Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cristina is morally guilty but she remains a sister and daughter. There is no need to mingle with his sister in public but in private, they will have to get along somehow. The parents are the Kings of Spain after all. I mentioned in another thread but once the Kings pass away (and they are both approaching 80), Cristina and Inaki will sit with Felipe and Elena in the front row and a lot of money/assets will have to be distributed and this has to happen in dignity.
Again, I don't think any Spaniard will object if Felipe is in contact on the basis of being siblings.

Felipe, Elena and Cristina are, above all, brothers, at times they have to be together and they will have to talk to solve private matters. When King Juan Carlos or Queen Sofia is ill they will have to talk. Even to solve other private matters they will have to get together to talk. All in all they are brothers and family, they could try to have a good relationship in their private life. But this is something we will never know how they go about it in private.
To remember that one day they will have to appear in public together, even if it is at the funerals of kings.

This gossip is copied from a website that writes the same thing every week, when it is not Sofia, it is Elena, who is angry about the treatment given to Cristina. They need to create controversial gossip for people to read their website, and repeat the same story over and over again.

It is probably true that in this story Cristina has abused the goodwill that have always shown Sofia and Elena.

What evidence do you have that Cristina has abused the "goodwill" shown to her by Elena and Sofia?? We're talking about her mother and her sister, for goodness sake, not some strangers who deign to throw her a scrap of affection every once in awhile.

Talk about creating gossip...

Cristina is morally guilty but she remains a sister and daughter. There is no need to mingle with his sister in public but in private, they will have to get along somehow. The parents are the Kings of Spain after all. I mentioned in another thread but once the Kings pass away (and they are both approaching 80), Cristina and Inaki will sit with Felipe and Elena in the front row and a lot of money/assets will have to be distributed and this has to happen in dignity.
Again, I don't think any Spaniard will object if Felipe is in contact on the basis of being siblings.
I agree. Let's face it. Not all families are perfect and sometimes there is one or more that might be a bit shady or even worse land in jail. But, they are family. While they might inwardly be annoyed that relative strayed for whatever reason, family will be required to "talk" at certain periods of their lives. This family's personal moral dilemma is to be played out in public for the rest of their lives. Plus one is the head of a country! Can it get any worse for him? He must walk a tight line when it comes to his brother-in-law plus not annoy his sister and his beloved nieces and nephews. In private, who knows. He might embrace his sister or just tolerate her. None of our business and we will probably never know. I believe all will run as smooth as possible as long as Sofia and JC live. After that it will be interesting.

Disgraceful that they cannot put on a more united front in public Cristina's grin and Letizia's scowl not sure what is more annoying!

:previous: In all honesty, Felipe and Letizia's attitude and disposition did not change from when they entered the church. As for enmity, they both disrespected all of the Infantas and Felipe's parents.

http://www.therealmyroyals.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/zzzz.jpg

http://www.therealmyroyals.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/126.jpg

http://www.therealmyroyals.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/z8-1024x576.jpg

Christina's smile was a bit wavery and other photos of the service show a continued closeness between the Infantas. As for Christina's big smile? Well, she had just been welcomed by her father and mother and in her situation, that is probably a lot more than she expected in public.

There was NOTHING wrong. Outrageous conclusions are drawn from a video fragment. Come on!

There was a whole ceremony outside with the King's Life Guard, with mounted cavalry, music corps et al. The Bourbon-Deux Siciles were outside and there was a passage to greet all guests and witness the ceremonials.

Don Juan Carlos and Doña Sofía, just back from the festivities in Oslo, arrived when Mass was to start, so they were not yet greeted like the other guests. The Infantas already greeted Don Felipe and Doña Letizia outside so there was no repeat needed inside the chapel.

There was NOTHING wrong. Outrageous conclusions are drawn from a video fragment. Come on!

There was a whole ceremony outside with the King's Life Guard, with mounted cavalry, music corps et al. The Bourbon-Deux Siciles were outside and there was a passage to greet all guests and witness the ceremonials.

Don Juan Carlos and Doña Sofía, just back from the festivities in Oslo, arrived when Mass was to start, so they were not yet greeted like the other guests. The Infantas already greeted Don Felipe and Doña Letizia outside so there was no repeat needed inside the chapel.

While the first half of the participants did curtsy/head nod towards the new Kings, the other half did not (where the infantas were seated), meaning everyone in the first half was not present at the ceremony outside? I find this hard to believe.

Of course everyone has their own perspective but I found the body language super cold, if things were so relaxed outside why not give at least a sign of respect/eye contact inside with all the cameras present?

The SRF are media professionals they know exactly how things will look on camera, regardless of having met outside before it's no big deal to do a head nod when the Kings walk in because the official event starts.

While the first half of the participants did curtsy/head nod towards the new Kings, the other half did not (where the infantas were seated), meaning everyone in the first half was not present at the ceremony outside? I find this hard to believe.

Of course everyone has their own perspective but I found the body language super cold, if things were so relaxed outside why not give at least a sign of respect/eye contact inside with all the cameras present?

The SRF are media professionals they know exactly how things will look on camera, regardless of having met outside before it's no big deal to do a head nod when the Kings walk in because the official event starts.

The second half which you described were kissing and hugging and comforting and greeting the Bourbon-Deux Siciles. The other half were attendants. It is like any funeral: the family and close friends kiss and greet each other. In the church then there are more attendants, not that close and probably they will be thanked afterward, probably not. Part of the congregation will have been invited for lunch, the rest is offered refreshment and leaves the scene to resume daily life. That will not be different at royal funerals.

The second half which you described were kissing and hugging and comforting and greeting the Bourbon-Deux Siciles. The other half were attendants. It is like any funeral: the family and close friends kiss and greet each other. In the church then there are more attendants, not that close and probably they will be thanked afterward, probably not. Part of the congregation will have been invited for lunch, the rest is offered refreshment and leaves the scene to resume daily life. That will not be different at royal funerals.

Sorry this doesn't explain it for me but we can agree to disagree ;)

So far I've not seen a single photo of the outside ceremony and my thoughts are solely based on the arrival at Mass ,which from the footage/photos was not particularly warm,queen Letizia did not at all look pleased to be there.Her mother in law is a far superior actress in public ,Letizia's scowl is most unpleasant as was those of Elena/Cristina and Pilar .

It looked to me that they were all playing a part. Did not like the two sister and the aunt laughing and joking at funeral, especially when they knew full well that the world was watching their very actions. King and Queen looked extremely uncomfortable and probably talked in length with officials their proper public decorum. It was a public show on both side as is most all funerals except this one was broadcasted for world to critique. Both sides made their points and position quite clear to cameras. No matter how we think, it doesn't matter. One took county loyalty over family disappointment in public. The others chose naivety that all has been forgiven and forgotten forever. Absolutely no win either way. In private, none of my business.

I would love to hear the opinion of someone here on the forum how citizens of Spain felt. Did you feel annoyed by either or has the media once again felt it their recipe to stir the pot.

King and Queen of Spain enter the chapel of the Royal Palace for a funeral mass, followed by the clergy and the organ sounds the national anthem of Spain. Their gesture must be solemn because that is what the moment demands, regardless of the situation. Their attitude is not very different at other funerals.

Although I think queen Letizia always is uncomfortable when she knows that an event is going to become an inappropriate media spectacle.

I think Juan Carlos and Sofia exaggerated the gestures towards Cristina at a time that was not appropriate. But that is not surprising, there is for several weeks a campaign of press that is close to them, to restore the image of Cristina. They stay in their world, thinking that the Spaniards are going to forget everything ... and that shows how far they are from the opinion of the citizens.

The Infanta Doña Cristina was cleared from all charges against her. The Public Prosecutor even did not want to prosecute because they could not build a coherent case whih could stand a legal scrutiny.

When Spain is a nation under the rule of law, and Justice has been spoken, then the Infanta Doña Cristina deserves it to be rehabilitated and I am happy Don Juan Carlos acknowledged this. Justice is spoken in the name of the King. Justice has spoken. It is as simple as that.

Then about "smiling faces" during the service: the Infanta Doña Alicia died in March. It is May now. The grief and sadness for a nearly 100-years old lady will not have been too depressing the event.

King and Queen of Spain enter the chapel of the Royal Palace for a funeral mass, followed by the clergy and the organ sounds the national anthem of Spain. Their gesture must be solemn because that is what the moment demands, regardless of the situation. Their attitude is not very different at other funerals.

Although I think queen Letizia always is uncomfortable when she knows that an event is going to become an inappropriate media spectacle.

I think Juan Carlos and Sofia exaggerated the gestures towards Cristina at a time that was not appropriate. But that is not surprising, there is for several weeks a campaign of press that is close to them, to restore the image of Cristina. They stay in their world, thinking that the Spaniards are going to forget everything ... and that shows how far they are from the opinion of the citizens.
It is irrelevant what Spaniards are going to remember. Infanta Christina is not a member of the royal family. Similar to Belgian royals, the Spanish royals tend to fail to rise to the occasion. It is entertaining to watch them.

Justice has determined that Cristina is civilly responsible for profiting from money that her husband illegally earned.

She has not been sentenced to jail, but the judge has determined that she has a responsibility and therefore has to pay money.

Justice has determined that Cristina is civilly responsible for profiting from money that her husband illegally earned.

She has not been sentenced to jail, but the judge has determined that she has a responsibility and therefore has to pay money.

Which is much ado about nothing in the end. Cristina paid the fine, and more, years ago. The idea that what was clearly a show trial right from the start was allowed to proceed still amazes me, (and one has to wonder how much taxpayer money was wasted on it). My understanding from recent articles is that the Prosecutor's office - the same people who want to increase Inaki Urdangarin's sentence - also want the Supreme Court to clarify that Cristina de Borbon should never have been brought to trial.

Juan Carlos and Sofia didn't exaggerate anything. They were happy to see their daughter and showed it publicly. No doubt it bothers some that it's not Cristina who doesn't seem to fit in, after all.

Hopefully the next generation of Spanish Bourbons will make a better job of acting like a united royal family in public and family rifts and scowling faces will become a distant memory.

They have very different styles but I've always had the impression Letizia and Sofia got along well.

If not, they truly know how to put on a major show in public.

They have very different styles but I've always had the impression Letizia and Sofia got along well.

If not, they truly know how to put on a major show in public.

Very true. I personally take anything written in this tabloid format with a grain of salt. This reporter does not actually know and has only repeated stories of other publications. Until I read an actual interview by either Letizia or Sofia about how they hate each other, I discredit. The media and gossips would just love to have an out-and-out battle between the two so they can clap their hands in glee. Hell, some stupid people are still blaming Letizia for Cristina's family's embezzlement problems and the reason for court case and future jail time of son-in-law. Media blood suckers..........blaaaaa

Last edited:
Sofia is one of the best actresses around, a royal Meryl Streep so to say.
Letizia not so much.

Sofia is one of the best actresses around, a royal Meryl Streep so to say.
Letizia not so much.

What does this mean? I'm sure that boht of them are capable of "acting" If you mean acting graciously in public.. and concealing it if they have problems or dslike certaian things.

What does this mean? I'm sure that boht of them are capable of "acting" If you mean acting graciously in public.. and concealing it if they have problems or dslike certaian things.

Sofia is able to smile away everything and anything, Letizia sometimes can't conceal personal emotion (eg she looked visibly uncomfortable when Cristina showed up at the funeral of Infanta Alicia).

I think Letizia admires Queen Sofia, and both have a good relationship. But they are not best friends.

We really do not know what happens, but as always they have invented a story in which Letizia is the main culprit ... even if she is on her back and one can not see her face or gestures.

Queen Sofia is always a saint and victim of her husband or in this case, her daughter-in-law, when I believe that the main culprit is her for her efforts to force the photos. Sofia is always very insistent with forcing her grandchildren to pose, girls especially Leonor, seem uncomfortable to be seized by the grandmother and be forced to pose.

It’s true we don’t know what the context of the scene was but taking it at face value it looks pretty bad on Letizia’s part.

In the videos I’ve seen the two girls look completely lost without an adult right there guiding their actions. They don’t know where to look, they don’t know where to stand, in one video Leonor almost runs to catch up with her father and tries to cling to his hand I believe as they’re entering the church.

In the video that’s causing so much controversy it looks to me like Sofia is trying to do two things. One, pose with her granddaughters, likely because she’s a proud grandmother AND because she’s been playing this game for a long time and knows that these sorts of images are what make the majority of people at least momentarily care about the monarchy. Two, show the girls how to handle this sort of situation without looking like deer in headlights.

Neither girl was being forced to do anything at the start and Leonor only started to protest once her mother got involved. At that point she - a twelve year old who was just deemed to be worthy of one of Spain’s highest honours - proceeds to shove her grandmother’s arm off her shoulders. I don’t care what the circumstances were leading up to this unfortunate incident - that is completely unacceptable and if I were Felipe after watching it Little Miss Leonor would be put in her place hard and fast, regardless of whatever excuse Letizia made for her.

I have to say, the best part of it all is Juan carlos’s face while he watches it all happen. Priceless.

Back
Top Bottom