Rank, Styles and Titles of the Spanish Royal Family while in Exile

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

Gentry
Why is the king called son of the pretender to the Spanish throne before he came to the throne? And is there anymore photos of him with the british royals?

Because there was no monarchy at that time. Franco picked him as the next rule. And according to these photos, he thought he would be the best successor about 20 years before he died and afterwards he was still dead. But my knowledge of all of this is not great.

Rank, Styles, and Titles of the Spanish Royal Family in Exile

I didn't know where to post this question, but what was their rank and title before they were restored as Spain's royal family in 1975? I'm asking because I found this website containing a photo of Alfonso's former burial site in Portugal. The tombstone clearly reads S.A.R. el Serenissimo Señor Don Alfonso de Borbón y Borbón. Does that mean that when they were in exile, they were sort of "demoted" and styled only as an HSH, and that they were only given the rank of Royal Highness when King Juan Carlos was proclaimed by Franco as his successor?

S.A.R is (if I am correct) Son Altesse Royale, which translates into His/Her Royal Highness.

:previous: that would be Su Alteza Real in Spanish. That confuses me, though, because if I'm not mistaken, serenissimo is abbreviated the way it is spelled on the tombstone. Now where does that leave us?:lol: The title Infante was also written on it, so there's no question about that.

Well i think that they were allowed to keep the titles Count and Countess of Barcelona but i think everything else was taking like the Prince Princess King and Queen

Everyone who knew the Spanish Royal Family here in Cascais always addressed the Count of Barcelona and D. Maria de las Mercedes as "Your Majesty" and their children as "Your Royal Highness", just as if they were ruling in Spain. Officially I have no idea how they were addressed but I have heard some Spanish Diplomats´ children addressing them in the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom