Future and Popularity of the Spanish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I respect the King a lot and all the work he's done alongside Queen Sofia and I know all the infantas have is because of them, not because of Felipe, who wouldn't have anything if it wasn't for his parents

I don't want Cristina as a Queen, I prefer the family the way it is now, I know it's impossible for her to reach the throne and I'm happy with it;)

Felipe likes to hunt, yet he presents himself as an ecologist, that's a huge contradiction, I'm all against sports hunting of any kind, I don't mind if it's an elephant or a dove, they are all living beings; that's what I also said I was dissapointed on iñaki for going there:neutral:

If the Infantas' husbands didn't have jobs and did their own business, everybody would call them "kept"; Infanta Pilar has her own business as well as her children, they have a lot of counselor gigs and business that no one really knows what they are

You can like the animals and the nature, without you are a radical ecologist. Prince Charles sells ecological products, and nevertheless he has not escaped either to the cinegetic traditions of his country.

The hunting respecting the law and of the respect to the species is something totally normal. People eat meat and eat fish, and they do not stop being dead animals, that somebody kill so that the people eat them. Normally in the field, it is something that people have very assumed, the people who raise cattle give the same value to the cows that to the wild boar which they hunt in the mount. In the cities we are more hypocritical, we bought the meat in the market, but we do not want to know nothing of since the animal has died.

The Infants have the best life, have many of the advantages to belong to the Royal Family and they do not undergo of so hard form the annoyances.

The Infantas and their husbands must have a work, but they do not have to take advantage of in excess of their last name to make money. It is inevitable that that influences, and of more publicity and obtain more contracts to them, but it must have a limit… not can makes millionaires for that reason. In the case of the Infants, they also develop a public work and receive a money of the State, for that reason they must be more responsible. The nephews of the King can take advantage of being it and working with great companies, but they are not people who have a public position nor that receive money of the State.

Last edited:
This is an article from a very respectable newspaper:

Popular king who quashed a coup falls from favour with his subjects - Times Online

Popular king who quashed a coup falls from favour with his subjects

Spanish Royal Family criticised over lifestyle after their financial affairs are exposed for the first time

He has been idolised for 30 years, sailing on expensive yachts, racing motorbikes and enjoying fine living while receiving the sort of reverential treatment that Queen Elizabeth II could only imagine.
Now, however, there are signs that King Juan Carlos I of Spain is in danger of falling out with his subjects. Under mounting pressure from critics, the King has appointed an auditor to scrutinise the spending of the Royal Family – which is kept hidden from the public by law....

.... Polls show that most Spaniards like and respect the King, who, despite his lavish lifestyle and playboy reputation, has managed to cultivate an image of a grandfather and an ordinary family man. However, in a country that has always harboured a strong republican streak, analysts say that that affection does not extend to the institution itself. Many Spaniards pointedly call themselves juancarlistas – supporters of Juan Carlos – rather than monarchists....

The biggest worry for the King, who will turn 70 in January, is that his successor does not enjoy his level of public support. Many Madrid residents groused about the expense and inconvenience that surrounded Prince Felipe’s lavish wedding in 2004 to Letizia Ortiz, a divorced former television journalist. Others have questioned his fitness to rule.

“The Royal Family has been working extremely hard to sell Prince Felipe to the Spanish public, but with this issue of El Jueves the whole question is out again,” Mr Quiroga said. “It was the last thing the Royal Household wanted.”...
Like I said, is very bad for the Spanish monarchy to get articles like these, if something like this is getting into the most important newspapers of the world with the most known and important journalists making the investigation themselves, is because the monarchy in Spain is getting through a really low point right now:ermm:, this ain't one of those yellow German press magazines, this is THE Times, and they don't write anything without a serious research and investigation

Everything is not as peachy and nice and fairy-tale like some people might have let us to believe:cool:

The spanish journalists tend to suck up a lot to the Royal Family, some of them even look like they are paid to say the most stupid things to defend them, so I'm glad to see a bit of impartiality even if that has to come from the foreign press

Last edited:
It does not seem to me something impartial, it seems to me a information that lacks information and that it gives a partial vision of a reality that is much more complex.

It is not, nor it is possible to be raised like a question that affects only to the King or the Royal Family, is a question that affects all the scopes.

The general problem is that the respect has got lost to many things, and this is a more complex social great problem.

It is true that the King before was more protected, but as he, all the public charges were (the divorce of a politician, his friendship or his vacations were not a news of great repercussion) ... even, any famous personage, a singer, or an actor ... was not treated 10 years ago like it is treated now. Nowadays there is no respect not for the children, the elders ... or the dead people(this week several known prominent figures have died, and in the television we are present at the death as spectacle).

The press fulfills a fundamental role in this social change, and because of it often their partiality can be very questioned. In the yellow press, the information is a business ... in the political press, the information is the power. And often this partial vision of the Spanish press is transmitted on the outside.

It makes it question, until point the society can accept certain situations concerning the Royal Family, since they are situations that concern all the areas ... we us are accustomed.

The Royal Family has not escaped to this reality. In the private part, because the arrival of a Princess of Asturias (and I say it this way because I believe that the fund is in the post not in the person), has supposed an excessive interest on the part of the yellow, which has moved to the whole Family, and that it has turned them into a golden mine.

In the political aspect the topic is more complex enough ... nowadays the votes are not obtained working for the citizens, they are obtained criticizing and fighting. It cannot surprise us that the King turns into a political "weapon", when the dead people in a terrorist attack are a political "weapon".

Evidently the republican groups and independence, that are in opposition to the Monarchy and hate to belong to Spain, have a very easy aim in the King and in the Royal Family to do this type of politics. cause the polemic publicizes, and they need this advertising to support their. But as the politicians they are not saved from this situation either, there happens what happened to Anasagasti, that when there criticized the King, some asked at was receiving a good salary of the State and was working little, so heas closing the mouth because he was not to speak.

For my it is not a problem that there is information that probably 10 years ago were not so public (though often if they were known) ... I believe that the problem is the treatment that is given to this information ... there is no seriousness and there is no respect ... the information is in use in a demagogic way, concealing or manipulating information or simply it reports badly.

The Royal House does it, the politicians do it and the press does it ... the clean game has got lost... and the public opinion is getting used that has got lost.

It is a situation that has overflown, and that probably the Royal Household neither has known could not even have controlled well. The King is the Chief of the State, and before many situations the silence is imposed, and supposes it that it is easier to stuff.
On the other hand the King is a person and has an age, in all the aspects it is already difficult that he changes, it is difficult that he changes his form of life and it is difficult that he changes his vision of the things. His major interest always has been that his official life was above and was more protagonist than his private life ... but nowadays and in the current situation, it that was possible 10 years ago now is very difficult.

Thanks for the article crisinaki. Times will become very difficult for Felipe, no question he will face a cut down of most privileges that his dad enjoyed or even abolishment. The question is if Felipe will enjoy being a king who is only tolerated rather than loved or respected?

But he is not alone I guess, other heirs to the throne will face a similar fate, at least a cut of privileges, eg Charles although The Times stresses that in Britain there is transparency. But once there is transparency it's the perfect basis to discuss what is necessary or not, something the spanish taxpayers might as well enjoy as the british do :D And sometimes you can't believe what kind of privileges these royals take for granted :lol:

Finally, this will cut the possiblity of employing a much needed stylist person for certain members of the family back to zero. Too bad.

Duke, probably most harmed of a measure like that they would be the politicians. Because the Spanish politicians are not the major example of trasparencia either, only it is necessary to see the problems of urban development speculation that exists in many cities. They can demand the King, but undoubtedly they would be the following ones, and to many people they the paradise would be ended.

Certainly, there turns out to be surprising enough that a serious newspaper, it does not make clear that it is the PNV or that it is ERC, and that have role in the Spanish politics. They are groups independence, that extract political benefit of all that that it could damage to the image of the Spanish State, to obtain what they want the best thing that might to them happen it is that the Monarchy was disappearing. From criticizing the King up to not condemning ETA'S terrorism ... everything passes for their political interests. I believe that much people in this country, take to those from ERC concert sarcasm… are first in criticizing the King, but when their governors are involved in serious problems that affect the citizens, close the mouth and disappear of the map.

Duke, probably most harmed of a measure like that they would be the politicians. Because the Spanish politicians are not the major example of trasparencia either, only it is necessary to see the problems of urban development speculation that exists in many cities. They can demand the King, but undoubtedly they would be the following ones, and to many people they the paradise would be ended.

Certainly, there turns out to be surprising enough that a serious newspaper, it does not make clear that it is the PNV or that it is ERC, and that have role in the Spanish politics. They are groups independence, that extract political benefit of all that that it could damage to the image of the Spanish State, to obtain what they want the best thing that might to them happen it is that the Monarchy was disappearing. From criticizing the King up to not condemning ETA'S terrorism ... everything passes for their political interests. I believe that much people in this country, take to those from ERC concert sarcasm… are first in criticizing the King, but when their governors are involved in serious problems that affect the citizens, close the mouth and disappear of the map.

You are very right lula but that's a phenomenon that can be found in many countries, even republics. People always need stuff to critizise and a royal house is a wonderful opportunity to do so because it distracts from own problems and the royals cannot really hit back, at least in a democracy. So I wouldn't go that far that Spain will abolish the monarchy after JC because there are positive aspects after all, but there is a thin line between critizism and humilitation that can make a king a laughing stock. Just to keep Felipe because he or his wife are welcome targets for attacks or critizism or cash cows for the media is not the purpose of a monarchy. Besides, it will make their and poor Leonors life a misery because they cannot fulfill their mission when not being truly respected by the public.

Spain has a complex reality in the political thing ... those who represent the majority of the Spanish are not those that more noise they do.

The PSOE and the PP support a more neutral position, are alternated in the government and know that the Monarchy is one positive element for the State. Though sometimes for their political ideas they can stagger a bit, finally the reason prevails, because they are those who govern. Between the PSOE and the PP they occupy 312 charges in the Congress.

The rest of political groups add 38 charges. These groups are or the communists of IU, or autonomous and independence groups. These groups are very noisy, because they have more radical ideas and because they do not have the responsibility of those who govern the State. They look more for the benefit of their political group or of their Autonomous Community, that the benefit of the State. The problem takes place when these minority groups are the key in order that one of the big groups governs ... in this case they earn a power and an influence that the votes have not given them.

It can move to the public opinion. That do more noise it does not mean that they represent to the majority.

Last edited:
Spain has a complex reality in the political thing ... those who represent the majority of the Spanish are not those that more noise they do.

The PSOE and the PP support a more neutral position, are alternated in the government and know that the Monarchy is one positive element for the State. Though sometimes for their political ideas they can stagger a bit, finally the reason prevails, because they are those who govern. Between the PSOE and the PP they occupy 312 charges in the Congress.

The rest of political groups add 38 charges. These groups are or the communists of IU, or autonomous and independence groups. These groups are very noisy, because they have more radical ideas and because they do not have the responsibility of those who govern the State. They look more for the benefit of their political group or of their Autonomous Community, that the benefit of the State. The problem takes place when these minority groups are the key in order that one of the big groups governs ... in this case they earn a power and an influence that the votes have not given them.

Thanks for explaining this lula.

Appointing the auditor might not only be the first step towards more transparency (and a less privileged life) but also towards survival. Spain is a democracy and as the government funds the SRF the spanish taxpayers (= public) have the right to know what happens with the money. It's normal in most other monarchies, even HM The Queen was forced to give insight and finally pay taxes many years ago. The King knows opposing against it is pointless in the end and the key to survival is pointing at positive aspects and not inisting on old habits. The relation between public and SRF will go more and more in the "give and take" direction, value for money and if the balance is right, the monarchy will survive. At the end of the day, in democracies the true head of state is always the public, and not a King or Prime Minister etc. because if they don't walk the line, they will be abolished or not be re-elected.

It can move to the public opinion. That do more noise it does not mean that they represent to the majority.

I've just seen you've added this sentence. Yes, how true and even though it's not the majority, it cannot be underestimated as people will follow the most silly attitudes if they feel not being taken seriously by the present system. It can be dangerous and lead to consequences that most supporters had not intended in the beginning.

Felipe's gonna have a hard time if he ever gets the throne, and his odds are lessening by the minute:cool:
There are a lot of republicans in Spain, a lot of people don't wanna the monarchy

Last edited:
«Cambio radical» en la Casa del Rey

Perhaps for that reason the treatment that has occurred to Doña Letizia not has given her no other member of the family. It has been criticized to her not to have children and to have them, by his thinness and its form to dress, its smile, for his origins, to take well with the his mother-in-law and, most incredible, to shine bikini on the high seas, as if most of the less young young people and of this country they did not use that beach article, swimming pools and boats. What demonstrates that to many citizens they did not like that the Prince chose a modern woman, who has known to remove the chestnuts from the fire without more aid than the one of her family and a great force of will.

Felipe's gonna have a hard time if he ever gets the throne, and his odds are lessening by the minute:cool:

First, excuse me but I have some difficulties to well understand the meaning "gonna" in a sentence. Is this expression very frequent in the english written or is an oral expression?

Then for the hard job of the Prince of Asturias - may be we can say now for the Princes of Asturias- it seems to me that since a long time Felipe knows how it will be difficult to be King of Spain. May be I'm wrong but I beleive that in an interview when he was going home after the Georgetown University, he said that the throne had to be win day by day, may be minute by minute. I'm very confident about the fact that the Princes of Asturias are able to determine the best way to succeed in a very hard job, this to becoming Kings of Spain in a century were the monarchic system could be analyse as a true anchronism.

When you speak with spanish people, it's absolutly clear that the most reluctant for the acceptation of Felipe as a king are the aristocratic circles who pretend that the Prince of Asturias don't have neither the personality of his father nor his intellignce. They add that with his wedding with the granddaughter of a taxi driver he did by himself a "lese majesty " crime.
We can remark that this part of the spanish society is not very powerful and today very numerous. It's clear too that Princes of Asturias don't look at them to succeed in their aim.

The principal source of the Princes of Asturias's help is in the middle class of Spain which is very numerous and the main objectif of the Princes is to convince the young population whom the politic ideas are very ambiguous about the monarchy that it will always be very good for Spain and the spagniards. I think that it wil here the most hard job of the Princes to be credible.:flowers:

well adelaide, gonna is the contraction of Going to:cool:

I have spanish ancestry, have family there and lots of friends as well, not to mention I travel there a lot; and I know a lot of republicans, specially in the younger generations

the old people (over 60 years and so) are usually monarchists, but the young ones, the ones who didn't live under Franco's regime, are mostly republican, and those will be the subjects of an eventual reign of Felipe; they don't care if Letizia is middle class or whatever, they don't want a monarchy period

the republican aren't only comunists or left-wing followers, there are a lot of them, with a lot of different beliefs; they aren't a small insolated group of people, there are quite several of them

Felipe and Letizia aren't as popular as some people might have led us to believe

Last edited:
The Spanish we do move for convenience, are not deeply monarchic but so republican either. We criticize to the Monarchy like we criticize the politicians. And we criticize them because they occupy a position of power.

But ultimately, the certain thing is that when there is a survey and this one it includes the whole society, the Monarchy continues being the most valued Institution.

We can think that the Monarchy is not the perfect way of government ... but we do not also trust in that the politicians that we have could take forward a stable Republic.

Crisiñaki, on the young people ... the strange thing would be that they were deeply monarchic. With 20 years you are rebellious and progressive and modern ... but the life and the mentality to the 20 is not the same that to the 30. Many people go on from an idealistic thought to a more reflexive thought.

well, you might be right lula, but I know a lot of people who are in their 30 and 40 and are republicans, the 20 year olds care for nothing:cool:

the monarchy is not the most respected institution, the Kings are very respected, the rest of the family not that much

The Times is indeed a serious newspaper, but most of the time, the Times and the Sunday Times didn't have nice things to say about the Spanish monarchy, on the other hand, the Spanish media rarely said nice things on the English monarchy either.
It's not so hard to use the quotes of some of the side stream anti-monarchy politicians (PP and PSOE are the two main political parties in Spain) to slam on JC and the SRF although the article also made a few good points (ex. the transparency of the finance).

Last edited:
this is a topic that you would never see in a serious newspaper in Spain, they tend to do some kind of self-censure when it comes to the SRF, the british press doesn't say nice things about the SRF 'cuz they usually say the things that the same spanish press kept hidden

the PP and PSOE would never say something against the monarchy, 'cuz it's the system that works for all of them to keep the power, and it all comes down to a power struggle and to keep it

my grandparents are juancarlistas forever, since it was better to live under JC than under Franco and the dictatorship; my father is a republican, most of his friends are, they respect the Kings but after they go, they would like to be able to elect their Chief of State and many people is thinking about the same lines

Evidently, there are republicans of all the ages ... but your reference has been to the youth, a sector of the population who always is more liberal and of more changeable thought. The societies change, and evidently the Spanish society is more liberal than 30 years ago, and not then not now has even been a deeply monarchic society. But this critical attitude that can be had towards the Monarchy they are had also towards other institutions of the State.
For the official surveys of the Center of Sociological Investigations the Monarchy is valued as institution; in the survey of October of last year the Monarchy is over the Government or the Parliament (only they overcome the army and the police).
SAS Output

Donna, it demonstrates little seriousness that has the press nowadays... In general, every time they are less professional, and forget to confirm information or to give a complete vision of the same ones.

Crisiñaki, I consider myself to be neither monarchic nor republican, but if it is in day I have to choose a Chief of State, prefer to a Felipe de Borbón that to any Spanish politician. Simply because I believe that he can give a better service to the State.

I prefer a Chief of State, who at least speaks languages, which formation and who knows the international politics, and who is capable of happening without sticking to a political ideas. I have confidence in which he can exercise a good role. If he was a disaster, ignoramus and vague, one would question it.

If the today politicians were capable of doing the sacrifices that the politicians of theTransition, it would not be important for me to have a President of the Republic ... but again and again they demonstrate that they are not capable. The Spanish politicians go from bad to worse, there come to positions of power persons who scarcely have formation, which with luck they have approved Law. They live facing constant, each one looks for own interest, and when they come to the power they take advantage well. They are unable to take together decisions of State, and face even in what they agree. With a politicians who go adriff, the Prince offers me more enough confidence that they.

If the PP and the PSOE, support the King, it is because they have the duty to be persons in charge. It is not a secret that the King helps to cover enough the mistakes of the politicians, mistakes that are of them, but that affect the State and all the citizens. Evidently those that they do not govern, and those who win with the clashes, little matters for them the King, is more troubles them.

The Monarchy can be a paradox in the Europe of the 21st century, but it does not stop being true that works enough good in the States in which it exists. It is not possible to choose them but it has its advantages.

I have never paid close attention to the Spanish Royal family because they looked so happy and united. They seem so popular with their subjects. I view Infanta Elena as an epitome of elegance and sophisticated aristocratism.
While perusing this thread, I have been amazed to learn that the Spanish Royal family seems to be surrounded with controversies related to financial improprieties. :ohmy:

While perusing this thread, I have been amazed to learn that the Spanish Royal family seems to be surrounded with controversies related to financial improprieties. :ohmy:

The topic that treats itself in this articl of The Time is explained badly.

The House of the King acts in agreement to the Law, according to the Spanish Constitution the King receives an economic quantity that the Government establishes, for the maintenance of his family and House, and the King can distribute this money freely.

Another thing is that certain political minority groups, they want that now the King does a separation of all these expenses and publicizes them.
The law does not establish it, and the Parliament has not passed not in the matter at all.

Other things with regard to his patrimony personal, a topic that is more unknown ... but there is a bit absurd the commentary of this news on a luxurious life. If the Spanish Royal Family takes a luxurious life, not since it is possible to define the life of other Chiefs of State, Kings or Presidents of Republics.:eek:

lula, with all due respect, the management of the money given to the Royal House is not completely clear; specially if we know that Juan Carlos came to Spain being quite poor and now he has a lot of money

where did all that come from?:rolleyes:

sadly, things about the Spanish monarchy aren't as clear and perfect as you try to make others see:neutral:

Every thing in its place.

A thing is the money that the Government assigns to him, and other one his personal patrimony.

The money that the King receives, is for him, for his family and for the maintenance of the House of the King (it is to say, the expenses of the Headquarters of the State and those who are employed at it). This money it establishes the government inside the General Budgets of the State, and is of supposing that as the money that is assigned to any institution of the State it is assigned in agreement to some criterion. Another thing sews it is that the law not requires that publicizes a detailed description of all this information. It is more the law establishes that he distributes it freely.

His personal patrimony is a darker and more unknown topic. I do not believe that he was so poor, his parents did not do life of rich but they were receiving helps of the monarchic ones, and when he married Sofia she was a Princess of Greece. As the years went by he will have been done by a good patrimony, that has not been exempt of controversy. The King had friends, who were some of the most powerful men of Spain, and that finished involved in topics of corruption.

On the other hand, the Prime minister has all his covered expenses, and to parthe receives a salary. Of the same way it is a logician think, that of the money that receives the House of the King, pay the salaries of the Royal Family ... they will save something.

Also there is many confusion on which it belongs to the King and that belongs to the National wealth, and therefore, to the State. All the Palaces belong to the State. The House of The Mareta (gift of the King Hussein) or the yacht Fortune (first gift of the King Fahd and the second one of the businessmen of Majorca), also they belong to the State.

Last edited:
I respect your opinion lula and I am aware that some part of the spanish population think the way you do and believe in the monarchy and in the continuity of it in the person of Felipe de Borbon

Others think like the way I do and don't wanna continue with that institution, it has served its purpose, but I'd like to be able to choose my Chief of State, just because if it's worthless, then i have the oportunity to change him/her every 4 years, while a King/Queen can only be deployed in a referendum or in a coup

I consider myself juancarlista, but I'll never be a felipista, he doesn't represent what I want for the future of the country and it just isn't about Letizia, I just don't find him suitable (of course, that's just my opinion)

No one here has the absolute truth and isn't allowed to pontificate on those matters, it's all about political points of view ;)

Last edited:
this is a topic that you would never see in a serious newspaper in Spain, they tend to do some kind of self-censure when it comes to the SRF, the british press doesn't say nice things about the SRF 'cuz they usually say the things that the same spanish press kept hidden

The incidents mentioned in the articles had been reported in the serious newspaper (at least Elmundo), I don't see what had been kept hidden. Of course the seriouls newspaper wouldn't have written a similar article since two politicians from two minor nationalist parties no way represented the opinions of the general public. On people questioning Felipe's fitness to be the King, sure there are people who don't find him suitable, but so far there is no proof that these people belong to the majority of the population.

the PP and PSOE would never say something against the monarchy, 'cuz it's the system that works for all of them to keep the power, and it all comes down to a power struggle and to keep it

The PP and PSOE are the bread and butter of the Spanish politics. If these two parties support the monarchy (for whatever reasons), then Spain will have monarchy.

lula, with all due respect, the management of the money given to the Royal House is not completely clear; specially if we know that Juan Carlos came to Spain being quite poor and now he has a lot of money

where did all that come from?:rolleyes:

sadly, things about the Spanish monarchy aren't as clear and perfect as you try to make others see:neutral:

I don't believe the King's fortune was from the budget. Beside paying for the Princes, 4 infantas, he has about 100 employees to feed. I think the SRF would have been very lucky not to go over the budget as some other royal families in Europe did.
When a country in in transition, it's much easier for people in power to become rich quickly. JC was not the only one rumored to be very rich, other politicians (including ex-PMs) in Spain were also rumored to be rich. This had happened to lots of other countries, such as Taiwan, China, South Korea, eastern European countries and etc.

This guy Alvaro Harnden, Madrid, from timesonline, said exactly what I wanted to say :flowers:.

In the 21st century, monarchy should be analysed from a practical point of view. History aside, King Juan Carlos plays an invaluable political, diplomatic and economic role with a budget way below that of any other comparable head of state (according to your data nearly 8 times smaller than Queen Elizabeth). He is extraordinarily appreciated throughout the World and has more than once been the one to repair political gaffes made by the Spanish government. He knows his job well and has done it for over 30 years. No wonder most Spaniards are "juancarlistas". Whether his son should be King or not is merely a practical issue. If he is half as good as his father at double the cost he will still be a better choice than a more expensive, less experienced President of the Republic.

Alvaro Harnden, Madrid, Spain

This guy Alvaro Harnden, Madrid, from timesonline, said exactly what I wanted to say :flowers:.

In the 21st century, monarchy should be analysed from a practical point of view. History aside, King Juan Carlos plays an invaluable political, diplomatic and economic role with a budget way below that of any other comparable head of state (according to your data nearly 8 times smaller than Queen Elizabeth). He is extraordinarily appreciated throughout the World and has more than once been the one to repair political gaffes made by the Spanish government. He knows his job well and has done it for over 30 years. No wonder most Spaniards are "juancarlistas". Whether his son should be King or not is merely a practical issue. If he is half as good as his father at double the cost he will still be a better choice than a more expensive, less experienced President of the Republic.

Alvaro Harnden, Madrid, Spain

Although I share the main essence of Alvaro's opinion, just a slight remark:

With all due respect, I would't call HM The Queen "any other comparable head of state" in regard to JC. There is a reason that JC's budget is 8 times smaller as it does reflect the lesser importance of the Spanish monarchy. Great Britain & Commonwealth etc plus the long history and role of the BRF is very much a different calibre, to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom