Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Twitter Spain is SLAUGHTERING Letizia, she's not very liked and virtually everyone respects Queen Sofía, so things are not looking good for her in the PR department tbh.
She's perceived as lazy, as if she lacks dedication to the Crown, as an overbearing mother that doesn't allow her daughters to interact with the royal side but only with her own family.
Not good at all.
And no, this doesn't have to do anything with Cristina or Iñaki, this family has been broken for a long time and the fact that the former King and Queen haven't been able to fully retire and have to show up for nearly everything is a proof that the current ones are not up to the task yet, which is terrible for Spain's stability.

Again this post shows there are as many Spains as Spaniards :lol:

In my corner of Spain there was a general opinion of Felipe being more apt to the job than his father by the time he abdicated and from that on, and the one that is perceived as lazy and "living la vida loca" with luxury trips, friends and expensive restaurants is and having to show more commitement to the institution lately to "rehabilitate" himself in the public opinion is precisely JC.

Another thing ... if the family continues attending this Mass and posing for the photographers, it is because Sofía wants it. Sofia and her sister spend these days on vacation in Palma, and although the rest of the Royal Family does not, they go to this mass so that the press has their photos and nobody questions the use of the palace by Sofia.

If King Felipe continues to maintain the agreement for the use of Marivent is for Queen Sofia ... I think that for him and Letizia, it would be easier and better for their image to reach another type of agreement.

As long as they actually use it during the entire Summer holidays and don't run off to "exotic" destinations we have no idea where (with taxpayer money and military planes of course), I wouldn't mind that.

Of course some people can continue attacking Letizia, but one thing she didn't do was dragging Felipe down, actually now Felipe is extremely popular. Felipe has always been a good person. since he married Letizia, he has improved his speeches, his communication skill, most importantly, Felipe is secure enough to make his own decisions even though it was against the will of his parents (ex. Inaki's business scandal at the beginning). Felipe is no longer a Mama's boy, he is a man now. Letizia also has a strong personality, but in the family Felipe is the one with the last word.

I have heard this as well. :cool:

It's exactly like that, and obviously that's done in purpose. In the first video that initiated the scandal you just watched Letizia walking in front of the group with no context.

There is some serious animus towards them to go to this trouble with a video. :sad:

Again this post shows there are as many Spains as Spaniards :lol:

In my corner of Spain there was a general opinion of Felipe being more apt to the job than his father by the time he abdicated and from that on, and the one that is perceived as lazy and "living la vida loca" with luxury trips, friends and expensive restaurants is and having to show more commitement to the institution lately to "rehabilitate" himself in the public opinion is precisely JC.

LMAO we're one weird country. :lol:

Felipe has been sold as "El Preparado" (the "ready") since I have memory (think I was born the year Neil Armstrong walked on the moon so I'm virtually contemporary with Felipe) but he didn't choose a wife that was up to his "mega" level (or what he was sold for).

I mean, we were ALL expecting something COMPLETELY different (a Mathilde/Máxima kind of woman), let's not say we weren't because we were :lol:

Juancar nowadays is seen as an old geezer burning up his last candle, we all know about his shady deals with Morocco and Saudi Arabia, about his SERIAL infidelity, about everything he's done but people are just like meh, he doesn't have much time left so whatever :lol:

Another thing ... if the family continues attending this Mass and posing for the photographers, it is because Sofía wants it. Sofia and her sister spend these days on vacation in Palma, and although the rest of the Royal Family does not, they go to this mass so that the press has their photos and nobody questions the use of the palace by Sofia.

If King Felipe continues to maintain the agreement for the use of Marivent is for Queen Sofia ... I think that for him and Letizia, it would be easier and better for their image to reach another type of agreement.

Well, they have to pose somewhere, not sure what Mallorca has to do with it. If they don't pose in Palma anymore, where do they pose?

Monarchy is not only 'work', you do your events and leave and have your private life, you have to somehow show yourself in 'fluff' events, connect with the people and yes, please the media because they play they role as well in promoting the happy family image. I know Letizia stands for the 'serious' journalism, only controlled appearances and events with depth but this is not how the world works and she won't be able to protect her daughters from real life out there.

We only see the family at Easter in Palma, in Palma again in the summer, on National Day and on a Christmas Card, please correct me if I forgot an event, if you scrap Palma what remains? If 'silly' posing is out of the question, the concept of the monarchy is not the right tool for this family.

Well, they have to pose somewhere, not sure what Mallorca has to do with it. If they don't pose in Palma anymore, where do they pose?

Monarchy is not only 'work', you do your events and leave and have your private life, you have to somehow show yourself in 'fluff' events, connect with the people and yes, please the media because they play they role as well in promoting the happy family image. I know Letizia stands for the 'serious' journalism, only controlled appearances and events with depth but this is not how the world works and she won't be able to protect her daughters from real life out there.

We only see the family at Easter in Palma, in Palma again in the summer, on National Day and on a Christmas Card, please correct me if I forgot an event, if you scrap Palma what remains? If 'silly' posing is out of the question, the concept of the monarchy is not the right tool for this family.

BINGO! :previous:

Of course some people can continue attacking Letizia, but one thing she didn't do was dragging Felipe down, actually now Felipe is extremely popular. Felipe has always been a good person. since he married Letizia, he has improved his speeches, his communication skill, most importantly, Felipe is secure enough to make his own decisions even though it was against the will of his parents (ex. Inaki's business scandal at the beginning). Felipe is no longer a Mama's boy, he is a man now. Letizia also has a strong personality, but in the family Felipe is the one with the last word.

Yes, but where a Máxima or a Mary certainly uplifted their husbands, we can say that Letizia does not have that effect.

Máxima and Mary had mothers-in-law who were Heads of State, from the first moment they became First Ladies, and they did not have mothers-in-law or sisters of royal blood with whom to share an agenda.

Letizia took years to take center stage, and that has been a drag ... and now the beginnings of Felipe's reign are not being easy, and she remains a secondary priority. The Spanish government is much more restrictive with international activities ... and Letizia is being more active than Sofia was.

Duke, they can simply replace one model with another, now that girls have grown up is easier. With her first official photo, the delivery of the Golden Fleece ... it is evident that Leonor is entering a more active phase of public life. This year there are high expectations of a visit to Asturias. Beyond posed for photographers, we are seeing her in public activities of more relevance to her future role.

They have to create their own model, and stop being tied to a model created by Juan Carlos and Sofia that few already share. Neither going to Marivent for a few days, nor a mass that is private but where there are photographers, nor the Mass on Easter Sunday instead of Palm Sunday (much more familiar and suitable for children) .... make sense.

Last edited:
I suppose prince Felipe needed less 'uplifting' than some other (former) heirs ;). I find the assumption that the wife is responsible for how the husband behaves rather archaic.

Of the royals only prince Laurent engages in public spectacles. So this little incident comes as a surprise -from both Queens. Of course they wouldn't be the first mother-in-law/daughter-in-law that have some irritations....

I think it is best to stay away from critisizing minors, especially as we do not know the entire story.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone in their sane mind should or would rightfully criticize Leonor.

In the video the young girls were fine walking with their grandmother until Letizia came along. Now I obviously couldn't hear the exchange of words but the reaction on Queen Sofia's face and Leonor's sudden decision to throw all hands off her made it seem that it was not a good encounter.

The farewell video only makes things worse. I am seeing a grandmother who cleverly knows that pics with the girls are good PR. But I am also seeing a mother who seems a bit overbearing and controlling. In the farewell images it seemed like Letizia was on Sofia's heels. Sofia kissed Leonor and Letizia came over to stroke Leonor's hair, Sofia moves to go to Sofia Jr. and Letizia follows.

Whatever contention and strife exists among the two women:

1. It is not fair to bring the girls in the middle.
2. They must handle the public situation better. Perhaps they should keep a healthy distance from each other.

Last edited:
Actually the only "conflict" is between oppressive grandmother and overwhelmed granddaughter. The rest is pure fiction.

Please watch the full videos, and not the clipped video. The story is very different.

Last edited:
Okay, I have to admit that this clip from Daily Mail, does show that Leonor does not wish to have her grandmother's hand on her: 'Tense scene' between Letizia of Spain and Queen Sofia in Mallorca | Daily Mail Online

Of course we can speculate endless as to why, so unless it happens or has happened more often, it could be caused by anything IMO.

ADDED: Marie Chantal's remark is astonishing IMO!! :shock:
What on earth would possess her to say anything like that in public?!?

Last edited:
Máxima and Mary had mothers-in-law who were Heads of State, from the first moment they became First Ladies, and they did not have mothers-in-law or sisters of royal blood with whom to share an agenda.

Letizia took years to take center stage, and that has been a drag ... and now the beginnings of Felipe's reign are not being easy, and she remains a secondary priority. The Spanish government is much more restrictive with international activities ... and Letizia is being more active than Sofia was.

Duke, they can simply replace one model with another, now that girls have grown up is easier. With her first official photo, the delivery of the Golden Fleece ... it is evident that Leonor is entering a more active phase of public life. This year there are high expectations of a visit to Asturias. Beyond posed for photographers, we are seeing her in public activities of more relevance to her future role.

They have to create their own model, and stop being tied to a model created by Juan Carlos and Sofia that few already share. Neither going to Marivent for a few days, nor a mass that is private but where there are photographers, nor the Mass on Easter Sunday instead of Palm Sunday (much more familiar and suitable for children) .... make sense.

If the Spanish Royal Family are devout Catholics, as I assume they are, it is expected that they would go to Mass on Easter, the most important date of the Christian calendar. Masses are public events that take place in public places, so it is understandable that there will be people cheering when they leave the church and photographers taking pictures.

I think it is a stretch to suggest that the SRF goes to church on Easter Sunday just as a publicity stunt, or to suit the needs of Queen Sofia. In any case, if it was a PR stunt, it backfired completely thanks to Letizia’s unreasonable reaction to an innocent and harmless picture.

Last edited:
What a brutality, I'm shocked... I Wonder what the presenter says

Mbruno... the Spanish monarchy can be very Catholic at home and at funerals. :shifty:

According to the Spanish Constitution, the Spanish State is non-denominational ... contrary to what happens in other monarchies, neither the Head of State is the head of the Church of the Country nor is it required by law to advocate a religion. The assistance of the Royal Family to this Mass is called private, and there is not even an official convocation.

The girls were very calm and happy, greeting people.

Last edited:
Actually the only "conflict" is between oppressive grandmother and overwhelmed granddaughter. The rest is pure fiction.

Please watch the full videos, and not the clipped video. The story is very different.

I disagree, there was some kind of interaction between Sofia and Letizia and not a pleasant one, you can see it in Sofia's face and Felipe getting involved.

Yes, Leonor was overwhelmed hence her reaction, but the 2 women are supposed to be professionals who know better.

According to the Spanish Constitution, the Spanish State is non-denominational ... contrary to what happens in other monarchies, neither the Head of State is the head of the Church of the Country nor is it required by law to advocate a religion. The assistance of the Royal Family to this Mass is called private, and there is not even an official convocation.
If it's private, I wonder why they have put it on their website as activity all these years.

Okay, I have to admit that this clip from Daily Mail, does show that Leonor does not wish to have her grandmother's hand on her: 'Tense scene' between Letizia of Spain and Queen Sofia in Mallorca | Daily Mail Online

Of course we can speculate endless as to why, so unless it happens or has happened more often, it could be caused by anything IMO.

The greek family is supports Sofia and supports Cristina, one can speculate if this is the opinion of her FIL.
From the beginning there was a bad start between Letizia and Constantine, he mocked Letizia for her bad english and didn't like Felipe's choice, maybe only voicing what his sister thought but couldn't say.

I made some screenshots of the - well incident - in order to get a better understanding of the sequence and especially the body language of those involved. As such I also included the two Kings.

https://app.box.com/s/wbc7ydhqzwl5z36pvv89cql6xco67zho

I have formed two theories as to what happened, which I'll keep to myself for the time being, suffice to say there are two persons I do not blame of anything; the girls.

ADDED: The screenshots have now been renamed, so they are chronological.

Last edited:
I disagree, there was some kind of interaction between Sofia and Letizia and not a pleasant one, you can see it in Sofia's face and Felipe getting involved.

Yes, Leonor was overwhelmed hence her reaction, but the 2 women are supposed to be professionals who know better.

I agree with you entirely DoM, it seems some here are only focusing on the video inside the cathedral, what about when they are leaving (don't have time to grow grab the link)? I don't feel there is any room for doubt that Letizia went after Sofia a second time as they were leaving, and that interaction was even more tense. And it isn't cool to involve your children in your personal drama. JMO

100% agree.

Several people I've talked to in Spain think she has an inferiority complex and thus she wants to stay like "above" everyone else,"above" everything and that includes consistently working with people.

I am not a psychologist or anything and that might be wrong but that's the vibe she's giving a lot of people in the country and that isn't good, she as a Queen cannot show those kind of weaknesses.
Not going to lie, when they visited the U.K. I did get a weird vibe from Letizia as if she was better than Charles and Camilla. Maybe it was because she never met the BRF like that. Sad that she doesn’t want to get in touch with the public in Spain. It doesn’t make sense to me. I had no idea about the sentiments about the monarchy in Spain.

I agree with you entirely DoM, it seems some here are only focusing on the video inside the cathedral, what about when they are leaving (don't have time to grow grab the link)? I don't feel there is any room for doubt that Letizia went after Sofia a second time as they were leaving, and that interaction was even more tense. And it isn't cool to involve your children in your personal drama. JMO

It looks to me that Leonor and her sister were perfectly fine taking a picture with their grandmother. Then Letizia intervened and there was a row between mother and grandmother. In the process, both mother and grandmother were touching, maybe trying to grab/push Leonor and that explains her getting uncomfortable and displaying a physical reaction. I also think that the "incident" has been blown out of proportion. Queen Sofia is not a child molester, nor Leonor was being physically abused.

What the video does show, however, is that Letizia micromanages all of her daughters' public appearances in a way that, I think, is not positive for the girls, especially now that they are already pre-teens. The British Royal Family occasionally does that too with their young. I think they should both take a clue from the Scandinavian royals, especially Victoria and Madeleine and the public appearances of their respective kids.

Letizia could have controlled herself better. How dare she to act like stung by a wasp, in public, towards Queen Sofía of Spain, a born Princess of Greece and Denmark.

But the worse was Marie-Chantal. How vulgar to lash out against Letizia in public. On Twitter nota bene...

:previous:
Kitty1224:
You got a *VIBE* from pictures, and have you checked out the current events that she has done and what organizations that she attends to? Do you actually read all the current events and places that she visits and view the videos? It is okay to not like someone for that is your opinion but to say she does not get involved with the people shows your not actually reading what she does each day and where she goes. She works very hard and is an asset to her husband's position. The videos show many different things going on and it was and is an embarrassing situation all around for *everybody*, not just Queen Letizia or Queen Sofia. We here do not know the whole story of what happened and really never will for we weren't there to view it.

After all we all are just flawed humans who make mistakes in life and even royals do that from time to time, this is not going to end the monarchy nor will the country fall apart over this. Go back in history and really read some of the antics of royal families and their friends will probably surprise you. IMHO, this is just a family spat in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It made me think about the awarding of the Order of the Golden Fleece to Doña Leonor. Letizia looked só tense. If she was a kettle, she woukd have whistled all the time because the water was boiling. I detect the same here. So in controlling mood.

It made me think about the awarding of the Order of the Golden Fleece to Doña Leonor. Letizia looked só tense. If she was a kettle, she woukd have whistled all the time because the water was boiling. I detect the same here. So in controlling mood.

In the past, I thought Letizia was intimated by Queen Sofia's "bluest of blue" royal ancestry, but, now, I don't think that is the case anymore, if it ever was. What do the Spanish posters think ?

Methinks Marie-Chantal has forgotten that while her family has been deposed and no one cares what they do or say, the Spanish royal family actually has a country to rule and the Spaniards do very much care about their royal family. Particularly when it comes to any possible gossip or strife.

A MILLION times THIS.. M-C Miller [dreadfully spoilt scion of a Billionaire] cares NOTHING for the extremely delicate position of the [ACTUALLY REIGNING] side of the family she married into, and should keep her trap SHUT, [at least in public] !

Last edited:

I agree with you Muhler about Leonor and Sofia. I think that the most astonishing thing is Marie Chantal's post. What on Earth would possess her to make a remark like that. Wow!

King Felipe and King Juan Carlos are completley caught off guard by the whole scene.

Duke, for that reason I say that the situation of the mass is absurd, private but with photos so that the press is happy and nobody criticizes that they close Marivent for Sofia. For years they spent Holy Week skiing, until Juan Carlos and Sofia became older, and Sofia moved the vacation to Palma and someone decided that the Easter Mass was the time to make the family photo.

Letizia, as on this occasion, is always criticized for every gesture she makes, there are always people willing to take everything out of context and to exaggerate it ... and against the members of the royal blood family ... she can never win. Sofia has many ugly gestures, wanting to impose a photo of her alone with the girls at a time that does not correspond... but she is forgiven. The members of blue blood can despise her without problems, but that she does not move.

I believe that it is something that she has assumed for her ... but she feels terror when the situation affects the girls or her family. The attitude of the press with other royal grandchildren has shown that they are capable of everything and that, as on this occasion, any failure of the girls will be magnified. Probably today Leonor will have had a very difficult day at school. The attitude with her family was a real hunt, recently her grandmother said that her husband's last year had been very difficult because of all that harassment, and the ex-husband describes in detail the level of the harassment.

I believe that the level of pressure has been such that she will never be able to relax fully in public.

Back
Top Bottom