The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Lula, I am not fluent in Spanish myself but I do understand most of it
Anyway, this wasnt my point. I dont think reading accurate and clear etc makes somebody automatically a good speaker, and that somebody who has an accent is a not so good speaker. For me its more about getting personality into the speech, make it interesting, being able to speak free or improvise etc.

I agree about the strong voice of the King, which is an important feature. Letizia certainly has strong communication skills.

Most of the speeches Royals do are not even written by them but their secretaries, they have to watch their words and often the topic is boring, not so easy, but some have a talent.

Sorry for getting off topic.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:14 AM
Serene Highness

I have heard some of the speeches of the Princess, her voice sounds very affectionate, open and with a good pronounciation, I am impressed of her and her background surely helps dramatically. I also think, that she is practising sometimes with her husband (in the kitchen, while cooking or similar ).

What meakes me more stumble is the discussion about the PoA and the (lack of) support of the king. My impression was always, that whatever JC did, he did it wisely to support the strengh and the continuity of the "crown" or the monarchy as an institution.
Whether he likes the Princes decision for a bride or not, whether he likes Letizia, Leonor or Sofia or not, it now is a FACT, that Letizia is the Princess of Asturias and one day she will become Queen and (if no new Prince is born) Leonor will become the new Princess of Asturias. So I do not understand that he lacks his support for the future reigning generation. This weakens the POAs, as well as the future of the crown..... and may destroy again his whole approach to strengthen and stabilize the monarchy -- where he had such a great portion in re-creating/re-establishing it.

That´s why the King´s behaviour is simply not understandable for me.... seems like he puts his personal emotions above the long-term goal..... maybe it is true, he´s getting older .... a kind of stubborness of age ?
BYe Bine

Old 09-24-2010, 03:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

The King has been behind everything to raise the profile of the heir to guarantee the future of the monarchy, the head of the royal household is only taking orders from him, so it's really a stretch to say he doesn't support the CP couple.
On his gestures with Letizia and his granddaughters, I always had an impression that he disliked the media circus around Letizia and the girls, it was quite obvious that he disliked the media hype around Carla Bruni during the French state visit, he forgot even kissing her at the welcome ceremony. He is a macho man, a very competitive man, even at his age, he still worked to improve his speech, it's not a surprise if he disliked others (Letizia or Leonor) being the center of attention, media stars.
Also there were many rumors about JC's own busy personal life, he probably spent very little time with his son's family in private, or even with his wife, thus didn't know the girls well. The girls are so much closer to their grandma Sofia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
This is exactly what I wanted to say - even if Zarzuela politics will harm the image or standing of Princess Letizia and / or Prince Felipe, it happens with the consent or toleration of the King.

Now that does speak volumes about about the relation between JC, his son and successor and his daughter in law and future Queen consort, at least to me ... and perfectly fits into his usual demeanour that I stated in my previous post.
Not everything is black and white, JC is still a father, he already gave the main course to Felipe and Letizia, maybe he didn't want Elena and Cristina, who are still members of the royal family as long as their father is still the King, to feel being completely left out, thus decided to torelate certain things, certain people.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
Not everything is black and white, JC is still a father, he already gave the main course to Felipe and Letizia, maybe he didn't want Elena and Cristina, who are still members of the royal family as long as their father is still the King, to feel being completely left out, thus decided to torelate certain things, certain people.
I certainly agree with this statement. And, unless you are a hands-on parent, you will never understand. Philosophy classes in university delves into this area quite deeply. When a parent "has" to show a bit of favoritism to one child [for whatever reason] he or she will over compensate to the other sibling. It is human nature. A good parent never wants to hurt their children's feelings, especially in public. Quite hard to accomplish sometimes to which all parents and grandparents can relate.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post

What meakes me more stumble is the discussion about the PoA and the (lack of) support of the king. My impression was always, that whatever JC did, he did it wisely to support the strengh and the continuity of the "crown" or the monarchy as an institution.
Whether he likes the Princes decision for a bride or not, whether he likes Letizia, Leonor or Sofia or not, it now is a FACT, that Letizia is the Princess of Asturias and one day she will become Queen and (if no new Prince is born) Leonor will become the new Princess of Asturias. So I do not understand that he lacks his support for the future reigning generation. This weakens the POAs, as well as the future of the crown..... and may destroy again his whole approach to strengthen and stabilize the monarchy -- where he had such a great portion in re-creating/re-establishing it.
Quite agree. Given that the King doesn't like Letizia and doesn't support them it won't help the standing of the royal family. She is there for the long run whether they like it or not, might as well help them establish their role to be future monarchs.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Administrator

This whole King doesn't like Felipe (his son) and his Lenor and Sofia (his granddaughters) sounds just plain ridiculous if you ask me.

He most likely does or did have issues with Letizia. And before anyone says anything: Yes, I recognize that not ALL families get along or like/love each other. This is bigger than that. As previously mentioned, Juan Carlos has worked hard for the Spanish monarchy for himself, for his father, his grandparents, and his future. Like it or not, that future is Felipe, Letizia, and the young Infantas.

I have yet to see or read of any nasty things that King has done to the Austrias family to denote that he dislikes them. Are we basing this on pictures that are taken in milliseconds? Is the Family on a Big Brother show that I don't know about? Is that how everyone is making their judgements on? A Big Brother show would show how the royals interact 24/7 and then we can say FOR SURE about the relationship of the Spanish Family. Or are we basing these opinions on legitimate Spanish sources? Because I have yet to see any documentation that supports such theories.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I've been following the discussions for some time now and I can only agree with what Zonk just said.
Many things just sound like speculations. We don't know how the relationships between the family members really is.
Some palace "insider" will tell one story and the next "insider" will tell another one. Imo it's all just speculation and won't lead anywhere.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Commoner

I hope that the relationship between the Spanish royals are going to be good for the sake of the nation and as well for the two princesses because it would bad if the royal household if the girls know that they hate their mother
Old 10-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I've been puzzled about the Point de Vue front cover in which Letizia looks like a carved statue, wrapped in fabric. What's going on ??
Old 10-23-2010, 03:43 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
I've been puzzled about the Point de Vue front cover in which Letizia looks like a carved statue, wrapped in fabric. What's going on ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Point de Vue *.:.* En Couverture

PdV is picking up on the ongoing "war of the Infantas" story that usually becomes so obvious when everyone has to get together on high protocol events.

Letizia had usual frozen face and looked as if she isnt part of the the family, body language and outfit-wise with as little interaction as possible with her sisters in law. The body language of everyone involved screams friction and is forced, showing that there is distance between parts of the family.

Its has been showing since autum 2006 at Sofias Alzheimer Gala where Cristina even refused to stand next to or greet Letizia (there were pics and videos in the old thread) but the open hostility has calmed down now, its more a subtle ignoring each other now.

Letizia has learned to do the same face of thunder that her MIL and SILs can do up to perfection
Old 10-25-2010, 02:52 AM
Commoner

It was very well known that the SRF did not apprrove of Letizia because she was previously married. There is a Spanish saying, "que nadie pueda decir que se haya acostado con la Reina de Espana." Let no one be able to say they bedded the Queen of Spain....also, she would be in a better position if she had produced a male child.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Jacinta View Post
also, she would be in a better position if she had produced a male child.
Considering it is the Male that 'chooses' the sex of the child, it isn't Letizia's fault.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Jacinta View Post
It was very well known that the SRF did not apprrove of Letizia because she was previously married. There is a Spanish saying, "que nadie pueda decir que se haya acostado con la Reina de Espana." Let no one be able to say they bedded the Queen of Spain....also, she would be in a better position if she had produced a male child.
I don´t see why not producing a male heir let her in a worse position. Leonor is the heiress, she can reign if she has no brothers, and it seems that they won´t have more children, so there is no problem about that.
Or do you think that the Spanish Royal Family just think that Leonor shouldn´t be queen? There have been other queens in Spain already

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 10-27-2010, 12:56 AM

Looking at the example of his father and uncles, one would think the King would be grateful for two things that override the lukewarm feeling about Letizia in all cases:

1. Unlike the last Prince of Asturias, Felipe has not abdicated and eloped to Cuba after having relationships squashed by his parents

2. King JC had 4 paternal uncles: 2 hemophiliacs (one being the Prince of Asturias) who died early in minor accidents, 1 deaf-mute, and 1 stillborn. Despite this and being directly related to Queen Hemophilia & the High Inbreeding Coefficient in multiple ways, Felipe is healthy. Given that lineage, merely surviving long enough to produce children is an accomplishment.

Someone should ask JC directly about this loony idea that he dislikes his own son and granddaughters.. The reaction would probably be interesting.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

On the occasion of the 35th anniversary as King there is a summary of the relations in this article.

As already known, the relation between King an Prince is not easy, Felipe is more attached to his mother. The King and Infanta Elena are close what makes sense since she got her divorce approved, obviously against her mothers will.

It has become appearent that the King doesnt give visible public support the Prince and that there is no appreciation for the heiress in waiting, Infanta Leonor, neither on the rare occasion when together in public nor on official picture. On the one official pictures that exists, after Leonors birth, the King looks less than excited.

El Rey, cada vez ms alejado de los Prncipes en su treinta y cinco aniversario como monarca
Old 01-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Letizia, Elena y Cristina, separadas tambin en 2011

What the SRF did over the Xmas period. With the exception of the dinner on Dec 24th, everybody is doing their own thing. The King hunting, Sofia in London with her sister, Infantas skiing, Felipe in Brazil.

Before Xmas, the whole family went to the tennis match Federer-Nadal but even there the Queen took seat between the siblings, dividing Asturias from Lugo and Palma.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Letizia, Elena y Cristina, separadas tambin en 2011

What the SRF did over the Xmas period. With the exception of the dinner on Dec 24th, everybody is doing their own thing. The King hunting, Sofia in London with her sister, Infantas skiing, Felipe in Brazil.

Before Xmas, the whole family went to the tennis match Federer-Nadal but even there the Queen took seat between the siblings, dividing Asturias from Lugo and Palma.
Do we really have to put meaning even on seating arrangement? If they don't want to be together, I understand they will not come to this match at all. After all we have seen pictures of them enjoying some family time incompletely. Let's give this family a chance to prove to us they are united. Although I don't think I'm considered worthy of this show since I'm not a Spaniard, I'm just a royal follower though.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Commoner

I'm sorry once again...just have a look at these pics...that marriage is losing more and more..........
Old 01-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carinthia View Post
I'm sorry once again...just have a look at these pics...that marriage is losing more and more..........
I don't think so,maybe they have difficult moments or Letizia may have disagreements with her in-laws,but they are still together and try to be happy
Old 01-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Why always Letizia ? Felipe could be the one having issues with his own family, especially his father who is the real control freak of the family (not Letizia for sure IMO). King's camp haven't been too thrilled about Felipe's actively involvement with the duties when the King was not healthy last year, they have been compaining that he was overly exposed, it should be 'more king, less prince', I guess we are going to see that this year .
Anyway I saw Felipe has been more enthusiastic about his own acts than tagging along his father's, which is perfectly understandable for a man his age.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/1482/108023271.jpg
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1488/108023288.jpg
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/402...627losreye.jpg

Tags
froilán de marichalar, juan carlos, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, pablo urdangarín, queen sofia, relationships, sofia (1938 -), spanish royal family, victoria de marichalar