Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Astrid, is a part of the Royal Family, you can see it in the web. But the other sister, Princess Ranghild doesn´t attend events.
It's much easier for princess Astrid to attend royal events in Oslo as she lives there herself, than it is for princess Ragnhild as she lives in Rio de Janeiro in Brasil and have done so since she got married in 1953.

As for the Swedish princesses, princess Margaretha doesn't like to be in the spotlight and she has lived in England since she married in 1964, princess Birgitta have lived in Germany since 1961. Princess Désirée have attended royal events now and then but she lives 3-4 hours drive from Stockholm, and being busy with her own family and being mistress of Koberg castle.

Not really, it's the British press the one which seems obsesses with the topic now. I hate how we're giving so much press to an unreliable author who makes up her books :bang:

Not really, it's the British press the one which seems obsesses with the topic now. I hate how we're giving so much press to an unreliable author who makes up her books :bang:

Why is the book made up? As I said before, JC's antics have been "common knowledge" in Spain for many years. Like Berhard of the Netherlands, he is expected to have one or two illegitimate children who might become public knowledge after his death.

The only thing that is new is that now somebody (Pilar Eyre) wrote a book about something people have already known for ages - although not made a big deal out of due to the respect for JC's life achievements to Spain.

In that respect, I believe the Inaki case helped cutting the respectful attitude the media has had at least with regard to the King.

What everyone knows comes out now is it because of the Inaki’s Affair.
The Mistresses remind silent which was well and I think He should not dare making a pass with the Iconic Princess of Wales.
This wedding was arranged by Queen Frederika and Crown Prince Harald was also on her List ..

The Mistresses remind silent which was well and I think He should not dare making a pass with the Iconic Princess of Wales.
This wedding was arranged by Queen Frederika and Crown Prince Harald was also on her List ..

Maria-Olivia we don't know for certain that advances were made towards the late Princess of Wales.

My late grandfather used to say 'Paper does not refuse ink' so I'd take anything written about the King with a grain of salt unless we have concrete evidence.

Why is the book made up? As I said before, JC's antics have been "common knowledge" in Spain for many years. Like Berhard of the Netherlands, he is expected to have one or two illegitimate children who might become public knowledge after his death.

The only thing that is new is that now somebody (Pilar Eyre) wrote a book about something people have already known for ages - although not made a big deal out of due to the respect for JC's life achievements to Spain.

In that respect, I believe the Inaki case helped cutting the respectful attitude the media has had at least with regard to the King.

For two reasons:
A) It's her modus operandi, she has written at least two books on royalty before (on Queen Ena and Empress Eugenie and the stuff she makes up is amazing, including writing that there is a painting in El Prado of Empress Eugenie's mother (I'm sorry for the crude language, I don't know how to say it in another way, if it's inappropriate I am sorry) giving oral sex to the King! :eek::lol: This painting, of course, does not exist) If you read Spanish you may want to check this thread on a Spanish forum where they keep track of many of the writer's fantasies turned "historical facts" in her novels: DINASTÍAS | Los Foros de la Realeza • Ver Tema - Ena, por Pilar Eyre

B) She has compiled all the rumours that have ever existed about them, including the far etched one of Queen Sonja threatening the then Prince Harald to kill herself if he didn't marry her instead of Queen Sofia, claims Queen Sofia doesn't speak Spanish (when she speaks Spanish perfectly), says Princess Kalina's husband and Princess Letizia dated and he was the one who introduced her to Prince Felipe when they broke up (story that has been denied by two Bulgarian princesses and is a bit impossible considering Kalina and her husband started dating in 1999, so Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia must have started dating back then too), how not a single woman or a "friend" has ever come out and said they had had an affair with the King and suddenly she finds 1200 women claiming to have slept with King Juan Carlos, how she transcripts private conversations the King had with his mistresses in bed and a long list of things that do no make the least bit of sense.
Also, there are many instances post 1975 of the Queen and King being affectionate in public.

As I said in an earlier post, I have no clue if all those details that Pilar Eyre is referring to are correct.

What is correct is the big picture, the strained marriage of the Kings (and this thread is about relationships and not a book discussion thread) that has been well documented in the past - there are many instances post 1975 where the King & Queen being not so affectionate in public and it has become worse in recent years.

The last incident I recall was during the visit of the pope where JC refused Sofia's help in a very brusque way, another at a football match, where he turned away when she wanted to kiss his cheek. All in all very rude behaviour in public from the King's side, he choses not to be the "acting professional" that his wife has taken in to perfection.

Thanks An Ard Ri for your answer. I like your threads in the Royal Forums. Kind regards

As I said in an earlier post, I have no clue if all those details that Pilar Eyre is referring to are correct.

What is correct is the big picture, the strained marriage of the Kings (and this thread is about relationships and not a book discussion thread) that has been well documented in the past - there are many instances post 1975 where the King & Queen being not so affectionate in public and it has become worse in recent years.

The last incident I recall was during the visit of the pope where JC refused Sofia's help in a very brusque way, another at a football match, where he turned away when she wanted to kiss his cheek. All in all very rude behaviour in public from the King's side, he choses not to be the "acting professional" that his wife has taken in to perfection.

As you are posting articles discussing the book and asked why it was made up I thought it was appropriate to post about the book, specially considering how two incredibly wrong facts that can easily be checked by anyone (Queen Sofía not speaking Spanish and the Prince and Princess starting dating in 1999) are given as true and the rest of the info published in the book doesn't come from any source.

I would like to know where this strained relationship since 1975 have been so well documented, as the example in your post is from last year. (The incident during the Pope visit wasn't the King refusing help, it was the King, mistaken and very rudely, telling the Queen she shouldn't be there. It was a matter of protocol and he was wrong) I don't remember the football match incident, do you have any video or article of that?
It seems we really don't know if the rumours of a strained relationship are true either.

I dont care for the book or its details but the rumours of the infidelities of the King have been out there for many years (Marta Gaya the most well known one) and that the Kings as a consequence lead separate lives.

I dont have a link re the "football incident" but it was documented on TRF in some of the threads.

I have to say I am sad about all these stories. Of course I was aware about the infidelity stories in connection with JC - but I do not understand why he would be rude to Sofia - she seems to fullfill her role dutifully and with dignity. So why to embarras/offend her in public and/or private?

Last edited:
Sad stories. Might be partiallly true but i think it contains a high degree of exageration.
The JC&S couple fell in love. It was not arranged. Princess Sofia was the daughter of a reigning King. Juan Carlos has a perfect pedigree BUT at the time of the marriage he was nothing. A young prince without clear future and living in a dictature under Franco constsntly rounded by spies and in a bad financial condition. I do not believe that Queen Federica arranged it. It was not a big chance for Sofia at this time. Queen Federica just organized cruises in Greece inviting all the european royals that is all.
As regards Harald this is strange. Ive always though that they tried to marry him to Princess Irini. Never heard for Sofia.
Ive met Queen Sofia. She is an attractive personne and it is sad if she is so unhappy.
And she is doing a great job for Spain.

JC was in love with other women at the time but he knew (and told them) that he would not be able to marry outside royalty.
JC had to please his own family and, more importantly, Franco. Both parties requested a royal bride and Sofia was a good choice.

Did they fall in love? I highly doubt it and I am sure this marriage would not have taken place without those circumstances mentioned above (not unusual within royal circles). JC obeyed for the greater good, as it was without question to do so in these times.

If there was love, I guess it was more on Sofia's part than on JC's. But he will have appreciated her since Sofia has played a major part in JC's life-success story. They certainly were accomplices at those difficult times.

The book has nothing to do with Inaki's scandal, Pilar Eyre had been preparing the book back in 2008 right after JC had the lung surgery. in fact Jaime Penafiel had a similar book back in 2008 talking about the marital crisis of JC and Sofia and JC's affairs to 'celebrate' 70th birthday of JC and Sofia. Some journalists/writers just wanted to make money out of the famous people whenever they saw an opportunity.
She doesn't have a happy marriage now, but it doesn't make her an unhappy person. She is a happy mom, happy mom-in-law, happy grandma, she loves her work, she probably cares less what her hubby does now (with whoever).

The King seems to have a good relationship with his first cousin,Infante Carlos Duke of Calabria.During his childhood Juan Carlos spent a lot of time with Infante Carlos & his parents,Infante Alfonso & Infanta Alicia.They were more or less the only family the King had in Spain as his parents & other siblings lived in exile in Portugal .

The King & his cousin

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-ddiLnINFkLw/TDUC6dVsJ-I/AAAAAAAA0Tg/MFQTYQT24ps/ROYSPA%252520-%252520Infante%252520Carlos%25252C%252520Prince%252520of%252520the%252520Two%252520Sicilies%25252C%252520Duke%252520of%252520Calabria%252520%252526%252520HRH%252520Juan%252520Carlos%252520I%25252C%252520King%252520of%252520Spain.%252520Kingdom%252520of%252520Spain%25253B%252520European%252520Union%252520%252528EU%252529.jpg

If there had been anything between Diana and Juan Carlos (which I doubt, anyway), Sofia seems completely unaware of it. In the second group picture she is positively beaming at Diana.

Also, how can Spaniards perceive Sofia as cold. ? To me she appears to be the friendliest and loveliest of ladies.

Those 'rumours' about a supposed fling between the King & the late Princess have been around for many years,every now & again the media will regurgitate hoping that someone will believe it as fact :D

The dysfunctional Borbon family
Los Borbones, una familia desestructurada

One son in law about to be charged by police for fraud, another one being questioned soon for allowing a minor using firearms. The King himself breaks his hip during hunting holidays with "the other woman". This is the SRF, you couldnt make it up.

Corinna Sayn Wittgenstein has been close to the King for many years, there is a thread about her and her family on TRF
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f78/princely-houses-of-sayn-wittgenstein-2080.html

The dysfunctional Borbon family
Los Borbones, una familia desestructurada

One son in law about to be charged by police for fraud, another one being questioned soon for allowing a minor using firearms. The King himself breaks his hip during hunting holidays with "the other woman". This is the SRF, you couldnt make it up.

Corinna Sayn Wittgenstein has been close to the King for many years, there is a thread about her and her family on TRF
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f78/princely-houses-of-sayn-wittgenstein-2080.html

I have read that Queen Sofia has remained in Greece despite Juan Carlos' surgery. Good for her. I wasn't aware of this Corinna person until recently.

While I admire the Queen immensely, I'm not sure she is setting a good example by "putting up" with the King's action, even if just a tiny part of what we hear is true. And if everything (or nearly everything) is accurate, then it's just wrong; no woman should be subjected to disrespectful and humiliating behaviour like that.

While I admire the Queen immensely, I'm not sure she is setting a good example by "putting up" with the King's action, even if just a tiny part of what we hear is true. And if everything (or nearly everything) is accurate, then it's just wrong; no woman should be subjected to disrespectful and humiliating behaviour like that.

I take your point, Artemisia. But I wonder if part of the problem was being caught between the generations who "put up" with such carrying on and the younger generation who don't (regardless of the prize on offer). ?

Religion, of course, is another factor .... not that Catholics don't divorce, of course they do. But I have read that Elena's divorce was frowned upon in this predominately Catholic country. ?

2 Queens? That's insulting. There's 1 Queen and at least 1 concubine.

This Corinna person has been around for about 5 years and she is being referred to as a Queen. I feel ill. :bang:

One wonders, had Juan Carlos been forced to abdicate, just how long she would remain on the scene. ? Hmmm. !!

One wonders, had Juan Carlos been forced to abdicate, just how long she would remain on the scene. ? Hmmm. !!
Depends how much money the old boy has stashed away. She won't come free.

Back
Top Bottom