Monograms and coats of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
I don't know if topic already exists on this topic. If you have permission to delete this topic, but I don't think there is.

I found it interesting to create a topic on this subject.

On English Wikipedia, put new monograms of King Philip VI and Queen Letizia, but I don't know if they are real, then I wish someone can enlighten me on this subject.

Here I leave the links of these new monograms that are on Wikipedia.

Monogram King Felipe VI:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felip...File:Royal_Monogram_of_Felipe_VI_of_Spain.svg

Monogram Queen Letizia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen...:Royal_Monogram_of_Queen_Letizia_of_Spain.svg

Here I leave also the monograms of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_...:Royal_Monogram_of_Juan_Carlos_I_of_Spain.svg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen...le:Royal_Monogram_of_Queen_Sofía_of_Spain.svg

Coat of Arms of Felipe VI of Spain

200px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Spanish_Monarch.svg.png

Royal standard of Felipe VI

240px-Estandarte_Real_de_Espa%C3%B1a.svg.png

Coat of Arms of Queen Letizia of Spain

200px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Letizia_Ortiz%2C_Queen_of_Spain.svg.png

The Queen's personal Royal Standard

200px-Personal_Standard_of_Letizia%2C_Queen_of_Spain.svg.png

Coat of Arms of Queen Sofía of Spain

291px-Personal_Coat_of_arms_of_Sofia%2C_Queen_of_Spain.svg.png

Coat of Arms of The Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo

200px-Coat_of_Infanta_Elena_of_Spain%2C_Duchess_of_Lugo.svg.png

Coat of arms of Infanta Cristina of Spain after she lost the title of Duchess of Palma.

200px-Coat_of_arms_of_Infanta_Cristina_of_Spain.svg.png

Coat of arms of Infanta Pilar,Duchess of Badajoz, Dowager Viscountess de la Torre.

311px-Coat_of_arms_of_Infanta_Pilar_of_Spain%2C_Duchess_of_Badajoz.svg.png

Coat of arms of Infanta Margarita, Duchess of Soria and Hernani

313px-Coat_of_arms_of_Infanta_Margarita_of_Spain%2C_Duchess_of_Soria.svg.png

Coat of Arms of Don Carlos Zurita,Duke of Soria and Hernani

313px-Carlos_Zurita%2C_Duke_of_Soria%27s_Coat_of_arms.svg.png

Coat of Arms of Infanta Alicia,Dowager Duchess of Calabria,dowager Countess of Caserta and Princess of Bourbon-Parma.

344px-Coat_of_arms_of_Princess_Alicia_of_Bourbon-Parma_as_Infanta_of_Spain.svg.png

They don't have official monograms, or you can say their monogram is the coat of arms printed without any colour except the contour (this can be seen on the Christmas Cards), in Spain only two coat of arms have official status: the King and The Princess of Asturias (new but with a minor changes I suppose, we will know it today because King Felipe awarded Leonor the Order of the Golden Fleece yesterday and has to be published yet on the BOE).

There are also a royal standard and a guidon with the coat of arms, the backgrounds are different, the King is crimson and The Princess of Asturias is blue.

Last edited:
Queen Letizia's personal Royal Standard (no official status)

240px-Personal_Standard_of_Letizia%2C_Queen_of_Spain.svg.png

Personal Royal Standard of Queen Sofia (no official status)

240px-Personal_Standard_of_Sofia%2C_Queen_of_Spain.svg.png

Personal Royal Standard of The Infanta Elena of Spain, Duchess of Lugo (no official status).

240px-Personal_Standard_of_Infanta_Elena_of_Spain%2C_Duchess_of_Lugo.svg.png

Coat of arms of HRH The Princess of Asturias

153px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Leonor%2C_Princess_of_Asturias.svg.png

Coat of arms of HRH The Infanta Sofia

155px-Coat_of_Infanta_Sof%C3%ADa_of_Spain.svg.png

HRH The Infanta Maria Cristina of Spain,Contessa Marone

200px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Infanta_Maria_Cristina_of_Spain%2C_Countess_of_Marone.svg.png

HRH The Infanta Beatriz of Spain, Princess of Civitella-Cesi.

186px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Infanta_Beatriz_of_Spain%2C_Princess_of_Civitella-Cesi.svg.png

Monogram set of Felipe and Letizia, created with the reason for their wedding.

500px-Dual_Cypher_of_Prince_Felipe_and_Princess_Letizia_of_Asturias.svg.png

Last edited:
Queen Letizia's personal Royal Standard (no official status)

240px-Personal_Standard_of_Letizia%2C_Queen_of_Spain.svg.png

Personal Royal Standard of Queen Sofia (no official status)

240px-Personal_Standard_of_Sofia%2C_Queen_of_Spain.svg.png

Why does Qeen Sofia have the Collar of the order of Carlos III in her coat of arms whereas Queen Letizia has the Grand Cross only ?

Why does Qeen Sofia have the Collar of the order of Carlos III in her coat of arms whereas Queen Letizia has the Grand Cross only ?

Both queens were given the Grand Cross on the event of their marriages , in 1962 and 2004 respectively. However, Queen Sofia was promoted to the Collar in 1983 as a 45th birthday present. https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:Condecorados_con_la_Orden_de_Carlos_III
https://www.boe.es/boe/dias/1983/11/02/pdfs/A29651-29651.pdf
https://www.boe.es/diario_boe/txt.php?id=BOE-A-2004-9530
Queen Letizia will also surely get the Collar in due course, perhaps in the event of her 50th birthday-

Last edited:

Note that as Lipe stated, these are not their real coats of arms, since the only members of the current royal family who have been appointed a coat of arms are the King and the Princess of Asturias, as is documented in the Boletin del Estado.

According to a Spanish forum poster, the Queens and Infantas simply use the king's royal coat of arms when the occasion demands.

Coat of Arms of king Juan Carlos I of Spain.
ESCUDO.jpg

They don't have official monograms, or you can say their monogram is the coat of arms printed without any colour except the contour (this can be seen on the Christmas Cards), in Spain only two coat of arms have official status: the King and The Princess of Asturias (new but with a minor changes I suppose, we will know it today because King Felipe awarded Leonor the Order of the Golden Fleece yesterday and has to be published yet on the BOE).

There are also a royal standard and a guidon with the coat of arms, the backgrounds are different, the King is crimson and The Princess of Asturias is blue.

Note that as Lipe stated, these are not their real coats of arms, since the only members of the current royal family who have been appointed a coat of arms are the King and the Princess of Asturias, as is documented in the Boletin del Estado.

According to a Spanish forum poster, the Queens and Infantas simply use the king's royal coat of arms when the occasion demands.

Coat of Arms

Does anybody else find it odd that Queen Letizia has never been awarded an official coat of arms? In fact, if I am not mistaken, among the members of the Spanish Royal Family, only the King, the Princess of Asturias and King Juan Carlos have official arms in Spain (I am not sure about Queen Sofia). Why is that?

If you download the most recent volume of the roll of arms of the Order of the Elephant from the website of the Danish Royal House, there is a coat of arms illustrated for Queen Sofía on page 245.

https://www.kongehuset.dk/vaabenboeger

Note that it is distinctly different from the fanmade "coat of arms" on Wikipedia.

However, you are correct that following the restoration of the monarchy only the King and the Prince(ss) of Asturias bear a coat of arms. I do not know the answer why, but I would guess that it is part of the wholesale slimming of the monarchy under Kings Juan Carlos and Felipe.

If you download the most recent volume of the roll of arms of the Order of the Elephant from the website of the Danish Royal House, there is a coat of arms illustrated for Queen Sofía on page 245.

https://www.kongehuset.dk/vaabenboeger

Note that it is distinctly different from the fanmade "coat of arms" on Wikipedia.

However, you are correct that following the restoration of the monarchy only the King and the Prince(ss) of Asturias bear a coat of arms. I do not know the answer why, but I would guess that it is part of the wholesale slimming of the monarchy under Kings Juan Carlos and Felipe.

There might be a Spanish state visit to Sweden next month (according to TRF) where Queen Letizia might receive the Order of the Seraphim as per Swedish custom. Which banner of arms will they hang then at the order's chapel to honor her induction? Her husband's? I think that is quite embarassing although I suppose there must be several presidents of republics who also received the Order of the Seraphim and don't bear personal arms either.

At least, both King Juan Carlos and King Felipe VI have their own banner of arms (with slightly different designs) hanging at St. George's chapel as Knights of the Garter.

Maybe one of our Swedish members might be able to answer this?

Queen Sofia was awarded the order in October 1979 so queen Letizia's banner would follow the same presidence as her mother in law.
Perhaps the used Queen Sofia's private personal arms?

Artistic version from Wiki of what Queen Sofia's banner possibly looks like
280px-Coat_of_arms_of_Queen_Sofia_of_Spain_%28Order_of_Seraphim%29.svg.png

Coat of Arms of Queen Sofía of Spain

291px-Personal_Coat_of_arms_of_Sofia%2C_Queen_of_Spain.svg.png

Coat of Arms of Queen Sofía of Spain, version with the sash of the Dame Grand Cross with Collar of the Royal and Distinguished Order of Carlos III

800px-Personal_Coat_of_arms_of_Sofia%2C_Queen_of_Spain_%28Order_of_Carlos_III_Collar%E2%80%99s_Badge_Grade_versi%C3%B3n%29.svg.png

Last edited:
Coat of Arms of Felipe VI with the Collar of the Order of Carlos III
180px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Spanish_Monarch-Variant_as_Grand_Master_of_the_Order_of_Charles_III.svg.png

With the Collar of the Order of Isabel la Católica
180px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Spanish_Monarch-Variant_as_Grand_Master_of_the_Order_of_Isabella_the_Catholic.svg.png

Last edited:
Possible coats of arms of the Princess of Asturias when if she turns 18:

dfk4qxd-9c735c5f-7f7c-40a5-81cc-f89dc3b2d651.png

dfk4r62-cb63a77c-f3fb-40d1-aca0-aa281624a1f7.png

dfk4rfy-cc720c92-310a-422f-9e4d-60ffaf323a4a.png

********************************************************************************
Fan art made with Paint 3D, so it must have been some imperfections

Last edited:
Last edited:
The Order of the Golden Fleece is a higher order than the order of Carlos III, so indeed no reason to change her coat of arms.

The Order of the Golden Fleece is a higher order than the order of Carlos III, so indeed no reason to change her coat of arms.

I think the OP was referring to the practice of some royal houses, for example the Savoys, and I think also the Habsburgs and the Romanovs,of having heraldic representations of multiple orders of chivalry in their coat of arms.

That is not the current practice, however, of most of the extant reigning royal houses in Europe. For example, the British monarch uses only the order of the Garter in his coat of arms in England, and the order of the Thistle in his coat of arms in Scotland. Likewise, the King of Spain has only the order of the Golden Fleece encircling his arms and the King of Sweden only the order of the Seraphim. Margrethe II of Denmark is an exception since her coat of arms features both the order of the Elephant and the order of Dannebrog.

In countries that have a quite large number of orders like the UK and Spain, it would be impractical to show all of them in a heraldic achievement anyway

Last edited:

I understood. It's to show how would appear at Spanish wikipedia category

Back
Top Bottom