Future and Popularity of the Spanish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"And yet, Juan Carlos remains adamant: He wants to be the king he was.
That’s not the problem: He is the king he was. It’s his kingdom that is no longer the same".
The Old King of the New Spain - NYTimes.com

It was interesting to learn that Few (the people of Spain) were monarchists at heart.
However the monarchy seemed to offer a safe path to stability.

At least the foreign press now hails Juan Carlos as savior of Spain because of his billion dollar deals that he bagged for spanish companies when touring the Arab countries that might help easing the economic heardship. The calls for abdication have died down.

It seems that his health just picked up in time in order to be able to travel, be seen, promote Spain's image and of course his own image.
Are Spanish media betting on King Juan Carlos again? | The Corner

All these trips are a campaign to relaunch the image of the King, with the help of the government and the media. Later this month is expected the judge will close the instruction of Noos case, and it will again be in the news, so they need to counter it.

They are rich countries, where the king still has some influence and Spanish companies need business... but not everyone sees it as being as good, because they are countries that are not exactly democratic, and the relationship of the king (and Corinna) with them and their business remains somewhat dark.

The situation reminds me of Italy in 1946. If King Victor Emmanuel had abdicated sooner, his son King Umberto would probably have won the referendum that year that ended the monarchy.

The situation reminds me of Italy in 1946. If King Victor Emmanuel had abdicated sooner, his son King Umberto would probably have won the referendum that year that ended the monarchy.

The situation is completely different,the situation in Italy was after WWII and the political chaos that ensued.

Queen Sofia and Prince Felipe are most popular spanish royals with King in 3rd and Letizia last for the core SRF.
Doña Sofía reina en las encuestas internas encargadas por Zarzuela - Noticias de Casas Reales

The poll was conducted by Zauzuela, right ? Anyone seriously thought JC and his grey men would put him at last ? It just shows how desperate JC wants to raise his popularity and he would do anything. Felipe is a wonderful person, but what a pathetic family (he has) Letizia had married into.

Unfortunately for JC, just a week or two ago, the CIS survey (a more scientific survey by Elmundo) showed JC got 3.72 out of 10, only improved 0.04 compared to the previous year when the monarchy was at the lowest despite all the campaign by Zarzuela. Also 85% of Spaniards believe monarchy (JC) involved in corruption.

Here is the article:
El 85% de los españoles cree que la familia real está implicada en casos de corrupción - Público.es

translated:
https://translate.google.com/transl...ada-en-casos-de-corrupcion&edit-text=&act=url

Last edited:
I dont know about this poll but the latest big El Mundo poll had the same result, Queen and Felipe being the most popular members.
I don't think anybody disputes that Felipe is not popular or not ready to reign.

I guess it depends who does the surveys, pro-monarchists will have ok results especially regarding Letizia while others will claim that she is the most unpopular member of the core SRF (also confirmed by El Mundo).

And how can you not think that the SRF is not involved in corruption after what happened. Felipe will have to work hard not being guilty by association. We'll see if he manages to get those multi billon dollar deals that JC manages to pull off the Arab countries.

Last edited:
I dont know about this poll but the latest big El Mundo poll had the same result, Queen and Felipe being the most popular members.
I don't think anybody disputes that Felipe is not popular or not ready to reign.

That was not the point, I was talking about JC and his grey men. The latest El Mundo CIS poll (in my previous post) showed that JC's approval rating had only improved 0.04 out of 10.

I guess it depends who does the surveys, pro-monarchists will have ok results especially regarding Letizia while others will claim that she is the most unpopular member of the core SRF (also confirmed by El Mundo).
El Mundo didn't have a poll to show Letizia was the most unpopular member of the core SFR, last time it was JC by a big margin. Some journalists were talking about the internal polls, that was conducted by Zarzuela, not El Mundo. My point was that if it was internal poll to see the standing of the monarchy, nobody knew how Zarzuela did the poll, Zarzuela should keep it to themselves instead going around claiming JC was no longer the least popular, Letizia was. it just shows how desperate and pathetic JC and his grey men have been trying to raise his popularity and keep him on the throne.

And how can you not think that the SRF is not involved in corruption after what happened. Felipe will have to work hard not being guilty by association. We'll see if he manages to get those multi billon dollar deals that JC manages to pull off the Arab countries.

JC has lost a lot after US and South American countries have new generation leaders. The Arab countries are pretty much the only place left for him since most of those countries leaders still the same generation as him. Those deals mostly benefit the business elites in Spain, not so much ordinary Spanish people, for example, the railroad deal, the companies were pretty required to hire local workers.

Last edited:
Abdication rumors again. At 10.30 the Prime Minister made ​​an official statement, and no one knows why, and one of the reasons with which the press speculate is abdication.

Like it or not, this is how you save a monarchy in this day and age. I said this this probable will, and definately should happen right after the Africa incident, and the basic collapse of the Spanish economy. I wish them luck. KJC's life will probable resemble that of the Queen of the Netherlands. He needs to step out of the way and let KP take the job completely to avoid confusion. If he does not, that could only do more harm to the Spanish monarchy.

I think the abdication is just what is needed in Spain. It may not make much difference to the economy etc, but it may give people/society some sort of a feeling of hope and something new to look forward to. I am confident Felipe will be a good monarch and will do all he can for Spain. He will reign in his own way and be a force of strength.

I feel Felipe is 'cut from the same cloth' as his mother, and will be a safe pair of hands, for Spain and for its monarchy.

On tv I heard that tonoght (In occasion to abdication) to there are going to be a lot of manifestations throughhout the main cities of Spain because Spaniards want to have a referendum...

I think the abdication is just what is needed in Spain. It may not make much difference to the economy etc, but it may give people/society some sort of a feeling of hope and something new to look forward to. I am confident Felipe will be a good monarch and will do all he can for Spain. He will reign in his own way and be a force of strength.

My opinion, too
BYe Bine

The abdication can be discussed in this thread. Several posts in this thread about the abdication have been moved.

The future will be difficult, it may hold a referendum and the end of bipartisanship that is as old as JC's reign. The republican movement will become stronger. With Felipe, the monarchy has a better chance to survive, but now with the old King gone, the gloves are off for all parties of interest. Spain is not united and it will show now even more.

The future will be difficult, it may hold a referendum and the end of bipartisanship that is as old as JC's reign. The republican movement will become stronger. With Felipe, the monarchy has a better chance to survive, but now with the old King gone, the gloves are off for all parties of interest. Spain is not united and it will show now even more.

Spain had a referendum in 1978 about democracy, parliament and governance. Actually WE DECIDED those issues not THAT long ago.

I'm glad bipartisanship is on the way out of Spain. At least the extreme right has not won the European elections.

TBH I am not a great fan of referenda. In a parlamentary democracy you vote once every 4 years or so, after which the mandate is given to whoever can reach a majority. People are free to vote for a republican party at that time, but a vast majority did not.
Politicians & the press are already too much focussed on short term gains as it is, a heap of referenda will only increase this short sightedness while they lose track of the more important longer term issues. If you hold a referendum about every issue it will result in utter chaos and nothing will be done at all. A temporary and recent decline in popularity doesn't seem to warrant a referendum at this point IMO.

Last edited:
I wonder will the anti monarchy demonstrations and celebrations at the abdication planned for this evening attract large crowds?

I wonder will the anti monarchy demonstrations and celebrations at the abdication planned for this evening attract large crowds?

Well, summer evenings in Spain and the streets are usually full of people out for their walk, so it will probably be busier than usual!

I think the various interest groups (republicans, catalans etc) will now strengthen/intensify their position and make Felipe's life harder but imo the majority of Spaniards will be willing to give him a chance to be an asset for Spain. And why not, it can only get better.

huh? If you think 1978 in Constitutional laws and rights is young, you have a problem:

American Constitution 1789
Australian Constitution 1900

So for now the constitution has to be amended to allow for JC's abdication and an amendment for primogeniture regardless of gender?

Back
Top Bottom