Spanish National Day (2014-2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wish they would invite Infanta Elena back to this event in an official capacity it was sad to see her and her daughter watching it all from afar!

Not sure if anyone noticed the protocol breach by Spain's prime minister during the reception at the Palace.

After greeting the King and Queen, the prime minister and his wife placed themselves next to them to greet the other guests until a staff member rushed to remove them.

Is the PM new in the job?

Is the PM new in the job?

The prime minister is new to the post but had already been to this event before taking office so he knew what to do. It was a great error of protocol and there was a certain discomfort on the part of the Kings who did not realize why the Prime Minister and his wife stood there beside them instead of moving on like the rest of the guests. This subject was very prominent in the Spanish media and the royal house had to make a statement on the subject.

Last edited:
Thanks Blog Real & Duke of Marmalade :flowers:

A temporary blonde moment then, I guess.

There was and incident because the paratrooper who carried the Spanish flag (one of the stellar moments every year) hit a streetlight and got hanged down on it. The poor man was absolutely devastated afterwards, who can blame him. Queen Letizia had a very warm gesture towards him at the end of the parade, taking a time to confort him and telling him: "it is allright" and "thanks for the work", video here:

And I say Queen Letizia because the good and beloved King greeted him and passed by without looking twice, and only came back to have sone words with him after his wife had done so.

This is being talked a lot on the media, with shy praise for Letizia individually and mostly praise for both "Their Majesties". Let's not permit any compliment to the cold witch of the north, as per usual ?

BTW, video of the incident (I must admit I expected worse by the "crack" sound, it was pretty scary):

Nice to see the kings 1st cousin Doña Maria Zurita there,I think thats a first and I also spotted the Duke of Alba in the photos above :previous:.

Great to see the photos and videos of the National Day celebrations. Leonor and Sofia are always impeccably behaved - Felipe and Letizia should be proud of their daughters.

Here's a live link for tomorrow's celebration:

Last edited by a moderator:
The King and Queen, the Princess of Asturias and the Infanta Sofia, at the celebration event on the occasion of the Spain's national day.

From the pictures, it looks like the normal decorations for the King in events like that: Sovereign's necklace insignia of the order of the Golden Fleece; sash and star of a Knight with Collar of the order of Carlos III; the three grand crosses of military merit; and the band of captain general of the army.

The Princess of Asturias is also wearing the dame's ribbon insignia of the order of the Golden Fleece, but I am unable to see if the Queen is wearing any miniature of a Spanish royal order.

Last edited:
National Day 2021

Princess Leonor will not be at the events on October 12 due to the sanitary regulations of her school

https://www.europapress.es/nacional...normas-sanitarias-colegio-20211008145455.html

After the different event last year due to Covid restrictions, the military parade will be recovered although reduced and there will be a reception at the Royal Palace but with fewer guests and without cocktail.

https://www.abc.es/espana/casa-real...s-palacio-real-12-o-202110041803_noticia.html

It will be strange not to see the Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofía after the past few years.

It looks like nobody curtsies anymore to the King and Queen of Spain, which is odd as curtsying was fairly common during the reign of King Juan Carlos.

Another odd thing is that the shield and crest of the national coat of arms and of the King's personal arms have exactly the same heraldic descriptions in the legal instruments that established them, but, for some reason, the government of Spain adopted an official model design and a color palette for the national coat of arms that are different from the King's arms and go against the laws of heraldry.

EDIT: In the video, you can see the different designs of the two coat of arms: the King's personal arms appear on the King's standard (with the shield encircled by the collar of the Golden Fleece) whereas the national coat of arms is the one supported in the heraldic achievment by two crowned columns.

Last edited:
The Throne room looks so much nicer with the beautiful marble floor visible than when it is covered under red carpet

will the Princess of Asturias attending?

Last edited by a moderator:
National day 2022

No, like last year she won't be coming back from Wales just to attend the military parade. The Infanta Sofía will attend.

The Princess of Asturias will return to Spain at the end of October to attend the Princess of Asturias Awards, which this year have been delayed a week to coincide with her autumn break.

Reception at the Royal Palace

SS.MM. LOS REYES PRESIDEN LA RECEPCION OFICIAL POR EL DÍA DE LA HISPANIDAD - Todos - ..:GTRESONLINE:..

https://www.semana.es/casas-reales/...sta-nacional-palacio-real-20221012-002549520/

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_e...onal-recepcion-felipe-letizia-palacio-real/1/

https://www.heraldo.es/multimedia/i...-reyes-palacio-real-fiesta-nacional-imagenes/

Last edited:

Not. She is still at UWC Atlantic College in Wales, not returning to Spain until the end of the month.
Infanta Sofia will be present.

Nice to see the Infanta Sofia included in the royal line up.

Back
Top Bottom