The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
It's very obvious to see for some time now that Felipe does (and maybe has to do) his utmost to support his wife up to the degree that he is holding her hand all the time and that one could fear that she collapses in case he takes his hand away. It always looks as if he has to buoy her to get her through the day. In the first one or two years of her marriage Letizia looked much more confident IMO but for some reason then transformed into the shadow of her former self that we can see today. She probably thought she could conquer the SRF with her personality but wasn't prepared for an institution where she is only a representative without having any say. The only person who publicly cares about Letizia apart from Felipe is Queen Sofia, neither the King nor both Infantas seem to care much. I can't provide any sources but on old forums or threads it was always stated that the Infantas tried to help in the beginning but were kind of put off by Letizia as she thought she knew better. Especially with Cristina there must have been a clash at some point as there are many pictures showing them either non-interacting or even openly ignoring each other with faces of thunder ... I recall one picture from late 2004 where Letizia touches Cristina's arm with the result that Cristina gives her an annoying look.

I am curious if there will be a photoshoot or who will attend the good-bye dinner this year ... remember what happened last year

http://actualidad.terra.es/addon/img...e62b3f52cg.jpg
Wow, I never saw that picture before. Letizia looks so happly and Cristina so jealous. Shame, but life changes all the time.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Heir Apparent

That's an icnredibly unflattering photo of Cristina.

I've always been a fan of Infanta Cristina but her behaviour in the past year or so has really disappointed me. I have no idea whether there has been some major argument between Letizia and Cristina, nobody here does. However, Cristina's inability to keep private matters out of the public arena has disappointed me; Letizia undoubtedly comes across as the "better" party for maintaining her dignity in public.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don´t know Little Star, we have all had acquaintances (I don´t say friends for a reason) who manage to annoy us and then look serene and then we become the "bad guys" for reacting. In this case of course I don´t know. Anyway Infanta Cristina just towers over Letizia that can make her seem to look down on her, well literally she does look down on her....lol
Old 08-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Aristocracy

This is a pic, I see the video and realy Cristina look behind because she is a step ahead to Letizia and she is go back. Cristina don't get hangry with Letizia, is only a pic for an instant manipulated. This pic is bad for Cristina, imo, not for Letizia.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Courtier

I know it was widely discussed for years but please can someone make a summary how it could happen that Felipe married Letizia? I´m still wondering: Who of the royal family was against the marriage and if Felipe is in fact a mummy´s darling (or a daddy´s darling?) is this the reason why only he and Sofia support Letizia? And: Is it really important concerning the Spanish constitution whether Leti is divorced since they always again said he has to marry a roman-catholic noble woman.
And: How is the latest information what will happen in case Leti gives birth to a boy?
Old 08-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
I know it was widely discussed for years but please can someone make a summary how it could happen that Felipe married Letizia? I´m still wondering: Who of the royal family was against the marriage and if Felipe is in fact a mummy´s darling (or a daddy´s darling?) is this the reason why only he and Sofia support Letizia? And: Is it really important concerning the Spanish constitution whether Leti is divorced since they always again said he has to marry a roman-catholic noble woman.
And: How is the latest information what will happen in case Leti gives birth to a boy?
The old law required Felipe to marry a royal (a noble woman was not good enough either), but this old law had been abandoned by the government in the 70s (78 ?). Letizia is as eligible as any other royal woman in Europe to marry Felipe by the new law.
There were too many stories floating around, Felipe's biographer said that the King had no problem with the marriage, Sofia needed some time; Sofia's biographer said that Sofia supported the wedding, without her, there would not have been a wedding; Jaime Penafiel said that Sofia was backing up her boy to send his father an ultimatum; a couple other gossip writers said that Cristina was the one supporting her brother, and etc. Anyway, I guess no outsider knows exactly the whole story, probably only the closest family members know what really was going on.
The succession law hasn't been changed yet. If Letizia gives birth to a boy, he will be ahead of Leonor to inherit the throne.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Aristocracy

Yes, Prince Felipe only need King permission and not opposition from Spanish parlament to marry. Nothing about origin or condition of his future wife is write into the 1978 spanish constitution, is the law.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapian View Post

This is a pic, I see the video and realy Cristina look behind because she is a step ahead to Letizia and she is go back. Cristina don't get hangry with Letizia, is only a pic for an instant manipulated. This pic is bad for Cristina, imo, not for Letizia.
I am so glad that you said this and that the picture was taken from a video. We all know what we look like if you "stop & start" videos of ourselves -- frightening! People look mad (when they are not) silly (when at a serious event) etc.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Heir Apparent

So that clearly mean that we shouldn't believe to the photos which we see.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
That is what I thought of when Alexandra Frederiksborg married Martin: She was after all married to Joachim for nine years but not one well-known noble attended her second wedding. She must have met lots of other royals or nobility during her marriage but it seems that there developed no close friendship during those years. Is all that invitings (f.i. to WA´s 40th birthday) just politeness or is it not wanted that they become friends in private? Or did they all drop the friendship not to get in trouble with the Danish royal family?
Paul Burrel was in Spain promoting his book about Diana in 2004 and he was asked for the advice he could give to Letizia, he said that Letizia should treasure her friends before the marriage, those people would be about the only real friends she got. From Diana's experience, the BRF's family friends, Charles' friends, wives or girlfriends of Charles' friends who had befriended with Diana didn't turn out to be her friends at the end. I'm not surprised if this had happened to Alexandra, I think the same would happen to the commoners who currently are married to the royals if the marriages end in divorce.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Oh, D of M, I don't for one minute believe that Letizia holds Felipe's hand for just support or that she is going to faint. I believe she loves to hold his hand and he hers. That is one of the reasons that I enjoy seeing this couple -- brings back memories of me and my late husband. To hold hands in public is a joy. Plus my husband was sought after enough that I enjoyed rubbing it in others faces.
Exactly. Letizia had been to quite a few single events herself, she looked very confident on her own. Their hand holding were simply because they loved to, it had nothing to do with her desperation for his support or vice versa.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
Paul Burrel was in Spain promoting his book about Diana in 2004 and he was asked for the advice he could give to Letizia, he said that Letizia should treasure her friends before the marriage, those people would be about the only real friends she got. From Diana's experience, the BRF's family friends, Charles' friends, wives or girlfriends of Charles' friends who had befriended with Diana didn't turn out to be her friends at the end. I'm not surprised if this had happened to Alexandra, I think the same would happen to the commoners who currently are married to the royals if the marriages end in divorce.
I couldn't imagine a more inappropriate person to give advice on friendship as Paul Burrell who still promotes himself as Diana's butler and only friend but lead the meaning of friendship ad absurdum when publicly betraying her trust by writing a book to squeeze money out of the relation. I think either way is possible, keep old friends or make new ones, always depends on the characters involved.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I couldn't imagine a more inappropriate person to give advice on friendship as Paul Burrell who still promotes himself as Diana's butler and only friend but lead the meaning of friendship ad absurdum when publicly betraying her trust by writing a book to squeeze money out of the relation. I think either way is possible, keep old friends or make new ones, always depends on the characters involved.
PB was talking about Diana's experience, actually nothing new for people who had followed a bit of Diana's life. Even Diana herself admitted that most of her hubby's friends who befriended with her at one point were not her friends at the end.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don´t believe that Paul Burrel can give advice to princesses, he was Diana´s butler for goodness´ sake not her friend. After her death he managed to make a good living from saying he was her close friend and she was not there to contradict him.
I can´t help but think that people going to hear his lectures, promotions (or whatever he calls them) are very naive.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
The friendship in the past has tended to be between Queen Noor and Queen Sofia. However, it's also apparent that Princess Alia shares quite a warm relationship with the Spanish royals.

The King may not have attended the Spanish CP wedding in 2004, but he was represented by his wife, mother, brother and sister-in-law. I'm fairly sure he had a valid reason at the time for not going. Moreover the Spanish royals were in Jordan days later for Prince Hamzah's wedding.

So far as the Expo is concerned there was no official announcement that the Jordanian royals would attend; the story originated from a magazine (Hola maybe?!).
Exactly. JC and the late King Hussein were also buddies. King Abdullah probably had his own reason for not attending the Spanish CP wedding, afterall, he hasn't attended any royal wedding in Europe since he became King, the Spanish wedding was an exception for Queen Rania who usually didn't attend the royal weddings neither.
Felipe and Letizia had attended Hashem's pre-wedding reception and at the same time were holidaying in Jordan (staying at one of their palaces) during the week of easter in 2006.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Quote:
..... and to b) convince the spanish public of Letizia's quality as future Queen of Spain and I believe there is still a long way to go......
DM, with all seriousness, other than experience accumulated with time, What do you think Letizia is not doing / has not done very well to show that she is still lacking qualities for being the queen?

What would someone more suitable as CP be doing that Letizia isn't doing?

Forgive my ignorance but when I watch them, I see Felipe and Letizia working day in, day out ...and their activities also tend more to be on the serious side of things rather than social.

Or is it just that case that the bar for Letizia has been set so high ( unconsciously to make her compensate for the way she was introduced to the public - Fait accomply )
Old 08-21-2008, 04:42 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkg View Post
DM, with all seriousness, other than experience accumulated with time, What do you think Letizia is not doing / has not done very well to show that she is still lacking qualities for being the queen?

What would someone more suitable as CP be doing that Letizia isn't doing?

Forgive my ignorance but when I watch them, I see Felipe and Letizia working day in, day out ...and their activities also tend more to be on the serious side of things rather than social.

Or is it just that case that the bar for Letizia has been set so high ( unconsciously to make her compensate for the way she was introduced to the public - Fait accomply )
I was talking about the big picture that comes with time and not accusing Letizia of not doing something. Sofia is highly respected as Queen of Spain, not only for the work she does but also for her professional attitude by putting duty and the "mission Spanish monarchy" above everything, even above her personal feelings. Many people in Spain give credit to her for putting on a brave face in public and getting on with the situation (eg when the Kings' "alleged" affairs became public) and holding the family together. Plus, she is a full royal which is a bonus for being respected as Queen, perfectly prepared from an early age. Bottom line: Sofia is almost flawless and it will be very hard for anyone to fill her boots. Therefore, and this is what I meant by my comment, it is essential that Sofia will continue to show publicly that she entrusts Letizia with becoming a capable Queen, and this is where her part ends. The rest will be up to Letizia, convincing the public by working hard over the years ... not to forget that Felipe is the one that really counts - it will be much more important that Spaniards consider him as a capable King rather than considering Letizia a capable Queen.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

There were stories in magazines a long long time ago that the more rumours were flying about JC the closer Q Sofia was getting to "Juanito" during photoshoots. We fail to understand sometimes that the royals know they are under the microscope and they are aware the photographers are always present. It is very important for Q Sofia to show that Letizia has been accepted by the SRF since she represents with Felipe the future. She seems to be doing double duty some times since the Infantas seem distant and the King is in a rank all by himself.
DoM I understand your points and it is unfortunate and also to be expected. If Letizia belonged in a Princely or Royal House she would not have to learn so much so fast and try to adjust to a life so foreign from what she knew all her life. Luckily so far Felipe seems supportive and hopefully he will continue to be.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
There were stories in magazines a long long time ago that the more rumours were flying about JC the closer Q Sofia was getting to "Juanito" during photoshoots. We fail to understand sometimes that the royals know they are under the microscope and they are aware the photographers are always present. It is very important for Q Sofia to show that Letizia has been accepted by the SRF since she represents with Felipe the future. She seems to be doing double duty some times since the Infantas seem distant and the King is in a rank all by himself.
DoM I understand your points and it is unfortunate and also to be expected. If Letizia belonged in a Princely or Royal House she would not have to learn so much so fast and try to adjust to a life so foreign from what she knew all her life. Luckily so far Felipe seems supportive and hopefully he will continue to be.
Weak point,at this day and age,as well as 40 years ago,generations of Royals married outside their own inbreeded circles,a wise and refreshing decision.Think of the Sonja´s the Silvia´s Henrik´s,Claus´s...should I continue?Each RF has other demands/priorities so
each lives up to that.

It´s not much of an effort for HM Queen Sofia,she actually does like HRH Princess Letizia.A lot.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
Weak point,at this day and age,as well as 40 years ago,generations of Royals married outside their own inbreeded circles,a wise and refreshing decision.Think of the Sonja´s the Silvia´s Henrik´s,Claus´s...should I continue?Each RF has other demands/priorities so
each lives up to that.

It´s not much of an effort for HM Queen Sofia,she actually does like HRH Princess Letizia.A lot.
Lucien, you always put thing in proper prospective without any personal judgements and I appreciate this. I think people just like to try and find bits of trouble because they want there to be trouble.

Tags
froilán de marichalar, juan carlos, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, pablo urdangarín, queen sofia, relationships, sofia (1938 -), spanish royal family, victoria de marichalar