The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-07-2003, 01:37 AM
curious

Meaning of Infante/a and prerogatives

All's quiet on the Felipe front. Is he on vacation or something? By the way, I read somewhere that he was an Infante(?) before he was made Crown Prince. I also noticed that his sisters are referred to as Infantas. What exactly is the difference between a prince/princess and and infante/infanta?

Oh and just as an aside, I saw the queen during her visit to Manila this week. She was at this school for streetchildren I was volunteering at. She had this really nice suit on and it was a very hot day but she still managed to look sooo regal and cool. She also seems like a really nice person. I think Felipe looks like her.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:40 AM
Courtier

That's very nice that you were able to see the queen. I would love to have the opportunity of seeing any royal. She always manages to look very well even if she's in disagreeable circumstances, ie: hot weather.

Felipe does indeed look like his mother, but has the build and basic appearance of his father when his father was young.

Here's a picture of Felipe taken yesterday. He's definitely out and about.

Felipe Photo

Old 04-20-2003, 12:21 PM
Aristocracy

Infante/Infanta is the title for the monarch's children that are not the 1st in succession to the throne. It is the same as Price/Princess in other countries.
Felipe's title is Prince of Asturias, as he is the heir to the throne.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Commoner

meaning of "Infante"

what is the difference between infante and princess? why are elena and christina infantes? and not princesses? Are infantes higher or lower than the title of princess? what is the history behind this title and what does it mean?
Old 08-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

the word infante is only used in spain to describe the other children of the king and queen of spain that do not inherit the throne. it means "son/daughter of spain". i think it's the same title as prince or princess...
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Commoner

Smile

thank you for a very swift reply.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:43 AM
Aristocracy

Felipe is an infant too

I think that Felipe is to be considered as an Infant too, as son of King... It is not limited to the others children of the royal couple.
Elena
Old 08-13-2004, 10:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenaris
I think that Felipe is to be considered as an Infant too, as son of King... It is not limited to the others children of the royal couple.
Elena
As Felipe is the eldest son and will succeed his father he bears the Prince of Asturias title. But if there had also been a younger son, he, like his sisters would've had the Infante title. In the King's case he had a younger brother (now deceased) who was Infante Alfonse, while their sisters were Infantas Pilar and Margarita (brain block-- is that his dark-haired sister's name?).
Old 08-13-2004, 11:42 AM
CathyEarnshaw

felipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenaris
Elena
felipe was an infante of Spain until he was created Prince of the Asturias. He is no longer styled as an Infant of Spain
Old 08-13-2004, 11:44 AM
CathyEarnshaw

Children of the King (apart from the heir, who would be styled Prince of the Asturias, or Princess of the Asturias - yes, a female heir is known as this) are Infants of Spain - and the children of the heir - are Infants of Spain.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:10 PM
Commoner

Yes, Infante means son of the King (Infanta in case of a daughter), whereas the title of Príncipe de Asturias is reserved for the Crown Prince. A person is not entitled to hold both titles.

King Alfonso XIII (1886-1941) had six children born of Queen Victoria Eugenia. The eldest was Príncipe de Asturias and the rest were Infantes or Infantas. Nevertheless, King Alfonso XIII had an extramarital relationship with actress Carmen Ruiz-Moragas. Leandro, one of the children of that relationship, born in the 1920s, has successfully claimed his last name as Borbón (he used his mother´s last name until 2003, when the Spanish Supreme Court acknowledged that he had the right to use Borbón as his last name). After that, don Leandro de Borbón apparently claims that he is an Infante too, because all the recognized children of Spanish monarchs are Infantes.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:01 PM

infante?

Hi im new, but i was under the impression that "Infante/a" was kind of equivalent to the Grand Dukes and Duchess of Russia like the children of the KING/RULER are infante and infantas (grand duchess), whereas a "prince or princess" are a step below.

anyways im not sure just a question i had thanks guys!
Old 06-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Courtier

Here's my impression:

Infante/a = Prince/Princess = Grand Duke/Duchess = Lala/Prince
Old 06-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

it's only the title for the children of the king until the heir to the throne receives the title of prince of asturias. the future newborn of felipe and letizia will be "infante/a" before he or she receives the title of prince or princess of asturias.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-31-2005, 03:35 PM
Commoner

Infante/Infanta (in Portugal and Spain) = Grand Duke/Grand Duchess (in Russia) = Archduke/Archduchess (in Austria) = Duke/Duchess (in Württemberg) = Prince/Princess (in other Royal Families).

Also in Portugal, the Crown Prince/Crown Princess as heir/heiress to the throne beared the title "Duke/Duchess de Bragança" and the other members of the Royal Family beared the title "Infante/Infanta of Portugal".
Old 12-28-2005, 01:28 AM
Aristocracy

The use of Infanta

Hello, I am just curious as to why the Spanish Royals use Infanta instead of Princesa. I took 4 years of Spanish, and I know that it means infant in English. If anyone could enlighten me I would appreciate it!

Emily :)
Old 12-28-2005, 03:23 AM
Aristocracy

Infanta

I really have no idea but in france, the royal children were called the Children of France I believe....it may be similar since the Spanish royal family has Bourbon blood...this is a huge longshot...lol
Old 12-28-2005, 07:57 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Please, read the posts above, if you don't mind.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:46 PM
Commoner

In the Spanish and former Portuguese monarchies, Infante (masc.) or Infanta (fem.) is the title given to a son or daughter of the reigning monarch who is not the heir-apparent to the throne. Other, more distantly related, members of the Spanish and Portuguese royal families are also granted the title.
The name derives from the same root as "infant," but this means simply "child" in Romance languages, and in this case indicates that the Infante or Infanta is the child of the monarch.

As per Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infante

El título de Infante lo introdujo la reina Leonor de Inglaterra (casada con Fernando II de León, siglo XII), tal y como se usaba en este país. Sus hijos, Sancho y Fernando fueron los primeros hijos de reyes en ostentar dicho título.
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infante
Old 02-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Aristocracy

Question:

Why is she called Infanta? Is that her name or a title? Thanks.

Tags
faq, grande, infanta, infante, prerogatives, titles