News from the Spanish Nobility

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apparently, he had 5 children. In this way the eldest three (by his first and second wife) will all hold a marquesate (if accepted). Maybe some 'lower' titles are available to his youngest 2 children (by his third wife)

Children with Jannine Girod y del Avellanal:
* Manuel Falcó y Girod (b. 1964); intended 13th Marquess of Castel Moncayo (GE)
* Alejandra Falcó y Girod, 13th Marchioness of Mirabel (b. 1967) - got her title from her grandmother

Children with Isabel Preysler Arrastia:
* Tamara Falcó y Preysler (b. 1981); intended 6th Marchioness of Griñón

Children with María de Fátima de la Cierva y Moreno:
* Duarte Falcó y de la Cierva (b. 1994)
* Aldara Falcó y de la Cierva (b. 1997)

Carlos' parents held several titles between the two of them (while other titles were passed on directly to the next generation):
Manuel Falcó y Escandón:
9th Duke of Montellano, Grandee of Spain: went to his granddaughter Carla Falcó y Medina (daughter of his younger son Felipe Falcó y Fernández de Córdoba)
11th Marquess of Castel Moncayo, Grandee of Spain: went to his eldest son Carlos Falcó y Fernández de Córdoba
9th Marquess of Pons, Grandee of Spain: went to his son Felipe Falcó y Fernández de Córdoba (10th), was passed on to his daughter Carla (11th), and ceased (2011) to her eldest son Felipe Matessian y Falcó (12th)
7th Count of Villanueva de las Achas: went to his granddaughter Hilda Pía Falcó y Medina (daughter of his younger son Felipe Falcó y Fernández de Córdoba)

Hilda Fernández de Córdoba y Mariátegui:
12th Marchioness of Mirabel - went to her granddaughter Alejandra Falcó y Girod (eldest daughter of her eldest son Carlos)
3rd Countess of Santa Isabel GE - went to her granddaughter Carla Falcó y Medina (4th; daughter of his younger son Felipe Falcó y Fernández de Córdoba) and ceased (2013) to her younger son Santiago Matessian y Falcó inherited (2013)
12th Countess of Berantevilla - went to her 'greatnephew' (grandson of her brother) Joaquín Fernández de Córdoba y Hohenlohe-Langenburg

Carlos inherited the Marquesate of Griñon directly from his maternal grandfather, who had a lot of titles: X conde de Berantevilla,​ II y IV marqués de Griñón, VIII duque de Arión, II conde de Santa Isabel, grande de España,​ II duque de Cánovas del Castillo, XI marqués de Mancera, XII marqués de Povar, XI marqués de Malpica, X marqués de Valero, II marqués de la Puente,​ II marqués de Cubas y II marqués de Alboloduy.

I don't know anything about the specifics of the case, but no succession to titles of nobility is automatic in Spain.

Succession is still regulated by the RD of 1912 issued by King Alfonso XIII, but subject to later amendments and, especially, the 2006 law on equality between men and women in the succession.

When a title is vacant, there is a window of one year for the person who considers him/herself to be the immediate successor to petition the King to succeed to the title (the petition is processed by the Ministry of Justice). If no petition is received within one year, there is another window of one year for the person who considers him/herself the next in line (after the immediate successor) to present his/her petition. If no such petition is received again, any other person who believes he/she has a right to the title can petition to succeed within 3 years. After 5 years, the title lapses, but can be "rehabilitated", as they say, within the next 40 years, I think, provided that the claimant proves a degree of kinship with the last title holder no further than the sixth degree and, a very important recent amendment, shows evidence of extraordinary merit that has not been rewarded with an honor from the Crown before.

Separately, a person who holds multiple titles can distribute his/her titles among his/her direct descendants, again only by petition to the King processed by the Ministry of Justice, and with the constraint that the principal title (I don't know exactly how that is defined !) can be distributed only to the immediate successor. Following the Law 33/2006, the immediate successor is always the firstborn child, regardless of sex, or, in the absence of the firstborn child, his/her respective firstborn child, also regardless of sex. That is true even if the original letters patent that created the title specified male preference primogeniture or other form of succession. My understanding is that distribution has to be done while the holder of the titles is still alive, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Succession is formalized only when a Real Carta de Sucesión is issued in the King's name by order of the Minister of Justice published in the official State Gazette (B.O.E.) and such order can only be issued after the beneficiary pays the corresponding tax as set by law (which in practice is a kind of "inheritance tax" if you will).

In any succession or rehabilitation processes where there is more than one claimant to the title, the Ministry of Justice is required by the RD to consult the Diputación Permanente de la Grandeza de España y Títulos del Reino for an expert opinion.

Last edited:
Carlos Falcó, Marquis of Griñón died on March 20 at the age of eighty-three years after several days of fighting, at the University Hospital Fundación Jiménez Díaz, Madrid. Two weeks after the fatal disealance and, as you may have known HOLA!, by express wish of the Marquis, it will be your daughter Tamara who has the Marquisate of Griñón from now on. An unexpected and exciting decision by Carlos Falcó in his last wills, who wanted to leave to his daughter the noble title that most sentimental burden had for the aristocrat.

Carlos Falcó's five children have known his last will in Spain, including the two living abroad: Manuel has returned from London and Aldara, from Vienna. Also, as published by the magazine HOLA! this week, the most important distinction of the aristocrat, that of Marquis of Castel-Moncayo, with Greatness of Spain, will be inherited by Manuel, his firstborn.
https://www.hola.com/actualidad/20200505167269/tamara-falco-nueva-marquesa-de-grinon-hola/

Just as a follow-up, the site of the Diputación Permanente gives the following official status for the Marquesado de Griñón

Vacante por fallecimiento del Marqués de Castel-Moncayo, G. de E.
I understand then that a Real Carta de Sucesión has not been issued yet in favor of Doña Tamara Falcó and, in line with my previous observation that succession to Spanish titles is not automatic (not even for the firstborn, much less a younger daughter), it is incorrect to call Tamara "la nueva Marquesa de Griñón" as Hola did (at least it is incorrect as of now).

I wonder if the Spanish gossip press always overlooks those details and considers succession to be automatic.

Last edited:
Here we go again. Why is it that Countries want to erase their History. What happen are fact's don't push them away,learn and teach about them ,so this part will not be repeated again. Make a Museum of History and teach what can happen if one walk's around with their eye closed and don't care. There is enough blame to go around,it never is just one alone.

In what way is Spain erasing history? Did they already indicate what they are going to do with the (rather nice) palace?

If I understand it correctly, the family put it up for sale after the Spanish government required them to hand it back to the state; which was many years after Franco (as head of state) donated it to himself and his family... Now, apparently, the judge has agreed that it is indeed property of the State. So, now it's up to the State to decide what to do with it. Seems the right course of action.

I knew the name was familiar ,General Franco's wife Carmen held the title,Lady of Meirás which passed to her grandson upon her death in 1988.

Jaime Carvajal y Hoyos, XVII Marquis of Almodóvar del Río (he received the title by cession from his mother), was the son of Jaime de Carvajal y Urquijo, Marquis of Isasi, and María Isabel de Hoyos y Martínez de Irujo, Marchioness of Hoyos.

He was married to Xandra Falcó, Marchioness of Mirabel, and daughter of the recently deceased Marquis of Griñón.

Konstantin of Bulgaria wirh his wife María García de la Rasilla and Cristina of Bourbon Two Sicilies withe her husband attend the funeral chapel

https://www.hola.com/actualidad/galeria/20200903174630/jaime-carvajal-tanatorio/1/

The family of the deceased is very close to the Royal Family, and King Felipe and Queen Letizia could go to the chapel tomorrow.

What was the reason of his death? He was still quite young.

Didn't King Felipe use to date the late Marquis's sister Doña Victoria?

In what way is Spain erasing history? Did they already indicate what they are going to do with the (rather nice) palace?

If I understand it correctly, the family put it up for sale after the Spanish government required them to hand it back to the state; which was many years after Franco (as head of state) donated it to himself and his family... Now, apparently, the judge has agreed that it is indeed property of the State. So, now it's up to the State to decide what to do with it. Seems the right course of action.

I think it's appalling that Franco grabbed the estate. Decisions like that give Top People a bad image.

Which Duchess of Alba? The last Duchess of Alba was an only child; so, she could not have had any nieces.

You've got the right Duchess of Alba in mind; she was an aunt by marriage! I am quite sure her children's cousins would consider her their aunt; so that would make them her nieces and nephews (by marriage) - one of them is the deceased mother who unfortunately will have to bury her son (instead of the other way around).

The deceased grandmother was María Victoria Martínez de Irujo y Artazcoz, Dama de la Real Maestranza de Caballería de Zaragoza, sister of Luis Martínez de Irujo y Artazcoz, Caballero de la Real Maestranza de Caballería de Zaragoza; husband of the duchess of Alba.

Luiz had 6 brothers and 3 sisters (see below), of which his eldest sister María Victoria already had 9 children, so it seems the duchess of Alba was an aunt to many; and a great-aunt to even more.

Carlos Martínez de Irujo y Artazcoz 1911-1937
María Victoria Martínez de Irujo y Artazcoz, Dama de la Real Maestranza de Caballería de Zaragoza 1912-2012
Ignacio Martínez de Irujo y Artazcoz, Duque de Sotomayor 1913-2011
Francisco Javier Martínez de Irujo y Artazcoz, Hermano de la Santa Pontificia y Real Hermandad del Refugio y Piedad de Madrid 1916-1969
Pedro Martínez de Irujo y Artazcoz 1917-1938
Luis Martínez de Irujo y Artazcoz, Caballero de la Real Maestranza de Caballería de Zaragoza 1919-1972
Ana María Martínez de Irujo y Artazcoz 1921-2005
María Cristina Martínez de Irujo y Artazcoz 1923
Jaime Martínez de Irujo y Artazcoz 1925-1993
José María Martínez de Irujo y Artazcoz 1928-1994

Last edited:
I never see the second Duchess of Franco (Carmen) at any important Event.

Congratulations to the couple!

I don't really understand why if parents take their children to a public event to be photographed they still need their eyes blurred.

Wasn't she due to be born in October?

Congrats to parents and grandparents!

In fact, we still have summer; autumn starts on 23 September.

Congrats to the parents! A new Duchess of Alba named after her great-grandmother.

Can we expect a title for her from her grandfather (has that been done in the past) or will she have to wait until her father's title will become available to be ceded to her (once he is the duke of Alba)?

Back
Top Bottom