Spanish Royal Orders and Medals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linda85

Aristocracy
City
-
Country
United States
Hi! I just saw the wonderful pictures of the Chinese State Gala banquet this evening. I have a question and wondered if anyone can answer it. I would appreciate it.

What is the order that Inaki U is wearing? Why does Jamie D. not have one or does he? What is the highest official honor of Spain? Is it the Golden Fleece or the order of Carlos III?

Any enlightenment of this would be a great help.

Thanks,
Linda 85:)

I think the reason Inaki is wearing an order is because he was given an order of Sports Merit because of his contribution as former handball player of the spanish team.
is that right?

I don't think so. These orders worn during State Visits always belong to the other party. You get an order, each time you receive/visit a country, and the more visits you pay/receive, the more orders you get.
So, the sashes worn by the Chinese party are Spanish, but the ones worn by the Spanish are Chinese, I believe.

so, during this state visit, the members of royal family (i think the king, quee, and prince felipe) receive chinese orders?
are there any chinese order? it's quite weird because if the chinese president did receive a spanish order, he didn't wear it on a gala in his honour?
i also wonder, did princess letizia receive this chinese order?

elsa, is there a website that describe what orders do each members of the SRF has received?

thanks...

Well, I don't know if China has any orders or not, but that is what usually happens, when other countries visit Spain...

Anyway, here is a website with all the Spanish Military Orders:
http://www.heraldaria.com/omilitares.php

Elsa M. said:
Well, I don't know if China has any orders or not, but that is what usually happens, when other countries visit Spain...

Anyway, here is a website with all the Spanish Military Orders:
http://www.heraldaria.com/omilitares.php

thank you for the link, elsa...
what i actually meant is whether there's a site (or in official casareal.es) that mention what foreign orders have the king, queen, felipe, and the infantas received over the past years?
i saw something like this on kongehuset.no for the norwegian & kongehuset.dk for the danish
thanks a lot..

purple_platinum said:
thank you for the link, elsa...
what i actually meant is whether there's a site (or in official casareal.es) that mention what foreign orders have the king, queen, felipe, and the infantas received over the past years?
i saw something like this on kongehuset.no for the norwegian & kongehuset.dk for the danish
thanks a lot..
I don´t think so, the Royal Website of the SRF is very minimalistic :rolleyes:

http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/medallas/texto/gcc3.htm

Royal and Distinguished Spanish Order of Carlos III, Great Cross

Creation
Instituted by the King Don Carlos III, by Royal Certificate of Royal September 19, 1771 Decree 1051/2002, of October 11

Purpose

Is the highest honorific distinction between the civil Spanish Orders. It has for object reward the citizens that with the efforts, initiatives and works have given eminent and extraordinary services to the Nation.

ISABEL'S THE CATHOLIC ROYAL AND AMERICAN ORDER

Attachments

• coic.jpg
    coic.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 270
  • cooic.jpg
    cooic.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 322
  • cpoic.jpg
    cpoic.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 300
  • eoic.jpg
    eoic.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 307
  • mboic.jpg
    mboic.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 299
  • mpoic.jpg
    mpoic.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 313
I was wondering if someone could help me out I am trying to figure out what Spanish order each of the members of the SRF have ?

Thanks

I know both Infantas received the order of Isabel the Catholic when they became 18 years old and started doing public acts

In answer to:
I don't think so. These orders worn during State Visits always belong to the other party. You get an order, each time you receive/visit a country, and the more visits you pay/receive, the more orders you get.
So, the sashes worn by the Chinese party are Spanish, but the ones worn by the Spanish are Chinese, I believe

This is only partially right! It is true that during a state visit you wear the other country's decorations to honour them - but that is only if you have a decoration from that country- if you don't, you wear your own decoration.

The order Inaki wears is the Order of Sports Merit ([SIZE=-1]Real Orden del Mérito Deportivo)- he was awarded this decoration in late 2001 for his Olympic accomplishments.[/SIZE]

Spanish orders and decorations of Queen Sofia

I have often wondered which of the Spanish orders and decorations Queen Sofia has received. I have read on other sites and seen in pictures that H.M has received the Order of Carlos III and the Royal Order of Queen Maria Luisa. But what about the Golden Fleece? Has Queen Sofia received this order? I wonder because in the attached picture H.M seems to be wearing the sash of the order. It is wider and of different design to the Carlos III sash. Your assistance is appreciated.

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/5899/74731902c6703bid1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Medals of Juan Carlos

Can anyone identify the various medals that King Juan Carlos is wearing in the photos at the site linked below? Especially the large one on the chain? Is that the Golden Fleece?

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected#

PS: If this is in the wrong forum, I do apologize.

It isn't the Order of the Golden Fleece. I'm assuming, from looking at Felipe, Letizia and Queen Sofia that JC is wearing an order from Argentina. Felipe is wearing a red sash (while Letizia and Sofia are wearing light blue- another Argentine order?) and the same medal at his collar, so Felipe and JC are wearing the same order. JC is wearing the collar so he was probably given a higher or the highest order, while Felipe is wearing a lower rank of the same order. If the order Letizia and Sofia is another Argentine order (which I expect it is since getty has a close-up of it), I expect it is a lesser order.

The Spanish Ambassador to Ireland, His Excellency José María Rodríguez-Coso presented the Plate of the Order of Isabel La Católica to the Grange and Armada Development Association on behalf of H.M.King Felipe VI today.The Associations award was in recognition of the work carried out on the wreckage of the Spanish Armada on the coast Ireland.

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2017/0825/899986-sligo-honour-spanish-armada/

I have often wondered which of the Spanish orders and decorations Queen Sofia has received. I have read on other sites and seen in pictures that H.M has received the Order of Carlos III and the Royal Order of Queen Maria Luisa. But what about the Golden Fleece? Has Queen Sofia received this order? I wonder because in the attached picture H.M seems to be wearing the sash of the order. It is wider and of different design to the Carlos III sash. Your assistance is appreciated.

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/5899/74731902c6703bid1.jpg

Consorts don't receive the Order of the Golden Fleece, male or female.

It isn't the Order of the Golden Fleece. I'm assuming, from looking at Felipe, Letizia and Queen Sofia that JC is wearing an order from Argentina. Felipe is wearing a red sash (while Letizia and Sofia are wearing light blue- another Argentine order?) and the same medal at his collar, so Felipe and JC are wearing the same order. JC is wearing the collar so he was probably given a higher or the highest order, while Felipe is wearing a lower rank of the same order. If the order Letizia and Sofia is another Argentine order (which I expect it is since getty has a close-up of it), I expect it is a lesser order.

You're right about the Collar but wrong about the orders.

Juan Carlos was wearing the Collar of the Grand Cross of the Order of the Liberator General San Martín, although he wasn't wearing the sash for the Order

Queen Sofia was wearing the Grand Cross of the Order of the Liberator General San Martín

Leticia was wearing the Grand Cross of the Order of the Liberator General San Martín

Felipe was wearing the Grand Cross of the Order of May which is a below the Order the other three wore, for some reason it was probably because he was wearing the Order as he was newly honoured with it but already having the higher one. Since his accession to the throne, Felipe is a recipient of the Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of the Liberator General San Martín as well as Grand Cross of the Order of May

Today, on the 50th birthday of King Felipe VI, his eldest daughter and heir: Infanta Leonor, The Princess of Asturias will be invested with the insignia as a Knight of the Order of the Golden Fleece.
She was made a Knight of the Order in 2015, a day ahead of her 10th birthday

When will Sofia receive the order?

She probably won't. Only the heir to the throne normally receives the Order of the Golden Fleece.

Sofia will probably get the Order of Carlos III as her mother did. Queen consorts BTW don't get the Golden Fleece either. The Spanish Court is still very conservative in certain matters.

She probably won't. Only the heir to the throne normally receives the Order of the Golden Fleece.

Sofia will probably get the Order of Carlos III as her mother did. Queen consorts BTW don't get the Golden Fleece either. The Spanish Court is still very conservative in certain matters.

I hope pretty soon, it's pretty annoying how many Infantes and Princes who weren't even related to the Spanish Royal Family were made Knights of the Order but the own daughters of the sovereign weren't.

Of course during the reign of Queen Isabella II, she revoked the orders from many Spanish and Portuguese Infantes and foreign princes who were against her rightful reign as Queen of Spain

When will Sofia receive the order?

The Order of the Golden Fleece has been bestowed on nearly all male Infantes, but no female Infantas have received it, based on the listing given on this website:

Society of the Golden Fleece

Here is the decree bestowing the Golden Fleece on Infante José de Baviera y Borbón of Spain, a nephew of the King Alfonso XIII, in 1924.

http://boe.es/datos/pdfs/BOE//1924/198/A00376-00376.pdf

The Order of the Golden Fleece has been bestowed on nearly all male Infantes, but no female Infantas have received it, based on the listing given on this website:

Society of the Golden Fleece

Here is the decree bestowing the Golden Fleece on Infante José de Baviera y Borbón of Spain, a nephew of the King Alfonso XIII, in 1924.

http://boe.es/datos/pdfs/BOE//1924/198/A00376-00376.pdf

I meant that only the heir to throne receives it now, but, since there has been no new male infante under King Juan Carlos or King Felipe VI, I guess we don't know what the future policy will be.

Last edited:
:previous: I see what you mean now. I agree - the Spanish royal house might reserve the Golden Fleece for heirs to the throne in the future, much as it reserved succession to the HRH title for children of heirs to the throne in 1987.

I believe all children, regardless of gender should be invested as knights of the Order excluding spouses (male or female)

The last the order was bestowed was to Enrique V. Iglesias who was made a
Knight of the Order of the Golden Fleece in 2014.

There are now 18 living members with year order was bestowed.

King Felipe VI of Spain (1981)
King Juan Carlos I of Spain (1941)
King Constantine II of Greece (1964)
The King of Sweden (1983)
Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg (1983)
The Emperor of Japan (1985)
Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands (1985)
The Queen of Denmark (1985)
Queen Elizabeth II (1989)
King Albert II of Belgium (1994)
The King of Norway (1995)
Tsar Simeon II of Bulgaria 2004
The Grand Duke of Luxembourg (2007)
Javier Solana (2010)
Víctor García de la Concha (2010)
Nicolas Sarkozy, (2011)
Enrique Valentín Iglesias García (2014)
The Princess of Asturias (2015)

Recent deceased members and year it was awarded

Don Adolfo , Duke of Suarez (2007)
The King Of Thailand (2006)
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia (2007)
Don Carlos,Duke of Calabria (1964)

With the passing of The Infanta Pilar of Spain there are now only 2 surviving Dames of the Royal Order of Queen Maria Luisa.

HRH The Infanta Margarita, Duchess of Hernani
H.M. Queen Sofia

At the start of King Felipe VI's reign there were 4 surviving dames but 2 have since passed away.

HRH The Infanta Alicia, Dowager Duchess of Calabria (died 2017)
HRH The Infanta Pilar, Duchess of Badajoz,dowager Viscountess de la Torre (Died 2020)

Yes, those are the historic orders that were established before the 20th century and are still considered the highest and most prestigious Spanish honors. I would also add the Royal and Military Order of San Fernando to the list, although it is not a civil order, but a military one.

However, there is also a long list of other civil orders created in the 20th and 21st centuries which are classified as "royal orders" too and whose higher grades are awarded by Royal Decree (lower grades are normally awarded by ministerial order only). For example: the order of Civil Merit, the order of Alfonso X the Wise, the order of San Raimundo de Peñafort, the order of Agrarian Merit (Translation ?), etc.

There is a complete list in the page of "Protocolo y Ceremonial" in the Official State Gazette (B.O.E.). You can also find links in that page to all acts of Parliament and royal decrees regulating titles and membership of the Royal Family, order of precedence, awarding of and succession to Grandeeships of Spain and Titles of the Realm (legally recognized titles of nobility), as well as the statutes of all royal orders, except the Golden Fleece, which officially is still considered a dynastic order, I guess, even though it is awarded by Royal Decree countersigned by the the prime minister and published in the B.O.E. , as any other civil State order

https://boe.es/legislacion/codigos/codigo.php?id=116&modo=2&nota=0&tab=2

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom