The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-26-2016, 02:16 PM
Majesty

Doesn't surprise me. Some years ago I remember seeing photos of video of a reunion of the Spanish and Greek Royal families who had gathered to commemorate the anniversary of the death of King Paul, I believe.

Letizia was so obviously the outsider among Felipe's extended family and close cousins it was almost painful to witness...like a high school clique shutting out the "undesirable" girl.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Atpical Royal Family?

Seems to be a bit critical of Letizia .

Grand Class

Translation

https://translate.google.ie/translat...-text=&act=url

Old 09-13-2016, 05:15 PM
Heir Apparent

While I agree that the girls should be seen more, I had to laugh at the aforementioned "article". Why must always be Letizia's fault?
Old 09-14-2016, 02:04 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

The press knows that the hide and seek will be over when the girls come of age and attend royal events. And the time will come that the photocalls will be less robotic and controlled, it would look silly to cling on/be all over adult girls. IMO the photocalls are always awful, nothing natural about it, but 'us against them', let's endure it and get out of here. But this will change, the press will be fascinated with Leonor and Sofia and Letizia will cease to be the center of attention, who cares what she wears or does when her daughters will be on full display.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
The press knows that the hide and seek will be over when the girls come of age and attend royal events. And the time will come that the photocalls will be less robotic and controlled, it would look silly to cling on/be all over adult girls. IMO the photocalls are always awful, nothing natural about it, but 'us against them', let's endure it and get out of here. But this will change, the press will be fascinated with Leonor and Sofia and Letizia will cease to be the center of attention, who cares what she wears or does when her daughters will be on full display.
Of course. and that is how it should be. Letizia first and most important role at present is to protect her children at all times until they are of age. After that, and hopefully they will have instilled in them calmness and poise in front of many rude media, parents won't be protective as such. And then public will pull apart what those sweet girls are wearing and critique what they eat, etc. when they go out. Lord what an awful way to have to live for the rest of their predestine lives.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Its a shame that there is no normal, authentic or relaxed atmosphere when being in public, it always looks forced, there is not one other royal family where the kids are only seen like five time per year max, overprotected and controlled by their parents.

It is especially a shame because today's 'enemy', press and public, is the very audience these girls will have to live with, while Leonor has her role and the rules that come with it, Sofia will be fair game at some point, the future Queen's sister who might have a role until her father dies and her sister becomes Queen, then becoming a private person who - and her family - still have to live a public life.

From day one it was all about secrecy and only very reluctantly sharing anything, like pictures on birthdays, school starts what has stopped completely for many years now. When the girls are 18 the press will relive what they have been missing in the past instead of a normal and steady exposure to the press and cameras from the beginning, as practiced in other royal houses.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:27 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm a firm believer in parents ultimately know best. It's Felipe and Letizia who have their children's best interests in mind, not the tabloid press. No amount of photocalls will satisfy a tabloid.

Every family is different, including royal families. For now F&L believe this is the appropriate level of exposure and I'll always give parents the benefit of the doubt.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:44 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Its a shame that there is no normal, authentic or relaxed atmosphere when being in public, it always looks forced, there is not one other royal family where the kids are only seen like five time per year max, overprotected and controlled by their parents.
I think we do not see the Dutch princesses much more: winter- and summer photo shoots, king's day and this year the Olympics. That is probably all for 2016. Though when they do apear in public it seems relatively relaxed.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:

It is especially a shame because today's 'enemy', press and public, is the very audience these girls will have to live with, while Leonor has her role and the rules that come with it, Sofia will be fair game at some point, the future Queen's sister who might have a role until her father dies and her sister becomes Queen, then becoming a private person who - and her family - still have to live a public life.

From day one it was all about secrecy and only very reluctantly sharing anything, like pictures on birthdays, school starts what has stopped completely for many years now. When the girls are 18 the press will relive what they have been missing in the past instead of a normal and steady exposure to the press and cameras from the beginning, as practiced in other royal houses.
I am torn on this one. I agree that Letizia(and Felipe's) first obligation is to the welfare of their children and not the public. BUT....

I am always struck by how controlled this young Royal family and especially the children appear in public. They lack anything resembling spontaneity. I don't think I have ever seen Leo and Sofia laughing, crying, playing, throwing a fit, like well...children.

I have seen every other Royal family with young children do that..Britain, Sweden, the Netherlands, Norway, Belgium, Denmark Luxembourg, Monaco. But not in Spain.

Belgium's Princess Elisabeth and Estelle of Sweden are a perfect example of children whom their parents seem to be gradually introducing to their public roles in a way that allows them to still be "normal" children.

It is obvious to me how uncomfortable the Spanish Royal children are with publicity and for Leo in particular I don't think this bodes well for the future.

As the future queen of Spain she is of an age where F&L should be making a concerted effort to try and make her her more comfortable in public.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I'm a firm believer in parents ultimately know best. It's Felipe and Letizia who have their children's best interests in mind, not the tabloid press. No amount of photocalls will satisfy a tabloid.

Every family is different, including royal families. For now F&L believe this is the appropriate level of exposure and I'll always give parents the benefit of the doubt.
I agree. It is their children. People without young ones usually give the most unwanted advise [unless it is the in-laws] but ultimately it is the parents that know the mind, temperament and failings of their children. It is their responsibility to protect and teach when they see fit. The girls seem to love their parents and grandparents so it doesn't look like they are ill-treated. I am sure that by the time they are older teens they will be fine.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I agree. It is their children. People without young ones usually give the most unwanted advise [unless it is the in-laws] but ultimately it is the parents that know the mind, temperament and failings of their children. It is their responsibility to protect and teach when they see fit. The girls seem to love their parents and grandparents so it doesn't look like they are ill-treated. I am sure that by the time they are older teens they will be fine.

I am not in the position to question Felipe's and Letizia's parenting choices, nor do I want to do it. However, they must keep in mind that they are no longer the Prince and Princess of Asturias, but rather the King and Queen of Spain. The level of attention on their daughters will naturally increase then, especially on Princess Leonor, who is now the heiress to the throne.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:21 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Of course its the parent's decision on how to handle the family matters. What they do behind closed doors is their business only.

But they are not only the private Borbon family unit but the first family of the country.
We see usually see the girls on 3 very controlled outings: Easter, Mallorca, National Day. On top of that maybe one or two occasions when the media takes pictures when they leave a restaurant etc, we see forced smiles with Leonor on Letizias hand, Sofia on Felipes.
The pictures on the website are 4 years old what is half a lifetime ago for girls aged 10 and 8. They bestow one of the highest orders of the country on Leonor and there is not even a recent picture of her.

Other royal houses might not show their kids at more times either, but they do it far more relaxed, not enforced, understanding that the media will be the sparring partner for the rest of their life, therefore the more natural the relationship is, the better. Now many will say, the media will never be happy, but imo the SRF do not even the very basic thing, providing pictures on special occasions because everything is 'private'. At some point the public needs to bond with their future Queen, and that doesnt happen when a grown woman in her 20s is thrown at them who was hidden away behind privacy as a kid, teenager and student.

Tags
froilán de marichalar, juan carlos, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, pablo urdangarín, queen sofia, relationships, sofia (1938 -), spanish royal family, victoria de marichalar