The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Commoner

Question King Juan Carlos's Path to the Spanish Crown

There's the story about how King Juan Carlos became king of Spain, I think General Franco did some changes and chose Juan Carlos over Don Alfonso de Borbon, his cousin.

Does somebody know the complete story about this?

Old 12-22-2006, 03:25 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The only change Franco made was to surpass the Count of Barcelona and chose his son, Juan-Carlos instead. But this branch was ver much the one who inhereted the claim to the spanish throne, and not the branch of Alfonso. There were rumous however that Franco would pass Juan & Juan-Carlos and would select Alfonso instead.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:45 AM
Heir Apparent

The last King of Spain before Franco was Alfonso XIII, he had several children and the Count of Barcelona was the third son, way behind his older brothers Jaime and Alfonso but as they were deaf and haemophilic, Juan (King JC's father) became the heir to the throne; Alfonso, the Duke of Cadiz (was a descendant of Jaime, the Duke of Segovia and second son of Alfonso XIII, whom after the death of his father tried to reclaim his rights) became a serious pretender when he married Carmen Martinez-Bordiu (Franco's grandaughter and mother of Luis Alfonso de Borbón) but at the end Franco named JC as his heir and that's how he's King in our days

I hope I made myself clear enough with my explanation!
Old 12-22-2006, 04:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

The brothers of Don Juan had to resign the throne. Alfonso because he decided to marry a plebeian woman and Jaime because he had remained deaf and dumb of child for a disease. On Don Jaime's topic there is a spice of tragic history - legend .... though it is evident that in that epoch the normal thing is that they were forcing him to resign, because he was not a person qualified to occupy the throne; If today in day the persons with disabilities have problems to join a normal life, though every time they have help more, imagine 70 years ago. Later he took a very untid life,frustrated by his disease. For not being able to be King, and with two wives who wanted to turn into queens.

Therefore, the head of family passed to be Don Juan. Don Juan worked many years for the Wreath, and ultimately he had to accept that he was his son who was occupying the throne. For Don Juan it was something difficult, which took him even to problems with his son ... but ultimately he was the statesman who had to be, and with his son already King resigned to his rights being yielded to his son.

They are questions of history, histories how these there are many in many countries throughout the centuries.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:46 AM
Courtier

This is fascinating! I hadn't heard any of this history.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes it's very interesting as quiet all the historic acts of the Spain ( one of reasons of my interest for Spain)

For those who know Carmen Martinez Bordiu, can you think that she would be a so good Queen as Sofia, besides to be the queen of danse's pists in the TV emission " Mira quien va a bailar ! " or something like that......
Old 12-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelaide
Yes it's very interesting as quiet all the historic acts of the Spain ( one of reasons of my interest for Spain)

For those who know Carmen Martinez Bordiu, can you think that she would be a so good Queen as Sofia, besides to be the queen of danse's pists in the TV emission " Mira quien va a bailar ! " or something like that......
Carmen always has been a pampered and capricious girl who has done what has wanted without importing anything for her.

Personally to think about her representing Spain, she frightens me so much like to see her to dance.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:17 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula
The brothers of Don Juan had to resign the throne. Alfonso because he decided to marry a plebeian woman and Jaime because he had remained deaf and dumb of child for a disease. On Don Jaime's topic there is a spice of tragic history - legend .... though it is evident that in that epoch the normal thing is that they were forcing him to resign, because he was not a person qualified to occupy the throne; If today in day the persons with disabilities have problems to join a normal life, though every time they have help more, imagine 70 years ago. Later he took a very untid life,frustrated by his disease. For not being able to be King, and with two wives who wanted to turn into queens.

Therefore, the head of family passed to be Don Juan. Don Juan worked many years for the Wreath, and ultimately he had to accept that he was his son who was occupying the throne. For Don Juan it was something difficult, which took him even to problems with his son ... but ultimately he was the statesman who had to be, and with his son already King resigned to his rights being yielded to his son.

They are questions of history, histories how these there are many in many countries throughout the centuries.
Hello Lula.

Don Jaime (Duke of Segovia and Infante de Epaña) renounced his rights to the Spanish throne for himself and his descendants because he was deaf-mute. But in 1949 he took back his renunciation and the Carlistas recognized as King of Spain (King Jaime IV -Carlista line-).

I think that he, at last, renounced in favour of Don Alfonso, I dont know.

Happy New year 2007!!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:56 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique View Post

Hello Lula.

Don Jaime (Duke of Segovia and Infante de Epaña) renounced his rights to the Spanish throne for himself and his descendants because he was deaf-mute. But in 1949 he took back his renunciation and the Carlistas recognized as King of Spain (King Jaime IV -Carlista line-).

I think that he, at last, renounced in favour of Don Alfonso, I dont know.

Happy New year 2007!!!!

I find it hard to take back a irrevocable decision. Till her death HM Queen VE refused to consider anything of the kind.

Tags
alfonso infante of spain, carlists, jaime infante of spain, juan carlos i, succession