Spanish Royal Easter Vacations (2007-2014)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A couple of days ago I saw someone wrote on the vogue forum that she saw the Princes, girls and Letizia's mom on a flight from Madrid to Rome, I guess Paloma B got her so called story from the post. I'm not sure if the internet story is trustworthy or not, since there were too many invalid stories before.
If the Easter Sunday Mass isn't cancelled, the Princes and the girls will be there.

Last edited:
it cant be true (only if they went just for a couple of days)
im sure they will attend Easter, because they will also be in spain im sure, because on monday 25th to 27th, its the state visit from Quatar, and as the royal website mentions, Felipe and Letizia will be present at this state visit

Last edited:
We all know that this it is not a trustworthy source and less when they write about the Prince and the Princess. The news has enough mistakes and bad intention.

It does not say anything of the possible presence of the old Infantas, it is very improbable that they will go. Infanta Cristina has an act in Barcelona that day in the afternoon, and the children begin the school on monday.

Mmmmh, is El Pais a better source? They are speculating too that the Princes wont be there this year, Letizia is supposed to have said that "traditions are there to be broken".
Palma se queda sin príncipes · ELPAÍS.com
Google Translate

I personally find it hard to believe that the Kings will attend the mass on their own, standing there like lemons with disappointed photographers as the protagonists are missing.

but arent they only going to rome on the 1st because of the pope?:ermm:
it would have made sense if they wanted to go to rome really early to spend the easter vacations there until the 1st, but on monday (according to the Spanish royal site) they need to be in Spain for the visit of the Emir of Quatar and on friday in London for W&K wedding.
if they really are in Rome, then they will come back and then they will go there again for the 2nd time. its a bit weird to me though

Duke, Let's wait to see if the Kings will attend the Sunday Mass in Mallorca, so far Sofia is the only one who has shown up in Mallorca during the Easter break. After JC didn't Receive Communion when Pope Benedict visted Spain, then he sent Felipe for the beatification of the late Pope John Paul II, I wouldn't be surprised if he cancels the Easter Mass in Mallorca this year.

if they really are in Rome, then they will come back and then they will go there again for the 2nd time. its a bit weird to me though

I doubt they went to Rome. Rome is very crowded this time of the year with tourists, not a place to have some rest with the family. If they were in Rome, likely there would be pictures with many Spanish tourists there. Lots of speculations by the yellow press didn't turn out to be right at the end.

Mmmmh, is El Pais a better source? They are speculating too that the Princes wont be there this year, Letizia is supposed to have said that "traditions are there to be broken".
Google Translate

I personally find it hard to believe that the Kings will attend the mass on their own, standing there like lemons with disappointed photographers as the protagonists are missing.

I can't see them going on their own either,but I guess we will just have to wait & see.

It would be a pity if there was no Royal presence in Palma this Easter Sunday!

Google Translate

If it is written by Mabel Galaz and in the section of people, so the credibility is relative (in Spain the serious newspapers also have a section of gossip). She has copied what other journalist has said, because she was not in the trip to Jordan. We are of vacations the journalists work little, and some copy the news of others still with fewer scruples than they do habitually.

We will wait, but if this year there is no photo it is because the House of the King wants to finish with it and I do not believe that we return to have it. But who knows, is not the first Holy Week that the press says the same and ultimately there is photo.

How would they attend the mass without a photo call since they will be greeted by the cleric outside anyway (no matter what royal attends)?
Anyway, if JC cancels his or the family attendance at the mass there will be speculations all over the place and a lot of anger, because especially Mallorca is beginning to feel very neglected by the royals as tourism advertisers since they bring along so much attention. If they turn their back now at Easter after already shortening their summer activities some people wont be happy, not only the photographers.

I doubt the Asturias family is in Rome either. They might have a place to stay with some rich friends, like in Portugal, without the public noticing but what is the point about going to Rome without proper sightseeing? In addition to that, the girls, especially Sofia jr., are far too small to enjoy a city tour holiday.

How would they attend the mass without a photo call since they will be greeted by the cleric outside anyway (no matter what royal attends)?
Anyway, if JC cancels his or the family attendance at the mass there will be speculations all over the place and a lot of anger, because especially Mallorca is beginning to feel very neglected by the royals as tourism advertisers since they bring along so much attention. If they turn their back now at Easter after already shortening their summer activities some people wont be happy, not only the photographers.

But JC & the Queen cant please everyone and I guess the people should understand their decisions for not wanting/cant attend this years mass. Probably they decide to go somewhere else or spend time with family in a low key vacation. Who ever does and doesn't attend, there will still be a photo-call just like you say DoM.

I doubt the Asturias family is in Rome either. They might have a place to stay with some rich friends, like in Portugal, without the public noticing but what is the point about going to Rome without proper sightseeing? In addition to that, the girls, especially Sofia jr., are far too small to enjoy a city tour holiday.

I agree Duke it could be seen as a 'Royal Snub' for Mallorca.I believe its a very bad idea not to go with the traditional Easter Sunday Mass & photoshoot,it could well backfire on the Palace.

How long will it take for more media rumours of a divided Royal Family to start?

Instead of showing a united front we have a Royal Family that can't even pose together for a few photographers on their way to Mass!

Mallorca already has had too much, they have done very much business thanks to the royal presence. Spain has many places where the Royal Family might spend their official vacations, go to Mallorca it was a personal decision of the King and the Queen, having other official residences (and not like Marivent provided by a regional government and not property of the State) or places that were linked to the history of the Royal Family.

For many years the Royal Family was not spending the vacations of Holy Week in Mallorca, they began at the end of the 90 and not always the whole Family was going to the mass of Sunday Easter.

Last edited:
Mallorca already has had too much, they have done very much business thanks to the royal presence. Spain has many places where the Royal Family might spend their official vacations, go to Mallorca it was a personal decision of the King and the Queen, having other official residences (and not like Marivent provided by a regional government and not property of the State) or places that were linked to the history of the Royal Family.

For many years the Royal Family was not spending the vacations of Holy Week in Mallorca, they began at the end of the 90 and not always the whole Family was going to the mass of Sunday Easter.

Prior to that where did they go Lula?

Prior to that where did they go Lula?

If there was snow sometimes to Baqueira, but, I believe that they did not have an established destination. The customs on the vacations have been changing according to the circumstances, but the press always remembers what wants.

Then it can hardly be considered a long tradition. And I agree, I see no reason why the family should help exclusively Mallorka by their presence, there are many other places in Spain.

And one more thing - I think it was a bad idea to join together vacation time and duties. Everybody should have the right to spend vacation whereever one wants. Isn`t it understandable if the Princes (the Kings might be to old to have big holiday plans) want to go to a place where nobody bothers them? To Letizia`s family or abroad or some other place?Especially during summer it`s evident that Mallorca is not the best solution for them. But they are expected to promote Mallorca instead and for some strange reason it`s not considered their good will, but their duty.

Spain has many beautiful places that the Royal family should visit as well. Mallorca is already well known. They should also promote tourism in other regions of Spain. The last time I checked, Juan Carlos' title is King of Spain and NOT King of Mallorca.

I agree Duke it could be seen as a 'Royal Snub' for Mallorca.I believe its a very bad idea not to go with the traditional Easter Sunday Mass & photoshoot,it could well backfire on the Palace.

How long will it take for more media rumours of a divided Royal Family to start?

Instead of showing a united front we have a Royal Family that can't even pose together for a few photographers on their way to Mass!

But whether they do go or not the press will start speculating, its normal for them to do so & the truth will only be knows by the family. I don't mind if Felipe, Letizia & the girls spend their holiday away from the press & tradition. I think the family can decide where and when they want to go. If they think of the press then they will never please them.

Mallorca doesn't need anymore publicity, its a knows destination. Spain is huge with many places they can enjoy their time.

Then it can hardly be considered a long tradition. And I agree, I see no reason why the family should help exclusively Mallorka by their presence, there are many other places in Spain.

And one more thing - I think it was a bad idea to join together vacation time and duties. Everybody should have the right to spend vacation whereever one wants. Isn`t it understandable if the Princes (the Kings might be to old to have big holiday plans) want to go to a place where nobody bothers them? To Letizia`s family or abroad or some other place?Especially during summer it`s evident that Mallorca is not the best solution for them. But they are expected to promote Mallorca instead and for some strange reason it`s not considered their good will, but their duty.
i agree but the traditional easter celebration in Mallorca is just for 1 day, its not like their whole holidays are distroyed. they can go on where they want and return just for Sunday easter, also they cant go more further than that, because on monday kids start school so going to easter is a good way to finish their vacations

btw, isnt the queen on mallorca? so thats a good sign that itll be a celebration!

i agree but the traditional easter celebration in Mallorca is just for 1 day, its not like their whole holidays are distroyed. they can go on where they want and return just for Sunday easter, also they cant go more further than that, because on monday kids start school so going to easter is a good way to finish their vacations

btw, isnt the queen on mallorca? so thats a good sign that itll be a celebration!

Is she still in Mallorca?

The SRF started promoting Mallorca at a time when better times were in sight for Spain, the economy picked up, housing boom etc. At the same time, the media world changed too. The help of the Kings was very welcome at the time, and it is their job to promote Spain, and Mallorca was and still is very, very important to the tourism industry. So everybody was pleased (including the SRF, enjoying some freebees sponsored by lots of companies) and therefore the arrangement became a tradition that is still in place since its not so much about vacation but also about business interests and politics.

I am not saying that the SRF should spend their holidays in Mallorca or even in Spain (they dont holiday in other places apart from Baqueira anyway) but its not that easy to break with a business-related tradition that has been in place for a long time and people got used to it and find it still useful.

Its not that Spain doesnt need any promotion or attention, its very close to follow Greece and Portugal rather than becoming a big player in Euroland.

Queen Sofía, Prince and Princess of Asturias, Infantas Leonor and Sofia and Infantas Elena and Cristina will attend Sunday Easter Mass in Palma de Mallorca. The King will not be, according to the official information, he will remain in Madrid a to prepare the visit of the Emir of Qatar.

La Reina, los Prncipes y las Infantas asistirn a la misa de Pascua en Palma - ABC.es

La Reina, los Prncipes y las Infantas Elena y Cristina asistirn a la Misa de Pascua | Baleares | elmundo.es

Thanks lula for the info on who's attending. Will Elena & Christina attend with their children?

It actually makes sense that the King wont be attending to over look the preparations since the visit is on Monday but the press might say its because Letizia is attending and he cant handle the tension between Letizia & Christina :lol: its just a matter of time till they say its a family thing & they don't get along.

i knew it!!!! nice to see that we got the chance this year to see more family members.

Thanks lula for the info on who's attending. Will Elena & Christina attend with their children?

I do not believe it, only they mention the Infantas Leonor and Sofia. The family of the Infanta Cristina is in Washington and the children begin the school the following day. Infanta Cristina has an act on Sunday afternoon in Barcelona and other official acts next week.

They do not mention the children of the Infanta Elena, so maybe these days are with their father.

The King must be happy, always appears uncomfortable in this type of photo shoots. There are too many people and too much press that often loses respect, he is not the center of attention, but everything is focused on his granddaughters. The Queen always is very happy with in these situations, but he is not.

Poor JC, not everyone likes this kind of situations and photoshoots.
despise being the King, he is not obligated to like it!:)

Queen Sofía, Prince and Princess of Asturias, Infantas Leonor and Sofia and Infantas Elena and Cristina will attend Sunday Easter Mass in Palma de Mallorca.
So once again the press was spreading malicious rumours about the family, without knowing anything :bang: Anyway, it is great that we will have the chance to see the family again.

Queen Sofía, Prince and Princess of Asturias, Infantas Leonor and Sofia and Infantas Elena and Cristina will attend Sunday Easter Mass in Palma de Mallorca. The King will not be, according to the official information, he will remain in Madrid a to prepare the visit of the Emir of Qatar.

La Reina, los Prncipes y las Infantas asistirn a la misa de Pascua en Palma - ABC.es

La Reina, los Prncipes y las Infantas Elena y Cristina asistirn a la Misa de Pascua | Baleares | elmundo.es

Thanks for the update Lula,I'm very pleased that the Infantas will be present!

Christina has on Sunday at her agenda the Final of the Barcelona Open BancSabadell - 59 º Trophy Count of Godó in Barcelona. The final starts at 16.00 hours, so she is in a hurry on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom