News from the Spanish Nobility

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This isn't exactly news, but I didn't know where else to put it.

I visited the Viceroy's Palace in Jerez, a lovely city in Spain yesterday as part of my holiday. The palace is owned by the family of the Count of the Andes and we had the opportunity to be shown around by the current count himself (he does all the English guided tours, whilst his sister does the Spanish tours). He was quite a likeable character, and seemed very down to earth. He was willing to answer any questions we had about his family and showed us all of his old family photos out of his own will - as the actual tour he gave focused more on the house itself obviously, but he could probably tell we were interested in royalty and aristocracy! The Counts of the Andes have always been very close to the SRF, and the current count showed us a few photos of him meeting King Felipe and Queen Letizia; and his father meeting King Juan Carlos. The 7th count was made head of the royal household when the SRF went into exile under Franco.

It was quite a surreal experience to be shown around such a grand house by the count himself, I would definitely recommend a visit if you ever find yourself in Jerez!
Wow! What an experience! Thanks for the post :flowers::flowers:

The Martinez de Irujo siblings are really a handsome young pair. Must be Genoveva's genes.

Casilda de Medina y Conradi (b.16 May 1989) [younger daughter of late Luis de Medina y Fernández de Córdoba, Marques de Cogolludo, Duque de Santiesteban del Puerto, Marques de Solera (1941-2011) {himself son of Victoria Eugenia Fernandez de Cordoba y Rey, 18th Duchess de Medina-Celi, Duquesa d'Alcala de los Gazules, etc (1917-2013) & her husband, Rafael de Medina y Villalonga (1905-1992)} & his wife Mercedes Conradi y Ramirez (b.1955)] married Ignacio de Loyola Crespí de Valldaura de Gonzalo in St. Stephen's Church in Sevilla on 25 November.

A bride has an older sister Victoria (b.4 October 1984) who is reportedly single.

Sources: https://www.hola.com/novias/20171125...a-medina-boda/
Arion

Last edited:
Yes, indeed they turned 16 last July.

:previous:
That is really sad to hear, I have all her books that she wrote about her time as a spy, bought so many years ago and have even reread them later in life. I always thought she was such a courageous and beautiful lady. Yet she had a good life filled with love and adventure for her new country....a great lady in my opinion!

Thank you for the picture of Countess Aline, that is indeed a gorgeous picture of her and one that I now have saved here. A most brave and dignified lady and adventurous women with a strong heart who worked to keep the enemy at bay during WW2. Now I will go pull all her books out of my library and reread them again...:flowers:

Thanks for the links!
It is surprising to see Duke of Alba wearing a puffer jacket. Don Jaime had the look of a dandy as usual though.

Could someone give me more informations about Carmen and Alfonso Wedding. Was it arranged by General Franco and his wife.
I remember quite well this Franco Glory Wedding marying a Bourbon Prince we never saw before.
Dress from Balanciaga , tiara present from general Franco etc..
The Duke of Segovie and Emanuele de Dampierre we never saw before in grande tenue!
This was pathetic ! They were tittled Duke and Duchess of Cadiz without being Royal Hignhesses . The Duke was send as Ambassador from Spain to Sweden.
Divorce a few years later and there was no chance anymore.....

[...]
This was pathetic ! They were tittled Duke and Duchess of Cadiz without being Royal Hignhesses .
[...]

Why pathetic? You can be a Duke without being a Royal Highness.
King Juan Carlos has created three hereditary Dukedoms in his Reign to non-royal persons:

Duque de Franco
Actual holder: Doña María del Carmen Martínez-Bordiú y Franco, Duquesa de Franco

Duque de Fernández-Miranda
Actual holder: Don Enrique Fernández-Miranda y Lozana, Duque de Fernández-Miranda

Duque de Suárez
Actual holder: Doña Alejandra Romero y Suárez, Duquesa de Suárez

Last edited:
As Alphonse XIII Grand Son , he was born Royal Highness. Why did he loose it?

Why pathetic? You can be a Duke without being a Royal Highness.
King Juan Carlos has created three hereditary Dukedoms in his Reign to non-royal persons:

Duque de Franco
Actual holder: Doña María del Carmen Martínez-Bordiú y Franco, Duquesa de Franco
.... [snipped]
Is Luis Alfonso, Duke of Anjou, going to succeed his mother as Duke of Franco?

Is Luis Alfonso, Duke of Anjou, going to succeed his mother as Duke of Franco?

It is not sure, Doña María del Carmen Martínez-Bordiú y Franco (Don Luis Alfonso's mother) is the eldest child of the deceased. Therefore she can appeal for the Dukedom, since the rules have been modernized.

Does she not, then her sister Doña María de la O Martínez-Bordiú y Franco can appeal for it, being the second eldest child of the deceased.

Does she not either, then the third child of the deceased, Don Francisco Martínez-Bordiú, XI Marquès de Villaverde, II Señor de Meirás, will be the II Duque de Franco.

When Doña María del Carmen appeals for the Dukedom, then her son Don Luis Alfonso will be the future III Duque de Franco indeed. I have not understood yet what will happen with the Dukedom.

It will become clear when the State Bulletin publishes the Royal Decree confirming the new Duque (or Duquesa) de Franco.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation!
The rules are far more complicated than I thought.

Last edited:
Franco Title

What is the current status of the Ducal Title of Franco? There are mixed reports that the title has been inherited by her daughter, Maria del Carmen Martinez-Bourbon y Franco and others saying that the inheritance is not automatic and must be conferred by the Spanish authority?

If Maria del Carmen is the 2nd Duchess of Franco, is her eldest son, Louis Alphonse, Duke of Anjou, the heir apparent?

What is the current status of the Ducal Title of Franco? There are mixed reports that the title has been inherited by her daughter, Maria del Carmen Martinez-Bourbon y Franco and others saying that the inheritance is not automatic and must be conferred by the Spanish authority?

If Maria del Carmen is the 2nd Duchess of Franco, is her eldest son, Louis Alphonse, Duke of Anjou, the heir apparent?

The succession is not automatic. Some time after the death of the title Holder the next in line can apply for the Title which is then confirmed by the State. So we will have to wait for some time to see who will appply for the Duke of Franco title.

Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón y Martínez-Bordiú is a Spanish citizen without any title. The title Duc d'Anjou is not recognized by Spain. The titles of his uncle Don Francisco (Marquès de Villaverde, Señor de Meirás) or the title of his late grandmother Doña María del Carmen (Duquesa de Franco) are legally recognized titles and are used in official documents.

[...]
The Duke of Segovie and Emanuele de Dampierre we never saw before in grande tenue!
This was pathetic ! [...]

The grande tenue was not "pathetic". There are military uniforms, costumes of office (for an example Ambassadors) or uniforms from Dynastic Orders. These can be worn at a wedding when you are entitled to wear one.

Don Alfonso de Borbón y Dampierre (father of Don Luis Alfonso) wore the grand tenue of an Ambassador of Spain, with the Grand Cross of the Orden de Isabel la Católica when he married Doña María del Carmen Martínez-Bordiú y Franco (mother of Don Luis Alfonso)
(picture)

This sort of ceremonial costumes are still in use for events which require such a dresscode. See Philippe de Heer, the Dutch Ambassador to Sweden, with his grand tenue (picture). See Dom Francisco Pimentel de Melo, the Portuguese Ambassador to Spain, with his grand tenue (picture).

When Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón y Martínez-Bordiú married Doña Margarita Vargas Santaella, he wore the uniform of a Knight of the Order of Malta (picture).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom