Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm starting to think that the problem they are having, if there is one, is that by marrying, Felipe has thrown the family relationships into a tailspin.

With their father's health problems and the advancing age of their parents and Felipe marrying later rather than sooner, they have had to put Letizia on the fast track to the head of the family line. She didn't have the luxury years to find her natural place in their family. The infantas may feel shoved to the side.

They have grown up knowing how their lives were going to pan out but it wasn't until Felipe married that everyone's "jobs" changed in degrees of importance. That must be tough to deal with.

Letizia is now in the position of having a husband who is going to be king and a daughter who will someday be queen and the pressure to succeed at this must be incredible.

I dont think that there is any jealousy going on from Cristina and Elenas side, they have grown up knowing what would happen when their brother gets married, it was always clear that his wife would take position within the core family. Once Felipe is King the Infantas wont be family members anymore in terms of SRF website, just like the present King's sisters.

What I do think is that that there is a clash of personalities, judging from the attitude that we all could see on media presentation and engagement day ("Let me finish" and turning the back to the Kings and letting them wait while chatting to the mass media), Letizia went into the family as if she already knew everything while in reality she knew nothing. Its easy to see that she annoyed a lot of people, most likely the Infantas among them, what made transition difficult. Here I am and I am going to show you how it works (the impression of the early days) is not the best way to become a family member. Letizia has the superior position but its always a matter of how things are being handled and its not difficult for Zarzuela insiders to let the outsider out in the rain in a subtile way.
Until today, Letizia may still have the superior position but we all can see how she was cut back and "made fit" by the grey men in Zarzuela, her original type of personality clearly wasnt welcome, what has probably caused major frustration with her and Felipe while the Infantas have both, the privileges and their own lifes.

I think they simply dont like each other but have learned to put on a show in public, what not only suits everyone but is necessary for the future of the monarchy.

I dont think that there is any jealousy going on from Cristina and Elenas side, they have grown up knowing what would happen when their brother gets married, it was always clear that his wife would take position within the core family. Once Felipe is King the Infantas wont be family members anymore in terms of SRF website, just like the present King's sisters.

But when it actually changed, they might find it hard to take. Elena probably had less an issue, however Cristina seemed really enjoy the attention, liked her public duties, it wouldn't be easy for her for sure IMO.

What I do think is that that there is a clash of personalities, judging from the attitude that we all could see on media presentation and engagement day ("Let me finish" and turning the back to the Kings and letting them wait while chatting to the mass media), Letizia went into the family as if she already knew everything while in reality she knew nothing. Its easy to see that she annoyed a lot of people, most likely the Infantas among them, what made transition difficult. Here I am and I am going to show you how it works (the impression of the early days) is not the best way to become a family member. Letizia has the superior position but its always a matter of how things are being handled and its not difficult for Zarzuela insiders to let the outsider out in the rain in a subtile way.
Until today, Letizia may still have the superior position but we all can see how she was cut back and "made fit" by the grey men in Zarzuela, her original type of personality clearly wasnt welcome, what has probably caused major frustration with her and Felipe while the Infantas have both, the privileges and their own lifes.

I think they simply dont like each other but have learned to put on a show in public, what not only suits everyone but is necessary for the future of the monarchy.

I always think some people overreacted to 'let me finish'. Both she and Felipe were talking to the media, they probably didn't see the Kings coming in right away, both were continue talking, why always blamed Letizia alone ?
I find your post rather contradicting. If she was being cut back by the grey men after the engagement, how was it possible she was showing infantas she knew everything ?
Letizia is the crown princess, she deserves her own role and solo acts. if someone had to cut the acts in order to fit everyone into the budget (the SRF didn't get extra money when Felipe married Letizia unlike some other European monarchies), most likely they were the lowest ranked infantas. What else option could it be ?
I see Cristina has become more friendly towards Letizia after she moved to DC (at the funerals and Greek wedding). With the distance, there is not much issue regarding their roles in the family anymore.

I find your post rather contradicting. If she was being cut back by the grey men after the engagement, how was it possible she was showing infantas she knew everything ?
Letizia is the crown princess, she deserves her own role and solo acts. if someone had to cut the acts in order to fit everyone into the budget (the SRF didn't get extra money when Felipe married Letizia unlike some other European monarchies), most likely they were the lowest ranked infantas. What else option could it be ?

Sorry, let me clarify. I didnt mean the cut back to fit in a financial meaning but personality wise. Of course Letizia should have her own agenda, profile etc, and if that can only happen with Infantas fading into the background for financial reasons so be it.

Letizia had been cut back and made fit by showing her the position behind Felipe, shut up and give birth so to say, no more bossy talking and great gestures but submissive wife what is very contradicting to the way she presented herself on engagement day, like Here I am and where are my tasks. From her attitude she saw herself like the coming royal activist, not what she is today, point of attention for gossip and fashion.

It's quite annoying to always fabricate one's own thinking into reality. I find that quite bored to repeat again and again but withour any facts to prove that. :bang:

All we can do is give our own interpretation when the subjects are not speaking to the press.

Personally, I think Letizia is dealing with the sister in law from hell - Cristina. Elena is following her sister with or without much conviction.

I briefely met Cristina during the Sydney Olympic Games. She was a snob, who would not even say "hi" to the Spanish national office the few hours she was there. I wasn't impressed at all and neither the rest of the team including her husband's handball one.

Well, things seem OK during the Greek royal wedding...they were smiling and I find it hard to believe they were faking it at some point. The pictures seem natural.

All we can do is give our own interpretation when the subjects are not speaking to the press.

Personally, I think Letizia is dealing with the sister in law from hell - Cristina. Elena is following her sister with or without much conviction.

I briefely met Cristina during the Sydney Olympic Games. She was a snob, who would not even say "hi" to the Spanish national office the few hours she was there. I wasn't impressed at all and neither the rest of the team including her husband's handball one.

I agree with you, nothing surprising: this behaviour is typical of the Royal family of Greece, especially the King, very snob with people he does not know or he considers not to be at his same social level. Female members of the Spanish family have the same blood...What a difference with the Great King Juan Carlos!

I was very interested in your take/opinion on the siblings, although mine is quite the opposite. Letizia gave up quite a lucrative job that already had her in the public eye for her own achievements. She did not need her family to to make her a Spanish household name. She was well know for herself. She has been "put down" to conform to the government's ideals. Many of us have even commented that she had a "livelier" personality and dressed better while on TV. This, the government seems to sit upon. Felipe's sisters, on the other hand, have only the relationship to the royal family to garner their name in print. Eventually this will be taken away, except on the very few occasions. This threat of being out-shone can really be a problem for someone that has nothing else to fall back on. They might have realized it would happen some day, but, like someone's death, you really never want it to happen. One might not want to call it jealousy but there will be a resentment. It is human nature. It can certainly affect a mother when her children no longer get top billing in news articles like they once did. This will sort all out in the future. It has to.

A lot of times when people try to present themselves in a certain way (everyone getting along when they don't), some people around them see this. It can be very subtle (some minor thing which is not noticeable to the average person) but someone who has a sixth sense about them picks up on it right away. Or someone who is very clairvoyant.

As you can see, since people are discussing this, the average person are beginning to see what might be going on.

My impression during the press conference after the official engagement was that the king and queen were giving Felipe and Letizia their moment in the spotlight. I thought it was very sweet. It was probably a moment the king and queen were starting to wonder if they'd ever see.

A lot of times when people try to present themselves in a certain way (everyone getting along when they don't), some people around them see this. It can be very subtle (some minor thing which is not noticeable to the average person) but someone who has a sixth sense about them picks up on it right away. Or someone who is very clairvoyant.

As you can see, since people are discussing this, the average person are beginning to see what might be going on.

or someone who just wants to see something when there is nothing. these are three grown women (and ultimately, it is the women in the story we are most interested about) who may or may not like each other. they certainly seem to spend time together but are not joint at the hip. sounds like a normal family (by marriage) relationship to me ;)

I agree with you, nothing surprising: this behaviour is typical of the Royal family of Greece, especially the King, very snob with people he does not know or he considers not to be at his same social level. Female members of the Spanish family have the same blood...What a difference with the Great King Juan Carlos!

King Juan Carlos is a Bourbon, Constantine a Hannover that is "a" ;)difference

King Juan Carlos is a Bourbon, Constantine a Hannover that is "a" ;)difference

You hit the target Theclerk! this behaviour comes from the Hannovers, i.e. Constantines and Sophias mother Frederika...

I disagree with you. I've met King Costantine and it is true, he is not an especially hot person (do not forget his german blood), but I would not call him snob just a little reserved!
Do not forget that at the age of 27 he has been chassed from his homeland, and he quite never returned back!
Everytime he is approached by an uknown person, especially a Greek he does not know if it is to boooo him or to salute him, so is normal to be "reserved". Queen Anna-Maria is very sweet, all this is question of caracter.
Queen Sofia, who is same blood with KC, is not snob either, she is ver nice. Of course I would not expect from a Queen to be baddy baddy with strangers!!!
Do not forget that King Juan Carlos is more Spanish, so more "mediterranean character"

You hit the target Theclerk! this behaviour comes from the Hannovers, i.e. Constantines and Sophias mother Frederika...

Do you include Queen Sofia in the "snob Hannovers"?

I disagree with you. I've met King Costantine and it is true, he is not an especially hot person (do not forget his german blood), but I would not call him snob just a little reserved!
Do not forget that at the age of 27 he has been chassed from his homeland, and he quite never returned back!
Everytime he is approached by an uknown person, especially a Greek he does not know if it is to boooo him or to salute him, so is normal to be "reserved". Queen Anna-Maria is very sweet, all this is question of caracter.
Queen Sofia, who is same blood with KC, is not snob either, she is ver nice. Of course I would not expect from a Queen to be baddy baddy with strangers!!!
Do not forget that King Juan Carlos is more Spanish, so more "mediterranean character"

I see you live Greece and probably are Greek, so you speak his language... this is the reason of your different impression. When the King is in Greece he must be open with people, for him it is easier also because he feels the air of his Country, even if I have been told from my Greek friends that there are people who do not like him there and I am sorry for it. His behaviour is different when he is in London (where I met him and the family several times), he is colder, but with people who have "nothing to do" with him or with his entourage he is a bit snob.

Queen Sofia is sweeter than him (after so many years of life with Don Juan Carlos), but the base is the same.

A King who is "reserved" (also because he does not hear very well) but not snob at all is Michael of Roumania, but this is not the right thread!

I wrote here the personal feeling I had when it happened to meet them in pubblic occasion, with other people, for example receptions, parties, etc. If you meet them private they are friendly as all people.

I see you live Greece and probably are Greek, so you speak his language... this is the reason of your different impression.

Exactly!!

(where I met him and the family several times), he is colder, but with people who have "nothing to do" with him or with his entourage he is a bit snob.
It is a point, I can not say anything, you have another image, My only impression is many times in Greece, and speaking greek. He might change abroad.

Queen Sofia is sweeter than him (after so many years of life with Don Juan Carlos), but the base is the same.

The three siblings have a heavy accent. Even Pcs Irene who has the simpliest behavior, speaks heavily greek! It might come from their german origin, or is the type of their voice, who knows!! But they give a worst impression because of that. But is nothing to do with snobisme.

Exactly!!
The three siblings have a heavy accent. Even Pcs Irene who has the simpliest behavior, speaks heavily greek! It might come from their german origin, or is the type of their voice, who knows!! But they give a worst impression because of that. But is nothing to do with snobisme.

I am sorry, I do not speak Greek apart kalimera, parakalo and the bad word m....a!

This can be a good reason, I know German people that speak English with a very heavy accent, sometimes I can not understand what they say.

Probably it's not easy at all to balance the kindness everybody expect from a royal with the aplomb and the certain distinction that are expected from them as well.
I must admit that I prefer a royal that risks to seem a snob to the royals that act too much as normal people do.
For example: maybe the Swedish Royal family it's not snob at all because they look happy to socialize with nude models, but that create a lot of criticism as well.

I was very interested in your take/opinion on the siblings, although mine is quite the opposite. Letizia gave up quite a lucrative job that already had her in the public eye for her own achievements. She did not need her family to to make her a Spanish household name. She was well know for herself. She has been "put down" to conform to the government's ideals. Many of us have even commented that she had a "livelier" personality and dressed better while on TV. This, the government seems to sit upon. Felipe's sisters, on the other hand, have only the relationship to the royal family to garner their name in print. Eventually this will be taken away, except on the very few occasions. This threat of being out-shone can really be a problem for someone that has nothing else to fall back on. They might have realized it would happen some day, but, like someone's death, you really never want it to happen. One might not want to call it jealousy but there will be a resentment. It is human nature. It can certainly affect a mother when her children no longer get top billing in news articles like they once did. This will sort all out in the future. It has to.

Completely agree with you. What I admire about this woman is that she's a very successful lady before she became a crown princess. That is one major reason why I really like her and I admit it, oftentimes defend her. If you ask me she has the most weight being the crown princess because monarchy in Spain is not at all like in other countries. They are modern yet the attachment to traditional ways is so strong. Nevertheless, my support goes to her. :D;)

Completely agree with you. What I admire about this woman is that she's a very successful lady before she became a crown princess. That is one major reason why I really like her and I admit it, oftentimes defend her. If you ask me she has the most weight being the crown princess because monarchy in Spain is not at all like in other countries. They are modern yet the attachment to traditional ways is so strong. Nevertheless, my support goes to her. :D;)

Fully agree with you too. I admit when it comes to Letizia I'm also a bit biased, I like her. No one can say she didn't work hard to get to her professional standing prior to her marriage. She came from a modest middle class family and worked very hard to get there without "family connections" of any kind. In a country like Spain where the Monarchy is on shaky ground, she is never going to please everybody.

If she over does it with clothes and jewelry, there be pages of nasty innuendo about her expenditure compared considering the country is in a recession. If she wears 3 times the same dress, they'd ask where has the money gone. She can't win.

Fortunately, there are many people in Spain who really like her. I've thought for a long time, she is the best thing that could have happened to the Royal family - bright, confident, hard working and caring.

If nothing else, her influence on Felipe has been wonderful to watch. He is much more open, down to earth and emotionally approachable than before his marriage - I've never seen so many pictures of him openly expressing his emotions with the people, whether laughing out loud or sharing grief.

As the saying goes, behind a lovely man, there is even a lovelier woman (well, or something similar :lol:)

Fully agree with you too. I admit when it comes to Letizia I'm also a bit biased, I like her. No one can say she didn't work hard to get to her professional standing prior to her marriage. She came from a modest middle class family and worked very hard to get there without "family connections" of any kind. In a country like Spain where the Monarchy is on shaky ground, she is never going to please everybody.

If she over does it with clothes and jewelry, there be pages of nasty innuendo about her expenditure compared considering the country is in a recession. If she wears 3 times the same dress, they'd ask where has the money gone. She can't win.

Fortunately, there are many people in Spain who really like her. I've thought for a long time, she is the best thing that could have happened to the Royal family - bright, confident, hard working and caring.

If nothing else, her influence on Felipe has been wonderful to watch. He is much more open, down to earth and emotionally approachable than before his marriage - I've never seen so many pictures of him openly expressing his emotions with the people, whether laughing out loud or sharing grief.

As the saying goes, behind a lovely man, there is even a lovelier woman (well, or something similar :lol:)

beautiful posts:flowers::flowers:

This is my opinion also, I agree with you ladies. Letizia was and is an intelligent woman with a college degree and a career before she became part of the SRF . I love the Princess of Asturias because she is hard working, and seems to be a doting mother to Leonor and Sofía. When she receives audiences the comments have been about how informed she is about the issues. I like Infanta Elena, I think she was courageous to break from a relationship that was not working for her. Infanta Cristina seems to me like she spends lots of time riding her bike, skiing and being a Royal. Cristina and Elena have adorable children but I do not think they contribute anything to the profile of the Spanish Royal Family.

spanish princess

:ermm: Hi I am new to the thread and I heard that the spanish royal princess do not get along at all please tell - carmen jones

...I heard that the spanish royal princess do not get along at all please tell - carmen jones
Dearest Carmen Jones,
you have read this thread from the beginning already before asking your question, haven't you? You will find all the info you need in this thread.

Just a question- I read it on glittering royal events website franco page it was quit interesting any one with more infor carmen jones

Carmen, Kasumi is correct. Start at the beginning of this thread and the relationship between the Infantas and the Princess of Austerias is discussed. Keep in mind news items are mostly speculation.:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom