Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry once again...just have a look at these pics...that marriage is losing more and more..........

Why? Only because of some photos or videos? That's not a proof.

Why? Only because of some photos or videos? That's not a proof.
What pictures and video does she mean? I really don't find anything weird in the photos or videos I've seen :ermm:

Why always Letizia ? Felipe could be the one having issues with his own family, especially his father who is the real control freak of the family (not Letizia for sure IMO). King's camp haven't been too thrilled about Felipe's actively involvement with the duties when the King was not healthy last year, they have been compaining that he was overly exposed, it should be 'more king, less prince', I guess we are going to see that this year :cool:.
Anyway I saw Felipe has been more enthusiastic about his own acts than tagging along his father's, which is perfectly understandable for a man his age.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/1482/108023271.jpg
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1488/108023288.jpg
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4024/92942d1294991627losreye.jpg

I've also read more than once that Felipe has a complicated relationship with his father because he doesn't agree with the way the King has sometimes treated Sofía.
In any case, I don't see how any problems Juan Carlos may have with Letizia (something we've never seen in public, it's just suppositions and hearsay) could affect their marriage too badly. Many persons have problems with their in-laws and couples everywhere survive it ;)

What pictures and video does she mean? I really don't find anything weird in the photos or videos I've seen :ermm:

Maybe these when Felipe and Letizia aren't smile to each other or turn their head on different ways or maybe rumours on yellow papers
or something like that I suppose...:whistling: Who knows?
Btw AnaC I don't find them too.

Last edited:
Why always Letizia ? Felipe could be the one having issues with his own family, especially his father who is the real control freak of the family (not Letizia for sure IMO). King's camp haven't been too thrilled about Felipe's actively involvement with the duties when the King was not healthy last year, they have been compaining that he was overly exposed, it should be 'more king, less prince', I guess we are going to see that this year :cool:.
Anyway I saw Felipe has been more enthusiastic about his own acts than tagging along his father's, which is perfectly understandable for a man his age.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/1482/108023271.jpg
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1488/108023288.jpg
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4024/92942d1294991627losreye.jpg

I do not believe that King Juan Carlos is a control freak because he has Letizia in the family and ... after Don Felipe had been expected to marry a princess of some kind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also read more than once that Felipe has a complicated relationship with his father because he doesn't agree with the way the King has sometimes treated Sofía.
In any case, I don't see how any problems Juan Carlos may have with Letizia (something we've never seen in public, it's just suppositions and hearsay) could affect their marriage too badly. Many persons have problems with their in-laws and couples everywhere survive it ;)

Perhaps I didn't make myself clearly in the previous post. I thought Felipe looked more serious and quieter than the last two events with his parents than his own events with Letizia. If he was not in good mood, I don't think it had anything to do with Letizia, more likely due to the disagreements with his father recently IMO. During the last month or so, King's camp had been criticizing him grabbing too much spotlight due to his father's illness.

This article confirmed many things I thought of the family.
original: Más Rey, menos Príncipe - La Nueva España - Diario Independiente de Asturias
translated: Google Translate

I do not believe that King Juan Carlos is a control freak because he has Letizia in the family and ... after Don Felipe had been expected to marry a princess of some kind.

That's his personality, nothing to do with Letizia or anyone else.

Last edited:
I wonder what sort of a relationship the King has with his two sisters?

We rarely ever see them all together,their almost never present at Official Dinners or during State Visits. An example is Princess Astrid of Norway (The Kings older sister) is nearly always present during Norwegian State Visits & Gala Dinners,but in Spain we never see the older Infantas & very rarely either of the King's daughters.Its always The King,Queen,Prince & Princess,which is very boring .....

I find the Spanish Royal Family strange in that respect.

I wonder what sort of a relationship the King has with his two sisters?

We rarely ever see them all together,their almost never present at Official Dinners or during State Visits. An example is Princess Astrid of Norway (The Kings older sister) is nearly always present during Norwegian State Visits & Gala Dinners,but in Spain we never see the older Infantas & very rarely either of the King's daughters.Its always The King,Queen,Prince & Princess,which is very boring .....

I find the Spanish Royal Family strange in that respect.

I think they all know their place and get along well in that sense. Juan Carlos chose Infanta Margarita as his walker when attending his son's wedding. He could have chosen somebody else, eg Letizia's mother but he didnt.

Sofia seems to be quite close to her SILs. They attend cultural events together from time to time and both sisters openly backed Sofia's controversial conservative views published in her biography.

I think they all know their place and get along well in that sense. Juan Carlos chose Infanta Margarita as his walker when attending his son's wedding. He could have chosen somebody else, eg Letizia's mother but he didnt.

Sofia seems to be quite close to her SILs. They attend cultural events together from time to time and both sisters openly backed Sofia's controversial conservative views published in her biography.

Thanks for your reply Duke

The King walked with the Infanta Pilar at Felipe's Wedding,Margarita walked with her husband,but that was 7 years ago :D

We do often see Queen Sofia with Pilar & Sofia,but very rarely The King.I just found it odd that he never invites them to Royal events & why is it always The King,Queen,Prince & Princess.I can't remember the last time I saw Elena either at a Gala Dinner in honour of a Foreign dignitary or Royal guest.

When you look at other Royal Families they don't exclude the older members (eg Princess Lillian of Sweden up until recently,Pss Astrid of Norway ect)

I just find that rather strange that the Infantas are almost never present at Gala's/Banquets ect!

Thanks for your reply Duke

The King walked with the Infanta Pilar at Felipe's Wedding,Margarita walked with her husband,but that was 7 years ago :D

We do often see Queen Sofia with Pilar & Sofia,but very rarely The King.I just found it odd that he never invites them to Royal events & why is it always The King,Queen,Prince & Princess.I can't remember the last time I saw Elena either at a Gala Dinner in honour of a Foreign dignitary or Royal guest.

When you look at other Royal Families they don't exclude the older members (eg Princess Lillian of Sweden up until recently,Pss Astrid of Norway ect)

I just find that rather strange that the Infantas are almost never present at Gala's/Banquets ect!

Sorry I had a typo, meant Pilar of course. I think Kings & Princes are core SRF, doesnt have to do something with relations, just the way its being done, focus on the most important ones. I dont think we will see much more of Elena or Cristina with Felipe as King. M&P only appear when personal relations to guests come into play or personal interest related to a specific cause.

It remains to be seen if this policy can be upheld once the Kings are too old or gone with F&L the only core members available for events, Leonor & Sofia still to young for duty.

Sorry I had a typo, meant Pilar of course. I think Kings & Princes are core SRF, doesnt have to do something with relations, just the way its being done, focus on the most important ones. I dont think we will see much more of Elena or Cristina with Felipe as King. M&P only appear when personal relations to guests come into play or personal interest related to a specific cause.

It remains to be seen if this policy can be upheld once the Kings are too old or gone with F&L the only core members available for events, Leonor & Sofia still to young for duty.

Again thanks for your reply.

I think thats a pity,just keeping events limited to The King,Queen,Prince & Princess is rather boring .Can you imagine The British Queen just inviting Philip,Charles & Camilla to state events & ignoring the rest of the royal Family.

Its still very odd to me :sad:

When JC ascended to the throne, he (some said it was Sofia's idea, but I'm not sure about it) excluded his two sisters from the royal family, he only wanted the royal family to include his wife and kids (I think Charles also likes this idea). Infanta Pilar and Margarita are only members of the King's family, not royal family. Now it's too late to change the rule for Elena or Cristina in the future when Felipe becomes King.

When JC ascended to the throne, he (some said it was Sofia's idea, but I'm not sure about it) excluded his two sisters from the royal family, he only wanted the royal family to include his wife and kids (I think Charles also likes this idea). Infanta Pilar and Margarita are only members of the King's family, not royal family. Now it's too late to change the rule for Elena or Cristina in the future when Felipe becomes King.

I'm not doubting you but I've never heard that before.The Infantas Pilar & Margarita did their fair share of attending official functions/gala dinners at the Palace when the King's children were younger.

Both of his sisters are excluded from the Spanish Succession as they renounced their rights prior to marriage.

I have no doubt that you are right and that Cristina & Elena will stop being members of the SRF when Felipe becomes King, even more so since their relation seems strained. But on the other hand, it will be impossible to keep up with the current amount of events when JC is gone (thats a fact when Felipe is King) and the Queen very likely too old to be an active member. At least 20 years will pass until Leonor will resume duties after finishing her education, thats a long time. And who knows what type Sofia will be, embracing duty or being rather reluctant, wanting her own life. Not sure a one-couple-show will be enough to keep things going at the same pace the public and media are used to these days. Having to slow down is never a good thing.

I have no doubt that you are right and that Cristina & Elena will stop being members of the SRF when Felipe becomes King, even more so since their relation seems strained. But on the other hand, it will be impossible to keep up with the current amount of events when JC is gone (thats a fact when Felipe is King) and the Queen very likely too old to be an active member. At least 20 years will pass until Leonor will resume duties after finishing her education, thats a long time. And who knows what type Sofia will be, embracing duty or being rather reluctant, wanting her own life. Not sure a one-couple-show will be enough to keep things going at the same pace the public and media are used to these days. Having to slow down is never a good thing.

Very good points Duke.

Exactly a one couple is more or less The President & his Wife!

Other Royal families don't just rely on the The Monarch/Consort/Crown Prince/Princess they involve the other siblings too.

Personally I've become very bored with The Spanish Royal Family & the same old routine of The King,Queen,Prince & Princess,I'm pretty sure I'm not alone there either!

Duke, they don't have to keep up with the exact number of events they have right now. Likely Felipe and Letizia would have more individual events. I also think Sofia will be good for at least 15 years like her greek cousin in England. If not, Elena and Cristina might step in for some events that belonged to their mom (ex. Sofia's foundation). Thus I don't think Felipe, Letizia and Sofia would do less than JC, Sofia, Pilar and Margarita when Felipe and the infantas were still kids.

Thanks for your responses, everybody :flowers:

I just thought that they have taken on an immense agenda in the past years, be present everywhere in order to make yourself indespensable. Its a strategy that is being upheld by 2 couples plus Infantas here and there. Depending on what happens with the Kings, especially with Sofia, it would have to be reduced significantly - I dont think that JC, Sofia and Kings' sisters did remotely as many events as today when Felipe and his sisters were unable to perform duty - times & media have changed.

This is a very interesting thread!

I really wish the Infantas were more 'involved' with Royal Functions/Visits & showed us a more united Royal Family,then rumours of a 'royal rift' would soon vanish.I don't know who's to blame,The King for allowing this to happen or the Infantas for not being more active for the Royal Family.If they don't want that role they should give up the title of Infanta de España!!

I do think the role the Infantas play in the Royal Family is vital & when the King does pass away they should do more to aid their brother & support him in his role as Monarch.

Well that's just my thoughts :)

Well is her choice. Maybe she wanted to be only with her children and grandchildren. Where is the guilt of the KJuan-Carlos or QSofia or Letizia?:ermm:

I wonder if Pilar is the 'bossy older sister' ?

Makes one wonder of the so called tension between the two whether it does/still/ or doesn't exist. They seemed to be happy in each others presence & they were able to make one the other smile & giggle.

Or if it was only invented by the media!

It was too obvious to be a rumour :p

But at some point it gets damaging and there are adults involved who need to pull themselves together for the sake of the common goal, holding on to the throne.

Very likely the tension has cooled down with Cristina in WDC and Elena leading her own life as single in combination with the excellent acting skills of the SRF.

History repeating itself ?

The King & his father had a very strained relationship!

I hope its not true.

That's pretty much Paloma Barrientos on attack again (too predictable) after the blunders she made for the Easter. She is not a royal insider, I doubt she knows the most intimate details inside Zarzuela. In fact, she couldn't even got the most basic right. How is it possible the King or Zarzuela didn't know where the Princes went on their private holiday ? The Princes usually brought 4 bodyguards, those bodyguards need to report back to their boss in the security department.
On the other hand, Felipe and JC have never been close, mainly because of mom Sofia. It's well known that Felipe didn't like how his mom being treated by his father.

I believe neither of the King's sisters attended the family gathering on Christmas Eve at Zarzuela again this year.Given with whats going on I can understand their absence this year.The Infanta Pilar also didn't attend last year & stayed with her children & grandchildren at her own Madrid residence.

The last time I saw a photo of the King with either of his sisters was at Don Miguels First Holy Communion last summer & that was a group family photo!

Back
Top Bottom