The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-03-2006, 01:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrinceLorenzo
Question:

Why is she called Infanta? Is that her name or a title? Thanks.
It's her title, it is given to all those sovereign (or heir) children that are not going to inherit the throne, the heir is called Prince/ss of Asturias

Old 02-03-2006, 04:59 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks

Thanks, but why can't she inherit the throne? And what does "Infanta" means? Are there male versions or it's just for females?

Old 02-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Thanks, but why can't she inherit the throne? And what does "Infanta" means? Are there male versions or it's just for females?
Infanta means "child" of Spain, it comes with the french origin of the Borbon house (enfant). It's very possible that she won't inherit the throne because she's currently sixth in the succesion line, behind her brother, his daugther, her sister Elena and her children because in Spain the succesion gives precedence to the male descendant (Felipe is the youngest of his siblings).
If there is another male after the heir, he's called an Infante of Spain (the male term for Infanta) just like Felipe did before he was invested as Prince of Asturias.

I hope that you find my information useful, but please remember that this thread is for pictures of Cristina in past times not to ask questions

Thanks in advance
Old 02-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks

Thanks, that was helpful. I'm sorry I asked the question here. It's just that, if I make a new thread, it'll get edited and get put in as a regular post in another thread, so I figured since this is a thread about her, I would ask.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Thanks, that was helpful. I'm sorry I asked the question here. It's just that, if I make a new thread, it'll get edited and get put in as a regular post in another thread, so I figured since this is a thread about her, I would ask.
Hi CrownPrinceLorenzo,

There's a whole thread about the meaning of Infante/Infanta

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ante-3169.html
Old 02-18-2006, 06:34 AM
Aristocracy

The name Infante/e has no relation AT ALL with the bourbon blood or France. The sons and daughters of kings are called INFANTES since the 12 century, six centuries before the bourbons came to Spain.
The ethimologie of the word is latin. Enfant (french) and Infante have the same root, but do not come one from the other.
It's really easy: in Spain only ONE person can be called Prince and that's the heir of the throne (the same way in france they call him dauphin). The others sons/daughters of the king as well as the prince sons and daughter are styles infantes. That's all.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Commoner

HOUSEHOLDS & Coat-of-Arms of the INFANTAS

Though I have looked under every stone, I've never been able to find the coat of arms of the Infantas... Does anyone know if they bear any arms? I presume that when single, they bore their father the King's on a lozenge, but waht about once married?
The Prince of Asturias bears the same as the Kingm, but with a blue label to difference it (and the crown with only 2 arches instead of the royal 8) as can be seen in this websites :
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/es%5Eprinc.html

And my other question is relating the Households (meaning, the people under actual, implied, or honorary employ) of SSAARR Las Infantas. The Bourbons of France had nearly 200 people attached to the persons of their Fils de France (same as Infante d'España) and though I realize that such numerous retinues are neither practical nor necessary today, I wondered if they have a Mayordomo (steward), Camareras (ladies in waiting like English Princesses have still today) etc.

I hope that this be of interest to anyone. Please, feel free to respond with any light you may have on the subjects... including links, photos, etc.

PS: This is my first post!
Old 03-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Commoner

Also, forgot to ask. Does anyone know if the titles the Infantas sport are simply honorific or part of an appanage(or more properly a mayorazgo) or what sort of pension or honnours do they get out of them?
By titles I'm refering to those of "duchess of Parma" "duchess of Lugo" etc.

PS:
"Infanta" I wouldn't consider a title, but a rank: They rank as children of Spain, thus all the extra honnours (such as gun salutes, curtseys, etc. extended to them for being so closely related to the King).
Old 03-31-2006, 10:06 PM

Are Infantas Elenas and Cristina royal titles passed down

Are infantas Elenas and Cristina's royal titles passed down to their children?
Old 03-31-2006, 10:12 PM
Gentry

No, the future infantes of Spain are the sons of the Princes of Asturias. Elena and Cristina's children are "Exelenticimos", which is like a higher "poscition".
Old 03-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Courtier

To extend what M 12 wrote...

Unlike other royal families/countries, in Spain titles are not passed out so easily.

Infantes/Infantas (the full title is Infante/Infanta de Espana) are children of the monarch or the heir to the throne only. Spouses do not share the title, although they may be given a "duke" or "count" title (as with the husbands of Elena and Cristina), which does not get passed along to the children.

In Spain there is only one prince or princess--the heir to the throne and spouse.

Spain is not like other countries where there are ten thousand princes and princesses.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucys

Unlike other royal families/countries, in Spain titles are not passed out so easily.
As titles are not passed down does this mean that there is not a Spanish aristocracy similiar to the UK? Does the Spanish monarch even have the authority to grant titles outside his immediate family?
Old 04-01-2006, 12:24 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Does the Spanish monarch even have the authority to grant titles outside his immediate family?
I am not completely sure but I think King Juan Carlos can give a tittle to anyone he wants in Spain.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnacle
As titles are not passed down does this mean that there is not a Spanish aristocracy similiar to the UK? Does the Spanish monarch even have the authority to grant titles outside his immediate family?
Yes, he can grant titles but isn't like in the UK, where a lot of people are ladies and lords, in Spain many titles (like those of the Duchess of Alba) pass through generations and were given a long time ago, but the fact that only the children of the heir and the monarch are called infante/infanta helps to keep the monarchy small and allow the other members to have a somewhat normal life.:)
Old 04-01-2006, 02:30 AM
Courtier

What about the titles that were bestowed on them when they married? Like Infanta Cristina is also the Duches of Palma de Majorca. Is that title personal or will it be passed to her oldest son?
Old 04-01-2006, 02:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlightrhapsody
What about the titles that were bestowed on them when they married? Like Infanta Cristina is also the Duches of Palma de Majorca. Is that title personal or will it be passed to her oldest son?
As long as I know the titles only pass through the male line, so Juan won't have it
Old 04-01-2006, 03:24 AM
Administrator

Infants and Infantas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucys
Unlike other royal families/countries, in Spain titles are not passed out so easily. Infantes/Infantas (the full title is Infante/Infanta de Espana) are children of the monarch or the heir to the throne only.
There have been a few exceptions to this rule, the restriction of the Infant/Infanta titles being a relatively recent development. Queen Isabel II's sister, Infanta Luisa Fernanda married Prince Antoine d'Orléans, who was created an Infant of Spain in 1859. Their children were Infants/Infantas from birth.

Alfonso, 5th Duke of Galliera (1886-1975), the son of Infant Antonio and Infanta Eulalia, the youngest daughter of Queen Isabel II, was made an HRH and Infant of Spain.

The husbands of both sisters of King Alfonso XIII were created Infants of Spain, as were all of their children. The "Spanish Wittelsbachs" arose from the marriage in 1906 of Prince Ferdinand of Bavaria to Infanta Maria Teresa. Their eldest son, Infant Luis Alfonso, died as recently as 1983. Ferdinand's second wife, a Spanish aristocrat, was created an Infanta of Spain by Alfonso XIII in 1927.

Even more recently HRH Don Carlos, Duke of Calabria, was granted the title of Infant of Spain by King Juan Carlos in 1994. This was significant because as well as being a mark of very high honour to Don Carlos, it reinforced his claim to the disputed Headship of the Royal House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

In Spain there are different cases.

The historical titles of the nobility, how Alba's duchy, are hereditary; even it does little with priority of the masculine line but a recent law has eliminated it.
With the democracy the things are different. The King grants the titles with the approval of the government, and these titles are personal and cannot be inherited, because they submit to persons who have given a service to the nation. It is the case of de Duchess of Lugo and Palm, they are of the Infantas and her children will not inherit them.

The Infante's title is only for the children of the King and of the Prince of Asturias. And it is a title with treatment of Royal Highness. But also there can be what they are the " Infantes of Grace ", Infantes who receive the titleof an exceptional way, and that have the tartamiento of Highness. This one is Don Carlos de Borbón Dos Sicilias case . Equally when the monarchy was re-restored it was found that everything that one had had the Infante's title it had the right to support it, how it is the case of the Infanta Alicia, mother of Don Carlos.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:27 AM
Administrator

Thank you lula for the explanation. I like "Infantes of Grace", it sounds very special. :)
Old 04-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Courtier

I see that Cristina and Elena kids are sometimes called Don/Dona. What does that mean, is it just sort of a polite way to refer to them or is it a form of title.

Tags
faq, grande, infanta, infante, prerogatives, titles