marriage in 1962. The atmosphere is one of simplicity, comfort and family life.
In addition to being a home, the La Zarzuela Palace is a place of work. It is where Their Majesties receive Heads of State and hold audiences and occasional receptions. The reception areas display furniture and objects from former Royal collections. In the Audience Hall hangs the late 16th century tapestry, "Alexander distributes riches amongst his friends", by Jakob Geubels II and Jan Raes.