State Visit from Argentina to Spain: February 21-25

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Video from Casa Real:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITv57C_SKSU

The Ceremony is great, but the Royal Guard needs to learn how to manage with the canons' smoke :D We forgive them since its their first time. Maybe they need to find a better place fo the canons.

I watched the ceremony live on TVE (international channel) and similar thoughts crossed my mind. First, I couldn't hear the national anthems because the music was drowned out by the noise from the cannons. Second, at one point, I could barely see the king and the president as they disappeared in a thick cloud of smoke.

I agree that the Royal Palace yard is the perfect location for the welcome reception, but the ceremony looked a little bit disorganized today, maybe because it was being held there for the first time.

Last edited:
Seems it clicked between Letizia and Juliana :)
Agree the courtyard looks spectacular.

The canons were placed at the arches at the West wing of the yard, from where there is a great sight over the gardens of "Campo del Moro" and the city of Madrid that goes downwards:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Erxu4uLWM0E/ToJcSh-2RLI/AAAAAAAACUs/f3Y7snivJ1M/s1600/P9200403.JPG
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/6413555.jpg

Scenographically, it's an appropriate place, in the highest point of downtown Madrid (the palace and cathedral area is appropriately called the "cornice" of Madrid). Here is a view from the river area (west of the palace) of the gardens and building (and the arcade pointed out):
Image - TinyPic - Alojamiento de imágenes y de vÃ*deo y uso compartido de fotos, gratis

But obviously it gets too close to the yard where the action is taking place, so I'm afraid they'll have to place the canons in a less visible and representative spot if they keep using the courtyard for these ceremonies.

If I recall it correctly, there were also cannons at Felipe's proclamation but they were located down in the gardens. After all, the "Campo del Moro" garden remains closed whenever the palace is used for State functions for security reasons, so it would not be an extra impediment. And there is full of room in the gardens to keep the smoke away from the yard :D
http://madridfree.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/urban+trip+campo+moro+visitas+madrid.jpg

Last edited:
As expected, Mrs Awada looked lovely. Her gala lace dress was feminine.

Last edited:
Can anyone identify the collar that HM The King is wearing ?

Really Juliana Aguada, looks stunning! I wonder who made her dress! beautiful!

:ROFLMAO::lol::whistling: HAHA Queen Letizia had to help President Macri to choose the right glass for the toast, he admites, oh, I pick up the wrong glass! He is very educated man, Engineer and travel the world but I think he forgot to learn the protocol for the table!:flowers:

Last edited:
It's the Order of the Liberator General San Martin, the same that Letizia is wearing.

How ironic that the King of Spain would wear an order named after a general who led a war of independence against one of his ancestors !

How ironic that the King of Spain would wear an order named after a general who led a rebellion against one of his ancestors !

It's just an order. Juan Carlos wore it too.

:previous: If we're going to be nitpicky with the orders name, the President has got the Order of Isabella the Catholic :D

Have we ever before seen so many pics from a SV to Spain? It's gorgeous to see more than a few stiff pics of the hosts and guests in front of a wall. I think we see a new approach to the media here.

Fantastic day time outfits for letizia and Juliana awada. They even matched in colour and hairstyle. Perfect!

Same for the gala, with letizia scoring highly for using a heavy gun tiara! I second that the tiara is unfortunately too big for letizias tiny frame. I'm glad she used it finally though! Had the idea we would never see it on her.

However odd timing to use it! I would have expected it to be used in some event with foreign royalty who would all wear tiaras rather than to a state visit with a republic country whose First Lady won't use any tiaras. It completely overshadows the guests so unfortunately this was not the perfect time to debut it in my opinion. Queen Margrethes 75th birthday bash, the state visit to Japan which is coming or the one which was supposed to take place in the uk would have been the right environment to use it!

Julianas gala dress is less impressive but nice enough.

However odd timing to use it! I would have expected it to be used in some event with foreign royalty who would all wear tiaras rather than to a state visit with a republic country whose First Lady won't use any tiaras. It completely overshadows the guests so unfortunately this was not the perfect time to debut it in my opinion. Queen Margrethes 75th birthday bash, the state visit to Japan which is coming or the one which was supposed to take place in the uk would have been the right environment to use it!

That was my same thought as well, odd timing.

Nevertheless, Letizia totally surprised me with the tiara yet looked lovely.

Argentina's first lady looked very nice, I honestly didn't think she would disappoint, she is an elegant lady.

Be still my heart, the events are not yet over! This State Visit is a gift that keeps on giving :D

Letizia looks AMAZING, today she clearly outshines Juliana Awada (who looked very much her match during both events yesterday)

There were a couple of nice-funny moments at the toasts and speeches.

First, after thanking TM and Spain for the welcoming and stating that he and his wife had felt at home throught all their time in Spain, President Macri told they had found a new problem: their daughter Antonia, 5, now does not want to leave El Pardo palace and wants to live there forever. And they're having a hard time dealing with that, as he noted while the audience laughed :lol:

(I didn't know their daughter was with them, it's nice that they travel as a family. Imagine how exciting must the life of a "First Child" be :D )

ETA: Ops, video from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU3SFctf0Z8

The Argentinean President delivered a good and warm speech, with no reading at all which was nice, he seemed quite approachable, IMO. The second funny moment went when he finished his speech and started the toast... picking the water glass. Thoughtful Letizia inmediately pointed it out to him, saving him from make a water toast and the consequent bad fortune call! :eek: :lol:

Somebody in Tumblr made gifs out of that part:
Realeza Española

Although you can see it too at the end of the video in this post ;)

Last edited:
The Tiara

Someone mentioned upthread their surprise at seeing this tiara at a visit where the guest would not be wearing one. I saw it as a compliment to the visitors that the Queen would wear it. If I'm ever invited to such an occasion, I would like for the royal ladies to bring out their best jewels!

Someone mentioned upthread their surprise at seeing this tiara at a visit where the guest would not be wearing one. I saw it as a compliment to the visitors that the Queen would wear it. If I'm ever invited to such an occasion, I would like for the royal ladies to bring out their best jewels!
I agree, it make the event even more important and I think make the guests to feel good. Of course I thought about Juliana not able t use a tiara, but she could have had a small piece of jewelry on her hair, may be something traditional from argentina, it had to be made special for the occasion, like a brooch set on her hair like Princess Mary does. may be with diamonds and lapizlazu or rodocrosita, typical stones from Argentina.

Back
Top Bottom