Spanish National Day (2014-2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
Spain's National Day/Fiesta Nacional de España
October 12, 2014

323px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Spanish_Monarch.svg.png

Last edited:
It´s great that the Princess and the infanta are attending the parade (I would actually have been very dissapointed if they weren´t).

I was hoping Juan Carlos and Sofia would attend to, oh well...

i think it's time for little Leonor to be introduced to her first egagements as a "crown princess"...

:previous: It is ;)

According to ABC there will be new changes on the cocktail at the Royal Palace after the parade. King Felipe has invited some social groups that never had attended before, such as "young talents", outstanding athletes, some ngos, terrorism victims, the Spaniards awarded with the PoA award or the National Culture Awards and so on.
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.abc.es%2Fcasa-del-rey%2Frey-felipe-vi%2F20141010%2Fabci-infantitas-desfile-militar-201410101406.html&edit-text=&act=url

That´s a refreshing change, IMO (the reception was only for national and regional governments, militars and few more).

Like that the parents are introducing their daughters to these events when they can.

I was hoping Juan Carlos and Sofia would attend to, oh well...

I was hoping we'd at least see H.M.Queen Sofia,I didn't anticipate any sightings of King Juan Carlos.

I was hoping we'd at least see H.M.Queen Sofia,I didn't anticipate any sightings of King Juan Carlos.

True. What is the reason they will not attend. Thought they would now fill the part which Felipe and Letizia did as Prince and Princess of Asturias.

Stefan, the Royal Household has announced that they will only attend specific events, so their role will be much smaller.

Probably the reason is the same reason that King Albert and Queen Paola did not attend the Belgian National Day, and Princess Beatrix did not attend the Prinsjesdag... the focus should be on the new Monarch.

Also in the case of King Juan Carlos, he still needs a cane, probably could not stand for the events, and that would cause protocol problems. This is a very important institutional event, if King Juan Carlos does not attend, Queen Sofia should not attend.

That was a very impressive ceremony this year. I like these kind of military ceremonies very much and love the military bands playing. It seems that Leonor liked the music too, she was swinging with it. Leonor is a very inquisitive girl, she was asking a lot of questions from her parents and pointing something out to her mother. Sofia didn't look very comfortable, of course it was a long ceremony. The girls behaved very well and it is cute to see them shaking hands with the dignitaries. Letizia takes good care of them and they surely feel secure with her guidance.

Last edited:
Leonor seems to be a natural, she's really into it. But its easy for her, she sees her life unfolding in front of her and is embracing it, its something she shares with her father. In 30+ years she knows that she will be standing there, doing all this stuff.
Very different for Sofia, she is not comfortable and I feel sorry for her. With time she will understand that nothing is about her but everything is about her sister, and she is only the lackey/backup. She will devote the best years of her life to supporting her sister without having a real task and then leave the Royal Family when Leonor becomes Queen, as she is not needed any longer. Not easy to deal with.

i disagree... I see the two girls very unsure and lost.... A bit less now that theid parents are the sovereigns...

I don't think she is all over them she is making sure they are o.k. This is what I would expect her to do. The girls look fine and to me are getting used to the events that now are a part of their lives.

I don't think she is all over them she is making sure they are o.k. This is what I would expect her to do. The girls look fine and to me are getting used to the events that now are a part of their lives.

I agree with you.

I loved how Leonor and Sofia attended as I wasn't expecting to see them this year, but I'm not sure why. How Leonor seemed to be getting in the spirit of the occasion was adorable. I didn't think she looked lost or anything like that, but I do think that Sofia seemed a little shy, although as she is younger, that's natural. But I've always thought that out of the two, Leonor is the more confident one.

Do we know if Leonor and Sofia attended the reception, or if they only attended the main celebrations outside the Royal Palace?

Yes, I agree. I think Letizia's gestures towards Leonor and Sofia are only natural. I see parents go much more OTT than Letizia with their children - I have seen a number of children Leonor's age and older sit on their parents laps, or their parents holding on tightly to them etc. It really irks me when parents baby older children, but I think what Letizia is doing is just fine.

Back
Top Bottom