Spain State Visits/Official Visits: General Discussion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sofia just wore Tiaras for state visits abroad in the 70s, as princess and later in the first years of JC reign, she also wore a Tiara for state visit to Austria 1995. I think she always was "mixed up" wearing a Tiara or not , i remember the berleburg wedding she wore no tiara, while other royals wore a tiara the same with state visits, while other Royals "mostly" wore a tiara also for black tie she usually waived. So far leti had just one state visit a tiara was appropriate but she wore no tiara ( Portugal) i hope this will chance for upcoming state visits of course not likely she will change)

It depends very much on the dresscode. When the hosts sets it as business suit, then even a lady with an amazing collection will wear modest jewels. Example: Queen Máxima at the Palais de l'Élysée in Paris. The day after, being the hosts themselves, they had the bar set at black tie and then Màxima wore glittering diamonds at the Petit-Palais. Morale of this story: Doña Letizia has it not in her own hands to pack out with jewels or not, it really depends on the hosts.

Last edited:
The 1986 State Visit to Ireland by King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia.

Arrival at Dublin Airport

It depends very much on the dresscode. When the hosts sets it as business suit, then even a lady with an amazing collection will wear modest jewels. Example: Queen Máxima at the Palais de l'Élysée in Paris. The day after, being the hosts themselves, they had the bar set at black tie and then Màxima wore glittering diamonds at the Petit-Palais. Morale of this story: Doña Letizia has it not in her own hands to pack out with jewels or not, it really depends on the hosts.

At the recent spanish State Visit to Portugal the dresscode was white tie but Letiza still did not wear a tiara apparently becausee Queens Sofia wore them abroad only for State Visits to other monarchies. And even if the dresscode is black tie or suits and short gowns she still could opt for a nice necklace but she almost nevers wears one.

At the recent spanish State Visit to Portugal the dresscode was white tie but Letiza still did not wear a tiara apparently becausee Queens Sofia wore them abroad only for State Visits to other monarchies. And even if the dresscode is black tie or suits and short gowns she still could opt for a nice necklace but she almost nevers wears one.
The strange thing about that banquet is that the Duchess of Braganca wore a tiara while Queen Letizia didn't even put on a necklace

The strange thing about that banquet is that the Duchess of Braganca wore a tiara while Queen Letizia didn't even put on a necklace

Thats nothing strange where the Letizia is concerned,she's been upstaged many times due to her lack of any effort ;)

Thats nothing strange where the Letizia is concerned, ;)

That's true. She seem to have an allergy against necklaces and usually wears as few Jewels as possible.

King Felipe invited the President of Peru for a state visit to spain during the ARCO 2019.

I know its to early but Felipe/Letizia might visit Cuba in 2019.

Both the Royal Household and the Spanish Government would be considering the possibility that King Felipe VI officially travel to Havana in 2019, coinciding with the central events for the celebration of the 500th anniversary of the founding of the city, which will be celebrated on the 16th. November 2019

https://www.cibercuba.com/noticias/...a-visitar-cuba-noviembre-2019-500-aniversario

another source

https://www.notimerica.com/politica...pe-vi-cuba-noviembre-2019-20181116001934.html

Next year seems to be a better year for state visit, if they dont cancel it.

incoming state visit 2019
France ( i guess in spring or summer)
Peru (February)

outgoing statevisit
Morocco maybe spring/late winter February

maybe a state visit to denmark?

Sanchez expects visit to Cuba is the travel advance of the Kings in 2019.

https://www.lavanguardia.com/politi...-el-avance-de-viaje-de-los-reyes-en-2019.html

Sanchez going to Cuba first is another missed opportunity for Felipe VI. In Spain there is a lot of critizism on the foreign policy of the PM who does a lot of high profile trips that should be done by the highest representative instead, the King, and leaves him almost without an international agenda.

ABC explains that Sanchez is deflecting form the government disasters of recent years by concentrating all foreign relations on himself and that he cannot promote the figure of the King because of the anti-monarchist parties who keep him in power, therefore trying to keep the King on a tight leash when it comes to high profile events as Head of State.

Difficult situation as the government has the last say in the political agenda of the King.

https://www.abc.es/opinion/abci-sanchez-deja-sin-actividad-exterior-201810080455_noticia.html

Hopefully the King and Queen will get to visit another monarchy next year,Denmark or Belgium.

Will it be possible in the coming years for the Kings of Spain to make state visits to Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and Belgium? It would be nice to watch these state visits.

Will it be possible in the coming years for the Kings of Spain to make state visits to Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and Belgium? It would be nice to watch these state visits.

I think they will make state visit to other monarchs in next 5-8 years. Of course everything will depend if they are invited, will they accept an invitation, and will they have a government mess like 2015/2016? If everything goes well i think they could visit one or even two royal houses per year. Its just a example in 2017 it was Japan and UK, maybe they visit Morocco & Denmark 2019. I think FL will make a state visit to Jordan maybe in 2020.

I wounder which royal house might be the first on a state visit to Spain? usually the new kings visit longer reign kings. Does it mean the new Emperor of Japan will visit Spain after his inauguation-Or the new King of Thailand? I dont think Q.ElizabethII will visit spain. Tbh i hope for a incoming State visit from Jordan (Rania&Abdullah made a state visit to Belgium and an official visit to netherlands which was planned as state visit)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wounder which royal house might be the first on a state visit to Spain? usually the new kings visit longer reign kings. Does it mean the new Emperor of Japan will visit Spain after his inauguation-Or the new King of Thailand? I dont think Q.ElizabethII will visit spain. Tbh i hope for a incoming State visit from Jordan (Rania&Abdullah made a state visit to Belgium and an official visit to netherlands which was planned as state visit)

As for State Viits with other european monarchies i think the spanish Royal Couple will first have to make State Visits abroad before there will be incoming State Visits. As for Thailnd no Idea. Perhaps the new King will make a Tour through Europe like his parents did in the 1960's.

Last edited:
According to the newspaper El País, the government is again trying to close a visit to Morocco for February 13 and 14.

https://elpais.com/politica/2019/01/17/actualidad/1547752783_922926.html

During the speech at the reception to the Diplomatic Corps, King Felipe confirmed the State Visit of the President of Peru at the end of February, as well as the trip of the King and Queen to Argentina at the end of March to inaugurate the Congress of the Spanish Language ( it is not confirmed if it will be a State Visit).

Last edited by a moderator:
According to several media, the visit to Argentina at the end of March will continue as planned.

Wasn't rumored that a Spanish state visit to Denmark was underway in 2019, with planning and all? Any updates on this?

No I don't think that's possible until a new government is sworn in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom