The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #781  
Old 06-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 4,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think its a part of human nature that when faced with a change, there will always be those out there that believe they have the right ideas on how to build a better mousetrap so to speak. I think I would be more worried should there be a society where change is just accepted at face value with the people resigned to what is presented to them in an apathetic manner.
For thoughtful, and very true!
__________________

__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #782  
Old 06-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 2,766
Letizia Ortiz Rocasoleno had only one religious marriage and that was with the future King Felipe VI.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #783  
Old 06-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Letizia Ortiz Rocasoleno had only one religious marriage and that was with the future King Felipe VI.

Many people don't make that distinction. If it's a legal marriage, it counts.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #784  
Old 06-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Reading, United Kingdom
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
Regardless what people may think about the Princess, the protest are against the monarchy as institution, not against her.
As I said earlier, we shouldn't read too much into these protests..
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #785  
Old 06-03-2014, 02:09 PM
DukeJonathan81's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
Regardless what people may think about the Princess, the protest are against the monarchy as institution, not against her.

The demonstrations have been organised by cheap republican groups, still trying to keep the dream of the Third Republic alive...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #786  
Old 06-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grundisburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,878
Whoever the demonstrators are, they are very lucky indeed to live in a country that allows them to demonstrate. 20,000 people might seem quite a lot, but not much more than can be raised for a football match. Spain has 47m inhabitants more or less, so a demonstration of, say, 20m people and that might be a different story!

I truly think that King Felipe VI will be an inspirational king and an amazing leader for his country. Whatever ones views on the monarchy, I can think of absolutely no elected head of state who appears to have the same gravitas as Felipe. The bonds between Felipe and Letizia see to be exceptionally strong and as such, she will be good in her role as Queen Consort.
__________________
J
Reply With Quote
  #787  
Old 06-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Whoever the demonstrators are, they are very lucky indeed to live in a country that allows them to demonstrate. 20,000 people might seem quite a lot, but not much more than can be raised for a football match. Spain has 47m inhabitants more or less, so a demonstration of, say, 20m people and that might be a different story!

I truly think that King Felipe VI will be an inspirational king and an amazing leader for his country. Whatever ones views on the monarchy, I can think of absolutely no elected head of state who appears to have the same gravitas as Felipe. The bonds between Felipe and Letizia see to be exceptionally strong and as such, she will be good in her role as Queen Consort.
One thing that is good too about demonstrations is that it also gives an insight to the monarch as what is on the minds of the people and what they're not happy with or what they feel the country needs and they can then address the problems if need be.
__________________
We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
Reply With Quote
  #788  
Old 06-03-2014, 04:00 PM
DukeJonathan81's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing that is good too about demonstrations is that it also gives an insight to the monarch as what is on the minds of the people and what they're not happy with or what they feel the country needs and they can then address the problems if need be.

I Absolutely agree
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #789  
Old 06-03-2014, 04:03 PM
soraya's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: somewhere, France
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeJonathan81 View Post
The demonstrations have been organised by cheap republican groups, still trying to keep the dream of the Third Republic alive...
I don't understand why you call republicans cheap.They are as respectful as monarchists.Those demonstrating have every right to do it.
As far as I know,they are are not asking for a dictatorship
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #790  
Old 06-03-2014, 04:05 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Posts: 9,197
Letizia's delightful aunt call for a referendum on the Monarchy or Republic

Henar Ortiz, ta de la Princesa Letizia, se une a la peticin de un referndum sobre Monarqua o Repblica - Bekia
__________________
October 31st,2005,Birth of HRH The Princess of Asturias
Reply With Quote
  #791  
Old 06-03-2014, 04:08 PM
ANNIE_S's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: -, Spain
Posts: 2,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Letizia's delightful aunt call for a referendum on the Monarchy or Republic

Henar Ortiz, ta de la Princesa Letizia, se une a la peticin de un referndum sobre Monarqua o Repblica - Bekia
How cute from her
__________________
Palaces are not the ones that dignify kings; kings are the ones who honor them with their presence.
Isabel, ep. 26

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Reply With Quote
  #792  
Old 06-03-2014, 04:13 PM
DukeJonathan81's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by soraya View Post
I don't understand why you call republicans cheap.They are as respectful as monarchists.Those demonstrating have every right to do it.

As far as I know,they are are not asking for a dictatorship

SOME of them are as respectful as monarchists, some of them aren't. I suppose I'm taking it in an British perspective, the republicans over here in the UK are all nutters, they don't have an argument and simply rant on Daily Mail about how the Queen should be beheaded, a lot (but not all) Spanish republicans hate the their royals, as opposed to the Institution.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #793  
Old 06-03-2014, 05:36 PM
soraya's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: somewhere, France
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeJonathan81 View Post
SOME of them are as respectful as monarchists, some of them aren't. I suppose I'm taking it in an British perspective, the republicans over here in the UK are all nutters, they don't have an argument and simply rant on Daily Mail about how the Queen should be beheaded, a lot (but not all) Spanish republicans hate the their royals, as opposed to the Institution.
Republicans or monarchists,I believe that the majority of westerners are nowadays sane enough not to behead another human being was it a dictator.
Shall a European monarchy became a republic I highly doubt it's royal family will be killed.
I am sure that what happened to the Romanov,Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette and their children will never happen to another royal family at least in Europe.
What seemed normal at that time is a crime nowadays.Same thing with slavery,it simply can't be praticed again.

As a democrat,I believe that people are entitled to demonstrate against their rulers and question the necessity of a monarchy or any other system.
Considering them insane is imo irrespectful and it may even lead them to extremist views .
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #794  
Old 06-03-2014, 05:42 PM
DukeJonathan81's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by soraya View Post
Republicans or monarchists,I believe that the majority of westerners are nowadays sane enough not to behead another human being was it a dictator.

Shall a European monarchy became a republic I highly doubt it's royal family will be killed.

I am sure that what happened to the Romanov,Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette and their children will never happen to another royal family at least in Europe.

What seemed normal at that time is a crime nowadays.Same thing with slavery,it simply can't be praticed again.



As a democrat,I believe that people are entitled to demonstrate against their rulers and question the necessity of a monarchy or any other system.

Considering them insane is imo irrespectful and it may even lead them to extremist views .

Oh I agree, people should be entitled to their views, and should be entitled, if they wish, to demonstrate. It's just the people that call for the royals to be killed that annoys me, hate the institution, not the people who run it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #795  
Old 06-03-2014, 06:07 PM
PrincessKaimi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hilo, Malibu, United States
Posts: 1,325
Thousands rally in Madrid to call for end to Spanish monarchy following abdication:

Thousands rally in favor of a republic | In English | EL PAÍS

Riot police called out.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #796  
Old 06-03-2014, 06:24 PM
DukeJonathan81's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Thousands rally in Madrid to call for end to Spanish monarchy following abdication:

Thousands rally in favor of a republic | In English | EL PAÍS

Riot police called out.

Starting to doubt my own words now...

Maybe a referendum should be taken into consideration
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #797  
Old 06-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 2,766
In the Parliament the majority is royalist.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #798  
Old 06-03-2014, 06:34 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,510


Change always brings about debate. There are no riots (riot police does not mean riots are happening). There is no political will in Spain to promote a change to Republicanism. Ive read that from many Spanish people today.

What the country needs is stability - particularly economic stability - rather than just more changes. This iis the message I got loud and clear today.

EDIT: Also meant to add that I think this is the public really confirming how angry they are with JC. I think they will give Felipe the chance to turn it round. If he doesn't.... that's another story.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #799  
Old 06-03-2014, 06:35 PM
DukeJonathan81's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
In the Parliament the majority is royalist.

That may well be but let's remember that the majority rule, polls have shown the monarchy at as low as 48%, this is bad and an referendum may spell the end on the monarchy. It's so sad, the end of the worlds last Hispanic monarchy (correct me if I'm wrong...)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #800  
Old 06-03-2014, 06:38 PM
DukeJonathan81's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post


Change always brings about debate. There are no riots (riot police does not mean riots are happening). There is no political will in Spain to promote a change to Republicanism. Ive read that from many Spanish people today.

What the country needs is stability - particularly economic stability - rather than just more changes. This iis the message I got loud and clear today.

EDIT: Also meant to add that I think this is the public really confirming how angry they are with JC. I think they will give Felipe the chance to turn it round. If he doesn't.... that's another story.

For the sake of the continuation of the Spanish Monarchy lets hope Felipe can turn things around... drastically. It's very sad to see Spain in such a state, I will only hope that these protestors are in the minority.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
catalonia, future of the monarchy, juan carlist, juan carlos i, royalist, spain, spanish nobility, spanish royal family


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Future of the Danish Monarchy Empress Royal House of Denmark 456 10-06-2014 05:49 PM
If a Future King married a Future Queen? BritishRoyalist General Royal Discussion 41 07-30-2014 09:23 AM
Future of the Belgian monarchy Marengo Royal Family of Belgium 87 08-15-2008 01:22 PM
Future of the Dutch Monarchy Marengo Dutch Royals 2 06-04-2007 09:50 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympics ottoman poland pom pregnancy prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]