The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-20-2016, 10:43 AM
Royal Highness

Spain State Visits: General Discussion

I think that we could have a discussion about Spain State Visits, and what visits do we want to see in the future?

When do you think Leonor and Sofia begin to participate in State banquets to the heads of State who visit Spain? When they do 18 years?

Old 10-02-2016, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Spanish State Visits of the Past

Spanish State/Official Visits of the Past

Here are a few video clips I found of incoming and outgoing State /Official Visits with King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia.

1978 State Visit to Spain from Belgium

Old 10-02-2016, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

1978 Spanish State Visit to Portugal

1978 State Visit from France

Old 10-02-2016, 06:57 PM
Majesty

Seeing the apparently massive support for the monarchy in the Spain of 1978 and in particular the affection for King Juan Carlos then compared to how lukewarm that same support seems now is sobering.

Thanks for the wonderful videos.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" MLK Jr 1929-1968
Old 10-03-2016, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

1977 Official Visit to Belgium

1978 Asian Visits :Iran,China and Iraq.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Does anybody know where I can find video clips of the state visit of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia to the UK in 1986, especially of the state dinner at Windsor Castle ?
Old 10-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

May 1995:Official Visit to the USA

July 1997 :Official Visit from the USA

Old 10-04-2016, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Spanish State Visit to Thailand,February 2006

1997 Visit to Russia

Old 10-18-2016, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

State Visit from Ireland

1999 Visit to Cuba

Old 10-22-2016, 07:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Seeing the apparently massive support for the monarchy in the Spain of 1978 and in particular the affection for King Juan Carlos then compared to how lukewarm that same support seems now is sobering.
On the contrary, the monarchy is much more established right now, and King Felipe is (and has always been, even when Prince of Asturias) very popular. If the monarchical system fails in Spain it will be despite King Felipe's popularity, even republican leaders have said that Felipe would be an ideal candidate for President and that he would win. (Again, I'm just saying that there are republicans everywhere and despite the apocalyptic views of the Spanish monarchy here there's no major support, either among politicians or the population, to change the system)

In 1978 few people thought the monarchy would survive and Juan Carlos was known in certain political circles as Juan Carlos the Brief. If we're judging support from anecdotal videos and pictures of people greeting the royals, there are certainly many, many photos and videos of the current royal couple greeting adoring crowds.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:42 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I think that we could have a discussion about Spain State Visits, and what visits do we want to see in the future?

When do you think Leonor and Sofia begin to participate in State banquets to the heads of State who visit Spain? When they do 18 years?
Presumably at 18 they'll be either at college or at a military academy. I imagine their attendance would depend on exams, homework, where they're studying...Perhaps they'd start attending certain state dinners, for example from another monarchy.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia arrive at Dublin Airport on July 1st 1986.

http://www.irishtimes.com/polopoly_f..._330/image.jpg

Queen Sofia of Spain with The Irish 1st Lady,the late Maeve Hillery at Áras an Uachtaráin,July 1st 1986.

King of Spain Juan Carlos Pictures | Getty Images

Queen Sofia visits The Museum of Archaeology in Dublin.

King of Spain Juan Carlos Pictures | Getty Images
Old 04-01-2017, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks An Ard Ri for sharing the Official Visit of the King and Queen of Spain in Belgium 1977.
I shared the King's Hand on his Official Visit in Brussels on 2000.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:19 AM
Royal Highness

Spain State Visits: General Discussion, Suggestions, Musings

Hello. I decided to create this topic so that we can talk about the next visits of the state that the Kings of Spain will do.
Morocco, Brazil and Peru should be the countries that Philip VI and Queen Letizia should visit in the coming months.
When will the Kings of Spain visit Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and Belgium?
Leave your comments ...
Old 07-13-2017, 12:03 PM
Courtier

I have no further insights in Spanish state visits and/or politics, and not able to say what countries that are prioritized or not. When it comes to the fellow monarchies I wish they do it in the old-fashioned way, to visit them in the order of precedence (which they kind off have done so far) with the Queen of Denmark being the next guest.

As a Swede of course I hope for a state visit to Sweden soon.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Blog Real why did you create a second thread seeing as you already created this one below not so long ago?

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ast-41353.html

Both threads will be merged.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
When it comes to the fellow monarchies I wish they do it in the old-fashioned way, to visit them in the order of precedence (which they kind off have done so far) with the Queen of Denmark being the next guest.

As a Swede of course I hope for a state visit to Sweden soon.
It will depend by which other monarch they are invited first. I think the King and Queen of NL and the belgian King and Queen would also haved loved to make first a State Visit to Great Britiain before to other monarchies.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
It will depend by which other monaqrch they are ionvite first,. I think King and Queen of NL and the beglian King and Queen would also haved loved to make first a State Visit to Great Britiain before to other monarchies.
Considering the strong Belgium/EU association, I don't see it coming anytime soon, but I think a Belgian state visit to the UK is long overdue. All Belgian kings up to King Baudouin included were knights of the Garter. King Albert II, however, never received that distinction as there was no UK state visit during his reign, neither has so far King Philippe.

Queen Mathilde doesn't have many tiaras, but I think she could handle two tiara nights with the Nine Provinces at the state banquet and Queen Fabiola's Spanish tiara at the Guildhall banquet (which I'm pretty sure she has in her possession, but has not worn yet). Or, maybe Queen Paola will come to her senses and leave the Art Deco bandeau to Mathilde as, after all, it was an heirloom from Queen Elisabeth and Queen Astrid and should stay in the main line of the family. In the worst case scenario, she still has the Wolfers or her Laurel Wreath for the second night, but she would like a very poor queen indeed !
Old 07-14-2017, 09:59 AM
Royal Highness

Will the Kings of Spain in the coming months, until 2018, visit other monarchies in Europe?
Old 07-14-2017, 02:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Will the Kings of Spain in the coming months, until 2018, visit other monarchies in Europe?
They will probably visit Morocco after summer