Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pavlos and Marie Chantal invited Cristina and Iñaki to the famous birthday party, King Felipe was in the difficult position of not celebrating his cousin or having to meet Iñaki. Finally King Felipe went to the party, and his match with Iñaki at a party was not good for his image and that of the Crown and he received many criticisms. Pavlos and Marie Chantal put Iñaki, above Felipe and the Spanish Crown.

For some comments and actions over the years, it is obvious that the Greek Royal Family has taken sides with Cristina and Iñaki. Sofia herself has shown on more than one occasion that she care more about them than the Spanish Crown. Cristina needed a "scapegoat" and that is Letizia, and I think she has been many years before the scandal was public.

Whatever happened it’s none of Marie-Chantal’s business. Commenting on Twitter doesn’t look very good on her.

Last edited:
Pavlos and Marie Chantal invited Cristina and Iñaki to the famous birthday party, King Felipe was in the difficult position of not celebrating his cousin or having to meet Iñaki. Finally King Felipe went to the party, and his match with Iñaki at a party was not good for his image and that of the Crown and he received many criticisms. Pavlos and Marie Chantal put Iñaki, above Felipe and the Spanish Crown.

For some comments and actions over the years, it is obvious that the Greek Royal Family has taken sides with Cristina and Iñaki. Sofia herself has shown on more than one occasion that she care more about them than the Spanish Crown. Cristina needed a "scapegoat" and that is Letizia, and I think she has been many years before the scandal was public.

Even before the scandal I thought the tension between Cristina and Letizia was very noticeable whenever they were seen interacting together in public.

I think you are confusing Princess Leonor with the Infanta Sofia. I believe Leonor is the shorter girl in blue.

Quite sure Sofia is wearing the Heidi-type blue dress and Leonor their more 'standard' flower dress.

Whatever happened it’s none of Marie-Chantal’s business. Commenting on Twitter doesn’t look very good on her.

She must have felt the need to defend her aunt but indeed it would have been much wiser not to comment at all. Clearly there has been a rift in the family for quite some time otherwise it wouldn't show at such a relatively minor incident.

Marie-Chantel should keep out of the situation and keep her comments to herself. By speaking out publicly, she's also showing "her true colours", and it isn't any prettier. JMO

All is out of context. Letizia is talking with somebody, then she went with Leonor and Queen Sofia. Leonor is nervous, her grandma is hugging her and she doesn't want, she is 12 and almost is an adolescent, her mother is fixing her hair, she says stop to them. The video is not the real one, there is another video and show another version of this story, the one of twitter is a version cropped and zoomed. They are walking outside of the church, greeting people, saying goodbye and go for the photoshoot, both Queens smile, Leonor smile, they said goodbye to the priests and then go back to Marivent or another place, only they know. There is a footage on the same video of Queen Sofia forcing Infanta Sofia to pose with the photo, she forces her granddaughter to turn back when she was talking with other person. But Leonor is almost a woman and she is in that age where all children don't want any hug, or kiss.... all people have passed this confusing transition.

Last edited:
No matter what Marie-Chantal felt, she should have kept quiet, it isn't her business to comment publicly. What she feels and states to family and friends privately is one thing, to air her opinion in public on Twitter is quite another. It's extremely tacky. The whole incident was so unfortunate for the Royal Family and in front of Leonor and Sofia, that's the worst part.

On these occasions I always remember Jaime de Marichalar, and I almost regret that he is such a discreet man ... because he would probably give many clues. It is known that he had a bad opinion of Iñaki, and that he appreciated Letizia. I have always thought that if Elena had not divorced Jaime, and fallen under the influence of Cristina and Iñaki, the family dynamics would have been different.

Perhaps it is too coincidental that these images have appeared just the day that Cristina was reunited with the family, and when in a short time the judicial future of Iñaki will be known.

Felipe and Letizia are alone in defense of the Crown and what others have destroyed ... and it is not the first time in recent months that there are attacks, especially against Letizia, to clear the way to Cristina.

It is really difficult to know if this video is recorded by an unknown person (the media were many meters away and they were surrounded by bodyguards), or it is a manipulation of the official video, to erase the people around and sell a story.

Watching the videos in wider planes, knowing the people that were around ... the only surprising thing is an overwhelmed girl ... the rest are interested judgments ...

More about Marie-Chantal's tweet. Reportedly she stated "No grandmother deserves that type of treatment! Wow she’s shown her true colours."

Marie-Chantal Miller, contra Letizia tras la pelea con Sofía: "Ha mostrado su verdadera cara" | Casa Real

Methinks Marie-Chantal has forgotten that while her family has been deposed and no one cares what they do or say, the Spanish royal family actually has a country to rule and the Spaniards do very much care about their royal family. Particularly when it comes to any possible gossip or strife.

The girl looks uncomfortable. She pushes her grandmothers arm away. We must remember Letizia is the mother and mothers know best.

All is out of context. Letizia is talking with somebody, then she went with Leonor and Queen Sofia. Leonor is nervous, her grandma is hugging her and she doesn't want, she is 12 and almost is an adolescent, her mother is fixing her hair, she says stop to them. The video is not the real one, there is another video and show another version of this story, the one of twitter is a version cropped and zoomed. They are walking outside of the church, greeting people, saying goodbye and go for the photoshoot, both Queens smile, Leonor smile, they said goodbye to the priests and then go back to Marivent or another place, only they know. There is a footage on the same video of Queen Sofia forcing Infanta Sofia to pose with the photo, she force her granddaughter to turn back when she was talking with other person. But Leonor is almost a woman and she is in that age where all children don't want any hug, or kiss.... all people have passed this confusing transition.
Can you possibly provide links? We would like to see what you have.

Most chilling for me in this video is that Leonor smiles throughout. No child should have to perform positively in public while they are being touched in a way they are not comfortable with.

The only way you raise a child to be able to say enough is enough in a sometimes wicked world is to let them know they can say that and they don't have to do it with a smile. They don't have to pitch a fit, but they also don't have to grin and bear it. I've seen too many children harmed by bad people because they learned from family/good people that they had to smile and push through touching they did not want. ICK.

Reactions: hel
You only have to type Letizia on Twitter and you will find a lot of videos but I think you already saw them, and the large one is on antena3.com website and YouTube ..... I can't put Antena 3 link because a friend sent them to my whatsapp and I have turn off my cell phone, I don't remember the url.

Actually the scene is at the end of the mass, Juan Carlos walks slowly and Felipe is still waving. Probably, they were just waiting for the press officer or the security people to let them out.

Here is a video with a wider plane.

ANTENA 3 TV | Desencuentro entre la Reina Letizia y la Reina Sofía por una foto durante la Misa de Pascua en Palma

The version you've posted makes it clear that Letizia wasn't trying to get in front of them so much as she walked in front of them, then realized that Sofia had grabbed the girls. How I'd interpret what happened next was that she went over to check in to see if her daughter was ok.

With that said, I've slowed down the video on Youtube, and it's quite clear that, as Letizia is running her hand down Leonor's hair, Sofia reaches up to push Letizia's hand away, at which point Leonor pushed them both away. And then Sofia grabbed Leonor more tightly, closer to her neck and dragged her to their left.

Letizia respected her daughter's boundries and didn't try to touch her again.

Sofia's actions were not ok, especially that second grab and pull after Leonor had made her feelings known.

I didn't have any opinions about Sofia before this, but I'm deeply unimpressed with her behaviour in this video.

Can you possibly provide links? We would like to see what you have.

Most chilling for me in this video is that Leonor smiles throughout. No child should have to perform positively in public while they are being touched in a way they are not comfortable

You make it sound like Queen Sofia is some kind of child molester when there was absolutely nothing wrong with taking a picture with her granddaughter and touching her in that process.

Last edited:
The video is awkward. It is mauvais ton for the current Queen of Spain to behave like this knowing that there are many photographers/video operators around.

Last edited:
On these occasions I always remember Jaime de Marichalar, and I almost regret that he is such a discreet man ... because he would probably give many clues. It is known that he had a bad opinion of Iñaki, and that he appreciated Letizia. I have always thought that if Elena had not divorced Jaime, and fallen under the influence of Cristina and Iñaki, the family dynamics would have been different.

Perhaps it is too coincidental that these images have appeared just the day that Cristina was reunited with the family, and when in a short time the judicial future of Iñaki will be known.

Felipe and Letizia are alone in defense of the Crown and what others have destroyed ... and it is not the first time in recent months that there are attacks, especially against Letizia, to clear the way to Cristina.

It is really difficult to know if this video is recorded by an unknown person (the media were many meters away and they were surrounded by bodyguards), or it is a manipulation of the official video, to erase the people around and sell a story.

Watching the videos in wider planes, knowing the people that were around ... the only surprising thing is an overwhelmed girl ... the rest are interested judgments ...

Lula, you’re always very quick to blame Cristina for any unfortunate situation - and there have been more than one - involving the SRF. Pavlos invited people he cared about to his birthday, Felipe decided to go - got “caught” at (the horror), the same private party as his sister’s husband and it’s the fault of Pavlos, cristina and Inaki. Cristina shows up at the funeral for Infanta Alicia and it’s an attempt to make herself look good/cause controversy instead of her paying her respects to a woman she knew all her life. Juan Carlos goes to Inaki’s birthday in Geneva and you intimated that Cristina would make sure photos were taken and released to the public.. as far as I know we’re still waiting for those pics. Elena has fallen under the influence of her younger sister.. how, exactly? And now, if I understand you correctly, you’re saying the scene from the Easter mass is related to Cristina as well and the video was somehow doctored to make Letizia look bad so Cristina will look good??

I think it’s time for you to either substantiate these claims or stop making them. You would be the first to call out even the mildest negative speculation about Letizia or Felipe.

Felipe and Letizia have been in the number one spot for years now. Felipe, as we’ve heard many times, has been prepared for his role since birth and Letizia has been a part of the family for many years. Any unpleasant scenes making them look bad are their responsibility alone. They’re certainly not the result of an evil genius sister enlisting everyone in a plot to bring them down.

But this video has nothing to do with Cristina and Iñaki. The key players are Leonor, Sofia, and Letizia.
After watching multiple videos it is Letizia who appears to come off as the aggressor by standing in front of Queen Sofia and the girls and blocking their path.
This is not a good look.
Perhaps Letizia did not want the girls to be photographed with their grandmother or to be used as "props" but there should have been another way to say that than this way.

The version you've posted makes it clear that Letizia wasn't trying to get in front of them so much as she walked in front of them, then realized that Sofia had grabbed the girls. How I'd interpret what happened next was that she went over to check in to see if her daughter was ok.

With that said, I've slowed down the video on Youtube, and it's quite clear that, as Letizia is running her hand down Leonor's hair, Sofia reaches up to push Letizia's hand away, at which point Leonor pushed them both away. And then Sofia grabbed Leonor more tightly, closer to her neck and dragged her to their left.

Sofia's actions were not ok, especially that second grab and pull after Leonor had made her feelings known.

I didn't have any opinions about Sofia before this, but I'm deeply unimpressed with her behaviour in this video.

Agreed. IMO, Sofia was totally out of line. If my MIL pushed my hand away like that from MY daughter I would be livid.

We can't see Letizia's face, but her body language showed to me that she was check in on her daughter's and than tried to de-escalate the situation after Sofia reacted so strongly.

Reactions: hel
Queen Sophia of Spain is supposed to be the Dowager Queen, but she oversteps the boundaries and tries to be in charge. Not the first time she did it.

Excellent analysis. :sad: I saw the same thing, especially that grab and pull by the neck.

Agreed. IMO, Sofia was totally out of line. If my MIL pushed my hand away like that from MY daughter I would be livid.

We can't see Letizia's face, but her body language showed to me that she was check in on her daughter's and than tried to de-escalate the situation after Sofia reacted so strongly.

Agree 100%. :ermm:

I have a hunch: that royal families agree beforehand how they will exit a church, or position themselves on a balcony. It's all done beforehand. Makes sense. (One sees the careful jockeying by the millimeter ;) with the BRF at their balcony events). Letizia was turning and I think she expected the girls to be in a particular position. They weren't and so it went from there. It seems like Sofia wanted to exit the church with the girls flanking her. Might have been a surprise to Letizia, we'll never know.

Posters have remarked how 'young' Leonor seems. She's 12 and while I will never claim to be an expert, I am dealing with a 12 year old step-daughter. :huh: They are not the easiest and Leonor was being what a 12 year old girl can be. It's the intrusive camera/cameraperson that was at fault, not the girl (the future Queen) or even Sofia (the Dowager Queen) imo.

I think both the 12 year old and the aging former Queen need to be cut some slack, and for sure the mother. :rolleyes: It's hard enough! JMO.

Last edited:
It looks to me like Letizia goes in front of the girls to shake someones hand on the other side of the aisle. Then she goes to her girls and Sophia at this point has a tussle with Leonor. Are we sure that that really was MC's twitter acct, as I follow her on instagram and she never responds to comments.

All is out of context. Letizia is talking with somebody, then she went with Leonor and Queen Sofia. Leonor is nervous, her grandma is hugging her and she doesn't want, she is 12 and almost is an adolescent, her mother is fixing her hair, she says stop to them. The video is not the real one, there is another video and show another version of this story, the one of twitter is a version cropped and zoomed. They are walking outside of the church, greeting people, saying goodbye and go for the photoshoot, both Queens smile, Leonor smile, they said goodbye to the priests and then go back to Marivent or another place, only they know. There is a footage on the same video of Queen Sofia forcing Infanta Sofia to pose with the photo, she forces her granddaughter to turn back when she was talking with other person. But Leonor is almost a woman and she is in that age where all children don't want any hug, or kiss.... all people have passed this confusing transition.
I agree with your interpretation. This is such a big deal out of nothing. Leonor didn’t want to be touched or hugged, I remember when my children felt this way, when they are coming into their own and not children anymore. The grandparents are oblivious, the parents aren’t, it is not a big thing. Queen Sofia and Letitia have always had a good relationship, Queen Sofia would insist upon it.

From this video we see it from another perspective, the press wasn't close to them, the photographers were meters away.
I think that the only photographer that was there is the official photographer of the House of the King. So why was Queen Sofía trying to pose with her granddaughters to him, is was odd. Letizia went to greet a woman, she probably didn't even notice the photographer because he is always with her and Felipe taking photos and videos. Letizia knew that the photographers could take photos of them all outside the church. Then Letizia checked that her daughters are ok, and touched Leonor's hair as she often does to her girls. I also think that queen Sofia grabbed the girls too tightly. And Marie Chantal should not have commented this at all (she has even posted a photo with a text "Happy grandparents! Family is what it’s all about").

:previous: Agree with you both! :flowers: This is not big deal imo. Totally understand what's going on with Leonor.

I don't want to offend any Letizia fans, but to me she was totally out of line in her reaction to Sofia being photographed with the girls. And the scene of them leaving the cathedral was even more shocking! There is no reason for such aggressive and rude behavior, and to make the girls uncomfortable like that is not okay. Letizia obviously wants it to be clear she is the one and only queen IMO

I don't want to offend any Letizia fans, but to me she was totally out of line in her reaction to Sofia being photographed with the girls. And the scene of them leaving the cathedral was even more shocking! There is no reason for such aggressive and rude behavior, and to make the girls uncomfortable like that is not okay. Letizia obviously wants it to be clear she is the one and only queen IMO

It wasn't Letizia being aggressive. :ermm: Sofia it was who pulled at the girls. It's very clear. We can only see Sofia's reaction, we cannot see Letizia's reaction. It looks like the grandmother was causing the discomfort, not the mother (look at how Leonor consults with her mother as they emerge from the church and how the interactions with the grandmother are made amiable by Letizia). Nothing to do with 'queenship' I think. IMO. More to do with human dynamics, age and all that. :flowers:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom