Spanish Royal Family Summer Holidays 2017 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spanish Royal Family Summer Holidays 2017/2018

Look, any “damage” that’s been done to Leonor’s image was done by her parents, end of story.

The hugely negative public reaction after the incident at Palma - towards Letizia but also somewhat towards Leonor - wasn’t just because of the scene at the cathedral, although that was shocking in itself.

Letizia’s behaviour had been problematic for years. The perception that she was going through the motions at her work, such as it was, the all too often visibly bored or irritated expressions in public, the sometimes shockingly inappropriate clothing choices, the various other obvious and, to many, very off putting physical changes, the casually disrespectful gestures - walking by Sofia and a group of officials at a prior reception in Palma without acknowledging them, let alone stopping to speak to them, casually reapplying her lipstick in front of Felipe and I forget which senior government official at a formal public occasion, the obvious lack of enjoyment and lack of desire to hide her dislike for Palma for many years, (while having no trouble making use of the beautiful estate there which she and her husband don’t actually own).

And then of course there was the lack of meaningful communication with the press, (and therefore the public), on the part of both Letizia and Felipe and their determination to keep the public appearances of their daughters to as close to zero as possible. Photographs only in very controlled, choreographed settings and certainly no uppity reporter better have the gall to actually speak to the girls!

They were certainly able to have their cake and eat it for years but, of course, what all the above meant was that neither Letizia nor the girls had any bank of goodwill built up with the Spanish population. People actively disliked Letizia and they had no idea what Leonor was actually like as a person. The Spanish press had likely been getting increasingly irritated for years by Felipe and Letizia’s attitude towards them and were all too happy to drop their usually protective stance towards Felipe and his family and let them see how bad things could get with a press actively working against them and the public cheering them on.

Trying to attribute Letizia and Leonor’s current image problems to a grandmother holding her granddaughters hand or a “bitter old woman” who can’t give up the spot light is like trying to explain why the Titanic sank without mentioning the iceberg.

I agree! If you read the Spanish press over the last few years, it merely reflects a conservative notion among the populace that the current queen isn’t quite making the mark and they have deep and truly earned respect for Reina Sofia especially looking at these summer holiday images that remind us of a happier time.x

Last edited:
In her first years as Queen, Sofia was also criticized. Now the Spanish press has made her the victim of the story, because every good story needs a victim... but one day things can change, and they can begin to comment on her negative things.

Photos

https://www.diariodemallorca.es/mul...egada-invitados-recepcion-real-almudaina.html

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_e...803128080/recepcion-palacio-almudaina-moda/2/

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...zia-recepcion-almudaina-reina-sofia_1601226#0

https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/6257678

Spanish Royals Host a Dinner for Authorities in Palma de Mallorca - Zimbio

Last edited by a moderator:
Spanish Royal Family Summer Holidays 2017/2018

In her first years as Queen, Sofia was also criticized. Now the Spanish press has made her the victim of the story, because every good story needs a victim... but one day things can change, and they can begin to comment on her negative things.

Photos

https://www.diariodemallorca.es/mul...egada-invitados-recepcion-real-almudaina.html

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_e...803128080/recepcion-palacio-almudaina-moda/2/

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...zia-recepcion-almudaina-reina-sofia_1601226#0

Extraordinary observation since the “free press” was relatively new when Sofia became Queen and all the Spaniards seemed to adore democratic JC and his consort. Do you mean she was criticised by the fascists who still pined for Franco’s widow Dona Carmen? That criticism
Would be a very very good thing!IMG_0057.JPG

Last edited:
You have a lot of negative comments about Queen Letizia. To write so much about a person indicates you think a lot about her. It is so obvious it’s jealousy. I think Felipe is doing an excellent job as a king. He is dignified, hard working and is an example for others. Queen Letizia seems to be very tense. I wish she would relax and smile more often. I sense QL, wants to be perfect, an impossibility. I wish she could understand the people of Spain will judge her no matter how she acts, thus QL, be yourself in public. Accept your role and smile.

Envy of what, Julia? You must know that I’m far from a minority in not approving of Letizia’s performance as a royal.. Are all the many, many people who don’t approve of her envious??

In the future I’d ask you to please think twice before accusing another woman of envy towards a woman in the public eye. This is something I’ve noticed Letizia’s most enthusIastic fans do a lot and are doing it more frequently the less popular Letizia becomes. Calling another woman envious is a way to try to discredit her opinion without actually countering her argument. It’s also sometjing that would never be said to a man with the exact same position. It’s ok for a woman to be open about not approving of another woman for any number of reasons.

I’m sure there are some people who are envious of Letizia. I’m not one of them. I wouldn’t choose a royal life for myself or my children. And I get the feeling that, if she could do things again, neither would Letizia. Someone who didn’t get the life they thought they were getting and can’t or won’t adapt gracefully is not to be envied.

Envy of what, Julia? You must know that I’m far from a minority in not approving of Letizia’s performance as a royal.. Are all the many, many people who don’t approve of her envious??

In the future I’d ask you to please think twice before accusing another woman of envy towards a woman in the public eye. This is something I’ve noticed Letizia’s most enthusIastic fans do a lot and are doing it more frequently the less popular Letizia becomes. Calling another woman envious is a way to try to discredit her opinion without actually countering her argument. It’s also sometjing that would never be said to a man with the exact same position. It’s ok for a woman to be open about not approving of another woman for any number of reasons.

I’m sure there are some people who are envious of Letizia. I’m not one of them. I wouldn’t choose a royal life for myself or my children. And I get the feeling that, if she could do things again, neither would Letizia. Someone who didn’t get the life they thought they were getting and can’t or won’t adapt gracefully is not to be envied.

I stand by what I said. I will say it to a man or a woman. As you said your opinion I said mine.

Letizia's image in Spain is neutral at best, in general people either don't care or they don't like her, especially monarchists, they prefer the traditional Sofia.

Oh, I'm disappointed but I'm Spanish and I do not like the TRADITIONAL Sofia. Young or middle-aged people do not understand that a lady can support the lovers of her husband to remain a queen or that she defends her delinquent son-in-law, who does not know how to speak Spanish correctly ... or who demonstrates against gays. .. etc etc
In Spain there are many people who LOVE their kings, Felipe and Letizia, so I do not understand that of "neutral" but perhaps abroad I know more about my country than I do myself living in Spain. Only maybe.
Letizia is a young, modern, strong queen ... a woman of our time, not like Sofia, who is perceived as an old woman from another era.
You have respect for your age and because always, a woman miserable as Sofia has been, is perceived as a victim by a sector, but nothing more. I do not want to feel sorry for my queen. I prefer that they are strong passions.
PD: It's funny, but if you look closely, you'll see that not everyone who writes in Spanish is Spanish and therefore is not an opinion of Spain. It is the same as everyone who writes in English is not British; I hope you understand.
Sorry for my lousy English

e. This is something I’ve noticed Letizia’s most enthusIastic fans do a lot and are doing it more frequently the less popular Letizia becomes..

My sincere apologies, but why should my queen Letizia be popular abroad? It is enough that it is loved in Spain and my theory that it is the foreigners who most "hate" our queen, has a lot of base.
PS: "Hate" is obviously a joke.
Sorry for my bad English

Extraordinary observation since the “free press” was relatively new when Sofia became Queen and all the Spaniards seemed to adore democratic JC and his consort. Do you mean she was criticised by the fascists who still pined for Franco’s widow Dona Carmen? That criticism
Would be a very very good thing!View attachment 301385

¿fascists? Do the Fascists now hate Letizia? REALLY your speech is strange.
Sofia was simply the "Greek" or "Sofea" .. ugly means ugly.
Sofia always looked very cold and distant, unattractive, the Spaniards always knew that King JC had lovers and that she endured everything for ambition.
Who can admire such a person? But then, Felipe did not marry a princess who admitted lovers of her husband ... and the Spaniards suffered a strong shock with the change of roles. For the first time she was a Spanish queen for a long time, young, beautiful, divorced (this was not a problem), professional, a strong woman (accustomed to a weak woman of permissive character) Well ... there were many factors and it would be Very extensive for my bad English.
I can tell you that the Spanish queens have had a hard time being loved; Ena ... was a hated queen, and many lies were invented about her, only because she was not the daughter of kings ... and her marriage was seen as unequal. It seems that Spain has not changed in any way
The young and middle-aged people admit very well that Letizia is a young and strong woman, but they have to have the respect that age demands, for Sofia. Nothing else.

Wondering why you see Leonor being 'damaged'? :ermm: Sincere question. How is she being damaged? What is the 'inhumane' treatment Leonor is being subject to?

I am not disagreeing with your summation of the situation with Sofia (you may well be right, I don't know), but don't we all learn to be patient and careful with the elderly in our midst? It seems to me that Leonor has to be with her grandmother in public at rare intervals. So what that she is obliged to hold her grandmother's hand at these rare intervals? If Sofia is as you say then patience is required. Its good for a young person to learn that forbearance with the elderly.

Wondering, too, what are the negative consequences for Leonor's mother? Regarding what? I am familiar with the cathedral event. Sorry to be obtuse. :huh:

Leonor is 12 years old but despite being a girl she also has her dignity and her personal freedom. his personal space ... and is being invaded tremendously by his hoarding grandmother. It is tremendous to assume this for a 12-year-old girl, and I do not like to see my princess suffer, future queen.
They will love their grandmother without a doubt, but in private it would be much better to be affectionate, not every time there is a camera in front of them.
You only have to see Leonor's face in the posed with her parents and with the exits with the grandmother holding her hand all the time (she did not even allow us to have a picture of the royal family, the four of them) Leonor was happy and safe responding to journalists at the press conference, but very contained and educated because she is aware of her role already. It is not insecurity but EDUCATION. And responsibility She wants to do everything well, because she is just like her father, according to the whole world: responsible and serene. When she was clinging to her grandmother, she did not look happy, although she tried and managed to separate herself a little and smile at the photographers. She is almost 13 years old and should not be treated like a rag doll, nor invade her space ... If she wants to shake hands with her father, mother or grandparents ... spontaneously, it's okay, but do not force a child to do something like that.
Any psychologist will be

And I think that Leonor and Sofia are not only super well educated, but they are fully aware and responsible for their roles, ... maybe because in Spain being a king is much more serious than in other countries and your attitude and your training matter a lot. your education ... and that is why when you are in front of the media you do not play being models or anything else. A princess and an infanta of Spain should behave like this: with responsibility from small, but at the right time.
Leonor is the excuse of the queen emeritus to remain the center in some way, since she lost everything. She is no longer queen, her grandchildren do not let her manipulate them, and her husband is always far away. Your son is king and now there is another queen. What's left for Sofia? The piety of the Spaniards, we always show to the elderly and hypocritically solidarity with those who have been unhappy.
Sofia is seen as unfortunate and society forgives her for it, when they used to insult her. That's how we are hypocrites.
I feel that it is my answer so extensive, but I did not want you to think that I did not want to answer you. It's just hard for me to do it in English.

It's certainly very amusing reading the comments in this thread.

I've always thought Letizia was more popular in the foreign media/royal watching circle than in the domestic (due to her looks, fashion, etc... because why would they care about anything else?). To read that it might not be so... hmmmm....

Well, I think it's important to accept that your opinion and your perception of the popular opinion may not always be true. So, peace.

It's certainly very amusing reading the comments in this thread.

I've always thought Letizia was more popular in the foreign media/royal watching circle than in the domestic (due to her looks, fashion, etc... because why would they care about anything else?). To read that it might not be so... hmmmm....

Well, I think it's important to accept that your opinion and your perception of the popular opinion may not always be true. So, peace.

We are in a forum, which is not a means of communication.
Serious media have no need to invent and insult a person whose behavior is great ... regardless of whether you like your clothes or not: rofl:: rofl:
I speak of social networks, many that are written in Spanish but do not come from Spain ... Anyone who knows the language will be able to identify the difference ... Anyway, it is my opinion and I will always defend my queen, because there are no reasons for that. She is a great queen, she was a great princess of Asturias and she is a great mother and wife.

We are in a forum, which is not a means of communication.
Serious media have no need to invent and insult a person whose behavior is great ... regardless of whether you like your clothes or not: rofl:: rofl:
I speak of social networks, many that are written in Spanish but do not come from Spain ... Anyone who knows the language will be able to identify the difference ... Anyway, it is my opinion and I will always defend my queen, because there are no reasons for that. She is a great queen, she was a great princess of Asturias and she is a great mother and wife.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And of course there are Spaniards who are in favour of Letizia (you are clearly one of them) and there are others who don't like her at all (they also have their reasons to come to a different conclusion) and there is probably a large group in between that doesn't really care.

While I think the handholding by Sofía is over the top, we see Felipe and Letizia exhibiting comparing belittling behaviour towards the girls. Felipe touching his daughter's cheeks in front of the cameras stood out to me in the last photo call. Letizia managing her girls all the time almost anytime they are seen in public. It must not be easy for the girls to have such a control freak as a mother especially in their position.

Last edited:
Leonor is 12 years old but despite being a girl she also has her dignity and her personal freedom. his personal space ... and is being invaded tremendously by his hoarding grandmother. It is tremendous to assume this for a 12-year-old girl, and I do not like to see my princess suffer, future queen.
They will love their grandmother without a doubt, but in private it would be much better to be affectionate, not every time there is a camera in front of them.
You only have to see Leonor's face in the posed with her parents and with the exits with the grandmother holding her hand all the time (she did not even allow us to have a picture of the royal family, the four of them) Leonor was happy and safe responding to journalists at the press conference, but very contained and educated because she is aware of her role already. It is not insecurity but EDUCATION. And responsibility She wants to do everything well, because she is just like her father, according to the whole world: responsible and serene. When she was clinging to her grandmother, she did not look happy, although she tried and managed to separate herself a little and smile at the photographers. She is almost 13 years old and should not be treated like a rag doll, nor invade her space ... If she wants to shake hands with her father, mother or grandparents ... spontaneously, it's okay, but do not force a child to do something like that.
Any psychologist will be

And I think that Leonor and Sofia are not only super well educated, but they are fully aware and responsible for their roles, ... maybe because in Spain being a king is much more serious than in other countries and your attitude and your training matter a lot. your education ... and that is why when you are in front of the media you do not play being models or anything else. A princess and an infanta of Spain should behave like this: with responsibility from small, but at the right time.
Leonor is the excuse of the queen emeritus to remain the center in some way, since she lost everything. She is no longer queen, her grandchildren do not let her manipulate them, and her husband is always far away. Your son is king and now there is another queen. What's left for Sofia? The piety of the Spaniards, we always show to the elderly and hypocritically solidarity with those who have been unhappy.
Sofia is seen as unfortunate and society forgives her for it, when they used to insult her. That's how we are hypocrites.
I feel that it is my answer so extensive, but I did not want you to think that I did not want to answer you. It's just hard for me to do it in English.

I agree with your position that the girls are not insecure but dignified and already are aware of their responsibility. In English the word education tends to be thought of as learning in school. But if the meaning is more like the French meaning of the word, it means how you are brought up, in all aspects of your life. For example, manners, taste, culture, posture, deportment with everyone. Thank you for your opinions as a Spaniard

I don't how you can back up the boldfaced statement with factual evidence, especially given the numerous scandals involving the Spanish RF lately.

My sincere apologies, but why should my queen Letizia be popular abroad? It is enough that it is loved in Spain and my theory that it is the foreigners who most "hate" our queen, has a lot of base.
PS: "Hate" is obviously a joke.
Sorry for my bad English

Sofia was simply the "Greek" or "Sofea" .. ugly means ugly.
Sofia always looked very cold and distant, unattractive, the Spaniards always knew that King JC had lovers and that she endured everything for ambition.
Who can admire such a person? But then, Felipe did not marry a princess who admitted lovers of her husband ... and the Spaniards suffered a strong shock with the change of roles. For the first time she was a Spanish queen for a long time, young, beautiful, divorced (this was not a problem), professional, a strong woman (accustomed to a weak woman of permissive character)

i am surprised by your statement because if there is anything letizia is known for is because of being cold and distant. strong she definitely is - so much so that this along with her capriciousness arises frequently in criticism towards her. letizia is by no means loved at home. the criticism towards her is all over the press, particularly when events such as those that happened at easter take place.

regarding your comment on 'people loving letizia and hating sofia', all i have to refer to is the massive support sofia got when letizia did what she did during the easter mass scene.

as the spouse to the head of state, the supporting role that sofia takes is a welcome one by the spanish people. you say sofia 'she endured everything for ambition' - sofia was raised by royalty and with full understanding of what it is like to be the spouse of a royal. this royal upbringing is what made sofia stay despite the lovers and despite the crises. she could well have divorced and she would have had taken a handsome sum of money with her with the added benefit of not having to carry out any public duties and being able to get away from the watchful eye of the media. she chose to stay and support her husband. if that is not sacrifice to one's country, then i do not know what is.

I would say to the Casa Real: OK, we got the message, but don't overdo it, or else it will start looking over the top and fake.

Last edited:
Leonor doesn't seem to be enjoying herself. Probably she is annoyed by another press covered outing. Sofía seems to be a bit more open to this type of activities.

I would say to the Casa Real: OK, we got the message, but don't overdo it, or else it will start looking over the top and fake.

:D on the way to the cameras: Felipe caught between a rock and a hard place
https://ssl.c.photoshelter.com/img-...000x750/g=G0000SaZ5eD0MzjM/FR-DI1439-0015.jpg

cameras rolling:
http://e00-elmundo.uecdn.es/assets/multimedia/imagenes/2018/08/03/15333288814947.jpg

focus on the girls
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...fia-branded-beautiful-young-royals-world.html

:previous: Especially Sofia's smile looks fake. Letizia's could pass on for genuine on the looks of it.

The spanish press is winning a lot of money with Letizia, she is their gold chicken egg, and the people of Spain (not everybody of course) is brainwashed by all that press who only seek the negative, for them the well-known people cannot do the things perfect they must to be imperfect because the perfect doesn't sell magazines, this is Letizia's case, it doesn't matter how perfect she is doing her work, they are always trying to find every little mistake and they turn them in something really big, for example Palma's incident, I think the big problem was not the supposed dispute with Queen Sofía, the BIG problem was Letizia was on her back to them so bye bye possible-interesting-and-sellable-pics, (maybe they've felt really insulted :whistling:) and had to wait until the official photoshot outside when was the moment to take the pics, revenge is a dish best served cold, or in this case revenge is a zoomed and confusing video who an autonomic and independentist tv uploaded to twitter, I think the real objetive was not Letizia but Felipe, they used her to harm him.

I agree with your position that the girls are not insecure but dignified and already are aware of their responsibility. In English the word education tends to be thought of as learning in school. But if the meaning is more like the French meaning of the word, it means how you are brought up, in all aspects of your life. For example, manners, taste, culture, posture, deportment with everyone. Thank you for your opinions as a Spaniard

You are very kind and you have expressed it very well. Millions of thanks.

Letizia managing her girls all the time almost anytime they are seen in public. It must not be easy for the girls to have such a control freak as a mother especially in their position.

Who told you that Queen Letizia is controlling? I only see in the photos, a very suffocating person: his grandmother.
Spanish culture is very "tactile" ... Parents play a lot with their children, and that is emotionally great for children ... you can ask a psychologist if you do not believe it.
I love that. A gentle touch, a hug, a hand for a moment in your head .. that gives security and love, warmth to your children.

I don't how you can back up the boldfaced statement with factual evidence, especially given the numerous scandals involving the Spanish RF lately.

I can tell you about numerous properties that other monarchs have ... or royal families that benefit from favors from businessmen or businesses that they do without seeming corruption.
In Spain, that is UNADMISSIBLE. Apart from the Head of State, the king is the Captain General of the army, and his role, although constitutional, has much greater weight than in any other parliamentary monarchy. It's obvious.
Precisely because of these scandals, that perhaps in other monarchies would not have been considered scandals, Juan Carlos had to abdicate. Do not you know that the king is Felipe VI and that he never gave a scandal?
It was very funny to see how the king's hunt turned into a scandal ... when all the royal families participate in this kind of affairs. If I remember correctly Harry and Meghan made a trip for a safari, come to Spain, to the estate of the Duke of Wellington for hunting ... etc ... The Danish royal family and their annual hunting of cubs ... The lovers ... if it were for lovers, there would not be a single king.
The problem has been a rude daughter, like Cristina and a son-in-law delinquent in jail ... but it is in unpredictable and can happen to any family

i am surprised by your statement because if there is anything letizia is known for is because of being cold and distant. strong she definitely is - so much so that this along with her capriciousness arises frequently in criticism towards her.......

We are in a circle debate
All that I have already explained, so, as usual, think what you want.
regards

I agree with the Daily Mail; the girls are beautiful princesses. For me, as a Spaniard, the most beautiful princesses in the world.
The journalists begin to play their game well in advance, knowing that these two beauties, Leonor and Sofia, will give many covers and news ... but I just think they could wait a bit, at least until they are teenagers. They are very responsible, but they need to live a little more outside the focus of the cameras; especially Leonor who is condemned to live with a camera attached to her.

Who told you that Queen Letizia is controlling? I only see in the photos, a very suffocating person: his grandmother.
Spanish culture is very "tactile" ... Parents play a lot with their children, and that is emotionally great for children ... you can ask a psychologist if you do not believe it.
I love that. A gentle touch, a hug, a hand for a moment in your head .. that gives security and love, warmth to your children.
Nobody has to tell me, I can observe for myself. It has been very obvious for years. The videos that were released for Felipe's birthday were a prime example of that. The girls were so afraid of doing anything wrong; Letizia's body language speaks for itself. Sofía at times tries to break free a little; Leonor is very (probably too) submissive and I hope that she will develop herself in the years to come (I do think it is great that the two of them went on summer camp!).

No need to ask a psychologist to know whether touch is great; for sure it is but it has to be age-appropriate and at the right moment. Touching a 12-year old's mouth/cheeks on both sides in front of a lot of cameras is showing that you think of her as a little child while she showed that she was able to speak up for herself. Moreover, there is a big difference between an assuring touch (as in the example above by Felipe) versus a controlling touch - unfortunately the latter has been the pattern by Letizia as is easy to observe based on previous outings. I also would like to see grandmother Sofia letting go a little more now the girls are growing older; however, I don't see it happening any time soon (Felipe should be the one to talk about it with his mother).

I must say that I didn't notice Spanish culture to be that more tactile than other cultures even though I lived in Spain for a while (and in other countries, including a Latin-American country - that imo was more tactile; though less playful than most European countries). So, I am not sure to which other countries you are comparing Spain and where you got the mistaken impression that non-Spanish parents don't play (which btw is not the same as being tactile) that much with their children.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for all the postings, the girls are so beautiful.
It bothers me to always see Sofia with her "perfect" smile whenever she is on display, I wish she didn't feel the need to perform all the time. I also do not like how Queen Sofia is always holding onto Leonor with such a death grip, I don't know any other 12 year old who wants to be hung onto all the time.

It was nice to see the photos of the family at the Copa del Rey today - more natural and less forced than usual (I often think, like others have mentioned, that it's Sofia who is the most keen on forcing smiles, as I have a feeling that she is still clinging on to her "doting grandmother" reputation).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom