The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Courtier

I think the RF should keep the Bourbon surname. It's so regal after all.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladejesus View Post
Thanks Marsel. I didn't realize they had done that in England.
You are welcome..
I agree with amedea though that the Belgian would work just as good, if not better.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Do you believe that Infanta Leonor's Kids will reign? 35.9
Only this? People are expecting Leonor to be a bad queen, so...
Old 11-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Nobility

I think the first question is:
Can be Leonor,Queen ? The answer is that today the Spanish Constitution has not changed, it says that the throne only can be inherited by men. It must be changed for that she can be Queen.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRIS1983 View Post
I think the first question is:
Can be Leonor,Queen ? The answer is that today the Spanish Constitution has not changed, it says that the throne only can be inherited by men. It must be changed for that she can be Queen.
No Spain only has a male preference, Leonor can become queen unless she has a brother with an unchanged constitution.

Ask a similar question in Britain, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, any monarchy, if the heir's kids will actually reign, I think there will be similar results. Monarchy in general in getting less and less popular, maybe in Spain it's a little bit more unpopular than in other countries but in general the institution is in decline.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Courtier

You're right Duke. I believe Salic Law was repealled in Spain by Ferdinand VII leading to the Carlist Wars upon his death.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Yes you are right ladejesus. Fernando VII repealled the Salic Law upon is dead so his sucessor
was his daugther, Isabel know as Isabel II

Old 01-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula
Activities of the Royal Family during the year 2009

Balance de actividades de la Familia Real durante el año 2009. Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España

Google automatic translation.

Report of the 2009 SRF's activities
Google Traducir
They are doing a vast amount of events, whether there is substance in everything or the main purpose is to look busy ... let's leave aside this question.

In general I think it's the right thing to do to put the focus on Kings and Princes, however, taking on these vast number of events will be a difficult thing to keep up in the future with the Kings not getting younger and the Asturias' kids not ready for duty in the next 25 years. The number will have to drop, big time, as the SRF will be running out of people.

In general I think that the Infantas should be working much more, Cristina is kind of excused now living abroad but Elena's amout of work is not impressive, really.

To focus on a 1 man - 1 woman show (F&L) in the future is a risky strategy.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

According to an exclusive poll for SIGMA DOS para La Otra Crónica (LOC) 67.1% of the Spanish view that Letizia is prepared to the role of future consort of Felipe VI. A year ago, when LOC asked its readers if the Princess was ready to replace Queen Sofía, only 53.7% supported it.
Un 13% más de españoles la apoyan | El MUNDO en Orbyt.. | EL MUNDO
Old 10-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
I don´t see why not producing a male heir let her in a worse position. Leonor is the heiress, she can reign if she has no brothers, and it seems that they won´t have more children, so there is no problem about that.
Or do you think that the Spanish Royal Family just think that Leonor shouldn´t be queen? There have been other queens in Spain already
A male heir is still preferred by constitutional law to this very day, therefore there is some kind of pressure to produce a male heir to please tradition.

Reality is that Leonor will be Queen only if she has no brother, in 21st century it makes her kind of 2nd class heiress (only succeeding because the male heir is missing). Given "the logic of times", according to Felipe, the firstborn should be heirESS, no matter what sex (even though there might be advantages and disadvantages to this solution). It is dissapointing that Spain is one of the few countries that hasnt changed the constitution that is being labelled "sexist" in modern times, Zapatero promised to make changes but obviously he has other problems and in times of crisis he prefes to look after himself and not touch a hot topic. I wonder if a Spanish president (and the SRF) will have the guts to touch this subject, ever. Seems all parties involved are too afraid of being deselected/abolished when leaving this decision to (a maybe frustrated and unpredictable) public.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Nobility

I have been hearing strong rumors about The Third Republic. Can anyone from Spain talk about it?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

In a survey, 79 per cent said they think the Príncipe de Asturias has the support and social legitimacy to succeed the king and 86 per cent, including 71 per cent of Izquierda Unida voters, say he will be prepared to eventually take on the functions of the head of state. The IU traditionally supports a republic rather than a monarchy.

It showed that the majority of Spaniards preferred a parliamentary monarch as the best system of government for the country. However support for this is on the decline. Over a two year period, support dropped from 72 to 57 per cent whilst those supporting a republic have grown from 11 to 35 per cent.

Juan Carlos' son: Fit to be king, according to poll
Old 05-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
In a survey, 79 per cent said they think the Príncipe de Asturias has the support and social legitimacy to succeed the king and 86 per cent, including 71 per cent of Izquierda Unida voters, say he will be prepared to eventually take on the functions of the head of state. The IU traditionally supports a republic rather than a monarchy.
Not eventually, it's now. 86% says the Prince is ready to be King.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The economic downturn must have some factor in the drop in support for the Monarchy?

I would assume during better times support was higher.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:33 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The economic downturn must have some factor in the drop in support for the Monarchy?

I would assume during better times support was higher.
The Royals are not stupid and they will be on high alert these days, especially before the elections they rather avoid being seen with any politician who very frequently are present at royal events: young people in Spain are getting annoyed with politics, parties & politicians big time and there is a high risk that the Royals are being drawn into this discussion if they are not careful.

We all know what in the arab countries happened and still happens, it might start with protests against the government but can quickly end up with protests against the monarchy, like in Jordan. And Spain is not country, like any European country, that can afford to react like the arab countries did in the beginning.

Once the ball is rolling, it can become an independent movement impossible to control.

Thousands stage demonstrations in Spanish cities to protest political parties, crisis handling - The Washington Post
Old 06-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Monaco situation has got me thinking about the future of the Spanish Monarchy.

Are they fearful for the future?

The King was afraid to celebrate his 70th Birthday,Letizia is afraid to wear her new tiara & now their afraid to send anyone to the Princely Wedding in Monaco?

There's no celebration of the Monarchs birthday or his accession to the throne.The Royal Family have put away all their jewels & seem afraid to wear anything incase of upsetting the public mood.

The future does not sound too good for the Borbóns in my opinion!
Old 06-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The Monaco situation has got me thinking about the future of the Spanish Monarchy.

Are they fearful for the future?

The King was afraid to celebrate his 70th Birthday,Letizia is afraid to wear her new tiara & now their afraid to send anyone to the Princely Wedding in Monaco?

There's no celebration of the Monarchs birthday or his accession to the throne.The Royal Family have put away all their jewels & seem afraid to wear anything incase of upsetting the public mood.

The future does not sound too good for the Borbóns in my opinion!
When the SRF attended William's wedding in full style, the problems in Spain were as obvious as they are today. William is not even heir to the throne yet, Albert is a reigning prince and the relations are supposed to be very friendly.

I dont think that the economy is the reason why they are not going if they are not going, to see Felipe sailing instead is not exactly down to earth either compared to attending a Head of States' wedding that is the job of SRF, representing their country.

Monaco may be fluff but Albert is still a reigning Prince. Its not that Stephanie is getting married for the third time on Saturday.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
When the SRF attended William's wedding in full style, the problems in Spain were as obvious as they are today. William is not even heir to the throne yet, Albert is a reigning prince and the relations are supposed to be very friendly.

I dont think that the economy is the reason why they are not going if they are not going, to see Felipe sailing instead is not exactly down to earth either compared to attending a Head of States' wedding that is the job of SRF, representing their country.

Monaco may be fluff but Albert is still a reigning Prince. Its not that Stephanie is getting married for the third time on Saturday.
Exactly Duke,the economic situation in Ireland is just as bad as in Spain & we don't begrudge our Head of State & her husband a chance to attend the Princely Wedding.

I don't believe for one minute that the Spanish people are petty minded like that.Who ever went was there to represent Spain at the Wedding.The King could easily send any of the 4 Infantas inplace of Sofia/Felipe/Letizia.

What ever reason Zarzuela gives will only add fuel to the fire & we'll have more & more rumours .

Bad pr move on the behalf of the SRF!!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Serene Highness

Although I agree that the non-attendance of SRF to the Princely wedding is a bit peculiar, I wouldn't call it the end of spanish monarchy...
Old 06-28-2011, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
Although I agree that the non-attendance of SRF to the Princely wedding is a bit peculiar, I wouldn't call it the end of spanish monarchy...
Perhaps not the end but its another nail in their coffin!

Tags
catalonia, future of the monarchy, juan carlist, juan carlos i, royalist, spain, spanish nobility, spanish royal family