Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As for the future of his marriage... it is still early days. Let's see what happens in a few years time. After all this, he may as well follow his father's footsteps.....
Anyway, I do not wish this. May they live happily ever after and then we can all have a nice ending to the fairy tale....

As Felipe said in his wedding speech, to marry with love and emotions has always been one of his goals in life. It certainly gave him hope to begin a new life (you can't have no hope in life). The black opal ring Felipe gave to Letizia for her first birthday after the wedding said it all, 'loyalty and full of hope for the future'. Whether the love will last life time, only time can tell. A couple can grow towards each other after the marriage, they can also grow apart, one partner outgrows the other during the long journey, it happens everywhere.
Felipe is in a very lonely position, he could as well be a very lonely man before his marriage. I would rather see him with Letizia than those pijos he used to hang out so much before the marriage.
On the rumors of the King's friends leaking out his private words on his son's marriage to the press, if any truth to it, it shows one more time that money and power doesn't buy loyalty and class :eek:. Shame on his friends, who probably were angry that Felipe didn't marry one of their daughters or nieces.

She has learned some lessons, particularly after she was "muffled" right at the start when she interrupted Prince Felipe and tried to conduct an interview...!!!!

How many times does this issue has to come around to haunt Letizia? She didn't interrupted Felipe, he interrupted her!

The video, 3:25 - This is the translation in English is this:
YouTube - Petición de Mano

Letizia: Well, principally, since the announcement of the engagement and since today, the asking of the hand, it is clear that this is a point in the professional work I was exercising until now. What I wish, what we intend to do is that I'll slowly leave TVE, not immediately. And it's also clear that from now on and in a progressive way, I'm going to intigrate and dedicate myself to this new life, well, with the responsibilities and obligations that go with it and with the support and affection of...

Felipe wants to interfere.

Letizia:
... Let me finish... The affection of the King and Queen and of course after the priceless example of the Queen.
The question was directed at her, she was replying and he interrupted her, not the other way around.

Well, in my opinion the Prince had obligations he did not fulfil.

Well, in my opinion, JC had a marrital oath that he didn't withhold. An oath he said in a Catholic church. Which one is worse???

If Felipe follows his father's footstep by marrying a royal/noble woman and having mistresses on the side, who says the wife will not be another Diana? How much damage will a Diana do to Spanish monarchy?

So I do understand the critics because it does say something about a person to get married and change one's mind only a bit later and I don't want to speculate about the reasons what actually changed Letizia's mind.

Since neither she nor her ex ever discussed the reason for their divorce, I wonder why you automatically assume it's Letizia who changed her mind? Ain't we a bit past the time blaming the "fickless woman"?

To me it is very obvious that Cristina and Elena are not best friends of Letizia, to me that is very obvious, but the fact remains that even if they are not best friends they could be friends ate least, but to me that is also a very distance possibility. Elena and Letizia have two beautiful children almous from teh same age, when we saw pcitures of both girls we never saw them playing or running after each other, some normal things, never!! We have never saw them speaking to each other, not a single photo this summer, to me that is very obvious and that means something. I don't consider that Elena is jelaous of Letizia, Elena is a part of the Royal family, she always was and Letizia come later, of course the attentions are always on Letizia, but for Elena maybe that is good for her, the attentions are always on Leonor and Sofia and not on her little daugther, maybe a bit jealous yes but do you think that is all??No I think that there is something more but we will never know!!​

How many times does this issue has to come around to haunt Letizia? She didn't interrupted Felipe, he interrupted her!

The video, 3:25 - This is the translation in English is this:
YouTube - Petición de Mano

The question was directed at her, she was replying and he interrupted her, not the other way around.

Thanks Anna R, it's funny because I too always have to remind myself that it actually was the other way around. I think it comes as this engagement presentation was different to most others, where the new member (the future crown princess) showed off a very low key attitude, speaking calmly and only speaking when being asked. This was very different with Letizia, speaking all the time in a very self assured manner - obviously her true character - while Felipe struggled to have his say, and coming across as very bossy. When Felipe interrupted her and she came up with her famous quote his reaction was very childish, giggling like a silly teenager and one could assume that he will be transformed into a hen-pecked husband :eek: So it got stuck in people's minds that she somehow interrupted him as she totally dominated the situation. At least this is how I feel :)

To me it is very obvious that Cristina and Elena are not best friends of Letizia, to me that is very obvious, but the fact remains that even if they are not best friends they could be friends ate least, but to me that is also a very distance possibility. Elena and Letizia have two beautiful children almous from teh same age, when we saw pcitures of both girls we never saw them playing or running after each other, some normal things, never!! We have never saw them speaking to each other, not a single photo this summer, to me that is very obvious and that means something. I don't consider that Elena is jelaous of Letizia, Elena is a part of the Royal family, she always was and Letizia come later, of course the attentions are always on Letizia, but for Elena maybe that is good for her, the attentions are always on Leonor and Sofia and not on her little daugther, maybe a bit jealous yes but do you think that is all??No I think that there is something more but we will never know!!​

I assume you were talking about Cristina, not Elena, since Victoria Federica and Leonor are obvously not close in age. ;)

I'm not saying everything you said is not possible or correct, but remember that Leonor & Irene live in different cities, they don't interact with each other too much, so they are somewhat 'strangers' for each other.

On the other hand Victoria Federica and Felipe Froilán, who live in Madrid, seem to be very close with their little cousin, both are protective of her and Leonor seems to be at ease with them as well. :)

Last edited:
I assume you were talking about Cristina, not Elena, since Victoria Federica and Leonor are obvously not close in age. ;)
Yes!:flowers:

Avalon said:
I'm not saying everything you said is not possible or correct, but remember that Leonor & Irene live in different cities, they don't interact with each other too much, so they are somewhat 'strangers' for each other. :)
Yes I have not mentioned that but it is most likely that they don't know each other very well, they are most of the time far from each other! Although I think that it is rather strange that we have never seen, this summer, photos of these two together and playing sometimes! Leonor seams to be a very happy baby so I think that she would interact with her cousin with no problem!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is the most funny one about the Spain Royal Family. Everybody, on the same basis, are doing extrapolation regarding their taught, may be only to write or say something. It's the less documented thread and mainly the expression of the feeling of those who write their posts.

Like that we can invented all the stories that we want, even we can rebuilt totally the Felipe and Letizia 's story!!!!!

Well, the discussion isn´t only in the thoughts of posters here but a topic in the Spanish media. That makes it relevant for this thread and we are able to discuss it.

But I agree with you in thinking that the bad relations between the King and his daughter-in-law are mostly the results of unfounded newsreports and not based on facts. But still, that is only a thought to and that too is something which I can not prove.

Well, in my opinion, JC had a marrital oath that
Originally Posted by Lady Griffin
Well, in my opinion the Prince had obligations he did not fulfil.

he didn't withhold. An oath he said in a Catholic church. Which one is worse???

If Felipe follows his father's footstep by marrying a royal/noble woman and having mistresses on the side, who says the wife will not be another Diana? How much damage will a Diana do to Spanish monarchy?

The law of equal royal marriage has been abolished in Spain. Felipe had no obligation to marry a royal bride by the law. As long as his marriage was approved by the King and the Spanish government, his obligations had been fulfilled, the rest is only subjective opinions on liking his choice of wife or not.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but if the government and the King had not liked Felipe's choice for a wife, could Felipe have married and kept the title?

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but if the government and the King had not liked Felipe's choice for a wife, could Felipe have married and kept the title?

Not, neither he nor his sisters.

The Royal Household of His Majesty the King_ Welcome

Those persons with a right of succession to the Throne who marry against the express prohibition of the King and the Cortes Generales, shall be excluded from succession to the Crown, as shall their descendants.

Though it is logical, in order that this opposition exists or the Parliament intervenes, they have to give circumstances. There has to be a serious reason, like for example that the person there are broken the laws or something similar, not only because they like someone or not. ;)

I recall a moment from the goodbye dinner in Palma this year and I am not sure if it is captured on a pic or if it is just on video (maybe crisinaki knows?)

I am talking about the moment when Cristina walks past her father. For a few seconds he pinches her arm very affectionately and both are beaming. It's just a small gesture but it shows how close and caring Cristina and King Juan Carlos are.

There is a documentary book in Spanish "La soledad del Rey' - ("loneleness of the King') enough big book about the role of JC in the modern Spanish society. And there is an information there that the marriage of Felipe and Letizia was organised by political group close to JC because it was a good chnace to refresh the monarchy in the modern world, but then they understood that it was a big mistake. Well, if it's really a truth SRF can have good polite relations with letizia but not really warm and sincere.

This type of gossips pass for being surrealistic, is never the well-read one many commentaries on this book, but this never.:lol: A thing is that in certain sectors it was considered a positive that the Prince should not force to marry a woman of the "royalty" and other one that they were choosing him a woman, who seems that you want to say to us.

The two infantas, Elena and Cristina, get along very well. Seeing the pictures from their last holidays, they were always together with their respective families. There is a strain, however, between them and Letizia. The Queen, being the great mother and grandmother she is, had to divide herself, between being with her daughter in law and girls and with her other part of the family.
Still, despite being royals, they are human beings too, so bound to happen things that some agree, others don´t, like in most normal households.

The certain thing is that the Infantas have joined in the last years and for their children, 5 years ago it was strange to see them united if it was not with their parents. I do not believe that the Queen has to divide, betwen other things because the frequency with the one that sees the members of her family is different; she can see the Princes and their daughters every day because they live to few meters of distance .... while she sees to her daughters and her other grandchildren in weekends or vacations.

I have read that Letizia has problems with Juan Carlos and Cristina. It´s difficult to know If is true.

Ultimately we'' never know if there are "problems", however having seen recent photos, Letizia seems to get along perfectly well with Elena, Jaime and the King.

The only person who has a problem with Letizia it seems is Cristina and imo it's a one-sided problem. It shows a very negative side and petty side to Cristina's character that I never imagine her possessing before. Her behaviour towards Letizia really disappoints me.

Ultimately we'' never know if there are "problems", however having seen recent photos, Letizia seems to get along perfectly well with Elena, Jaime and the King.

The only person who has a problem with Letizia it seems is Cristina and imo it's a one-sided problem. It shows a very negative side and petty side to Cristina's character that I never imagine her possessing before. Her behaviour towards Letizia really disappoints me.

what does cristina do to show her negative side towards Letizia??
I dont know a great deal about the spanish royal family.

what does cristina do to show her negative side towards Letizia??
I dont know a great deal about the spanish royal family.
In various photoshoots people have said that Cristina has been very cool towards Letizia and that therefore there must be a problem with their relationship.

Letizia gets along very well with the Queen, I think the other family members have left her to her own devices, to bond with the Queen since she's her predecessor, right?

I think it has more to do with the future state of things than any personal issue, besides Letizia is a bit like the Queen, a person who doesn't have many close friends

Elena and Cristina behave almost equally when it comes to Letizia, they aren't close but I don't see a huge rift either, it's a normal thing in all families, some members get along awesomely others don't

or have we seen Jaime and Iñaki getting chummy? they get along just fine, it's just that they aren't close 'cuz they are very different ;)

Duke of Marmalade said:
I recall a moment from the goodbye dinner in Palma this year and I am not sure if it is captured on a pic or if it is just on video (maybe crisinaki knows?)

I am talking about the moment when Cristina walks past her father. For a few seconds he pinches her arm very affectionately and both are beaming. It's just a small gesture but it shows how close and caring Cristina and King Juan Carlos are.

I know what you're talking about, I'll look for it on my things ;)

Cristina is the youngest daughter, so I guess, she's the apple of her father's eye :)

Last edited:
Letizia gets along very well with the Queen, I think the other family members have left her to her own devices, to bond with the Queen since she's her predecessor, right?

I think it has more to do with the future state of things than any personal issue, besides Letizia is a bit like the Queen, a person who doesn't have many close friends

The Queen had been betrayed by some Spanish aristocrats during her early days in Spain, she decided to cut ties with them. Letizia has some close friends from CNN or TVE. Since her friends are mostly ordinary and discreet people even if some are hight profile journalists such as the Milas or Alex Grijelmo García , we haven't heard much about their stories. I heard Elena or Crisitna rarely made any friends at school or work, perhaps because of their position or the influence from their mother, but their brother Felipe seems different.
Whether the sister-in-laws are friends or not are not important at all (Queen Sofia and Infanta Pilar have never been friends) as long as they don't show bitter feelings towards each other at official acts.

Last edited:
I think we can only talk about what we see, and so far we have seen only very few pictures of the three ladys together and almoust none of them talking and chating! Maybe sometimes do out for a dinner together, maybe going out with all the cousins has we have seen a few days ago, but we havent' seen them chating and having a friendly conversation and photographers cacht almoust everything. To me they don't get along very well, they could chat the essenttialy but not more than that!They are not good friends.
Letizia and the Queen yes they are good friends!They live close to each other, Letizia has give two lovely grandaugthers to the Queen adn it seams that Letizia let the Queen take care of Leonor sometimes and that's good!

It's obvious that Letizia and Queen Sofia get along well with each other but I think it's not only this fairy tale daughter in law & mother in law match in heaven as some coverage suggests but has a lot to do with the future of the monarchy. It's part of Queen Sofia's job to give utmost support to the Princess of Asturias in order to strengthen her position as future Queen. It's in both women's interest to get along well and given both have a very professional attitude, being able to but Spain first and personal issues behind, it works out well. It's kind of combining business with pleasure as Queen Sofia doesn't have too many close friends, as stated earlier. I believe there is a true affection but even if there wasn't I don't believe it would show in public.

Elena and Cristina behave almost equally when it comes to Letizia, they aren't close but I don't see a huge rift either, it's a normal thing in all families, some members get along awesomely others don't

From the pics I see a much closer relation to Elena & Jaime. There has not been any warm gesture beween the Palma couple and the Asturias couple for a long time, if they attend the same events there is Cristina on one side as far apart from Letizia as protocol allows; if they had to stand together Cristina gave Letizia an outch look at at least two or three occasions. Don't know why and what happened but at least I see in those pictures that something is not working between those two couples. On private occasions, in Majorca or at the zoo there is not even a single picture that shows both women together, with or without their daughters, who are the same age.
or have we seen Jaime and Iñaki getting chummy? they get along just fine, it's just that they aren't close 'cuz they are very different ;)

Men are different, aren't they ;) they don't get too emotional or make a fuss. Even if there is dissens they are still able to have a beer together :lol:

The Queen and Letizia and genuinely good friends, they like each other. They don't make an effort to get along (imo).
About Letizia relationship with Cristian and Elena... I don't say they are enemies or they hate each other, but I think there are some grugdes between them.
I've never seen Máxima chatting a lot with Laurentien but from the pictures I think they get along very well. In official events they stay close to each other, they smile at each other, they feel comfortable together. I don't see this between Cristina and Letizia. It seems to me there is always something, like a wall, between those two.

Back
Top Bottom