Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How many times does this issue has to come around to haunt Letizia? She didn't interrupted Felipe, he interrupted her!

The video, 3:25 - This is the translation in English is this:
YouTube - Petición de Mano

The question was directed at her, she was replying and he interrupted her, not the other way around.

I thnk she looked very bad saying that to the Prince. First of all, because a person with education doesn't do that, second Felipe is a Prince and the future King of Spain, she was a commoner then. Third: now that Letizia is Prince Felipe's wife she is able to ask him for silence always they are in private.;)

I thnk she looked very bad saying that to the Prince. First of all, because a person with education doesn't do that, second Felipe is a Prince and the future King of Spain, she was a commoner then. Third: now that Letizia is Prince Felipe's wife she is able to ask him for silence always they are in private.;)
Letizia was well within her right to kindly request to be able to finish what she was saying. Felipe was clearly in the wrong. It has nothing to do with education or being a prince. I am very happy she stood her ground.

I don't think it's polite to interrupt people. Period. Just because Felipe is a prince and a future king doesn't mean he should be given an excuse to do what he did. Letizia did the correct thing by correcting him. Emily Post would agree.

IMO, it's easier to blame the commoner and not the royal.

I am sorry, but I still think is not polite what she did, period.

I am sorry, but I still think is not polite what she did, period.

Brucantuosi, would you consider it OK if Felipe had been asked a question, Letizia had interrupted while he was answering, and Felipe had then asked to finish what he was saying? Would you say that Felipe was impolite in requesting to finish his sentence, or would you consider Letizia to be rude under this scenario also?

Brucantuosi, would you consider it OK if Felipe had been asked a question, Letizia had interrupted while he was answering, and Felipe had then asked to finish what he was saying? Would you say that Felipe was impolite in requesting to finish his sentence, or would you consider Letizia to be rude under this scenario also?

Quite agree. It's easier to blame the commoners than the royals in this scenario.

When you are consort , you remain a consort.
I wonder what Juan Carlos and Sophia thought about this ??

King Juan Carlos love his grandsons since they always, seeing most of pictures I think really he prefers his grandsons to his granddaughters.
I never saw a picture of the King being close to Felipe's little girls.
( I remember the Easter pictures...)

I don't agree maria-olivia. IMO, he seems to be close to Victoria. I've always gotten the impression that he just isn't very affectionate with little kids. I think once the Infantas and Irene are a little older he'll be closer to them.

http://www.vanitatis.com/noticias/reina-infantas-compras-tranquilas-palma-eta-20090811.html

Article on Queen Sofia and the Infantas out and about. It also picks up on the inavoidable topic that the Infantas and Asturias seem to avoid each other, coincidence or on purpose, the Infantas left the island as soon as the Asturias family arrived - after they had to meet on the occasion of the funeral. Seems official events are the only occasions they meet at all, and even there greeting each other was far from cordial:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa78/ahtikavalentine/610x6-1.jpg

And just as Felipe (and his family?) left Majorca for business the Infantas return. Whether this is just the way things are scheduled or there is a rift in private that will only be concealed on official occasions I don't know but the fact that we hardly see the Asturias family and the Infantas interact on "private" occasions will fuel these rumours. In the beginning everybody, except for the King but especially Queen Sofia and the Infantas to a degree, has been very supportive of Letizia's integration but these days the support seems to have fizzled out or is non-existent.

Article on Queen Sofia and the Infantas out and about. It also picks up on the inavoidable topic that the Infantas and Asturias seem to avoid each other...

I wonder if this is the real reason that Cristina and family are moving to Washington, D.C. - a P.R. move so that the two women aren't seen together. It makes me very sad that the Spanish Royals can't put on a more united front.

Please remember that this is all speculative. If the family doesn't get along...do you think they are going to give an interview? This isn't Tori and Candy Spelling...this is the Royal Family of Spain. Do they get along all the time probably not...like most families I am sure they have their differences but surely they don't hate each other.

And if the King doesn't care for little ones but pefers older children (even his own adorable granddaughters) he wouldn't be the first. But basing a relationship (or lack of one) on a pictures that are taken in milliseconds is silly IMO. We don't see how the family interacts behind doors so its all speculation.

And why are we still talking about an interview that happened when they first got engaged. They have been married for how long...shouldn't we be moving on?

And Cristina and family are moving because of her husbands job. End of story.

Last edited:
To criticize the Princess, to speak about the Princess ... it is what gives money, is she the one that sells, and is to her the press gives an unjust treatment. But she is the one that is where she must be and when she must be. In the last days, already they have exposed and risked enough, she, her husband and her daughters.

The Prince does now the same vacations that when he was single, adjusting to his official commitments. They are the Infantas who have changing, fleeing in the moments of public exhibition and enjoying palace and yachts when there is tranquility. I do not know if the Infantas want to avoid the Prince, Letizia, or the exhibition that to be near them provokes. But I believe that they are not behaving well, forgetting which are their commitments and responsibilities as Infantas, but enjoying the privileges.

It is supposed that the Infantas are adult and responsible women, and to blame Letizia of their decisions is absurd enough.

In the last days, already they have exposed and risked enough, she, her husband and her daughters.
i agree, although the cathedral was a lovely location, the interaction with people (requested by zarzuela demonstrate that the SRF is fearless?), especially the tourist group, was a bit much almost scary, there is a picture where letizia seems concerned about the approach what i can fully understand.
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Aug2009/PPE09080522.jpg

I do not know if the Infantas want to avoid the Prince, Letizia, or the exhibition that to be near them provokes. But I believe that they are not behaving well, forgetting which are their commitments and responsibilities as Infantas, but enjoying the privileges. It is supposed that the Infantas are adult and responsible women, and to blame Letizia of their decisions is absurd enough.

that's exactly what i wanted to say, the infantas' behaviour / timing / decisions / body language is bound to provoke questions, they must be aware but don't seem to bother fuelling speculations (the king doesn't seem to bother, either). there could be a much better family discipline in that sense.

King Juan Carlos love his grandsons since they always, seeing most of pictures I think really he prefers his grandsons to his granddaughters.
I never saw a picture of the King being close to Felipe's little girls.
( I remember the Easter pictures...)
Many grandparents I know have an easier time bonding with their daughters children, or being more at ease with them, unless the sons have the grandchildren first, so the relationship is already established by the time the daughters children come along. It could be the reason that the king seems more at ease with his daughters kids, than his son's.

It's not uncommon for men to be more comfortable around older kids than very young ones.

I wonder if this is the real reason that Cristina and family are moving to Washington, D.C. - a P.R. move so that the two women aren't seen together. It makes me very sad that the Spanish Royals can't put on a more united front.

I seriously doubt Letizia has so much power to 'kick' Cristina and her family abroad :cool:. They don't live under the same roof, not even in the same city, now Cristina's official acts with the Kings and Asturias are very rare, they don't have to see each other if they don't want to.
Inaki's business has been 'shipped' abroad since 2006 when he became the Latin American counselor for telefonica. Moving his family to Washington D.C. shortens his constant trips to the North/South American continents and enables him to spend more time with his family.

And just as Felipe (and his family?) left Majorca for business the Infantas return. Whether this is just the way things are scheduled or there is a rift in private that will only be concealed on official occasions I don't know but the fact that we hardly see the Asturias family and the Infantas interact on "private" occasions will fuel these rumours. In the beginning everybody, except for the King but especially Queen Sofia and the Infantas to a degree, has been very supportive of Letizia's integration but these days the support seems to have fizzled out or is non-existent.

It has been 5 years, there is no need for the Queen continueing to have Letizia under her wings, Letizia pretty much can stand on her own. Both infantas have gradually reduced their public acts, it's not the first year they didn't show up in Mallorca during the King's cup. Of course, there were always a few journalists who liked to criticize this one or that one, but in general, the mainstream press hasn't made a big deal (unlike in 2005 the press was panic when Felipe didn't compete). For the Queen, it's understandable if she wants to spend as much time with her daughter and her family before they move to DC. Their stay abroad will be longer than what had been said in the press IMO. I just don't see Inaki will be doing business in Spain in any near future.

http://www.vanitatis.com/noticias/reina-infantas-compras-tranquilas-palma-eta-20090811.html

Article on Queen Sofia and the Infantas out and about. It also picks up on the inavoidable topic that the Infantas and Asturias seem to avoid each other, coincidence or on purpose, the Infantas left the island as soon as the Asturias family arrived - after they had to meet on the occasion of the funeral. Seems official events are the only occasions they meet at all, and even there greeting each other was far from cordial:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa78/ahtikavalentine/610x6-1.jpg
Considering they were attending a funeral for victims of a terrorist attack it would hardly have been appropriate for them to indulge in over the top displays of affection.

I can just imagine how much criticism Letizia would receive on this board if she had been pictured smiling or laughing with Cristina.

Considering they were attending a funeral for victims of a terrorist attack it would hardly have been appropriate for them to indulge in over the top displays of affection.

I can just imagine how much criticism Letizia would receive on this board if she had been pictured smiling or laughing with Cristina.

There are tons of pictures like these out there if you go through this threat that show the same non-affection, even on happy events.

That's true. However, it is possible for two people to show warmth and affection toward each other without smiling and laughing.

El Semanal Digital=
http://www.semana.es/Imagenes/portada3638.gif

Spanish media is picking up on the tension between the Infantas and Letizia. Considering that royals in general usually pull off a good acting performance to make people believe all is well even when it is not, for their own sake, it remains telling that the Infantas are unwilling to do for some time now. After her separation Elena is now clearly closing ranks with her sister in Washington and not with her sister-in-law in Madrid.

Both parties avoid each other where they can and even if they are forced to attend the same event there is not the slightest affection or warmth towards each other. Nobody is expected to love their in-laws but even a jovial "how are you doing" feeling is missing, and that is quite telling for royals = professional actors.

Not sure if any of the readers saw the article in the Sunday Times (30 Aug) about the strained relationship between the Infantas and the Crown Princess. The article refers to a strained relationship, with few words exchanged between. It was suggested in the article that the Queen is a supporter of the Crown Princess, if nothing else, as a way of keeping intact her relationship with Felipe.

Not sure if any of the readers saw the article in the Sunday Times (30 Aug) about the strained relationship between the Infantas and the Crown Princess. The article refers to a strained relationship, with few words exchanged between. It was suggested in the article that the Queen is a supporter of the Crown Princess, if nothing else, as a way of keeping intact her relationship with Felipe.

In which section can this be found muriel? Thanks, in advance.

I'm starting to think that the problem they are having, if there is one, is that by marrying, Felipe has thrown the family relationships into a tailspin.

With their father's health problems and the advancing age of their parents and Felipe marrying later rather than sooner, they have had to put Letizia on the fast track to the head of the family line. She didn't have the luxury years to find her natural place in their family. The infantas may feel shoved to the side.

They have grown up knowing how their lives were going to pan out but it wasn't until Felipe married that everyone's "jobs" changed in degrees of importance. That must be tough to deal with.

Letizia is now in the position of having a husband who is going to be king and a daughter who will someday be queen and the pressure to succeed at this must be incredible.

I'm starting to think that the problem they are having, if there is one, is that by marrying, Felipe has thrown the family relationships into a tailspin.

With their father's health problems and the advancing age of their parents and Felipe marrying later rather than sooner, they have had to put Letizia on the fast track to the head of the family line. She didn't have the luxury years to find her natural place in their family. The infantas may feel shoved to the side.

They have grown up knowing how their lives were going to pan out but it wasn't until Felipe married that everyone's "jobs" changed in degrees of importance. That must be tough to deal with.

Letizia is now in the position of having a husband who is going to be king and a daughter who will someday be queen and the pressure to succeed at this must be incredible.

The article was short on details, but you could be right. This is often the situation in many a wealthy and prominent family (and more so in the case of a royal family) where the birth princesses are going to feel left out when the crown prince marries, and the new crown princess takes on the limelight.

In which section can this be found muriel? Thanks, in advance.

It was in the main body of the newspaper (second last page). You will be able to see it on the website of The Times if you pay to access it.

The article was short on details, but you could be right. This is often the situation in many a wealthy and prominent family (and more so in the case of a royal family) where the birth princesses are going to feel left out when the crown prince marries, and the new crown princess takes on the limelight.
I agree. There is always a certain amount of jealousy in all families [rich or poor, royal or non-royal]. It is just a fact of life. Some people feel slighted by a new family member taking the center of attention away from them. Others resent their parents giving the new family member love [which prior was theirs alone] It happens all the time. Some husbands even get that way when their wives show their new borns unconditional love as they feel it is taking some time and love away fom them. It just has to run it course. In the end, the jealous person will never win. They just have to get over it and realize that the world and their family was not created just for them. Its a control thing. Actually I have seen this more in average families than in the wealthy.

Back
Top Bottom