Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-01-2007, 03:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriestess View Post
Well, in my opinion, JC had a marrital oath that
Originally Posted by Lady Griffin
Well, in my opinion the Prince had obligations he did not fulfil.

he didn't withhold. An oath he said in a Catholic church. Which one is worse???

If Felipe follows his father's footstep by marrying a royal/noble woman and having mistresses on the side, who says the wife will not be another Diana? How much damage will a Diana do to Spanish monarchy?
The law of equal royal marriage has been abolished in Spain. Felipe had no obligation to marry a royal bride by the law. As long as his marriage was approved by the King and the Spanish government, his obligations had been fulfilled, the rest is only subjective opinions on liking his choice of wife or not.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Courtier

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but if the government and the King had not liked Felipe's choice for a wife, could Felipe have married and kept the title?

Old 09-01-2007, 07:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladejesus View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but if the government and the King had not liked Felipe's choice for a wife, could Felipe have married and kept the title?
Not, neither he nor his sisters.

The Royal Household of His Majesty the King_ Welcome

Those persons with a right of succession to the Throne who marry against the express prohibition of the King and the Cortes Generales, shall be excluded from succession to the Crown, as shall their descendants.

Though it is logical, in order that this opposition exists or the Parliament intervenes, they have to give circumstances. There has to be a serious reason, like for example that the person there are broken the laws or something similar, not only because they like someone or not.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:09 AM
Courtier

Thanks for the info lula.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:10 AM
Nobility

I found this photo of Infanta Cristina and Letizia before the wedding, they seem to be getting very well then. Both of them look very pretty here and I really like the pink suit of Infanta Christina here

And one more photo of them, this one after the wedding
Old 10-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I recall a moment from the goodbye dinner in Palma this year and I am not sure if it is captured on a pic or if it is just on video (maybe crisinaki knows?)

I am talking about the moment when Cristina walks past her father. For a few seconds he pinches her arm very affectionately and both are beaming. It's just a small gesture but it shows how close and caring Cristina and King Juan Carlos are.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouwrein View Post
I found this photo of Infanta Cristina and Letizia before the wedding, they seem to be getting very well then. Both of them look very pretty here and I really like the pink suit of Infanta Christina here

And one more photo of them, this one after the wedding
do they still get on , I sure I read somewhere that they dont , or is that all gossip ?
Old 10-08-2007, 03:35 AM

There is a documentary book in Spanish "La soledad del Rey' - ("loneleness of the King') enough big book about the role of JC in the modern Spanish society. And there is an information there that the marriage of Felipe and Letizia was organised by political group close to JC because it was a good chnace to refresh the monarchy in the modern world, but then they understood that it was a big mistake. Well, if it's really a truth SRF can have good polite relations with letizia but not really warm and sincere.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

This type of gossips pass for being surrealistic, is never the well-read one many commentaries on this book, but this never. A thing is that in certain sectors it was considered a positive that the Prince should not force to marry a woman of the "royalty" and other one that they were choosing him a woman, who seems that you want to say to us.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Royal Highness

The two infantas, Elena and Cristina, get along very well. Seeing the pictures from their last holidays, they were always together with their respective families. There is a strain, however, between them and Letizia. The Queen, being the great mother and grandmother she is, had to divide herself, between being with her daughter in law and girls and with her other part of the family.
Still, despite being royals, they are human beings too, so bound to happen things that some agree, others don´t, like in most normal households.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

The certain thing is that the Infantas have joined in the last years and for their children, 5 years ago it was strange to see them united if it was not with their parents. I do not believe that the Queen has to divide, betwen other things because the frequency with the one that sees the members of her family is different; she can see the Princes and their daughters every day because they live to few meters of distance .... while she sees to her daughters and her other grandchildren in weekends or vacations.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:07 PM
Aristocracy

I have read that Letizia has problems with Juan Carlos and Cristina. It´s difficult to know If is true.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Ultimately we'' never know if there are "problems", however having seen recent photos, Letizia seems to get along perfectly well with Elena, Jaime and the King.

The only person who has a problem with Letizia it seems is Cristina and imo it's a one-sided problem. It shows a very negative side and petty side to Cristina's character that I never imagine her possessing before. Her behaviour towards Letizia really disappoints me.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:53 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
Ultimately we'' never know if there are "problems", however having seen recent photos, Letizia seems to get along perfectly well with Elena, Jaime and the King.

The only person who has a problem with Letizia it seems is Cristina and imo it's a one-sided problem. It shows a very negative side and petty side to Cristina's character that I never imagine her possessing before. Her behaviour towards Letizia really disappoints me.
what does cristina do to show her negative side towards Letizia??
I dont know a great deal about the spanish royal family.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1939 View Post
what does cristina do to show her negative side towards Letizia??
I dont know a great deal about the spanish royal family.
In various photoshoots people have said that Cristina has been very cool towards Letizia and that therefore there must be a problem with their relationship.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Letizia gets along very well with the Queen, I think the other family members have left her to her own devices, to bond with the Queen since she's her predecessor, right?

I think it has more to do with the future state of things than any personal issue, besides Letizia is a bit like the Queen, a person who doesn't have many close friends

Elena and Cristina behave almost equally when it comes to Letizia, they aren't close but I don't see a huge rift either, it's a normal thing in all families, some members get along awesomely others don't

or have we seen Jaime and Iñaki getting chummy? they get along just fine, it's just that they aren't close 'cuz they are very different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade
I recall a moment from the goodbye dinner in Palma this year and I am not sure if it is captured on a pic or if it is just on video (maybe crisinaki knows?)

I am talking about the moment when Cristina walks past her father. For a few seconds he pinches her arm very affectionately and both are beaming. It's just a small gesture but it shows how close and caring Cristina and King Juan Carlos are.
I know what you're talking about, I'll look for it on my things

Cristina is the youngest daughter, so I guess, she's the apple of her father's eye :)
Old 10-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki View Post
Letizia gets along very well with the Queen, I think the other family members have left her to her own devices, to bond with the Queen since she's her predecessor, right?

I think it has more to do with the future state of things than any personal issue, besides Letizia is a bit like the Queen, a person who doesn't have many close friends
The Queen had been betrayed by some Spanish aristocrats during her early days in Spain, she decided to cut ties with them. Letizia has some close friends from CNN or TVE. Since her friends are mostly ordinary and discreet people even if some are hight profile journalists such as the Milas or Alex Grijelmo García , we haven't heard much about their stories. I heard Elena or Crisitna rarely made any friends at school or work, perhaps because of their position or the influence from their mother, but their brother Felipe seems different.
Whether the sister-in-laws are friends or not are not important at all (Queen Sofia and Infanta Pilar have never been friends) as long as they don't show bitter feelings towards each other at official acts.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think we can only talk about what we see, and so far we have seen only very few pictures of the three ladys together and almoust none of them talking and chating! Maybe sometimes do out for a dinner together, maybe going out with all the cousins has we have seen a few days ago, but we havent' seen them chating and having a friendly conversation and photographers cacht almoust everything. To me they don't get along very well, they could chat the essenttialy but not more than that!They are not good friends.
Letizia and the Queen yes they are good friends!They live close to each other, Letizia has give two lovely grandaugthers to the Queen adn it seams that Letizia let the Queen take care of Leonor sometimes and that's good!
Old 10-29-2007, 05:43 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

[quote=crisiñaki;685864]
Quote:

It's obvious that Letizia and Queen Sofia get along well with each other but I think it's not only this fairy tale daughter in law & mother in law match in heaven as some coverage suggests but has a lot to do with the future of the monarchy. It's part of Queen Sofia's job to give utmost support to the Princess of Asturias in order to strengthen her position as future Queen. It's in both women's interest to get along well and given both have a very professional attitude, being able to but Spain first and personal issues behind, it works out well. It's kind of combining business with pleasure as Queen Sofia doesn't have too many close friends, as stated earlier. I believe there is a true affection but even if there wasn't I don't believe it would show in public.

Quote:
Elena and Cristina behave almost equally when it comes to Letizia, they aren't close but I don't see a huge rift either, it's a normal thing in all families, some members get along awesomely others don't
From the pics I see a much closer relation to Elena & Jaime. There has not been any warm gesture beween the Palma couple and the Asturias couple for a long time, if they attend the same events there is Cristina on one side as far apart from Letizia as protocol allows; if they had to stand together Cristina gave Letizia an outch look at at least two or three occasions. Don't know why and what happened but at least I see in those pictures that something is not working between those two couples. On private occasions, in Majorca or at the zoo there is not even a single picture that shows both women together, with or without their daughters, who are the same age.
Quote:
or have we seen Jaime and Iñaki getting chummy? they get along just fine, it's just that they aren't close 'cuz they are very different
Men are different, aren't they they don't get too emotional or make a fuss. Even if there is dissens they are still able to have a beer together
Old 10-29-2007, 09:27 AM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

The Queen and Letizia and genuinely good friends, they like each other. They don't make an effort to get along (imo).
About Letizia relationship with Cristian and Elena... I don't say they are enemies or they hate each other, but I think there are some grugdes between them.
I've never seen Máxima chatting a lot with Laurentien but from the pictures I think they get along very well. In official events they stay close to each other, they smile at each other, they feel comfortable together. I don't see this between Cristina and Letizia. It seems to me there is always something, like a wall, between those two.

Tags
froilán de marichalar, juan carlos, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, pablo urdangarín, queen sofia, relationships, sofia (1938 -), spanish royal family, victoria de marichalar