Spain State Visits/Official Visits: General Discussion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
I think that we could have a discussion about Spain State Visits, and what visits do we want to see in the future?

When do you think Leonor and Sofia begin to participate in State banquets to the heads of State who visit Spain? When they do 18 years?

Hello. I decided to create this topic so that we can talk about the next visits of the state that the Kings of Spain will do.
Morocco, Brazil and Peru should be the countries that Philip VI and Queen Letizia should visit in the coming months.
When will the Kings of Spain visit Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and Belgium?
Leave your comments ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Spanish State Visits of the Past

Spanish State/Official Visits of the Past

159px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Spanish_Monarch.svg.png

Here are a few video clips I found of incoming and outgoing State /Official Visits with King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia.

1978 State Visit to Spain from Belgium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDQehc_d7oM

Last edited:
Seeing the apparently massive support for the monarchy in the Spain of 1978 and in particular the affection for King Juan Carlos then compared to how lukewarm that same support seems now is sobering.:ermm:

Thanks for the wonderful videos.

Does anybody know where I can find video clips of the state visit of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia to the UK in 1986, especially of the state dinner at Windsor Castle ?

Seeing the apparently massive support for the monarchy in the Spain of 1978 and in particular the affection for King Juan Carlos then compared to how lukewarm that same support seems now is sobering.:ermm:

On the contrary, the monarchy is much more established right now, and King Felipe is (and has always been, even when Prince of Asturias) very popular. If the monarchical system fails in Spain it will be despite King Felipe's popularity, even republican leaders have said that Felipe would be an ideal candidate for President and that he would win. (Again, I'm just saying that there are republicans everywhere and despite the apocalyptic views of the Spanish monarchy here there's no major support, either among politicians or the population, to change the system)

In 1978 few people thought the monarchy would survive and Juan Carlos was known in certain political circles as Juan Carlos the Brief. If we're judging support from anecdotal videos and pictures of people greeting the royals, there are certainly many, many photos and videos of the current royal couple greeting adoring crowds.

I think that we could have a discussion about Spain State Visits, and what visits do we want to see in the future?

When do you think Leonor and Sofia begin to participate in State banquets to the heads of State who visit Spain? When they do 18 years?

Presumably at 18 they'll be either at college or at a military academy. I imagine their attendance would depend on exams, homework, where they're studying...Perhaps they'd start attending certain state dinners, for example from another monarchy.

Thanks An Ard Ri for sharing the Official Visit of the King and Queen of Spain in Belgium 1977.
I shared the King's Hand on his Official Visit in Brussels on 2000.

I have no further insights in Spanish state visits and/or politics, and not able to say what countries that are prioritized or not. When it comes to the fellow monarchies I wish they do it in the old-fashioned way, to visit them in the order of precedence (which they kind off have done so far) with the Queen of Denmark being the next guest.

As a Swede of course I hope for a state visit to Sweden soon.

When it comes to the fellow monarchies I wish they do it in the old-fashioned way, to visit them in the order of precedence (which they kind off have done so far) with the Queen of Denmark being the next guest.

As a Swede of course I hope for a state visit to Sweden soon.

It will depend by which other monarch they are invited first. I think the King and Queen of NL and the belgian King and Queen would also haved loved to make first a State Visit to Great Britiain before to other monarchies.

Last edited:
It will depend by which other monaqrch they are ionvite first,. I think King and Queen of NL and the beglian King and Queen would also haved loved to make first a State Visit to Great Britiain before to other monarchies.

Considering the strong Belgium/EU association, I don't see it coming anytime soon, but I think a Belgian state visit to the UK is long overdue. All Belgian kings up to King Baudouin included were knights of the Garter. King Albert II, however, never received that distinction as there was no UK state visit during his reign, neither has so far King Philippe.

Queen Mathilde doesn't have many tiaras, but I think she could handle two tiara nights with the Nine Provinces at the state banquet and Queen Fabiola's Spanish tiara at the Guildhall banquet (which I'm pretty sure she has in her possession, but has not worn yet). Or, maybe Queen Paola will come to her senses and leave the Art Deco bandeau to Mathilde as, after all, it was an heirloom from Queen Elisabeth and Queen Astrid and should stay in the main line of the family. In the worst case scenario, she still has the Wolfers or her Laurel Wreath for the second night, but she would like a very poor queen indeed !

Will the Kings of Spain in the coming months, until 2018, visit other monarchies in Europe?

Will the state visit of the Kings of Spain to Morocco take place this year?

Are we going to see state visits from the Kings of Spain to Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Jordan in 2018 and 2018?

Tha Spanish Royal House confirmed the State Visit from Israel. The State Visit begins next Monday.

the state visit is re-schediled in 2018 do we know the exact dath?

My Guess for state visits for next years.

state visit to
Cuba in January 2018
Morocco March 2018
They also received invitations from Ireland, Brazil, Jordan(was postponed in 2016), South corea(postponed in 2016) and New Zealand. I also think a state visit to Peru,Columbia and Chile might be possible. I could imagine they receive a invitation from Queen Margrethe, she also invited the Dutch and Belgium King and Queen for a state visit.

For incoming state visits im not sure maybe another Latin american Country like El salvador, Panama or Ecuador. A state visit from Portugal and France would be suitable state visit too.

I also think Spain and Germany have a close relationship, maybe a German-Spainish State visit?

I hadn't heard anything about a State Visit to Ireland,interesting the last one was back in 1986 and King Juan Carlos/Queen Sofia extended their stay with an invitation from the the then Irish late Dr.Patrick Hillery to spend time at his holiday home on the west coast.

Back
Top Bottom