Spanish Royals in Greece for the 2004 Olympic Games

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandria

Heir Apparent
Country
Canada
Thanks for posting the links, Alexandria.

Infanta Pilar is a very Beautiful Women. It is always nice to see her:)

ATHENS, Greece: Spain's Queen Sofia (R) sits with her sister Princess Irene of Greece prior to the start of the opening ceremony of the 2004 Olympic Games at the Olympic stadium in Athens, 13 August 2004. Some 10,000 athletes representing 202 countries are marching together in front of 70,000 spectators at the opening ceremony, kicking off a fortnight of sporting competition that is costing 7.2 billion USD to stage. AFP PHOTO / Roberto SCHMIDT (Photo credit should read Roberto SCHMIDT/AFP/Getty Images)

51166446.jpg

I finally got to see the opening ceremonies re-run (big time difference from where I live and Greece) on my local Olympic network. They showed Sofia several times, when the Spanish athletes came out during the Parade of Nations and also behind Willem of the Netherlands when the Dutch athletes came out. Sofia had so much enthusiasm it was infectious! (Okay, so I had had a couple of drinks while I was watching it at the bar but I know that I did not imagine Sofia's enthusiasm! :p) She was even waving her handkerchief or flag when the Dutch team came out.

I also saw Cristina and Jaime de Marichalar while the choir was singing but did not see Inaki or Elena. Jaime looked quite stern. Being at the Olympics must be a bit nostalgic for Cristina -- it was the Salt Lake City (or was it Atlanta? :confused: ) games that Cristina and Inaki met even though they didn't start a relationship until after the Olympics.

Last edited:
what about Crown Prince Felipe and Crown Letizia of Austria? if both still there or dont attend?

Sara Boyce

I saw Princess Elena on TV. She was cheering on the Greeks as they entered the arena. She looked quite happy. I thought I saw Prince Ali of Jordan carrying a picture of Abdullah while the Jordanian delegation was marching in.

Spanish Royals in Greece for the Olympics

Alexandria said:
I finally got to see the opening ceremonies re-run (big time difference from where I live and Greece) on my local Olympic network. They showed Sofia several times, when the Spanish athletes came out during the Parade of Nations and also behind Willem of the Netherlands when the Dutch athletes came out. Sofia had so much enthusiasm it was infectious! (Okay, so I had had a couple of drinks while I was watching it at the bar but I know that I did not imagine Sofia's enthusiasm! :p) She was even waving her handkerchief or flag when the Dutch team came out.

I also saw Cristina and Jaime de Marichalar while the choir was singing but did not see Inaki or Elena. Jaime looked quite stern. Being at the Olympics must be a bit nostalgic for Cristina -- it was the Salt Lake City (or was it Atlanta? :confused: ) games that Cristina and Inaki met even though they didn't start a relationship until after the Olympics.
No Alexandria.Elena also attended.I saw her.She sat near Cristina.

Inaki was sitting with the Spanish Olympic Committee because he is vice president.

Sara1981--Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia may attend later, but this weekend they have to fly to the Dominican Republic for the inauguration of the president.

The Queen must be very happy to be back in Greece.

lucys said:
Inaki was sitting with the Spanish Olympic Committee because he is vice president.

The Queen must be very happy to be back in Greece.

Yes, I realized that after reading some othe messages on another MB. It completely left my mind last night that Inaki would be with the Spanish committee just as Pilar was sitting with the other members of the IOC. :eek:

From the images I saw last night I think Sofia looked down right exuberant to be back in Greece and cheering on the Spanish team. The best of both worlds for her! :)

Queen Sofia of Spain claps after Carlos Moya of Spain won the second set in his match against Ivo Karlovic of Croatia in the Athens 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece 18 August 2004. Moya went on to win in three sets 4-6, 7-6, 6-4. AFP PHOTO/ ROBERTO SCHMIDT (Photo credit should read ROBERTO SCHMIDT/AFP/Getty Images)
The Queen is sitted with International Tennis Federation Executive Vice-President Spaniard Juan Margets.

Attachments

• sophia.jpg
    sophia.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 409
  • sophia2.jpg
    sophia2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 416
  • sophia3.jpg
    sophia3.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 479
Infanta Elena and Don Jaime.

Is it me or is the body language between Infanta ELena and Don Jaime quite "frosty"?

Alexandria said:
The Spanish royals seem to be everywhere at the Olympics games -- and Felipe and Letizia aren't even there yet! How is the Spanish team doing? There is not much coverage of the Spanish athletes when I am from -- of course our CBC is focused mainly on the Canadian athletes. (I heard on my drive home from work earlier this afternoon that of the 41 countries particpating, Canada is in 41st place in terms of receiving medals. :( Smaller and less well-known countries than Canada have won more medals than us, which goes to show you, size does not matter!)
When are Felipe and Letizia due to arrive in Greece?

In my opinion, the body language between Infanta ELena and Don Jaime isn't frosty. They look happier at the games then at the wedding.

How is the Spanish team doing? There is not much coverage of the Spanish athletes when I am from -- of course our CBC is focused mainly on the Canadian athletes.

It's only natural for each country to cover their own athletes. The Spanish team had a disappointing first week--they won a few silvers and a bronze.

Remember when it was always the USSR vs the USA in the medal race? Now its always USA vs China--I think I just aged myself with that comment!

electrivicki said:
The Spanish royals seem to be everywhere at the Olympics games ...and Spain ONLY 10 ...
I think we need not to have a person with such a rude quote in this Forum.

Conde,

I totally agree and it is being taken care of as soon as possible.

Last edited:
I just saw Dona Pilar handing out the medals at the team competition in show jumping. They said she was President of the Rider's Association or something like that??? I didn't know she does horseback riding. Or maybe in her youth?? Just from the sight she doesn't look like being active or sporty.

winter said:
I just saw Dona Pilar handing out the medals at the team competition in show jumping. They said she was President of the Rider's Association or something like that??? I didn't know she does horseback riding. Or maybe in her youth?? Just from the sight she doesn't look like being active or sporty.

That's such an ignorant stereotype. :mad: That just because she is not athletic looking, trim or fit she can't be the president of a rider's association or the president of any sport or sport-related organization? Or that her only qualifications to be a patron of such an organization is because she was sporty in her youth.

Infanta Pilar is also a member of the IOC and supports other atheltic and sport-related charities and organizations in Spain. Perhaps it is these affiliations and the fact that she brings attention to these organizations that make her an asset to these organizations.

Hi Genevieve!

I'm very sorry but that's really not what I said or tried to say. I'm not a native english speaker and may have used awkward wording.

I don't have a problem with Dona Pilar being President of whatsoever at all.
All I wanted to say is that I didn't know about her dedication to horses or horseback riding. I mean Inaki is still dedicated to handball - Felipe to sailing. So I simply thought that she especially likes riding.
And not looking slim and fit has also nothing to do with being President of a sport association (especially not at age 60+!). And I think I didn't say that.
Although, in general, I must say to do a certain sport would be a good qualification to later become a patron aside from being royal.

I hope I was able to clarify my words. Sorry again for the misunderstanding.

More images of the Spanish Royals at the Olympics--these are great father and son photos.
http://www.seegerpress-online.de/topixx/data/pre-SEEGER00122602.jpg
http://www.seegerpress-online.de/topixx/data/pre-SEEGER00122603.jpg
http://www.seegerpress-online.de/topixx/data/pre-SEEGER00122604.jpg
http://www.seegerpress-online.de/topixx/data/pre-SEEGER00122605.jpg

And Elena and Jaime
http://www.seegerpress-online.de/topixx/data/pre-SEEGER00122569.jpg

By the way, Felipe and Letizia have arrived in Athens to watch the last few days.
http://estaticos.elmundo.es/elmundo/imagenes/2004/08/25/1093436560_0.jpg

I'm sure most of the Spanish royals will be at tomorrow's big Basketball game between Spain and the USA.

Last edited:
Pictures of Felipe and Letizia at the olympics

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/cfw/FrameSet.aspx?s=ImagesSearchState|0|30|0|1|||0|0|0|0|7|letizia|0|0&p=7

(hop the link works)

New pic of Queen Sofia at the Olympics today.

Attachments

• 51217089.jpg
    51217089.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 337
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom