The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-28-2011, 07:08 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
Although I agree that the non-attendance of SRF to the Princely wedding is a bit peculiar, I wouldn't call it the end of spanish monarchy...
I agree, From what I've seen and read I don't think anyone is bothered by their not attending the wedding in Spain(besides us Spanish royal watchers). The press has decided that because it's a princely wedding instead of a royal wedding, the King doesn't need to send a substitute, and every newspaper is parroting this peculiar information, saying protocol in this case means if the King isn't going, nobody needs to go.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaC View Post
I agree, From what I've seen and read I don't think anyone is bothered by their not attending the wedding in Spain(besides us Spanish royal watchers). The press has decided that because it's a princely wedding instead of a royal wedding, the King doesn't need to send a substitute, and every newspaper is parroting this peculiar information, saying protocol in this case means if the King isn't going, nobody needs to go.
I think I'm going to stop being a Spanish royal watcher,I've followed them for many years

A royal Family thats afraid to be Royal are sadly not worth the effort in my opinion.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Royal Highness

There is article on the Saudi Arabia thread saying the Kings niece, Princess Sarah, is having her 'hen' party this weekend and rumors are Letizia is set to attend.....hmmm.....if true, wonder if that's why she isn't attending the wedding.....

Oops wrong thread- but I guess it's not totally off topic :) sorry!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
There is article on the Saudi Arabia thread saying the Kings niece, Princess Sarah, is having her 'hen' party this weekend and rumors are Letizia is set to attend.....hmmm.....if true, wonder if that's why she isn't attending the wedding.....

Oops wrong thread- but I guess it's not totally off topic :) sorry!
Who's Princess Sarah?

I seriously doubt that Letizia would go to a hen party over a Princely State Wedding!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri

Who's Princess Sarah?

I seriously doubt that Letizia would go to a hen party over a Princely State Wedding!
The niece of the King of Saudia Arabia....as I said it was just in an article as a rumor

Edit- borrowed the post from that thread with link below
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasumi
More than 400 arabian princesses will be at a barchelorette party of Princess Sarah Fahd bin Salman al-Saud at Costa del Sol.

Article in Spanish
Google translation
Old 06-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I think I'm going to stop being a Spanish royal watcher,I've followed them for many years

A royal Family thats afraid to be Royal are sadly not worth the effort in my opinion.
An Ard Ri, you will be missed.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I COMPLETELY, 100% agree. Not worth my effort, and I don't see the point of them anymore.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The King was afraid to celebrate his 70th Birthday,Letizia is afraid to wear her new tiara & now their afraid to send anyone to the Princely Wedding in Monaco?

There's no celebration of the Monarchs birthday or his accession to the throne.The Royal Family have put away all their jewels & seem afraid to wear anything incase of upsetting the public mood.

The future does not sound too good for the Borbóns in my opinion!
JC is not afraid of nothing, he always does what he wants. Just a couple of weeks ago, he was trying to ban the access of the journalists to the audiences at Zarzuela.
There is no royal birthday celebration in Spain, because JC dislilkes all celebrations and pompous events. Sometimes he takes more 'guts' to eliminate the traditions than to keep them, for example the royal court.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Every country is different. I don´t see that the future of the monarchy depends on how the monarch celebrates his/her birthdays or how often the royal ladies use their tiaras or big jewelry.
The future of a monarchy depends on the job the royals are doing - the people must think that the royals are needed. The royals should concentrate to earn their money by attending important events and be as support when their people need them. Like Felipe and Letizia participating the sad events, funerals of soldiers or those whose die in big accidents.
I respect very much the job the spanish royals are doing - not to concentrating in big celebrations with champagne and glitter, but doing serious work.
The spanish royal family is one of the most interesting royal families in the world to me, and I certainly am not going to stop following them just because they don´t participate at some wedding.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Every country is different. I don´t see that the future of the monarchy depends on how the monarch celebrates his/her birthdays or how often the royal ladies use their tiaras or big jewelry.
The future of a monarchy depends on the job the royals are doing - the people must think that the royals are needed. The royals should concentrate to earn their money by attending important events and be as support when their people need them. Like Felipe and Letizia participating the sad events, funerals of soldiers or those whose die in big accidents.
I respect very much the job the spanish royals are doing - not to concentrating in big celebrations with champagne and glitter, but doing serious work.
The spanish royal family is one of the most interesting royal families in the world to me, and I certainly am not going to stop following them just because they don´t participate at some wedding.
I don't doubt that The Spanish RF are one of the hardest working RF's & I have admired & respected them from afar for a good few years.

But this is not 'some wedding' its the wedding of a Head of State,the son of Prince Rainier III whom The King was very close to.All the other Royal Families are sending someone but Spain dithers & will leave it to the 'last minute',which frankly is rude .

Had the RF announced last week that they weren't sending anyone that would be fine,but here we are 2 days before the Civil Ceremony of Queen Victoria Eugenia's godson & still no word either way
Old 06-29-2011, 05:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
I too am interested in the Spanish Royal Family and will keep on following their activities regardless of whether they attend royal weddings or not. They are not the most social, or bejeweled royals so one will be disappointed that most activities are official and not so
glamorous.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Majesty

Ofcourse there's a future for the Monarchy in Spain after Felipe and Letizia take over,no problem.Whatever "they" say on it,it doesn't depend on "them"...its bullocks that it will end with JC..really,too many rags and too many free time on their hands...comprendo..bueno!..Las locas y los locos del mundo....
Old 07-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Serene Highness

I just wonder what it will be like under king Phillip (Felipe) and queen letizia and crown princess leonor
Old 08-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Aristocracy

2 new articles on future of monarchy

This one seems to place the emphasis on Felipe and Letizia to be more closer to people, show more emotion, be one of them
Google Translate

Another is a survey: 72.8% of the Spanish considered the Prince of Asturias are prepared to assume increasing responsibilities, 67.7% think are the best representatives of Spain brand
Google Translate
Old 08-09-2011, 01:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkg View Post
2 new articles on future of monarchy

This one seems to place the emphasis on Felipe and Letizia to be more closer to people, show more emotion, be one of them
Google Translate

Another is a survey: 72.8% of the Spanish considered the Prince of Asturias are prepared to assume increasing responsibilities, 67.7% think are the best representatives of Spain brand
Google Translate
Thank you for the link. I'm not really surprised about the new poll results relating to the monarchy in Spain. I seem to remember there was another poll published by El Mundo about 3-4 years giving similar percentages. The monarchy is in a pretty healthy condition in Spain despite internet gossip to the contrary.

A few other stats that are interesting;

- 59.8% of young people feel the best thing about Felipe and Letizia is the closeness to the people.

- Austerity and experience - other two qualities Spaniards value more about them.

-90.5% of people supports Letizia's decision of using Spanish designers.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:35 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I have no doubt that Felipe will reign, the question is what will happen with Leonor and her offspring, a topic that applies to all monarchies, not only Spain.
With time moving on, people may want to get rid of monarchies and another issue is the willingness of the protagonists to make personal sacrifices, something that went to the extreme for Juan Carlos and what is not imaginable in modern times any longer.
Unlike heirs like Juan Carlos's generation, royal children like Leonor grow up in a world where everything seems possible and restricting themselves to what seems their destiny while at the same time being under constant scrutiny of the public, openly questioning their existence, may become pointless and cruel at some point.
Furthermore, the concept of monarchy may lose its grasp as soon as a heir comes along with a character that doesnt match the expectations of a public, something that could still be covered up some decades ago but not any longer.
It will be very, very difficult to keep up a disciplined family appearance, something that is already proving difficult for the present SRF, who knows what will come with Leonor as Queen and her sister Sofia being forced into the system too, maybe to a lesser extend but still on full media glare what may make the job even more difficult as being Queen.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:00 AM
Nobility

Every monarchy is under threat. Whether we like it or not, the concept of a hereditary head of state is becoming today much more of an anachronism and undemocratic than it ever was. And it's only going to get worse as global financial difficulties will increase the pressure on governments to scrutinise how much monarchies are worth to tax payers.

But none of this relates ONLY to Spain, which is what this thread is about. Where it comes to Spain and, specifically Spain, I am encouraged by stats reported above - that the majority of Spaniards think Felipe and Letizia are ready to assume greater responsibilities and that almost 68% think they best represent Spain. Considering Spaniards have a very low opinion of politicians overall, I think the monarchy is in a healthy condition going to the next generation.

What would happen in Leonor's time? That's way too far ahead in the future and none of us have a crystal ball to predict it.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Article on the well known fact that the King shies away from giving public affection to his son Felipe and his heiress-granddaughter Leonor. Although during summer holiday we could see that JC obviously is close to his grandchildren, to this date there is - unlike in many other monarchy - no public gesture towards his son or Leonor with respect to the succession - be it in a statement or stressed by pictures.
The only picture that exists is when Leonor was born and JC doesnt look one bit excited.

It seems that the old man sees himself firm in his seat and even though I dont think anybody in Zarzuela still believes that Letizia will have a son who would have an impact on succession, the topic is more or less surpressed, Leonor hasnt gone (publicly) to Asturias with her parents etc.
¿Por qué no hay fotos del rey con su nieta la heredera?
Old 08-29-2011, 05:49 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Article on the well known fact that the King shies away from giving public affection to his son Felipe and his heiress-granddaughter Leonor. Although during summer holiday we could see that JC obviously is close to his grandchildren, to this date there is - unlike in many other monarchy - no public gesture towards his son or Leonor with respect to the succession - be it in a statement or stressed by pictures.
The only picture that exists is when Leonor was born and JC doesnt look one bit excited.

It seems that the old man sees himself firm in his seat and even though I dont think anybody in Zarzuela still believes that Letizia will have a son who would have an impact on succession, the topic is more or less surpressed, Leonor hasnt gone (publicly) to Asturias with her parents etc.
¿Por qué no hay fotos del rey con su nieta la heredera?

I didn't even need to open the link to know it was from Vanitatis. Who else would feel the need to write such a pointless and negative article? If anyone can find any of their articles about the princess of Asturias, her husband or her daughters without negative connotations I would be very surprised.
The King shows the same affection to all of her children and grandchildren in public and that's something everybody can see. He doesn't need to make any statement as we all know that after her father Leonor is next in line to the throne, noboy has any doubt about it.
I've never heard or seen anyone complaining of this lack of statement, it's a completely bizarre and new way of Vanitatis to imply that the king hates his son, his daughter in law and their daughters

There have been plenty of signals if anyone is interested, the most powerful one who are her godparents: the King and Queen of Spain. Another way of communicating things without talking is the photo the King displays every year on a table next to him during his Christmas speech: the year of Leonor's birth it was a picture of the King, Felipe and Leonor.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:32 AM
Nobility

Vaniatis is pure yellow press living off Letizia. Not only their grammar is awful for any kind of semi serious publication but when it comes to news, what they don't know, they invent it. Paloma Barrientos is a parasite feeding off her lines on the SRF and Letizia. Fortunately for her, the SRF NEVER take people like her, or Penafield, to Court seeking damages for libel.

Tags
catalonia, future of the monarchy, juan carlist, juan carlos i, royalist, spain, spanish nobility, spanish royal family