Spanish Royal Family Summer Holidays 2017 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spanish Royal Family Summer Holidays 2017 - 2019

Concerning the absence I am reluctant to admit that Doña Elena’s previous line in succession is being quietly dropped in favour of the national optics of “us four together” not unlike the precarious situation during the abdication crisis of 1936 in GB when the King abdicated going forward in favour of a rather under prepared prince with a family of four. Poor Froilán who could have been a possible King before if the change in succession law had not been made earlier. Not that Felipe was ever unprepared, quite the opposite dios gracias x

Last edited:
The Infanta Doña Elena, Duchess of Lugo is still 3rd in line to the throne after Leonor and Sofia :previous:

I wasn't aware of any changes to Line of succession to the Spanish throne.

Spanish Royal Family Summer Holidays 2017 - 2019

The Infanta Doña Elena, Duchess of Lugo is still 3rd in line to the throne after Leonor and Sofia :previous:

I wasn't aware of any changes to Line of succession to the Spanish throne.

Sorry I meant very wishful proposed change to succession law that historically might have allowed doña Elena ascend the throne being the eldest child with very different consequences for her offspring and Felipe.

Last edited:
Sorry I meant very wishful proposed change to succession law that historically might have allowed doña Elena ascend the throne being the eldest child with very different consequences for her offspring and Felipe.

No worries though though the thoughts of Don Felipe Juan Froilán de Marichalar as a future king is rather scary ;)

No worries though though the thoughts of Don Felipe Juan Froilán de Marichalar as a future king is rather scary ;)

Now that would be an interesting discussion worthy of a new thread on doña Elena and her heirs. Not to be +Dios+Gracias+

Maybe Sofia wants as many outings as possible with her grandchildren :whistling:

I think the dynamics can already be seen when looking at the girls, Leonor trying to please everyone and everything, not making a wrong move while Sofia is much more relaxed even a bit bored with the whole circus, because she knows she can afford it, long term.
While the girls have been doing everything together for many years despite the age gap, their paths will divert as soon as Leonor finishes school 2 years ahead of Sofia, with a different education.

Well, yes, she can have as many outings as possible but still to have the grandchildren separately seems a bit odd to me :whistling:
I can understand that she wants to spend time with each and every one of her grandchildren and get to know them because she seems to be caring in that way; but these separate outings look rather "forced/staged" to me and certainly don't help with the image that the SRF are cold towards one another IMO - particularly after Palma-gate. One would've thought Sofia would make every effort to get all her grandchildren involved together and have a big, happy family outing after that happened.
I'll still stand by my opinion that Felipe's side of the family and his Urdangarin and de Maricharlar cousins don't get on terribly well (of course I'm just basing this on photos and anecdotes from the media - which may well be fabricated to fit that picture - rather than cold stone facts) unless I see anything that makes me change it for the better.

Leonor looks rather insecure in some pictures. I truly hope she will gain some self-confidence over the years because she'll need it.

Leonor looks rather insecure in some pictures. I truly hope she will gain some self-confidence over the years because she'll need it.

Insecure? I see her in every act very safe and very willing to do her job. Another thing is that he is uncomfortable because his grandmother has done it again: he grabbed her hand as if she were a baby and kidnapped Sofí. He walked in front of the real queen and ignored her, and so he looked for the photographers to take the picture with the girls ... AGAIN.
This is reaching an unbearable limit for girls and for Queen Letizia. The emeritus does not let her be a mother ... nor queen. She has not known how to be out of the picture and has to be attached to her son and her son's family when she is no longer queen.
How is Leonor not going to be uncomfortable? It is what takes her out of her comfort zone because with her age she does not have to turn her back on her mother, who is the queen and shake hands with the grandmother's super intruder.
Letizia, what patience you have. You're still in time to fly out of that crazy house
Why isn't the emeritus with her husband in Finland and leaves Felipe alone? Throughout the year they live five minutes from home ..:bang::bang::bang:

Well, yes, she can have as many outings as possible but still to have the grandchildren separately seems a bit odd to me :whistling:
I can understand that she wants to spend time with each and every one of her grandchildren and get to know them because she seems to be caring in that way; but these separate outings look rather "forced/staged" to me and certainly don't help with the image that the SRF are cold towards one another IMO - particularly after Palma-gate. One would've thought Sofia would make every effort to get all her grandchildren involved together and have a big, happy family outing after that happened.
I'll still stand by my opinion that Felipe's side of the family and his Urdangarin and de Maricharlar cousins don't get on terribly well (of course I'm just basing this on photos and anecdotes from the media - which may well be fabricated to fit that picture - rather than cold stone facts) unless I see anything that makes me change it for the better.

When she des something with Leonor and Sofia Queen Letizia is always with them, unlike with her other grandchldren.

I found it really strange that they could not go all together to the Cinema as it was only one evening before but my guess is that it is not wanted that the Infantas are going together with the other granddaughters.

Last edited:
Indeed, these strange family dynamics can be seen in more than one way, it is strange that Sofia is never seen alone with the girls (unlike with other grandchildren) - is she not allowed as Letizia insists of tagging along and overdoes it then with hand holding etc?

Then, Sofia being the most popular member of the SRF and linked to Mallorca for many decades, is needed to promote the 'happy SRF family' that not many believe anyway. The King does something sporty, but Letizia clearly does not like to be around therefore Sofia is a key factor for the press that cannot be left out for image reasons, as yet.

Does Letizia not want her daughters alone with other grandchildren or is it the tactic of Queen Sofia?

The result is fake photos, an insecure Leonor indeed - Sofia jr. is much more cool about it - and two adult women who try to make the public forget that they cannot stand each other.

Generally Sofia Jr. does not have so much attention from the grandmother, she wants the heiress for the photos.

The granddaughters did not go to the movies together because they were not on the island at the same time. The week that all coincided was the week of the regatta... Since Elena's divorce and custody issues, and Iñaki's scandal, the children of the infantas usually go the last week of July. But now four of them are of legal age, and prefer to make their own plans to go with the grandmother. Also this week there is too much pressure from the press in Palma and they cannot do what they want. Victoria's visit to Palma was very fast, probably a couple of days to see her cousin, because she was before vacationing in Greece with her friends and then left to party to Marbella.

Felipe and Letizia usually work throughout the month of July, and for many years, first in Spain and later in the United States, girls go to a summer camp in July... They have always kept the same agenda, and they are still in Palma the week the family always met, while others change plans every year at their convenience.

Nor is it strange, we are seeing how in most of the Royal Houses, the large family reunions are disappearing ... this year neither the Danish nor the Belgians have made real summer photo sessions.

The most interested in maintaining Palma, the one that enjoys the palace the most is Sofia ... and she continues with her particular show, she loves to have the attention and praise of the press, if it is not with the family she is attending events and notifying the press. This year we haven't seen Elena or sister Irene or cousin Tatiana yet, so maybe Sofia is alone in Marivent, and sticks to Letizia and the girls.

The granddaughters did not go to the movies together because they were not on the island at the same time. The week that all coincided was the week of the regatta... Since Elena's divorce and custody issues, and Iñaki's scandal, the children of the infantas usually go the last week of July. But now four of them are of legal age, and prefer to make their own plans to go with the grandmother. Also this week there is too much pressure from the press in Palma and they cannot do what they want. Victoria's visit to Palma was very fast, probably a couple of days to see her cousin, because she was before vacationing in Greece with her friends and then left to party to Marbella.

Is seems very odd, that Irene, who is a few months older than Leonor, would leave the island exactly the day her age group cousins arrive.
Ok, she'll spend time with her grandmother but Victoria is a young woman now, she and Irene have little to talk about and not too much in common in comparison with Leonor and Sofia, I guess.
But maybe because the parents don't get along, the cousins are not encouraged/won't plan accordingly to see each other, here we go.

Generally Sofia Jr. does not have so much attention from the grandmother, she wants the heiress for the photos.

Thats quite nasty ,I think its horrible to suggest that queen Sofia prefers Leonor over the rest of her grandchildren and we've hit an all time low seeing as we do not know any of them personally.

Are they going to have the official photo session tomorrow?

This family feud...I couldn't care less to be honest. Of course, it's obvious that we can see some tensions amongst them, and because of that, who suffer are Leonor and Sofia because they won't be able to be with their cousins. But, let's be fair, this doesn't happen just because they're royals. Nobody has a perfect family. In my case, my paternal grandmother forgets that I even exist...and my aunt and I aren't exactly friends, therefore, I don't see my cousin because I don't go along with my aunt...it's simply as that...life.

Last edited:
The Emeritus Queen is usually more clingy with Leonor (hand holding) but the pictures show that she's hugging Sofia jr. as well.
But in terms of clingy, the girls are used to it, since their mother is usually all over them herself. That was the case in the Palma incident too, the mother fiddling with Leonor's hair from the front, the grandmother hugging her from the back. No surprise it got too much for the girl.

Yes not all families are close. There are always people who can't have a good relationship. And no family is perfect, not even royal families.
I think Queen Sofia wants to be with her granddaughters, so when an occasion arises to be with them, she doesn't let go.

Will we have the official photo shoot this year?

it has been widely reported that leonor was the most shy of the 2 girls, and that sofia is the opposite: quite outspoken and extrovert.

When she des something with Leonor and Sofia Queen Letizia is always with them, unlike with her other grandchldren.

I found it really strange that they could not go all together to the Cinema as it was only one evening before but my guess is that it is not wanted that the Infantas are going together with the other granddaughters.

Yes, exactly. I think Queen Sofia, whilst she does seem to be genuinely doting to all her grandchildren, wants to keep up her "the nation's grandmother" image, especially if she's with the Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofia, since they are more "significant" as far as the line of succession is concerned than their Urdangarin and de Maricharlar cousins.

Yes, exactly. I think Queen Sofia, whilst she does seem to be genuinely doting to all her grandchildren, wants to keep up her "the nation's grandmother" image, especially if she's with the Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofia, since they are more "significant" as far as the line of succession is concerned than their Urdangarin and de Maricharlar cousins.

Could be but imo other things are at play: over the years we have seen queen Sofia with her other grandchildren many times. So, I don't share your feeling that she dotes 'more' on Leonor and Sofía than on the others. The time she spent with Elena and Cristina's children all looked like much more spontaneous and enjoyable outings - sometimes with a parent included sometimes without; this in contrast to outings with her youngest two grandchildren that seem far more staged and controlled (by their mother).

More recently, we don't see her as often with her older grandchildren as they are young adults or older adolescents. So, the fact that 18-year old Victoria still went to the cinema with her grandmother and younger cousin to me shows that she still has a very good relationship with her grandmother - and all seemed more 'natural'.

Could be but imo other things are at play: over the years we have seen queen Sofia with her other grandchildren many times. So, I don't share your feeling that she dotes 'more' on Leonor and Sofía than on the others. The time she spent with Elena and Cristina's children all looked like much more spontaneous and enjoyable outings - sometimes with a parent included sometimes without; this in contrast to outings with her youngest two grandchildren that seem far more staged and controlled (by their mother).

More recently, we don't see her as often with her older grandchildren as they are young adults or older adolescents. So, the fact that 18-year old Victoria still went to the cinema with her grandmother and younger cousin to me shows that she still has a very good relationship with her grandmother - and all seemed more 'natural'.

Oh, I didn’t mean that she favours Leonor and Sofia in general, I just meant that perhaps in some circumstances she likes to be seen being a doting grandmother towards them given the fact that they are the heir and the spare in terms of succession, so the media will focus more on them. I’m aware that Sofia has a good relationship with her other grandchildren and didn’t intend to suggest otherwise. I’ve said in other posts that Sofia seems to care about all her grandchildren and wants to spend as much time with each and every one of them as she can.

Thats quite nasty ,I think its horrible to suggest that queen Sofia prefers Leonor over the rest of her grandchildren and we've hit an all time low seeing as we do not know any of them personally.

https://canal4diario.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/TIM_7535B-768x513.jpg

Well then you have to look at the photos better.
Who is holding hands, always, is Leonor
* And of course the girls are with the grandmother; They live five minutes from each other. The strange thing would be that the mother was not with her daughters on a vacation unless the world had gone mad.
I have not seen Queen Margarita on the beach alone with her grandchildren, nor Queen Elizabeth with the grandchildren on the island wherever the Cambrigde or Sicily summer ... or I have not seen Queen Silvia alone with Estelle vacation...
Nor have I seen former Queen Paola forward to Queen Mathilde when they go together and use her position as queen ... but Sofia believes that she is still queen and is only an honorary title so that the poor woman does not kick.

The Emeritus Queen is usually more clingy with Leonor (hand holding) but the pictures show that she's hugging Sofia jr. as well.
But in terms of clingy, the girls are used to it, since their mother is usually all over them herself. That was the case in the Palma incident too, the mother fiddling with Leonor's hair from the front, the grandmother hugging her from the back. No surprise it got too much for the girl.
Are you comparing a mother's right to be affectionate with that of a grandmother? This is impressive.
A mother educates and does how and when she wants. If my mother-in-law tried to get into that, all ties would be cut.
The "incident" of Palma, was not even Queen Letizia near her daughter, and in addition, a father has the right to show affection whenever he pleases. Or is the world upside down?
In the end it is Queen Letizia who is to blame for all the evils of the universe hahahaha

Yes not all families are close. There are always people who can't have a good relationship. And no family is perfect, not even royal families.
I think Queen Sofia wants to be with her granddaughters, so when an occasion arises to be with them, she doesn't let go.

Will we have the official photo shoot this year?

Tomorrow in Marivent.. King, Queen and their daughters...I hope

The true queen excluded and punished on one side and the honorary queen as if she were still queen in the central position, having her granddaughters well seized ... in case they escape.
This is incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well then you have to look at the photos better.
Who is holding hands, always, is Leonor
* And of course the girls are with the grandmother; They live five minutes from each other. The strange thing would be that the mother was not with her daughters on a vacation unless the world had gone mad.
I have not seen Queen Margarita on the beach alone with her grandchildren, nor Queen Elizabeth with the grandchildren on the island wherever the Cambrigde or Sicily summer ... or I have not seen Queen Silvia alone with Estelle vacation...
Nor have I seen former Queen Paola forward to Queen Mathilde when they go together and use her position as queen ... but Sofia believes that she is still queen and is only an honorary title so that the poor woman does not kick.

I don't read any negativity or favoritism from those photos ,but each to their own opinions.

Lets not compare queens as all those ladies are very different and I think its simply absurd to criticise the kings mother for doting on her grandkids and since when was that a crime.

Lets just be content that we see such warm images of the Spanish Royals on holidays.

The true queen excluded and punished on one side and the honorary queen as if she were still queen in the central position, having her granddaughters well seized ... in case they escape.
This is incredible.

'True Queen' are you seriously for real?

Whats really incredible is I've never encountered such amateur dramatics on the forum before :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
'True Queen' are you seriously for real?

Whats really incredible is I've never encountered such amateur dramatics on the forum before :whistling:

What is the problem? :ermm::ohmy: Saying "true queen" is correct, because the constitution of my country only allows one queen and that SM doña. Letizia ... There is no drama, only a reality.
It may be a translator's problem, but if you don't understand it, I can explain it to you better, although I think the Constitution is enough.
King Juan Carlos should have been called Count of Barcelona when he abdicated, but the ego of the former king and the former queen are so huge, they didn't want to. The government refused to be "emeritus kings" because that only leads to confusion and is worthless. It's like they give you an honorary chair at a university ... that doesn't mean you're a doctor, right? But Felipe won and gave that title of honor ...

What is the problem? :ermm::ohmy: Saying "true queen" is correct, because the constitution of my country only allows one queen and that SM doña. Letizia ... There is no drama, only a reality.
It may be a translator's problem, but if you don't understand it, I can explain it to you better, although I think the Constitution is enough.
King Juan Carlos should have been called Count of Barcelona when he abdicated, but the ego of the former king and the former queen are so huge, they didn't want to. The government refused to be "emeritus kings" because that only leads to confusion and is worthless. It's like they give you an honorary chair at a university ... that doesn't mean you're a doctor, right? But Felipe won and gave that title of honor ...

Queen Consort I think is Letizia's title no need for anything further from you,thank you.

:previous:I agree with your interpretation of events and note that the two posters from Spain are the ones who hold these views

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom