Queen Letizia's Official Visit to Vienna, Austria: October 27, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lula

Imperial Majesty
Country
Spain
Queen Letizia will travel to Vienna on October 27 in her first solo trip as Queen.

She will visit Vienna to open an exhibition of Velázquez. President of Austria Heinz Fischer will host a lunch and in the evening they will open the exhibition.

El primer viaje oficial de la Reina Letizia al extranjero | loc | EL MUNDO

Kunsthistorisches Museum: Velazquez-Schau: Königin kommt nach Wien | www.heute.at

http://www.khm.at/besuchen/ausstellungen/velazquez/

Queen Letizia

Lunch hosted by Their Excellencies the President of the Federal Republic of Austria and Mrs. Fischer in honor of Her Majesty Queen Letizia
Hofburg Presidential Palace. Vienna

Opening of the exhibition "Velázquez"
Kunsthistorisches Museum. Vienna

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been all over the Austrian newspapers this morning. Great that she will come to Vienna again! 10 years ago she was here with Felipe at the funeral of our late President Klestil.

Please tell me that all guests at the Sacher Hotel receive their very own Sacher torte when they check in!!!!!!!

Please tell me that all guests at the Sacher Hotel receive their very own Sacher torte when they check in!!!!!!!
No idea, but that should be compulsory, IMO. With the fisrt day breakfast :p

Königin Letizia: Details ihres Wien-Besuchs - wien.ORF.at

Letizia has a suite at her disposal although she will not stay overnight. She will have lunch with the Austrian President, Heinz Fischer, and possibly visit a social project. The inauguration of the exhibition will be at 6:30pm, and Letizia will hold a speech in english. Kunstmuseum Vienna got 7 paintings from Velazquez from Prado Museum.

Thank you for clarifying this. I know awhile ago, there was a "conversation", so to speak, of the Queen only speaking Spanish? I'd always wondered if she spoke any other languages, but I guess she knows English well enough to make speeches? Does anyone know if English is taught in schools in Spain as a 2nd language??
In any case, I'm glad that she is able to go on her own now and make speeches, converse, and understand what other people are saying around her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for clarifying this. I know awhile ago, there was a "conversation", so to speak, of the Queen only speaking Spanish? I'd always wondered if she spoke any other languages, but I guess she knows English well enough to make speeches? Does anyone know if English is taught in schools in Spain as a 2nd language??
In any case, I'm glad that she is able to go on her own now and make speeches, converse, and understand what other people are saying around her.

She certainly speaks English - I doubt anyone could do a job involving high level representation without doing so. English is taught in schools although not to a high standard. No information was released back when she became engaged to Felipe on her English ability but by then she had already covered big international events such as 9-11 for tve (the Spanish national tv) so her English must have been acceptable to at least get by. However at the engagement period she underwent some professional English tuition with a very respectable professor of English so that she could polish it for her future duties. So yes she does speak English confidently.

You can check videos of past speeches or conversations in the languages thread - I believe there's a couple of letizia speaking in English.

She also speaks a bit of Catalan and of Spanish sign language due to her involvement with the association.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Actually her German is not so bad, considering that she does not really speak it (as she said). She must have practised the pronounciation and did well except for one or two words. You could clearly understand her.

It was a nice touch to start the speech in German. Letizia doesn't speak German so somebody put a sentence together for her that she practiced. Anyone can speak two sentences of German after practising, even a schoolkid.

I think Letizia's english is ok but nothing more. She speaks it with a heavy accent and reflecting her situation: she probably only learned it in late youth/as a young adult, during the speech she read from a paper what didnt help to make it look fluent. The average Spaniard, what Letizia was in her youth, usually speaks english very bad, if at all (at least from her generation), and it still shows when she speaks. But she gets the message across what is fine. There is no comparison eg to other royals who grew up billingual, eg her own husband or daughters.

She certainly speaks English - I doubt anyone could do a job involving high level representation without doing so. English is taught in schools although not to a high standard. No information was released back when she became engaged to Felipe on her English ability but by then she had already covered big international events such as 9-11 for tve (the Spanish national tv) so her English must have been acceptable to at least get by. However at the engagement period she underwent some professional English tuition with a very respectable professor of English so that she could polish it for her future duties. So yes she does speak English to an acceptable level.

You can check videos of past speeches or conversations in the languages thread - I believe there's a couple of letizia speaking in English.

She also speaks a bit of Catalan and of Spanish sign language due to her involvement with the association. But in general she starts of by a couple of sentences in the language of the place she visits, which are obviously rehearsed.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

It was a nice touch to start the speech in German. Letizia doesn't speak German so somebody put a sentence together for her that she practiced. Anyone can speak two sentences of German after practising, even a schoolkid.

I think Letizia's english is ok but nothing more. She speaks it with a heavy accent and reflecting her situation: she probably only learned it in late youth/as a young adult, during the speech she read from a paper what didnt help to make it look fluent. The average Spaniard, what Letizia was in her youth, usually speaks english very bad, if at all (at least from her generation), and it still shows when she speaks. But she gets the message across what is fine. There is no comparison eg to other royals who grew up billingual, eg her own husband or daughters.

I actually thought she spoke very well, albeit off a script. Her English is accented, but that's fine, she is Spanish.

Traditionally schools in Spain used to offer French as the second language (or foreign language), and English was optional. So most children learned French and not English.

I don't speak German but from what I could hear, she spoke fluently enough for a non-German speaker. It's very nice of her to start in a bit of German. Great job.

I thought she spoke english very well, as an adult learner she will have a slight accent but all adult learners do, no matter what they think. and her german was fine. Certainly more technically correct than when JFK said in his famous speech he was a Berliner ( which my german grandmother told me actually means donut) he had made the wonderful effort to say something in german and nobody had bothered to make sure what he said was corrrect.

Back
Top Bottom