The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

I love that uniform on Felipe!, he looks gorgeous! Letizia looks beautiful, and it's so sweet to see them holding hands

Old 01-07-2009, 02:14 AM
Royal Highness

ESP: Spanish Royals Attend New Year Military Pasques Reception
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected#

Old 01-07-2009, 05:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Letizia looks lovely and I agree with her about recycling clothes however the same outfit has last year was a very bad choice, has I said before it seams she hasn't anything more to wear!!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Photos abc

http://www.abc.es/multimedia/fotos/26840.asp
Old 01-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Heir Apparent

oh well, i cannot hide my disappointment despite all the efforts by the members to explain letizia's choice. i agree that in the current economic climate it would be extravagant to waste money in a dress that is quite unique, as the event is unique (winter morning gala outside the palace). however, i still believe she could have done better than recycling for the third time for the same ocassion. i'm sure with abit of effort she could have found something appropriate in her extensive wardrobe. it just steals the show a bit, and no wonder the media only talks about letizia's recycling for the pascua now.

oh, i guess she just wanted to "match" the king and prince by showing up herself wearing a uniform... :)
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 01-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
oh well, i cannot hide my disappointment despite all the efforts by the members to explain letizia's choice. i agree that in the current economic climate it would be extravagant to waste money in a dress that is quite unique, as the event is unique (winter morning gala outside the palace). however, i still believe she could have done better than recycling for the third time for the same ocassion. i'm sure with abit of effort she could have found something appropriate in her extensive wardrobe. it just steals the show a bit, and no wonder the media only talks about letizia's recycling for the pascua now.

oh, i guess she just wanted to "match" the king and prince by showing up herself wearing a uniform... :)
I find interesting your comment about "the media only talks about letizia's recycling for the pascua now."

Certain sectors of the media in Spain (I do not even wish to call them journalists), know that Princess Letizia's name sells and they will take anything they can, twist it and turn it any which way it is possible to sell. In these years we have seen plenty of examples. While this forum has been on fire with comments for a long time on how often she recycles her clothes, not too long ago, an article appeared in a newspaper mockingly putting together the comment that the King about the crisis (he said it was necessary to "tirar del carro" - I guess "make economies") and mentioning at the same time the number of new dresses (I believe 34) and shoes that the Princess had last year. I remember it called her spending "enloquecido despilfarro." I do not know how to translate that, maybe "crazy overspending?". Funny, considering she attended close to 250 events with her husband and almost 30 by herself, in addition to all meetings and other events not on the agenda. Curiously, this same piece makes no mention of the Queens wardrobe, Infanta Cristina's or Infant Elena's. There is obviously a double ruler when it comes to "measuring" members of the royal family and HRH the Princess of Asturias seems to have become an easy target to use (reminds me a bit of Queen Sofia and King Juan Carlos back in the 1970s).

Regardless of what we think it would be normal or appropiate for a Princess, I think that royals in each individual country know their country and are attuned to their specific circumstances. They know what is appropriate and proper in their own countries. I do wish she would repeat less and get rid of those platforms, but I think it shows maturity, humility and know-how that she gracefully and elegantly adapts to whatever circumstances seem to be happening at the moment. And she looked beautiful, every inch a Princess-old dress and all.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Courtier

At first I'm a bit disappointed that she chose to wear the exact same outfit but it's ok with me since she looks nice and maybe the Spaniards don't care if she repeated the same clothes over and over again.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

IMO, the same outfit three times at the same event is too much, although she looks really well.

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 01-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Hello!/Spanish royals preside over Epiphany parade
Old 01-07-2009, 05:29 PM

In my opinion, there is entirely too much stress on Letizia's outfit at this event. It is a military event and not a fashion show. The role of the ladies is to complement the men in uniform, and not to outshine them. They should appear dignified and elegant, which they do. There are lots of other events during the year at which they may wear cutting edge fashion. Incidently, can anyone tell me why the ladies wear long gowns at this event, and wear street length attire at the National Fiesta in October?
Old 01-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Courtier

Recycling and having people remember she has worn an outfit several times before (sometimes on the same occasion) is most probably deliberate on Letizia's part. She is an intelligent woman. She knows that it is better to be thought of as a princess who is frugal when it comes to clothes than someone who puts too much importance on clothes. Of course, she has Zarzuela's blessings.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Nobility

Like Chuchu said she is a very very intelligent woman, she know exactly what to do (the Queen told it to)
So Wearing the same gown at the same event 3 years followings
is not a hasard , she certainly has a reason, a goal, she certainly want to send the same message as usual "i am not a cinam star, or model, or a Fairy tale princess, what i wear , my gowns are note important, the topic's event is important"
why not ?....
Ourselves wear several gowns at parties or weddings when it's very nice and expensive
Old 01-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Diez minutos

Reyes y príncipes en la Pascua Militar - Reyes Juan Carlos y Sofía - Familia Real - Familia Real - Diez Minutos
Old 01-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Boni, excellent post ! 34 new outfits for 280 events is very modest, I'm sure there are royals out there with more new outfits, only half of the events. I seriously doubt she had 34 new outfits in 2008, probably 34 different outfits since most of her clothes she wore on fall/winter 2008 were old clothes from 2007.
I doubt the media only talked about Letizia's recycling. The ridiculous overall look of the defense minister was much more eye catching.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Gallery IBL
Old 01-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with you, the Defense Minister looked terrible and even worse when compared to Princess Letizia and the Queen.
Belga Picture
Old 01-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love this photo.
Thank you, giov!!
IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 01-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Photos:
PR photos
PR photos
PR photos
PR photos
PR photos
PR photos
flickr.com/Javier Segovia
Old 12-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

January 6, 2010

King, Queen, Prince and Princess of Asturias

Pascua Militar
Royal Palace of Madrid

Pascua Militar. Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España
Old 01-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

First news from Pascua Militar: Prince Felipe has shaven his beard...

Tags
felipe, juan carlos i, letizia, pascua militar, prince of asturias, princess of asturias, queen sofia, sofia (1938 -), spanish royal family