The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think its a part of human nature that when faced with a change, there will always be those out there that believe they have the right ideas on how to build a better mousetrap so to speak. I think I would be more worried should there be a society where change is just accepted at face value with the people resigned to what is presented to them in an apathetic manner.
For thoughtful, and very true!

Old 06-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Letizia Ortiz Rocasoleno had only one religious marriage and that was with the future King Felipe VI.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Letizia Ortiz Rocasoleno had only one religious marriage and that was with the future King Felipe VI.

Many people don't make that distinction. If it's a legal marriage, it counts.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
Regardless what people may think about the Princess, the protest are against the monarchy as institution, not against her.
As I said earlier, we shouldn't read too much into these protests..
Old 06-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
Regardless what people may think about the Princess, the protest are against the monarchy as institution, not against her.

The demonstrations have been organised by cheap republican groups, still trying to keep the dream of the Third Republic alive...
Old 06-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Royal Highness

Whoever the demonstrators are, they are very lucky indeed to live in a country that allows them to demonstrate. 20,000 people might seem quite a lot, but not much more than can be raised for a football match. Spain has 47m inhabitants more or less, so a demonstration of, say, 20m people and that might be a different story!

I truly think that King Felipe VI will be an inspirational king and an amazing leader for his country. Whatever ones views on the monarchy, I can think of absolutely no elected head of state who appears to have the same gravitas as Felipe. The bonds between Felipe and Letizia see to be exceptionally strong and as such, she will be good in her role as Queen Consort.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Whoever the demonstrators are, they are very lucky indeed to live in a country that allows them to demonstrate. 20,000 people might seem quite a lot, but not much more than can be raised for a football match. Spain has 47m inhabitants more or less, so a demonstration of, say, 20m people and that might be a different story!

I truly think that King Felipe VI will be an inspirational king and an amazing leader for his country. Whatever ones views on the monarchy, I can think of absolutely no elected head of state who appears to have the same gravitas as Felipe. The bonds between Felipe and Letizia see to be exceptionally strong and as such, she will be good in her role as Queen Consort.
One thing that is good too about demonstrations is that it also gives an insight to the monarch as what is on the minds of the people and what they're not happy with or what they feel the country needs and they can then address the problems if need be.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing that is good too about demonstrations is that it also gives an insight to the monarch as what is on the minds of the people and what they're not happy with or what they feel the country needs and they can then address the problems if need be.

I Absolutely agree
Old 06-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeJonathan81 View Post
The demonstrations have been organised by cheap republican groups, still trying to keep the dream of the Third Republic alive...
I don't understand why you call republicans cheap.They are as respectful as monarchists.Those demonstrating have every right to do it.
As far as I know,they are are not asking for a dictatorship
Old 06-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Letizia's delightful aunt call for a referendum on the Monarchy or Republic

Henar Ortiz, ta de la Princesa Letizia, se une a la peticin de un referndum sobre Monarqua o Repblica - Bekia
Old 06-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Letizia's delightful aunt call for a referendum on the Monarchy or Republic

Henar Ortiz, ta de la Princesa Letizia, se une a la peticin de un referndum sobre Monarqua o Repblica - Bekia
How cute from her

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 06-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by soraya View Post
I don't understand why you call republicans cheap.They are as respectful as monarchists.Those demonstrating have every right to do it.

As far as I know,they are are not asking for a dictatorship

SOME of them are as respectful as monarchists, some of them aren't. I suppose I'm taking it in an British perspective, the republicans over here in the UK are all nutters, they don't have an argument and simply rant on Daily Mail about how the Queen should be beheaded, a lot (but not all) Spanish republicans hate the their royals, as opposed to the Institution.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeJonathan81 View Post
SOME of them are as respectful as monarchists, some of them aren't. I suppose I'm taking it in an British perspective, the republicans over here in the UK are all nutters, they don't have an argument and simply rant on Daily Mail about how the Queen should be beheaded, a lot (but not all) Spanish republicans hate the their royals, as opposed to the Institution.
Republicans or monarchists,I believe that the majority of westerners are nowadays sane enough not to behead another human being was it a dictator.
Shall a European monarchy became a republic I highly doubt it's royal family will be killed.
I am sure that what happened to the Romanov,Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette and their children will never happen to another royal family at least in Europe.
What seemed normal at that time is a crime nowadays.Same thing with slavery,it simply can't be praticed again.

As a democrat,I believe that people are entitled to demonstrate against their rulers and question the necessity of a monarchy or any other system.
Considering them insane is imo irrespectful and it may even lead them to extremist views .
Old 06-03-2014, 05:42 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by soraya View Post
Republicans or monarchists,I believe that the majority of westerners are nowadays sane enough not to behead another human being was it a dictator.

Shall a European monarchy became a republic I highly doubt it's royal family will be killed.

I am sure that what happened to the Romanov,Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette and their children will never happen to another royal family at least in Europe.

What seemed normal at that time is a crime nowadays.Same thing with slavery,it simply can't be praticed again.

As a democrat,I believe that people are entitled to demonstrate against their rulers and question the necessity of a monarchy or any other system.

Considering them insane is imo irrespectful and it may even lead them to extremist views .

Oh I agree, people should be entitled to their views, and should be entitled, if they wish, to demonstrate. It's just the people that call for the royals to be killed that annoys me, hate the institution, not the people who run it.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Serene Highness

Thousands rally in Madrid to call for end to Spanish monarchy following abdication:

Thousands rally in favor of a republic | In English | EL PAÍS

Riot police called out.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Thousands rally in Madrid to call for end to Spanish monarchy following abdication:

Thousands rally in favor of a republic | In English | EL PAÍS

Riot police called out.

Starting to doubt my own words now...

Maybe a referendum should be taken into consideration
Old 06-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

In the Parliament the majority is royalist.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Change always brings about debate. There are no riots (riot police does not mean riots are happening). There is no political will in Spain to promote a change to Republicanism. Ive read that from many Spanish people today.

What the country needs is stability - particularly economic stability - rather than just more changes. This iis the message I got loud and clear today.

EDIT: Also meant to add that I think this is the public really confirming how angry they are with JC. I think they will give Felipe the chance to turn it round. If he doesn't.... that's another story.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-03-2014, 06:35 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
In the Parliament the majority is royalist.

That may well be but let's remember that the majority rule, polls have shown the monarchy at as low as 48%, this is bad and an referendum may spell the end on the monarchy. It's so sad, the end of the worlds last Hispanic monarchy (correct me if I'm wrong...)
Old 06-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

Change always brings about debate. There are no riots (riot police does not mean riots are happening). There is no political will in Spain to promote a change to Republicanism. Ive read that from many Spanish people today.

What the country needs is stability - particularly economic stability - rather than just more changes. This iis the message I got loud and clear today.

EDIT: Also meant to add that I think this is the public really confirming how angry they are with JC. I think they will give Felipe the chance to turn it round. If he doesn't.... that's another story.

For the sake of the continuation of the Spanish Monarchy lets hope Felipe can turn things around... drastically. It's very sad to see Spain in such a state, I will only hope that these protestors are in the minority.

Tags
catalonia, future of the monarchy, juan carlist, juan carlos i, royalist, spain, spanish nobility, spanish royal family