Spanish Royal Baptisms and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

USCtrojan

Royal Highness
City
Phoenix
Country
United States
Posted below are a few of my baptism photos from my collection of the baptism of HRH the Prince of Astrius on 8 day February 1968 in Madrid.

Attachments

• felipe.jpg
    felipe.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 990
  • felipe2.jpg
    felipe2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 674
  • felipe3.jpg
    felipe3.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 875
  • felipe4.jpg
    felipe4.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,146
  • felipe5.jpg
    felipe5.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 614
Last edited by a moderator:
HRH Don Juan-Carlos Borbon

1938 Rome

Attachments

• juan.jpg
    juan.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,067
Baptism of Heir Prince Felipe of Spain. His godmother (who was his great-grandmother former Queen Victoria Eugenia) and his grandfather Don Juan of Bourbon.

www.ibl.se

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 630
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 950
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,516
Were the Baptisms more or less of an "event" than they are today? Everyone seems more dressed up.

Good Question, that would be nice to know. I have alway wondered who his godparents were.... Thanks for the addition of the new photos...

Felipe only have two godparents ;) They were his paternal great-grandmother, Queen Victoria Eugenia and his paternal grandfather, the Count of Barcelona, Don Juan de Borbon.

Does anyone know who the godparents are of Elena, Christina en Felipe??
Are some of them other royals, like members of the Greek and Spanish RF?

Duke of Lippe-Saalfeld said:
allright that's a fantastic answer to my questions thanx Alexandria :)

but does anyone maybe know to who Queen Sofia godmother is???
Her godmother was Queen Elena of Italy, born Princess of Montenegro. She received the names of Sophia, Margareth, Victoria, Frederica.

allright thanx but does anyone know who Sophia's godchildren are? or isn't she a godmother to anyone??

And i never knew she had 4 names, always thought that orthodox princes and princesses had only 1 name...

Duke of Lippe-Saalfeld said:
allright thanx but does anyone know who Sophia's godchildren are? or isn't she a godmother to anyone??

And i never knew she had 4 names, always thought that orthodox princes and princesses had only 1 name...
I don´t know that, sorry :(. All I know is about godparents of the daughters and son of the King and Queen. Infanta Elena´s godparents were the Countess of Barcelona (mother of the King) and Infante don Alfonso de Orleans. She received the names of Elena María Isabel Dominica de Silos. Infanta Cristina´s godparents were Infanta Cristina (daughter of Alfonso XIII and Queen Victoria Eugenia) and don Alfonso de Borbón Dampierre. She received the names of Cristina Federica Victoria Antonia de la Santísima Trinidad. Price Felipe´s godparents were his grandfather don Juan de Borbón and his great grandmother Queen Victoria Eugenia (Queen Ena). He received the names of Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso de Todos los Santos.

Conde Valleverde said:
I don´t know that, sorry :(. All I know is about godparents of the daughters and son of the King and Queen. Infanta Elena´s godparents were the Countess of Barcelona (mother of the King) and Infante don Alfonso de Orleans. She received the names of Elena María Isabel Dominica de Silos. Infanta Cristina´s godparents were Infanta Cristina (daughter of Alfonso XIII and Queen Victoria Eugenia) and don Alfonso de Borbón Dampierre. She received the names of Cristina Federica Victoria Antonia de la Santísima Trinidad. Price Felipe´s godparents were his grandfather don Juan de Borbón and his great grandmother Queen Victoria Eugenia (Queen Ena). He received the names of Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso de Todos los Santos.
I didn't know that!! And does anybody know (By any chance) the godparents of the Infanta's children? I had read it somewhere but cannot seem to remember it and cannot remember where I had read it...

ILoveCristina said:
I didn't know that!! And does anybody know (By any chance) the godparents of the Infanta's children? I had read it somewhere but cannot seem to remember it and cannot remember where I had read it...

Infanta Elena
Felipe Juan Froilan: his godfather is his grandfather king Juan Carlos and his godmother is his grandmother Dña Concepcion Saenz de Tejada, condesa viuda de Ripalda
Victoria Federica: his godfather is her uncle Prince Felipe and his godmother is her aunt Ana de Marichalar, if i'm not mistaken

Infanta Cristina
Juan Valentin: his godmother is his aunt Infanta Elena and his godfather I think is his uncle Mikel Urdangarín
Pablo Nicolas Sebastián: his godmother is Alexia de Grecia, cousin of his mother, and Kubrat de Bulgaria.
Miguel : his godfather is his uncle Prince Felife and his godmother is Lucia Urdangarín, his aunt.
Irene: her godmother will be Rosario Nadal and her godfather will be Pedro López-Quesada, close friends of her parents.

http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2002/06/17/bautizos-reales/

All the royal baptisms

THE King Juan Carlos de Borbón, the first son male of don Juan de Borbón and Battenberg, count of Barcelona, and of dona Maria de las Mercedes de Borbón Orleáns, princess of Two Sicilias, he was born in the clinical Anglo Americana of Rome, on January, five, 1938.
The baptism was celebrated in family, in the Roman chapel of the Gentlemen of the Order of Malta , on January 26, 1938. The secretary of State informed the ceremony, cardinal Pacelli that, on the following year, he would be elected A Pope by the name of Pío XII. Don Alfonso XIII imposed on the future King the emblems of the Toisón of Gold. She was a godmother of the baptism the queen Victoria Eugenia - the one who thirty years later would occupy the same position in the baptism of the prince Felipe-, his paternal grandmother, and the infante don Carlos de Borbón - Two Sicilias, his mother grandfather. There was present at the ceremony, besides his family, the queen Elena of Italy, wife of Víctor Manuel III.

The infanta Elena

Elena Maria Isabel Dominica of Borbón's Siloes and Greece, first-born of the Kings of Spain, don Juan Carlos and dona Sofía, was born in the clinic Loreto, on December 20, 1963. Six days after the birth, her grandparents, the counts of Barcelona, were treading on Spanish soil. They were returning to Madrid, city in which they had not been from 1930. " (...) And on having had in arms my granddaughter, the first-born one of the princes, - don Juan wrote, at his arrival - I have given thanks to God because, in the middle of so long hours of painful absence it has been served the spirit to remain in order that neither my family nor I forget the historical responsibilities of our lives … "
The infanta Elena was baptized, on December 27, 1963, in the chapel of the palace of La Zarzuela and they acted as godfathers, dona Maria de las Mercedes, grandmother of the neófita, and the infante don Alfonso de Orleáns and Borbón. The ceremony there was informed by the messenger of the Pope, in Spain, monsignor Riberi.

The infanta Cristina

Cristina Federica Victoria Antonia de la Santísima Trinidad of Borbón and Greece, infanta of Spain, was born in the clinic of Our Lady of Loreto, of Madrid, on June 13, 1965. The second daughter of the Kings of Spain was baptized one week later, on June 20, by the archbishop of Madrid, monsignor Morcillo, in the palace of La Zarzuela. The baptismal sink had been brought of the convent of Guzmán's Santo Domingo. It was a medieval sink of white stone redressed in noble metals, in which the holy Dominican had been baptized.
There were present at the baptism the representatives of the Spanish nobility and of Borbón-Dampierre's houses, Bavaria, Braganza, Habsburgo, Orleáns and the King of Bulgaria.
They acted as godfathers dona Maria Cristina de Borbón, countess of Marone, aunt of don Juan Carlos and don Alfonso de Borbón Dampierre. There could be present at the ceremony either the count of nor Barcelona either the queen Victoria Eugenia, though yes dona Mercedes travelled, from Estoril, to know new granddaughter.

The prince Felipe

Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso de la Trinidad de Todos the Saints was born on January 30, 1968, in the clinic Loreto of Madrid, the same one in which his sisters came to the world. Since in both previous occasions, the King asked for several bottles of champagne and drank with the journalists congregated in the clinic. His pride was manifest. Besides, his grandmother, the queen Victoria, the widow of the last King of Spain, was returning to her country, 37 years after her march - with the proclamation of the Republic - towards the exile.
The prince Felipe was baptized in the palace of La Zarzuela on February, eight, 1968 in the same baptismal sink in which his sisters were receiving the first Sacramento.
The queen Victoria Eugenia, godmother of the infante Philip, - was dressing a suit gilded with fists of mink and hat of pens - supported the neophyte while the archbishop of Madrid, monsignor Casimiro Morcillo, was spilling on his head the baptismal water. The count of Barcelona acted as godfather.
The anecdote of the celebration was led by the infanta Cristina who, innocent, put to play with the tassels of the sash of the general Franco.

DonFelipe Juan Froilán

Felipe Juan Froilán de Todos los Santos, first-born grandson of the Kings don Juan Carlos and dona Sofía, received the baptism on Sunday, the four of October, 1998 - festivity of san Francisco de Asis and on eve of san Froilán, boss of Lugo-, in the course of a mass celebrated in the lounge of hearings of the palace of La Zarzuela. The cardinal informed the ceremony Rouco Varela, archbishop of Madrid.
The godfathers, the king don Juan Carlos and dona Concepción Sáenz de Tejada, countess widow of Ripalda, the paternal grandmother. The guests, more than sixty. Both families to the complete one, the prime minister and his wife, Ana Botella, the medical equipment who was present at the childbirth at the infanta Elena and the high charges of the house of His Majesty the King.
Dona Elena was turning into mother, but also into the first infanta who was giving to light in Spain, since the infanta Maria Teresa was doing it, daughter of Alfonso XII and Maria Cristina, on September, fifteen, 1912.

Don Juan Valentín de Todos los Santos

The first-born son of the Dukes of Palm, and the second grandson of the kings don Juan Carlos and dona Sofía, was baptized in the palace of La Zarzuela on December, twelve, 1999. Him( Juan put, for his grandparents, the King and the father of Iñaki, and Valentín, of the second name in San Valentín's memory Berriochoa, missionary Dominican, uncle of a grandmother of Iñaki Urdangarín that, he was born in Elorrio and died, martyr, in Indochina in the year 1861.
It was the fifth time that was celebrating a baptism in the Royal palace. The ceremony, of private character, was presided by the Kings and they represented as godfathers, the infanta and Mikel Urdangarín, uncles of the neophyte.

After the rite of the reception and the presentation of the child, the cardinal Rouco Varela, archbishop of Madrid, did the sign of the cross on Juan Valentín , sealing him later his parents, the godfathers and His Majesty the king don Juan Carlos.
The shell of christening, with that the baptismal waters were spilt on the head of the neophyte, comes from the chapel of the Royal palace and is realized by gilded silver. On the other hand, and following a tradition of the Spanish Royal Family, the water used in the Baptism of the son of the dukes of Palma was brought of the river Jordan.

Dona Victoria Federica

Victoria Federica, following the familiar customs, received, on October 11, 2000, on her head the waters of the river Jordan and illuminated the suit of christening that was used in the baptisms of S. M. The King, the infanta dona Elena, the infanta dona Cristina, the Prince of Asturias, don Felipe Juan Froilán and don Juan Valentín. Likewise, and, without treating itself about an infanta, Victoria Federica was baptized, as her brother, Felipe Juan Froilán, her cousin, Juan Valentín, in the sink of the Royal palace. A jewel of beginning of the XIXth realized in silver gilded by the Royal Factory of Silverwork.
On the other hand, the shell used to spill the water on the neófita - employee, also, in Juan Valentín's baptism - and, realized in gilded silver, was coming, also, from the chapel of the Royal Palace.

Don Pablo Nicolás

On January 20, 2001, one month and a half after coming to the world, was baptized Pablo Nicolás Sebastián, the second son of the Dukes of Palm, in an intimate and familiar ceremony, in the palace of La Zarzuela. The fourth grandson of the Kings of Spain received, as there say the familiar customs, the waters of the river Jordan and he was supported, in the course of a Mass informed by the cardinal don Antonio Maria Rouco Varela, by the prince Kubrat of Bulgaria, intimate friend of the infanta dona Cristina, and Alexia of Greece, niece of the Kings of Spain.
Before the Virgin of the Hermitage of the Palace The ceremony was celebrated in the principal lounge of the residence deprived of the Kings. In the stay that, since in the previous royal baptisms, used as support, with its walls decorated by the wonderful tapestries of Goya, the Virgin of the Hermitage of the palace La Zarzuela, placed together with the altar. An image of which there are deeply devout all the members of the Royal House and to the one that, since in the familiar previous baptisms, offered him the small neophyte after to this one the Sacramento had been distributed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The article is of 2002 and does not include the baptisms of Miguel and Irene.

The photos of the article
1. Infanta Elena
2. King Juan Carlos
3. Pablo Nicolás
4. Juan Valentín
5. Victoria Federica
6. Píncipe Felipe
7. Victoria Federica
8. Infanta Cristina

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 1,364
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,331
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 1,259
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,392
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 4,511
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,916
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,437
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,415
Last edited:
is there any guestlist?

as the christning of his baby girl will be soon do you think we will see more photos from felipes christning

Christening of Felipe Juan Froilan de Todos Los Santos

Christening of Felipe Juan Froilan de Todos los Santos, son of Dukes of Lugo and Kings of Spain first grandson.

The Christening happened in Zarzuela, on October the 4th – day of Saint Agustin of Assis and eve of San Froilan – patron of Lugo.

The Christening was published in this issue of Hola.

The Mass was conducted by Madrid Bishop, António Maria Rouco.

The godparents were the King of Spain, Don Juan Carlos and Doña Concepcion Sáenz de Tejada, countess of Ripalda and mother of Don Jaime.

The ceremony started at 5.30 in the afternoon and took place at the private room of the Kings residency at Zarzuela. Due to the big amount of invitees- around 70 persons – Royal Family discarded the idea of doing the baptism in the Chapel.

This was the forth baptism at Zarzuela, after Doña Elena, Doña Cristina and Prince Felipe. The first time was used on the 27th of December 1963 for Infanta Elena christening. The second was on the 20th of June 1965 for Infanta Cristina christening and the third was on the 8th of February 1968 for Prince Felipe christening.

The pile used for the christening was the christening pile of Royal Palace, dated from the beginnings of the XIX Century. Since Juan Froilan isn’t Infant of Spain he was not baptized in the pile of Santo Domingo de Guzman.

The room was decorated with exquisite tapestries made after Goya paintings. At the altar the Christ and the Virgin brought from the Palace Chapel.

After the Gloria, Prince of Asturias read Prophet Ezequiel, Infanta Cristina read Saint Paul letter to the Romans, and were followed by the homily pronounced by Cardinal Rouco.
After that the Felipe Juan Froilan de Todos los Santos was baptized with water that came from Jordan River.

Felipe didn’t use the same outfit as previous royal babies due to his size. Both Infantas and Prince Felipe were baptized in the following days of their birth, when Felipe Juan Froilan was baptized he was already more that two months old and very big (and heavy) baby.

During the ceremony all the chanting were made by Benedictine Nuns who sung among others Salm 26 “Lord is my light and salvation”, “Thank You Lord” from Joaquín Madurga, “Aleluya”, “Sanctus” and “Agnus” in Gregorian.

Before the last blessing Infanta Elena approached the Virgin to present and consagrate her son to the Mother of God.

(source of news and photos: Hola magazine)

Last edited:

A beautifull close-up of Infanta Doña Elena.

The Dukes of Pala were celebrating that day their first year of marriage.

Infanta Doña Pilar touching and looking adoringly to her nephew slipping in his mother's arms.

A Royal Paparazzi (I would like to see Queen Sofia album on their grandsons ;))

(souce of news and photos: Hola magazine)

The flower arrangements - pitiminí roses - were a gift from the town of Valencia.

Felipe Juan Froilan was baptized with this shell, in gold, plate and porcelain which was a gift from Lugo City Hall.

An image of Saint Froilan, who lived in the X Century.

Below a picture of Father Juan Manuel Abelande, one of the Franciscans responsible to bring the Water from the Jordan River.

Thank you very much, once again, for this great album, mtbcm (I was missing your excellent albums...)! ;)

Wow! This is an unusual photo of Infanta Elena! She's gorgeous!

Elsa M. said:
Thank you very much, once again, for this great album, mtbcm (I was missing your excellent albums...)! ;)

Wow! This is an unusual photo of Infanta Elena! She's gorgeous!

Thank you, Elsa. That's very kind of you :) .

If it is not much trouble I need your help on this:

"Felipe didn’t use the same outfit as previous royal babies due to his size. Both Infantas and Prince Felipe were baptized in the following days of their birth, when Felipe Juan Froilan was baptized he was already more that two months old and very big (and heavy) baby." - Hola wrote this, but when I see the old christening photos it does look like the same suit.

Could you help me?! I don't want to misguide anyone :eek: .

Thanks in advance.
mtbcm :)

Christening of Pablo Nicolas Sebastian de Todos los Santos

Source: Hola magazine

Pablo Nicolas Sebastián de Todos los Santos was baptized in Zarzuela Palace, on the 20th January 2001.

The cerimony was held by Monseñor Rouco Varela Cardinal of Madrid.

The godparents were Prince Kubrat of Bulgaria and Princess Alexia of Greece

The sacred music during the ceremony was sung by “Hijas de Santa Maria del Corazon de Jesus”.

Pablo Nicolas was baptized at the same christening pile, brought from the Palace Chapel, as his brother Juan Valentin and his cousins Felipe Juan Froilan and Victoria Frederica.

Don Jaime de Marichalar holds his daughter Victoria Frederica

Felipe Juan Froilan

Los Dukes of Palma with King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia and with Iñaki’s parents Don Juan Maria Urdangarin and Doña Claire Liebaert

(source: Hola magazine)

lula said:
The photos of the article

lula, i think the caption are a bit mixed-up.
1. King Juan Carlos
3. Infanta Cristina
4. Prince Felipe
5. Felipe Juan Froilan
6. Juan Valentin
7. Victoria Federica
8. Pablo Nicolas

Last edited:
several more picture of Spanish Royal Baptism courtesy of hola.es

Infanta Elena

Prince Felipe

Miguel Urdangarin

Irene Urdangarin

From Hola:
http://www.hola.com/abonados/casasreales/2005/12/23/bautizo-felipe/

Prince Felipe de Borbón y Grecia was born on January 30th, 1968, in the Loreto clinic of Madrid, just like his sisters, Infantas Elena and Cristina. Like in the two previous occasions, in the clinic, the King requested several bottles of champagne to toast with the journalists. His pride was evident. In addition, his grandmother, queen Victoria (the widow of the last King of Spain) returned to her country, 37 years after the proclamation of the Republic and subsequent exile.

Prince Felipe was baptized in the palace of La Zarzuela on February 8th, 1968, in the same baptismal sink in which his sisters received the first Sacrament: the sink of Santo Domingo de Guzmán.

Queen Victoria Eugenia, the godmother of Infante Felipe (who wore a golden suit with a matching hat of pens) hold the baby in her arms, while the archbishop of Madrid, monsignor Casimiro Morcillo, spilled the baptismal water over his head. The count of Barcelona played the role of godfather. The anecdote of the celebration took place when the innocent Infant Cristina started playing with the tassels of the mantel worn by general Franco.

Photo host: ImageShack
http://img497.imageshack.us/img497/4783/bautizoppefelipe4a0ca.jpg
http://img497.imageshack.us/img497/2921/pilastodomingo2a4lu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom