The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-09-2019, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Son Marroig looks gorgeous! The linguistics-nerd side of me can't help but notice that Marroig doesn't sound like a very Spanish name, unless it's a Catalan name it sounds more Scottish Gaelic if anything. It'd be interesting to know about the history of the place (all I could find was that it was the residence of an Austrian Archduke in the mid-Victorian period).
Leonor and Sofia look gorgeous, too Felipe is like fine wine - he gets better as he ages!

As per this article the estate was previously known as the Foradada dels Masroig and was owned by Gabriel Masroig de la Foradada in the 17th century it could be a variation of his name?

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/son-marroig/

August 25th, 1270 -Death of King Louis IX of France
Old 08-09-2019, 12:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Former King Juan Carlos of Spain and his daughter, Princess Elena, have enjoyed Finland and its cool climate.
The higher the status, the more relaxed and comfortable the person is.
This is at least the case with the Spanish royals, who have delighted in Hanko with their natural behavior.
King Juan Carlos and his daughter Princess Elena have been enjoying the whole week in Hanko and its maritime atmosphere.
The Emeritus King, 81, has participated in the 6mR Classic Boat World Championship with his crew.
The King, who has won several World Championship and European Championship titles with his crew on his Bribon Gallant boat, arrived early Thursday with other competitors in the Eastern Port of Hanko. There was no wind at sea and the race was interrupted.
As the boat came into the harbor on the pier, his daughter, Princess Elena, was waiting with a SLR camera.
- I'm cheering for my father and capture his competitions with my camera always when it is possible, relaxed and friendly Elena said Ilta-Sanomat.
During a nice chat, the princess revealed that she had had time to visit Helsinki and Turku with her friends. She was happy to be able to walk unidentified in the streets.
- Beautiful cities, the right size. There are nice people in Finland, the princess, who visits Finland for the first time, admired.
Ossi Paija, chairman of the Finnish 6mR Alliance, said that the presence of king Juan Carlos has increased interest and enthusiasts to the sport.
The royal family has a magnificent Marivent summer palace in Mallorca, but the princess said her children were vacationing in the mainland in southern Spain.
- My mother (Queen Sofia) is in Mallorca and I think my brother (King Felipe) is currently staying there with his family, Elena said.
Sailing is in the royal blood of spanish royals. Juan Carlos, a former naval school student, has even participated in the Olympics and his son has also sailed for the Olympics.
Now, however, they were in Hanko, and before the race was interrupted due to a lack of wind, Juan Carlos' crew was clearly in the lead.
After arriving at the port, Juan Carlos chatted with his crew for quite some time and went through the day's events. Juan Carlos had also some time to talk with Ilta-Sanomat.
- Finland has fresh and wonderful air, not too hot at all. We in Spain have an unbearable heat, Juan Carlos said, shaking his head.
The calm and informal Juan Carlos, however, regretted the interruption.
In Finland, the royal gentleman is accompanied by as many as 20 people and everyone's flight had to be delayed. However, Princess Elena said it wouldn't hurt them - it's so beautiful in Finland.
- The day went fine, but it was a shame that there was no wind, said the king who stayed at a private accommodation in Hanko and gave a kiss on the hand.
King Juan Carlos and his crew won the world championship again.
After sitting for a while in his boat, the king went to the minivan waiting for him. On the way there he stopped and talked kindly with the members of the crews of the other boats as well as with ordinary people.
And what was most exhilarating to the Finnish republicans, the king was happy to pose at the photos.
In 2020, the 6mR European Championships will be in Spain, as will the 2021 World Cup.
Espanjan ex-kuningas Juan Carlos kilpaili Hangossa – ihastui ikihyviksi suomalaisen kesän erikoispiirteeseen - Kuninkaalliset - Ilta-Sanomat

From Twitter of Rita Tainola, the journalist who wrote the article
https://twitter.com/RitaTainola/stat...91600806776832

From Twitter of Tiina Jortikka, ambassador of Finland to Madrid
https://twitter.com/TiinaJortikka/st...69848685596672

Old 08-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like the photos at Son Marroig more than the official photo call at Marivent. Everyone looks relaxed and happy and it seems like it was a gorgeous Spanish summer day.

Pardon my ignorance but how was it known the family was at Son Marroig? Do the press stake out Marivent and follow the family wherever they go? Or are they called and informed.
I hope they will be able to leave Spain soon and disappear to somewhere remote and unknown to the press to fully relax and unwind.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:34 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
As per this article the estate was previously known as the Foradada dels Masroig and was owned by Gabriel Masroig de la Foradada in the 17th century it could be a variation of his name?

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/son-marroig/
Interesting - thank you An Ard Ri. I think you might be right, or at least this seems like the closest we'll come to knowing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelarn View Post
Marroig doesn't sound Spanish-Spanish at all. Maybe it's Mallorquin. The endings in g, are not typical of Castilian.

Interesting - I haven't been to Mallorca for a few years so I can't remember what Mallorquin looked like, even though I probably saw some roadsigns/street signs.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-09-2019, 10:49 PM
Majesty

That is an surprising idea but it actually makes sense. Spain has no immediate history of a female Regnant so having a sister and friend she could share with who has a greater knowledge than your average person.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Aristocracy

Actually we had Isabel II as the last queen in her own right but before her mother, Maria Cristina de Borbón-Dos Sicilias was regent "the governor queen", then her own daughter Isabel, and later the wife of her son María Cristina de Habsburg -Lorena, "the regent queen" with a very long regency since Alfonso XIII was born after the death of King Alfonso XII ... Of all, only the latter and Isabel the Catholic are renewed as good in their position. We really had three generations of queens on the throne, by right or as regents
Old 08-10-2019, 03:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunking View Post
The parents are doing such a great job raising the girls. I think Sofia should be educated just like Leonor because she is the spare then she wouldn't left out and feel less than. Then the girls could discuss the current events and other issues. They are a lovely family.
At some point, their functions will have to be separated, but it will be at the time that Sofia understands her supporting role to Leonor.
For now it is good that the girls go together everywhere. They will go to the Princess of Asturias awards, ... and if I remember correctly, Felipe's sisters never went.
At a certain moment, Leonor will begin to have activities of the heir and Sofia will have others. It is unavoidable.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Leonor and Infanta Sofia will continue for a while to appear together in official acts. But within a few years Leonor will assume his duties as crown heiress and Sofia will also have other functions in the royal house. I think Leonor and Sofia are being well prepared for their different roles, but at the moment it makes sense that they appear together in official acts.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

King Juan Carlos in Hanko ,Finland a very different climate to that of Spain.

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_es...ana-finlandia/

Translation

https://translate.google.com/transla...a-finlandia%2F

Old 08-10-2019, 09:28 PM
Aristocracy

This is what was behind the "apparent peace" of the final inn .... The place is quite remote, so it is difficult to imagine how many photographers and cameras "the royal family" supports each time they leave or pose for the press.
The girls behave so well, that it is admirable with so much fuss.
Sorry if you can't put the direct YouTube link, but I don't know how to do it any other way
Old 08-10-2019, 09:59 PM
Serene Highness

This is so beautiful. Thanks for the clip. As to Leonor and Sofia, everything will unfold at the right time. Leonor will obviously have a much bigger role but I like how the Spanish RF are handling everything.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Princess Leonor and Infanta Sofia will continue for a while to appear together in official acts. But within a few years Leonor will assume his duties as crown heiress and Sofia will also have other functions in the royal house. I think Leonor and Sofia are being well prepared for their different roles, but at the moment it makes sense that they appear together in official acts.
The problem is that at some point Sofia will have no role in the royal house, and nobody knows when this point will come (Felipe's death or abdication).
Therefore Sofia will have to do royal work until she is part of the royal family and stop and make her own living when she ceases to be, like Elena.
Keeping in mind that her choice of profession is limited by guidelines of the royal house, it will be difficult to find something that not only fits the regulatory but also interests her.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Juan Carlos at the prize giving ceremony
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...52ca0663_o.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...56618fa2_o.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...cfd210f8_o.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...91d745e2_b.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1a33356c_b.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...fea1703c_b.jpg

The finnish press tells, that king Juan Carlos and princess Elena went also shopping to local grocery store Lidl in Hanko.
Hämmästyksen huokaus Hangon Lidlissä – Espanjan ex-kuningas Juan Carlos pätkähti muina miehinä ruokakaupan asiakkaaksi! _ Seiska

On the pier, commodore Kalle Niemi met king Juan Carlos and his crew to present a gift. He handed the Hanko Sailing Association's standard to the former king, so that he would have a memory of the World Championships in Hanko.
- He received it and said he should keep the memory close to his heart, Niemi says.
Juan Carlos I rörd över gåva av HSF
Old 08-11-2019, 02:30 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
The problem is that at some point Sofia will have no role in the royal house, and nobody knows when this point will come (Felipe's death or abdication).
Therefore Sofia will have to do royal work until she is part of the royal family and stop and make her own living when she ceases to be, like Elena.
Keeping in mind that her choice of profession is limited by guidelines of the royal house, it will be difficult to find something that not only fits the regulatory but also interests her.
Indeed, you have a point. But I think it's too early to even think about these things. It's hard to predict.

We don't know she might marry a foreigner and live outside Spain. There's a lot of things that can happen. She has plenty of choices compared to Leonor and I think the King and Queen did not fail to prepare them in their future roles.

Actually, I give the King and Queen a thumbs up for doing things right for the children.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Svensk Damtidning has noticed Letizia's personal way of shaking hands.
Hur hälsar Letizia egentligen_ _ Svensk Damtidning
Old 08-11-2019, 06:47 AM
Serene Highness

I believe princess Beatrix shakes hands in a similar way. Just using the fingers. Saves her hands from being continually crushed by people with crushing handshakes.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

And queen Elizabeth II and other British royals use gloves which are a perfectly sensible and more regal choice,though I'd imagine its far too hot in Mallorca for evening gloves.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

- After the photocall last Thursday, it seems that Letizia left Mallorca with the girls
- Felipe stayed on, possibly until Sunday, on Saturday he had dinner with his friend Jaume Anglada and was caught by a photographer who was prevented from taking pictures
- The emeritus King, Juan Carlos, supposedly arrived on Sunday in Palma.

https://www.revistavanityfair.es/rea...mallorca/39915
translation
https://translate.google.de/translat...llorca%2F39915
Old 08-14-2019, 03:15 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
- After the photocall last Thursday, it seems that Letizia left Mallorca with the girls
- Felipe stayed on, possibly until Sunday, on Saturday he had dinner with his friend Jaume Anglada and was caught by a photographer who was prevented from taking pictures
- The emeritus King, Juan Carlos, supposedly arrived on Sunday in Palma.

https://www.revistavanityfair.es/rea...mallorca/39915
translation
https://translate.google.de/translat...llorca%2F39915

Speculation is not allowed here but looking at the pictures of the stay in Mallorca I had the feeling that there is something wrong between the king and the queen. They always tried to have the girls between them, didn´t really interact and the king was always far away form her if possible. And I thought he looked kind of irritated.

I felt sorry for Letizia as she tried to always keep maintain the appearance that everythin is well but she was "so alone".
Old 08-14-2019, 03:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

After 8 days with the opportunity to take lots of photos in various places and situations ... there are photographers who do not have enough... it is not strange that Mallorca is increasingly more affixing for them.

King Felipe has done the same thing he has done on other occasions. He and Princess Leonor cannot fly on the same plane, for that reason Queen Letizia and the girls travel on regular flights, from Palma to Madrid, and from there to the holiday destination they have chosen. Once they have reached the destination, the King travels there on the official plane.

On the other hand, it is clear that Felipe will not be able to move much of Spain this year because of the formation of the government. He will probably be on vacation this week (for what they have done on other occasions in a Mediterranean destination a few hours by plane from Madrid) that all politicians are on vacation and next week he will have to return to Madrid, while Letizia and the girls who still have two weeks of school vacations can make other plans.