The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Aristocracy

I disagree, I think that queen Sofía genuinely loves all her in-laws, Jaime (from all accounts, she keeps in touch with him and he likes her a lot too), Iñaki(opinion may be on hold due to the latest happenings) and Letizia. She loves her children and when the three married they were all in love with their spouses. She also seems to love and spend much time with her grandchildren, and the closest ones are the Infantas.

Prince Felipe and King Juan Carlos belong to a different generation, actually King Juan Carlos belongs to a different era completely, I believe we saw the ending of the cheating royal men without any consequences with the Prince of Wales' first marriage. I don't doubt there'll be cheating spouses in a royal marriage like in any other marriage, but the possibility of having a mistress without any care in the world, of not worrying about the other half of the marriage, of forsaking the wedding vows...will not be taken for granted any more among royals when this generation of Kings and Queens dies.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Aristocracy

lula, I really appreciate your tolerance and respect to my comments. I think it's something remarkable that we all should learn from you (some of us more than others). I understand that we have to try to be rigorous with the information but I never wanted to make an assertion. I was just talking about a rumour that exists. I am not a judge nor a paparazzo, so I have no proofs about anything and I cannot say if the rumours are right or not (as most of you, I would like to think they're wrong) But who knows if magazine's directors or important people of the media have got pictures or other proofs hidden. I think that in Spain most of the media are philomonarchists or at least, very "gentle" towards Casa Real. In my humble opinion, I have doubts if everything, absolutely everything the media know about the SRF is published. I think that probably not everything is published.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

A certain sector of the Spanish press (mainly tabloids) hasn't been gentle towards Letizia at all, I'm sure they would like to see her fall flat on her face and get humiliated. Some spread rumors because they were bored, or had an agenda or wanted to distract from other stories/issues, who knows.
I agree with AnaC that Sofia in general has had a good relation with all of her in-laws. As a mom, I think she genuinely wants all her kids and grandkids to be happy. With the Hola cover in DC with Inaki or her biography in 2008, I don't think Sofia is as politically savvy (as JC) as many others wanted to give her credit for.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

What I find strange is how rare we see the extended Spanish royal family together,compared to other European Royal Families.For instance the sister of the King of Norway is often seen at State Banquets as is the younger sister of the King of Sweden.Both of these sisters are no longer 'Royal Highnesses' & are also no longer in line to the throne but are still regular guests at the palace.I believe the last time we saw either of JC's sisters at a state Banquet was in the early 00's.

The Kings sisters are photographed more with their sister in law the Queen rather than their brother the King.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Courtier

This thread has been a bit of an eye-opener for me.

I have always seen the royal family as being close. Events such as the communions and confirmations always seemed to feature the extended family members as part of the group.

I'm going by appearances and body language and, for me, Felipe and Letizia look blissfully in love while I think that Sofia comes across as the most lovable and caring of people.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
What I find strange is how rare we see the extended Spanish royal family together,compared to other European Royal Families.For instance the sister of the King of Norway is often seen at State Banquets as is the younger sister of the King of Sweden.Both of these sisters are no longer 'Royal Highnesses' & are also no longer in line to the throne but are still regular guests at the palace.I believe the last time we saw either of JC's sisters at a state Banquet was in the early 00's.

The Kings sisters are photographed more with their sister in law the Queen rather than their brother the King.
But the Queen is seen more often out in public (or at least photographed), I don't remember the last time I saw a picture of the King lunching out, for example.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post

I believe that you have to check your information. Only the sisters who are of the Royal Families take part in official activities. Those who do not form officially part of the royal family of their country, do not do it. All the sisters of Harald, Carl Gustaf or Beatrix have met of very exceptional form on the occasion of some wedding or special celebration.

Princess Astrid, is a part of the Royal Family, you can see it in the web. But the other sister, Princess Ranghild doesn´t attend events.

kongehuset.no - Kongefamilien

King Carl Gustaf has 4 sister, only Princess Christina attends often official acts. I read that the reason is that during a time, when her mother died and before the wedding of her brother she acted as the first lady of the country and since then she has supported certain public activity.

Queen Beatrix has three sisters, only the princess Margriet is a member of the Royal Household and has official activities.

So the situation of the Infantas Pilar and Margarita is the normal one.

They are not Royal Family, so the normal thing is that they do not attend official acts. When they do it, it is invited or because they collaborate with some organization or foundation with which they collaborate. I believe that they have more activity in Spain that other princesses in their circumstances. Normally they go to social or cultural acts, and it is more normal that with this type of acts they coincide more with the Queen that with the King.

The whole family attenden Miguel's communion last May. They are present at all the familiar acts, because they are Family of the King and not Royal Family.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

What about the King and Queen? What is their relationship like?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaC View Post
But the Queen is seen more often out in public (or at least photographed), I don't remember the last time I saw a picture of the King lunching out, for example.
I guess that the King's recent health issues (in the past 12 months) and recovery from same have contributed to his lack of public appearances.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
I believe that you have to check your information. Only the sisters who are of the Royal Families take part in official activities. Those who do not form officially part of the royal family of their country, do not do it. All the sisters of Harald, Carl Gustaf or Beatrix have met of very exceptional form on the occasion of some wedding or special celebration.

Princess Astrid, is a part of the Royal Family, you can see it in the web. But the other sister, Princess Ranghild doesn´t attend events.

kongehuset.no - Kongefamilien

King Carl Gustaf has 4 sister, only Princess Christina attends often official acts. I read that the reason is that during a time, when her mother died and before the wedding of her brother she acted as the first lady of the country and since then she has supported certain public activity.

Queen Beatrix has three sisters, only the princess Margriet is a member of the Royal Household and has official activities.

So the situation of the Infantas Pilar and Margarita is the normal one.

They are not Royal Family, so the normal thing is that they do not attend official acts. When they do it, it is invited or because they collaborate with some organization or foundation with which they collaborate. I believe that they have more activity in Spain that other princesses in their circumstances. Normally they go to social or cultural acts, and it is more normal that with this type of acts they coincide more with the Queen that with the King.

The whole family attenden Miguel's communion last May. They are present at all the familiar acts, because they are Family of the King and not Royal Family.
There was nothing wrong with my information it was correct.

Princess Astrid of Norway is a member of the Norwegian Royal Family but not the Royal House,which is restricted to the King,Queen,Crown Prince/Princess & their children.Princess Ragnhild lives in Brazil so thats why she doesn't attend.

Princess Christina of Sweden is no longer listed officialy as a member of the Swedish Royal Family .Princess Margaretha I believe lives a private life in the UK,Princess Désirée, Baroness Silfverschiöld also attends State Banquets from time to time.

So really it has nothing to do with them being members of the Royal House or the Royal Family,their simply invited because their the siblings of the Monarch.That makes perfect sense.

I would still class The Infantas Pilar & Margarita as members of the extended Spanish Royal Family & not the Royal House.Perhaps a mail to Casa Real might clear this up for me.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaC View Post

That's true,the Queen attended Infantas Pilar's birthday gathering last summer.The King I believe was still in recovery from his operation,in saying that I haven't seen a photo of the king with his sisters in a long time.(non family group)
Old 01-06-2012, 04:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Recently the House of the king has clarified it, with the topic Urdangarín. Only the descendants of the King are Royal Family. Infanta Pilar and infanta Margarita are not royal family and have no succession rights.

But your opinions and comparisons are not making sense to me.

The king's daughters do not go to gala dinners, why his sisters, with less range, are going to go? In 2006 they were invited to the gala dinner with the President of Portugal, for their special relationship with the country. They may also be invited if the visit is royal.

They are also invited every year to attend National Day.

So they also attend events at certain times, when it is right to do so.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:23 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I think that the relationship between JC and his sisters is mainly rational or factual, very much so because of their horrific family history: JC more or less not living within the family from early childhood (schooling abroad, then living with Franco), the accident in which Alfonso was killed and the handling of the issue, and last but not least the lifelong difficult relationship and rivalery with between Don Juan (and very often the rest of the family) and his son Juan Carlos.

Its hard to imagine they are really close in the initmate sense (eg like Sofia and her sister Irene), I assume that its rather the old fashioned way of royal family understanding that they are bound together by blood and thats it.

Besides, its much more common that sisters are close rather than brother and sister, there is usually more distance anyway.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Recently the House of the king has clarified it, with the topic Urdangarín. Only the descendants of the King are Royal Family. Infanta Pilar and infanta Margarita are not royal family and have no succession rights.

But your opinions and comparisons are not making sense to me.

The king's daughters do not go to gala dinners, why his sisters, with less range, are going to go? In 2006 they were invited to the gala dinner with the President of Portugal, for their special relationship with the country. They may also be invited if the visit is royal.

They are also invited every year to attend National Day.

So they also attend events at certain times, when it is right to do so.
It might just that I'm missing something when translating from Spanish to English,but my opinions & comparisons still make perfect sense to me.

I won't dwell on this topic as its a topic on Relationships within the Royal Family & not who's a member.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I think that the relationship between JC and his sisters is mainly rational or factual, very much so because of their horrific family history: JC more or less not living within the family from early childhood (schooling abroad, then living with Franco), the accident in which Alfonso was killed and the handling of the issue, and last but not least the lifelong difficult relationship and rivalery with between Don Juan (and very often the rest of the family) and his son Juan Carlos.

Its hard to imagine they are really close in the initmate sense (eg like Sofia and her sister Irene), I assume that its rather the old fashioned way of royal family understanding that they are bound together by blood and thats it.

Besides, its much more common that sisters are close rather than brother and sister, there is usually more distance anyway.
You know Duke I had thought of that yesterday,the tragic death of Infante Alfonso must still bring up some difficult memories.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:58 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
What about the King and Queen? What is their relationship like?
Its strained and reduced to the professional representation of the instituiton, see earlier posts.

There is a new book on Sofia, "The loneliness of the Queen"
http://www.vanitatis.com/cache/2012/...ortada-300.jpg
El da que la reina Sofa descubri los escarceos amorosos del Rey

It dates the beginning of the end of the personal relationship to 1976, when the Queen caught the King "in flagranti". I am not sure if this specific occasion is true and I am sure that there is a lot of polemic in the book but in the big picture it is right about the strained relationship that only got worse with the years and the children growing up and bringing new problems along that even deepen the dispute of the parents (Inaki being the latest issue), Sofia not having friends in Spain apart from her close confidante, her sister Irene.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

This may not be the correct place for this but where can I find articles regarding Juan Carlos, his growing up and his family? Thanks
Old 01-23-2012, 01:35 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Another article on the strained marriage of the Kings stated in the book "The solitude of the Queen"
King of Spain 'is serial womaniser who made a pass at Princess Diana' | Mail Online
where its stated that the King is a serial womaniser and that the marriage is "professional" since 35 years.
The King is supposed to have a young girlfriend from Germany for many years, another "open secret" that is now printed for anyone to read.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Were the King and Queen's marriage "arranged"-or in other words,encouraged-or did they choose each other?
Old 01-23-2012, 03:50 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Were the King and Queen's marriage "arranged"-or in other words,encouraged-or did they choose each other?
It was something between arranged and encouraged, no way under "normal" circumstances JC, who was in love with other women at the time, would have chosen Sofia (I mean the situation JC was in at the time, depending on Franco and under pressure to chose a wife what would fit in with the situation, the Borbons strategy to get back on the throne).

Tags
froilán de marichalar, juan carlos, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, pablo urdangarín, queen sofia, relationships, sofia (1938 -), spanish royal family, victoria de marichalar