The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Different countries have different situations, comparsions is just not there. JC has the Spanairds believe in him (not even monarchy) after the military coup. On Gustaf and Siliva, I always find them extremely ordinary (the most ordinary among the Scandinavian monarchies IMO) except for Silvia's expensive clothes, now her bloated surgically repaired face (something you almost can predict happening long ago), I don't see how they would have inspired Spaniards believe in monarchy if they were the Kings of Spain .

Old 04-06-2008, 05:56 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
Different countries have different situations, comparsions is just not there. JC has the Spanairds believe in him (not even monarchy) after the military coup. On Gustaf and Siliva, I always find them extremely ordinary (the most ordinary among the Scandinavian monarchies IMO) except for Silvia's expensive clothes, now her bloated surgically repaired face (something you almost can predict happening long ago), I don't see how they would have inspired Spaniards believe in monarchy if they were the Kings of Spain .
I agree with you, as a matter of fact if you put Mary and Fred or any other crown couple to be the next ruler of Spain I hardly believe the monarchy will still be alive. WHat Felipe and Letizia does is what the country defines for them. Just like other crown couple they act as to what they think is good for their country. This is the reason why I believe in them, she's not fashion savvy as if she should be the next princess supermodel and he's not lax with his duties.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Commoner

The main problem with Cristina and Letizia is that during her wedding she asked her to host her political family (a high-class bankers family) but she denied it.
They had been really close friends before that happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
ACDC: I agree with everything you said. I watched several videos and I think it was apparent that Felipe and Letizia were being ignored. I find it painful to even look at the pictures. I hope that the Spanish Royal Family will find a way to resolve their differences. (This is certainly not the first time we have seen this.)
I did not wanted to comment this either but I also saw a video (maybe I am very susceptible) after the publication of personal letters of the King addressed to the Prince as a student. In the video, the king faces him with real hardness. I was tembling for a few minutes, wow, that video in Palma was harsh.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:26 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I recall a moment from the goodbye dinner in Palma this year and I am not sure if it is captured on a pic or if it is just on video (maybe crisinaki knows?)

I am talking about the moment when Cristina walks past her father. For a few seconds he pinches her arm very affectionately and both are beaming. It's just a small gesture but it shows how close and caring Cristina and King Juan Carlos are.

This is just my opinion but from what I have read, HM the King had a Wonderul, loving relationship with his own grandmother HM Queen Victoria Eugenie, and his mother HRH the Coutess of Barcelona, and that his majesty was devestated at the death of both women, and we've all seen the pics of HM crying at the funeral of His mother, IMO i think it's Extremely dissrespectul for some people to continue to label the King as "Uncaring" , distant etc...... Outside of the family, do any of us Really know that happens behind closed doors in the Royal Family?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria View Post
I agree with you, as a matter of fact if you put Mary and Fred or any other crown couple to be the next ruler of Spain I hardly believe the monarchy will still be alive. WHat Felipe and Letizia does is what the country defines for them. Just like other crown couple they act as to what they think is good for their country. This is the reason why I believe in them, she's not fashion savvy as if she should be the next princess supermodel and he's not lax with his duties.
I really agree with you. Different countries different manners and customs. Maxima would never do in Spain and the other way around. I like the fact that Felipe and Letizia are a good looking rather normal couple trying really hard to be exactly what their country respects. Actually, to me, it doesn't look like Filipe's sisters hate Letizia, just that they had to step "down lower" in rank to her as she will be their queen some day. They are acting in public as they should towards their future queen. I have seen Queen Elizabeths's children be rather stiff to her in public on occasion -- it called protocol -- besides they are probably just much happier with each other behind closed doors. I wouldn't look for trouble on the basis of a few photos.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Nice photo of King Juan Carlos and princess Letizia yesterday at the Expo 2008
APA-Picturedesk
Old 06-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Could someone who is reliable answer a question I have about Isabel Sartorius, who was reportedly once a serious girlfriend of Prince Felipe?

I never saw the young woman but she was supposed to be a beautiful aristocrat. Juan Carlos and Sofia opposed the marriage because Ms Sartorius has divorced parents?

But the woman Felipe eventually did marry had divorced parents too and of course is herself a divorcee.

So this is confusing to me and if anyone can provide some light and clarification i would appreciate it-thanks!
Old 06-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would not qualify myself as reliable but this is what I know. Isabel's parents are divorced. There was some scandal about her mother she is the step daughter of Princess Nora of Liechtenstein. She is married and lives in London and is actually on enough friendly terms with Prince Pavlos to show up at his wedding. The King and Queen were opposed to their love story because Isabel had 3 boyfriends before she met Felipe. She was a true beauty and seemed like P Felipe was seriously in love.
Last but not least let's put it this way..........we always end up with what we dislike the most.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
Could someone who is reliable answer a question I have about Isabel Sartorius, who was reportedly once a serious girlfriend of Prince Felipe?

I never saw the young woman but she was supposed to be a beautiful aristocrat. Juan Carlos and Sofia opposed the marriage because Ms Sartorius has divorced parents?

But the woman Felipe eventually did marry had divorced parents too and of course is herself a divorcee.

So this is confusing to me and if anyone can provide some light and clarification i would appreciate it-thanks!
Look up the article The Royal Reject: Life After The End Of A Romance
by: Graham Keeley, 16 April 2007
It told the story in detail
Old 06-28-2008, 03:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
Her parent's divorce was definitely not the main reason. Maria-Carolina de Borbon Parma y Oranje Nassau had been invited by JC and Sofia for the marriage meetings with Felipe and her parents were divorced.
Felipe was still young and not ready for the marriage when he was with Isabel. Later in life, Isabel became a single mother with a daugher born out of wedlock (she has never been married) in 1997, afterwards Felipe was no longer interested.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

I was very disappointed that Isabel Sartorius didn´t marry Felipe. In fact I am still disappointed, I think that he should have, at least, chosen an aristocrat. I have never heard that Princess Letizia´s family were well to do bankers, I have read that her maternal grandmother had something to do with radio or television and her paternal grandfather was a taxi driver.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

I do not want to get off the subject here but Letizia's parents are not well to do Bankers. Her maternal grandfather was a taxi driver. Her paternal family are journalists of different sorts. Her mother I believe is in nursing and Letizia started as a reporter and ended up reading the evening news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
Her parent's divorce was definitely not the main reason. Maria-Carolina de Borbon y Parma had been invited by JC and Sofia for the marriage meetings with Felipe and her parents were divorced.
Felipe was still young and not ready for the marriage when he was with Isabel. Later in life, Isabel became a single mother with a daugher born out of wedlock (she has never been married) in 1997, afterwards Felipe was no longer interested.
I am very sorry but I find your remarks about Isabel mean spirited. The fact remains however that Felipe was deeply in love with her.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
I am very sorry but I find your remarks about Isabel mean spirited. The fact remains however that Felipe was deeply in love with her.
That Felipe was deeply in love is something ONLY he himself knows. Others, especially those of us that don't know him personally, can only "fish". You cannot just go by newspapers -- you know how they love to lie with half truths. I am sure that Letizia is now reaping the rewards for this past exploits.
The fact remains now that he isn't in love with Isabel anymore -- so it is water under the bridge. I would love to have a dollar for every time a young man fell in and out of "love" in his lifetime. Life usually turns out for the best in the long run and I think that his present marriage suits him.

Just think about our own lives. I cringe when I think about the men I thought I wanted to marry (madly in love) and what a devastated life I would have endured if I had.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Felipe has obviously found the women of his dreams - and his soulmate. I don't think all the thousands of photos showing him and Letizia together can be wrong. The spontaneous reaction at the soccer game a few days ago is a very telling picture of how they feel about each other. There are probably many people we all could have married and had a good marriage. But sometime you are lucky and find the person that makes your marriage spectacular. Some people are just lucky in waiting and or finding that one perfect partner.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Mean spirited ????? What did I say wrong ? Being in love doesn't mean there was a marriage on horizon since Felipe hadn't finished his study, he was not ready for a marriage at that time, that had been said by the royal insiders on TV many times. By the way, anyone in Spain who followed the royals a little knows that Isabel has never been married, that was even confirmed by herself in an interview.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Please note that this thread is about the relations between members of the Spanish Royal Family. The discussion about true love for Isabel Sartorius does not belong in this thread, but I suppose there should be a thread around that deals with her, so maybe you all can take the discussion there.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Please note that this thread is about the relations between members of the Spanish Royal Family. The discussion about true love for Isabel Sartorius does not belong in this thread, but I suppose there should be a thread around that deals with her, so maybe you all can take the discussion there.

Sorry Marengo, it's my fault! I was really curious about the Sartorius issue and didn't have a clue where to ask my question, so I came here.

I apologize.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:36 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK
It's well known that the King would not let his 'commoner' in laws tag along any official holidays or official trips.

I think this is the most important sentence here. The King is in charge of everything and not allowing commoner in-laws to attend official holidays or to stay at official residences are only a few indications that he is not fond of any commoner relation within his family. Whenever he has to pose with commoner in-laws or even commoner family members, he does a bear it and grin and makes himself look so much out of place within this company that he could well be photoshopped into the pic (best example is Leonor's christening - the look on his face speaks volumes).

I don't believe a second that both King and Queen were fond of their son's decision to marry Letizia - IMO today the King respects Letizia in her function, as PoA and future Queen but this is where it ends. Apart from looking photoshopped into pictures where Letizia or her family are co-protagonists he does not show any true affection towards his daughter in law and the two most powerful gestures I can recall were at F&L's wedding where he snubbed Paloma and preferred to walk to church with his sister and his delayed arrival at Ruber Hospital when Letizia gave birth to Sofia - he only bothered to show up a few days later. At least for me the bottom line is that JC only cares about about the institution and the survival of the Borbons on the Spanish throne and nothing but. Of course he loves his children (his daughters are closest to his heart plus Felipe as heir and Leonor as heiress presumptive) but the rest is pretty much Sofia's job. Her last service to the monarchy would be the balance act to a) integrate Letizia to the degree that everybody gets along more or less ok but I don't believe she was successful in creating true affections within the family and to b) convince the spanish public of Letizia's quality as future Queen of Spain and I believe there is still a long way to go. I think that the relationship of Letizia and the Queen is good on a personal and professional level but I doubt it's anywhere near the sugary "mother & daughter" relationship some people like to interprete into pictures. I have utmost respect for Queen Sofia for always putting duty first and making personal sacrifices for the sake of the survival of the institution - JC owes a lot to her. I seriously doubt Letizia will walk the line as much as Sofia has always done in case Felipe will transform into a younger JC once the kids have grown up and the marriage will face new challenges or even be reduced to a more or less professional level.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Duke of M. You are spot on. Queen Sofia, loves her son and will do anything for him that she can, even accept his choice for a wife. The Spanish Royal family have always been very close. The Count of Barcelona and his wife were very loving parents but I don´t think they would have approved of their grandson marrying someone not royal. No problem with the girls but when the Borbon dynasty is at stake then that would come first. King Juan Carlos made the perfect choice for his Queen of Spain and I admire her tremendously. Now she is trying very hard to be the glue that sticks this generation of royal family together. I hope that she succeeds.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Duke, it's true that the Kings prefered all their 3 children marrying royals, then the parents of the other CPs in Europe also did. Infanta Sofia was born during a long weekend and JC was out of town. The King didn't even make it to the hospital to see Cristina after Irene was born, yeh, he loves his daughters so much more than his daughter-in-law (big deal, just like most parents). I don't see any reason why JC should have walked with Paloma at the wedding of F&L, it didn't happen in any other royal wedding either. The marriage of JC and Sofia would not have survived today's media if they now were the CP couple of Spain IMO. I'm sure there are people in Spain who don't like Letizia, but there is no proof that this is the majority, quite the contract to what you said, majorities do believe she qualifies to be a successor to Sofia. Of course, she is different from Sofia, but she also has her advantage of being a Spanish woman.
Catango, I agree with you that Felipe had never appeared so cheerful, friendly and communicative before Letizia. For people who had met him at the Sydney Olympics, he appeared rather aloof, distant, not so friendly.
Guido, nobody here had said that Felipe had never been happy at any moment of his life before Letizia or with his exes, but there is this difference between escaping to a foreign land to feel happy/relaxed and happily embracing his royal duties and his people in Spain, even his (or Letizia's) distractors in the Spanish media admitted this difference.

Tags
froilán de marichalar, juan carlos, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, pablo urdangarín, queen sofia, relationships, sofia (1938 -), spanish royal family, victoria de marichalar